• Published 5th Apr 2016
  • 1,370 Views, 37 Comments

Meddling with Fate: Birthright - Spell Writer



Twilight Sparkle's newest adventure takes her far from her comfort zone into a new world torn by war and strife. Alone she must now survive and thrive during a conflict that those involved are not guaranteed to return from.

  • ...
3
 37
 1,370

Chapter 1: Beginnings

It’s a busy day in Ponyville. Outside, ponies are enjoying the wonderful day Celestia has created. The weather ponies have created a comfortable breeze as the sun just perfectly warms the air. Missing this fantastic day, Twilight Sparkle is inside her castle doing an almost excessive amount of work in her library.

Even her number one assistant, Spike, was returning from being out in the town on a market run, a very extended market run.

Twilight began humming a tune to herself as she organized and moved mountains and mountains of books something broke her concentration.

It only took the simple wrench of the hum of her cutie mark pulsing to break her concentration.

“The map!?” She said, dropping everything she was doing to rush to the throne room. To find that the cutie map was indeed pulsing, and waiting for the ones being called to show up as well. At Least normally. The map resonated with her mark placing it alone somewhere in the…

“B-badlands? There? Of all places to go alone?!” She shakily stumbles to her throne sitting down to let the nauseous feeling pass. Not even 20 seconds later though, her friends show up with their cutie marks pulsing as well.

“What do we got Twilight? All 6 of us?” Rainbow Dash, asking as she looks around at the others, before taking her seat.

“Ah hope it’s somewhere simple fer once.” Applejack saying as she walks to her seat.

Rarity smiles and walks over to her seat, sitting down and saying, “I do dearly hope it’s something simple as well darling. There’s an exuberant amount of orders I need to get done soon… Actually this may be a nice break from the monotony.”

Pinkie, oddly enough is just looking at the map. Finally she breaks he- “You’re going on a solo mission Twilight?” She says with her head tilted, looking worriedly.

“A… apparently I’m supposed to go to the badlands. Alone. Though it seems you all have your own missions to go to.” Twilight responds quietly.

Fluttershy silently sits down before saying, “Aren’t you scared? Something like this is extremely dangerous isn't it?

Twilight looks at Fluttershy about to respond before the map hums showing the others their locations. Pinkie and Rainbow Dash have to go all the way to Yakinstan. Rarity has something to do back in Starlight’s old village. Fluttershy actually has something to do around Dodge City. And, Applejack has something to do in the San Palomino Desert.

“Wow… busy day today.” RD comments looking at the map closely looking for any identifying features for the area they have to go to.

“The yaks!? Ugh, i have badddd luck going up there.” Says Pinkie, slightly distraught from the implications of this adventure.

Rarity speaks next saying, “At least I got some known territory. It must be something simple if it’s just a single pony being sent right?”

Twilight thinks to herself while the commotion in the background just escalates. ‘Something just feels off about all this. The map hasn’t ever sent us all at the same time only to go to different places… Maybe Rarity is right though, perhaps it’s just something simple.’

Twilight nods to her own thoughts and pipes up, “Alright girls. We should all go get ready to get going then. Fluttershy, mind if I accompany you on the train ride?”

Fluttershy responds happily, “Of course I don’t mind Twilight. When should we leave?”

“Uh… 3 hours? There should a train leaving then.”

Fluttershy nods, “See you then. Good luck girls.”

The mane 6 members give their goodlucks off to each other before leaving the castle going on their ways to get ready for their adventures.

Twilight then proceeds to go to her room and sits down. Calming her nerves down a little, but still sweating from her newly created stress. She goes through the motions of Cadence’s breathing technique to keep her nerves in check. ‘Spike… Spike. Need to talk to him, and Celestia, and Cadence…. ‘ She gulps down some nerves and saliva before running out of the room to go find her assistant.

Spike at the moment was relaxing in his room. Today being his day off, he was prepared to relax with a nice comic book. Settling down to relax he opens his new Power Ponies Issue 38, fresh print. His excitement pented up… and then Twilight bursts into his room with her rarely seen, but unforgettable. “Slightly freaking out but not to the point of Crazy Twi face.” He slips the comic back into it’s plastic wrapping and looks at her. “What’s wrong Twilight?”

Twilight frantically explains everything slightly too fast and frantically to be comprehensible. But, Spike understood enough from just hearing “map, badlands, dead”. “The map is sending you to the badlands?! Alone?!” He bites his lip

Twilight simply explains for him to write out some letters… Incase she doesn't come back and of course Spike objects to it. “Twilight, I refuse to make letters like that! You will come back and even if you don’t let me come along I know you will make it. I know it’s selfish but I will not write a letter like that. I refuse.”

Twilight looks at him incredulously, but she smiles, “You’re right, send them a letter informing them where I’m going and that I'll be back very soon. I gotta go get ready. Thanks for the pep talk Spike.” She trots out to get ready, still worried a little, but she got some confidence out of that conversation at the very least. She begins packing, making a short list of things she will need to bring.

She reads the list out to herself as she packs her saddlebags. “One sleeping bag, Two weeks of provisions, 3 books, a small bag of bits, and a journal plus a quill and an Inkwell to go along with it.”

She puts the saddle bag on looking around in it and testing its weight. “Well this is as far as i'm gonna get with this, might as well just get out and start going to the train station” Twilight tells herself as she looks at the supplies, grabbing two canteens with water in them and sliding them into her loaded bags.

She takes the time to trot out of the castle, not hearing a frantic Spike looking for her inside. She takes flight and flies off to the train station to meet up with Fluttershy.

It would be simple for her to avoid this, but as the Princess of Friendship she has a job to help anypony and anyone that needs help. If the map is calling for her she has a job to see it through, dangerous or otherwise. As the purple alicorn lands at the train station, she's already having second thoughts about this. Still determined, she presses forward and purchases her ticket to join her friend on the long train ride out to Dodge City. As she watches the landscape go by, she sees Spike saying something and waving. She smiles and waves back to him as she goes off on another adventure.

While on the train, Twilight idly chats with her friend. “So Fluttershy, are you excited for your solo mission? You may get to see Cherry Jubilee again even.”

The yellow mare replies softly, “I guess… I'm more worried about you. Are you gonna be okay?”

Twilight stays silent for a moment then replies, “Yes, I'll be just fine. You'll see. I'll be back before you even miss me. Besides, the location is just right near the entrance. Nowhere near the real dangerous territory.”

Fluttershy thoughtfully responds, “I could… go with you to the entrance at least, Twilight. It’s the very least I could do for you.”

Twilight thinks for a good moment contemplating her options before saying, “Alright. Just promise me you won't ignore cries for help if you hear any beforehoof. I may be a friend, but the mission should come first for this, Fluttershy. We really don't wanna ditch anypony or miss out on something. Else it will end up on our heads and shoulders to carry forever.”

Fluttershy nods, “Of course Twilight, but let’s not dwell on that okay? We still have a long train ride ahead of us and frankly… This is my first solo mission ever, I’m kinda nervous.” Fluttershy shifts in her seat smiling but still worried.

Twilight smiles and consoles her friend, “You're very capable fluttershy and you know it. So don’t worry and be yourself okay? That's all ponies can ever ask of you, and the map wouldn’t send you out here alone if it didn’t think you could do it. So just remember to believe in yourself. I mean, if you can stand up to a dragon, then I’m sure a couple of ponies will be easy for you.”

Fluttershy gives her soft smile, “Thanks Twilight, you always know what somepony needs to hear.” Fluttershy gives Twilight a quick hug and then relaxes. Twilight pulls out a book to read and enjoys the peaceful ride out to Dodge city, relaxing.

The train pulls into the station no longer than a hour later, it coming to a soft screeching halt. Twilight and Fluttershy quietly get off and walk into town looking about. The town is in quiet discourse from some issues at the farm, at least according to some ponies in town. Fluttershy looks at Twilight sadly but she puts on a firm face after a moment and trots off with the pony that gave them the information.

Now alone, for the first time in a long time, Twilight begins her hike to the crevasse path into the badlands. The winding path into the dangerous lands ahead is no easy feat and one would have a very difficult time walking it. Luckily for Twilight she has had some time to practice with her flying and is able to quickly arrive at the entrance to the crevasse path.

A guard is in her way, but upon approach he bows and moves to the side, raising the gate for her. Twilight stares at the entrance into the gorge. The small path is able to fit no more than 2 ponies side by side, and the cliffs are far too high to climb showing their unforgiving nature. Yet still, Twilight presses on and continues on her way. The entrance to the badlands is quiet and peaceful. Though at night it can get cold, she left early enough into the morning to make it to her destination and hopefully find some place to rest at said destination.

After a grueling walk she finally arrives at the entrance to the badlands. The barren wasteland, completely made of dust and cacti look at her straight in the face. She pulls out a empty book and makes a simple sketch of the area in front of her. Then she proceeds to pull out her map to see which direction she needs to go.

Following her map she arrives at a small clearing, lit up by torches and lined with a thin layer of green grass. The smell of flowers is in the air and the shuffling movement of someone can be heard. A large dual archway is in the center of the clearing, made of stone… Or something more? The archway itself seems dormant but as Twilight approaches, more sigils on the archway light up. One at a time the archway begins to hum to life, sounding older than anything Twi has heard possibly could.

The shuffling stops and from behind the archway a young human woman wearing a simple red top appears. Her hair is a dark red and on her back is a large empty wooden box. Its former contents being massive amount of weapons that are clearly seen leaning on some trees behind her.

She gives a smile that Twilight just knows is a farce and simply says, “Welcome to the Outrealm Gate! Care to visit another world my friend?”

She winks and after a good moment laughs to herself, “Never thought I’d be an anna to say that! Phew! It's a rush ya know?”

Twilight just looks at her, semi stunned.

Anna, waves her hand in front of the pony’s face, “Hellooooooooo, earth to hero! Wakeeeee uppppppp!”

Twilight proceeds to blink, “Huh? What? How is a human here? As an actual human?” She proceeds to look Anna over

Twilight then continues on to say, “Not even a human from the world I know. This is insane! How is thi-”

Anna proceeds to put a nice finger right in front of Twilight’s muzzle, “Shhhhhh no freaking out, this is a quiet place where I get lots of money. Now! What brought you here today?” Anna walks over to the gate in an over exaggerated way, proceeding to lean on the frame of the portal.

Twilight takes a moment to respond before saying, “Uh, I’m Princess Twilight of Equestria, I was sent here by my magical map that sends me and my friends out to help out ponies far and wide with their problems.”

Anna thinks for a moment to herself and then responds, “Soooo a normal hero pack huh? Well that will be 2000 bits and a little bit extra. Maybe an apple? Bet you haven't had a good apple in ageeesssss.”

Twilight looks at her and simply says, “Huh?”

Anna sits down and rustles around her stuff, “You see, simply to say, I’m a businesswoman. In exchange for the equivalent of 2000 bits I will provide you one of each of the following items: A lance, some foreign currency for the world you’re going to, and information about your new quest! Ooooohhh doing merchant stuff is so much funnn! When you're over there say hi to my sister for me okay?”

Again after a good moment finally Twilight responds, “Back up, so you're saying you know what my adventure is going to be?”

Anna replies, “Yep, pretty much.”

Twilight springs on that, “Then tell me! Any information is good!”

Anna then says, “Hmmm so you just want information huh? How about for everything in your bags I give you 3 pieces of information and this nice little necklace I wove myself.” She holds out a grass necklace, which quickly solidifies into a brass necklace with a strange insignia on it. It looks like a circle with a cross cutting it into 4 equal sections with a hole in the center of the cross

Twilight thinks for a moment, “Everything in my bags? I have some… sentimental stuff in here.”

Anna makes a thoughtful pose. “How about you lend me the books then, and I'll just keep one bit of info.”

Twilight sighs, “I'd be dumb not to take a chance like this. Will there be food wherever I’m going?”

Anna nods and Twilight half heartedly hoofs over her bags, which after being emptied out are returned to her.

Anna proceeds to go on, “Alright! My part of the deal, here is the necklace. And your information, simply to say there will be a war going on in the next world over and your help will be necessary to help end it. One way or another. Your princess, queen, whatever made a deal with the big boss on the other side years ago over this and now here we are. There are your two bits of info, no refunds!” Anna proceeds to sit down with the books looking into them.

Twilight looks at the portal quietly. “A new world, huh?. I wish my friends were here. But, if even Princess Celestia has involvement in this somehow…I have to do my duty.”

Twilight then walks into the portal.

And everything went white.

Then rainbow

And finally black.

Author's Note:

Here we go. The beginning of my newest story. If there is enough positive reception to the story i plan on doing all three paths. The order is Hoshido, Nohr and then Valla. Enjoy the fic and as always, creative criticism is always welcome!