• Published 14th Apr 2016
  • 1,518 Views, 18 Comments

The Power of Friends - kurusagi16



Many years have passed since the heroic exploits of Princess Twilight and her friends, and now, a new adventure begins to unfold, with new friendships being forged, and new trials to face.

  • ...
1
 18
 1,518

Cupcake Calamity

Cupcake Calamity



High in the sky, from the seat of her chariot, Celestia looked down upon the old, dilapidated ruins of the once great castle that she and her sister had shared, the Castle of the Two Sisters. Located deep in the Everfree Forest, it had been left undisturbed for countless years, falling prey to neglect and the elements, it was no nothing more than ruins. And it was here, that the princess hoped would bring some clarity to her vision.

"Land down there, please." she commanded. The Pegasi pulling the chariot did as she said, and landed onto the ground, near the edge of a large ravine near the castle ruins. "Thank you, please wait for me here, until I return."

"As you wish, princess." said the stallions in unison.

Princess Celestia went to the edge of the ravine and found the stone steps that led down to its bottom. As she descended down these stairs, she felt a looming anxiety inside of her. She wasn't exactly sure what she hoped to find, but she knew that if anything could provide her with the answers she sought, it was the Tree of Harmony. Concealed at the bottom of the ravine by a hidden, cavernous grove, the Tree of Harmony had long been a relic of great power and mystery, dating back even before the founding of Equestria. Celestia approached the tree with tentative steps, and lowered her head in respect before lifting it back up again.

The tree itself was made of glowing crystal, its bark bearing the cutie marks of Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Twilight, and in its branches were the legendary Elements of Harmony. Celestia stepped closer to the tree, her horn glowing as she enacted an old spell that had been given to her long ago. She touched her horn to the tree and whispered the spell, "Spiritus concordiae et pacis, audite me, et te gubernante praebueris."

The golden glow of her horn started to encase over the tree. Celestia closed her eyes and focused all her concentration on the tree. After a few minutes, the spell ended, and glowing light died down. Celestia backed away from the Tree of Harmony and regarded it thoughtfully.

"Curious." she muttered under her breath. "Very curious."

The princess opened her wings, and flew up and out of the ravine. She landed back into the seat of her chariot, the two Pegasi stood at attention.

"Shall we return to Canterlot, princess?" asked the Pegasus on the right.

"No." said Celestia. "There's still one more place I need to go to. Take me to Mythica, there's not a moment to lose."

"Yes, princess." said the Pegasi. In no time, the chariot was airborne once more, now heading on a course toward Mythica.

Looking down below at the ravine, Celestia whispered under her breath, "So, it really was you, after all."


In order to come up with a good idea for what to give Harmony, Flurry Heart went along with original plan to continue her sightseeing around Canterlot, hoping that she find something that could inspire her with a great idea. And so she wandered the streets (once again trying to stay relatively close to the castle in order to keep her promise to her great-aunts), stopping by at an art gallery, a park, the library, and a restaurant to grab some lunch. After which, she saw that she was close by Canterlot Carousel, and thought she'd take a peek inside to see what sort of fashions her aunt Twilight's friend, Rarity, had designed.

A little golden bell rang out as Flurry Heart opened the door and stepped inside. The manager of the boutique, an elegant blue Unicorn with an orange and pink mane and wearing a stylish dress, named Sassy Saddles, came out to greet Flurry Heart with a dazzling smile.

"Welcome to Canterlot Carousel!" trilled Sassy Saddles. "How can I help you?"

"I just came in to browse a little." replied Flurry Heart. "That's all."

"Of course. But if you have any questions, feel free to ask me."

Flurry Heart walked along the line of ponnequins on display, each one wearing a unique and glamorous outfit, each one lovelier than the last. She let her hoof trail along the fabric, wanting to try each dress on and see how it looked on her. But she was on an important mission, and she had to stay focused. Nothing would distract her from--

"Ooh! What's that?" asked Flurry Heart, distracted by an absolutely bedazzling gown.

It consisted of two layers, the main layer was creamy chiffon fabric with a scalloped trim, and the second layer was made of silvery netting. Dotting the netted layer were various gems, from rubies, to topazes, to opals, to amethysts. And to top it off, it was dusted in multi-colored glitter. From whichever angle the light hit the gown, rainbow hues reflected off it. Sassy Saddles walked up with a proud smile.

"I see that you have your eye on our latest gown. It's part of our upcoming Bejewel and Beguile line. Each dress is inspired from different gems and can even be custom made to match your favorite pieces of jewelry."

"It's so pretty." Flurry Heart complemented.

Sassy Saddles looked her up and down. "Hmm, it would look marvelous on you, but you'd look really breathtaking with something in sapphire blue or amethyst purple, it would help bring out your eyes." she said.

Flurry Heart nodded in agreement. Everypony back home would tell her how she looked best in sapphires and amethysts. Her thoughts turned to Harmony, as she wondered what sort of gemstone would looked best on her. She had such a lovely pale complexion, which perfectly contrasted with her black mane. And of course, there were those silver eyes of hers, which, for only a moment, almost seemed to shine when last Flurry Heart saw them. She then thought about what Sassy Saddles had just said. "It would help bring out your eyes."

Flurry Heart's own eyes lit up, as she was suddenly struck with an idea. "That's it!" she exclaimed.

Sassy Saddles was slightly taken aback by Flurry Heart's outburst and arched an eyebrow in confusion. "Pardon?" she asked.

Flurry Heart turned to Sassy Saddles with a large smile. "I gotta go, thanks for your help." Flurry Heart rushed out of the boutique, leaving an even more confused Sassy Saddles behind.

"Your welcome?" said Sassy Saddles unsure.

Galloping as fast as she could, Flurry Heart went back to castle, and raced back up to her room. She was so focused on this that she didn't stop to greet the servants as she usually did. And all the servants she passed by scratched their manes in confusion, wondering what had sent the princess in such a rush. When Flurry Heart got back to her room, she closed the door, and got out her suitcase from under the canopy bed, and dug through it.

"I know it's around here somewhere." she told herself. "Aha!" She pulled from her suitcase, a medium-sized box that contained her gem collection (which was an easy hobby when you live in the Crystal Empire). She'd planned to show her great-aunts the new and fascinating stones she'd acquired, but for now, she needed it for something else. She opened the box and rummaged around through its contents, eying each gem until she spotted the one she had in mind. She held it up to the light and grinned to herself. "Perfect."


A couple days passed, and Harmony had managed to get over the initial shock she had from Flurry Heart's surprising introduction. And yet, she could still hardly believe it, even though it happened right in front of her. The pony who'd bought some of her cranola cookies, who she rescued from that creep Auspicious, who asked if she could be her friend, was a princess. A princess! And oddly enough, the thing that shocked Harmony the most hadn't been finding out that Flurry Heart was an Alicorn or a princess. It had been seeing her cutie mark, which looked exactly like the image she'd seen in that weird dream of hers. Harmony wondered if maybe it was all just some big coincidence or something. Did she really see the princess' cutie mark in her dream or did she just imagine it? And if she did, then why? What did it mean? Harmony had went over it in her head, trying to sort through her thoughts and to try and make sense of it. Eventually, she decided that her dream was probably nothing, that it was nothing more than a weird coincidence.

And with that matter settled, Harmony was able to relax a little and continue on with her work as usual. Though, she couldn't help but think back to Flurry Heart, and how she'd rudely rushed into the cafe after saying she'd be her friend. She scolded herself, and hoped that she hadn't hurt the princess' feelings. Harmony decided that she would apologize to her the next time she saw her, which would be happening much sooner than she'd thought.

At about 11:50 that day, Harmony had been arranging a small display of blueberry muffins, when Flurry Heart stepped through the door, wearing her cloak. There was an awkward silence, as both just stood there and stared at each other. Until finally, Flurry Heart spoke.

"Hey." she said meekly.

"Hey." replied Harmony.

Flurry Heart looked down at the floor and anxiously rubbed her right arm. "I... came by to apologize, for what happened the other day."

"You want to...apologize?" asked Harmony, perplexed.

Flurry Heart nodded. "I'm sorry for the shock I gave you, I should've explained who I was first, or built up to it, or something. Instead of scaring you by suddenly showing you that I was an Alicorn and telling you that I'm a princess."

"You didn't scare me." said Harmony. "I mean, sure I was shocked and all, but I wasn't scared. And besides, you've got nothing to be sorry for. If anything, I should be the one apologizing. After the way I ran away like that."

"But you wouldn't have ran if I hadn't startled you."

"But I should've stayed and tried to hear you out."

The girls looked at one another, and then busted out laughing. "Why don't we agree that we're both sorry and leave it at that?" said Harmony.

"Sounds good to me." Flurry Heart stepped toward the counter and extended her right hoof to Harmony. "Let's try that introduction again. I'm Flurry Heart."

"Harmony," said Harmony, taking Flurry Heart's hoof and shaking it. "It's nice to meet you, princess."

"Please, just call me Flurry Heart, or Flurry."

"Really?"

"Sure, we're friends now. Right?"

"Okay, Flurry."

The girls laughed some more, glad to have gotten all that all that awkwardness out of the way. Now they could start their new friendship off on the right hoof.

"I'm going to be a bit busy here, but if you want to later, maybe we could go out and--"

Before Harmony had a chance to finish what she was going to say, the cafe door was thrust open, and in galloped Razzaroo in a panic.

"Harmony! I need your help!" she cried, frazzled and out of breath.

"Whoa Razz, slow down." Harmony held up her hooves and tried to calm down her friend. "Tell me what's wrong?"

Razzaroo took a very deep breath, and began to explain her problem to Harmony. "Okay, so it's like this, you know how I was hired to organize the grand opening of that new theater?"

Harmony nodded, recalling Razzaroo talking about it a little during their picnic. "Yeah, what about it?"

"Well, I'd finished talking to Mr Maestro, the stallion who hired me, telling him how everything was coming along great. Which it was. Until right when I got back home to go over the details of the grand opening, when I got a letter from the caterer I'd hired saying that he had to cancel at the last minute and that he would be out of town! The grand opening is supposed to happen this Friday, which is in two days, and I don't have any food to serve during the grand opening party, after I told Mr Maestro that everything would go exactly as he planned." Razzaroo Buried her face in her hooves and slumped over the counter top.

It pained Harmony to see her best friend like this, so she patted her on the back and did her best to comfort her. "There, there. I'm sure it'll all work out."

"You don't understand!" sniffed Razzaroo. "Mr Maestro is very particular. The grand opening of his theater is also supposed to be the premiere night of his new, original play. He made it quite clear that he wanted everything to exactly as he'd planned. And I gave him my word that I'd do just that."

Harmony wasn't used to seeing her normally cheerful and energetic friend act so stressed and depressed. A determined look appeared in her eyes as she asked. "What is it you need, Razz? Whatever it is, you can count on me to help you out."

Razzaroo looked up, rubbing her eyes and sniffling. "I need somepony to take over the catering and to make all the food."

"Is that all? Pfft! I can do that easily."

"R-really?"

Harmony beamed as Razzaroo looked at her with hopeful eyes. "Piece of cake." she replied.

Razzaroo's face cleared up, and a huge, relieved grin appeared on her face. "Oh thank you Harmony!"

"Don't thank me yet, first I need to now what exactly it is I'm making first."

"Right. Mr Maestro asked that there be a large assortment of cupcakes served at the party."

"Okay, how many are we talking about? Twenty? Fifty?"

"A thousand."

Harmony did a double take, not sure if she heard her right. "A-a thousand?"

Razzaroo nodded. "He asked specifically for one thousand cupcakes to be served at the grand opening party. He wants to make sure that the ponies coming have plenty of options to choose from."

"Still, a thousand? I mean, I could easily do that if I had more time, but it two days..."

The smile on Razzaroo's face slowly started to fade. "Oh. I see. I guess it was a little too much to ask of you on such short notice."

Harmony knew how important event planning was to Razzaroo. It was her favorite hobby in the whole world (next to scrap booking), and she always took it so seriously, putting as much effort into her work as possible. Harmony didn't want to disappoint her friend, so she declared, "I'll do it!"

Razzaroo blinked in surprise at her. "Y-you will? Are you sure?"

"What are friends for?" said Harmony. "What time do the cupcakes need to be delivered?"

"7:30 PM, sharp." answered Razzaroo. "Can you really do it in time."

"Like I said, piece of cake."

"Your a life saver, Harmony." said Razzaroo. "I need to get going. I'll swing by tomorrow to check on how your doing." With that Razzaroo, turned and exited the cafe. "Bye!"

"Bye." Harmony said with a weak smile. She let out a sigh. Then, remembering that Flurry Heart was still there, she turned to her and said apologetically, "I'm afraid we'll have to hang out some other time. Right now, I gotta get everything ready so I can start making those cupcakes."

"Wait. You don't intend to do them all on your own, do you?" questioned Flurry.

"That's what I told Razz I'd do, so yes, I do intend to." answered Harmony, walking over to the open sign in the window and flipping it over to closed.

"But that's crazy! You can't make a thousand cupcakes on your own."

"I can try." Harmony got her saddlebag from behind the counter and went out the door, closely followed by Flurry Heart.

"Then at least let me help you." she offered.

Harmony shook her head. "I told Razz I'd do it. There's no need for you to get involved."

"I don't need any help."

"Come on Harmony. Everypony needs a little help now and then, it wouldn't hurt if--"

"I said no! I can do it on my own." Flurry Heart was slightly taken aback by the sharpness in Harmony's tone.

"But--"

"Look, I appreciate the offer, but I'll fine." she gave Flurry Heart a small smile and said, "You go on and have fun, I'll...catch up with you later, when I'm done and I'll tell you how everything went."

"Harmony..."

And with that, Harmony went off toward the market, to get all the ingredients she'd need for the cupcakes.

I can't let Razz down. Harmony thought. No matter what, I will get these cupcakes done on time, and make sure that all of Razz's hard work doesn't go to waste.


After Harmony turned down her offer to help, Flurry Heart didn't feel in the mood to have fun while her new friend was working away on what seemed like an impossible task. So, she returned to the castle, went up to her room, and flopped over onto the bed.

Flurry Heart let out a moan. "Oh Harmony, why won't you let me help?" She rolled onto her side and looked out toward the window. "I can't just sit here and do nothing." she sighed. "There's gotta be something I can do."

There was then a loud knock on the door. "Come in!" called Flurry Heart.

A Unicorn servant entered the room and cleared his throat. "Your highness, Princess Luna requests your presence in the castle gardens, she wishes to have lunch with you."

Flurry Heart sighed again. "I'll be there." she said.

"Very good." the Unicorn bowed and left the room.

Flurry Heart got off her bed and slowly walked out to the castle gardens. When she stepped outside, she found her great-aunt Luna waiting for her at a little table that had been set up for the two of them, and laid out with an array of different sweet and savory foods.

"Good day, Flurry Heart." said Luna.

"Good day." Flurry Heart replied dully, taking her seat across from her.

Luna looked at her with concern. "Is something wrong?" asked Luna.

"I'm fine," Flurry Heart fibbed. "Just hungry, that's all."

"Alright." said Luna. "If you say so."

As she looked over the choices of food laid out before her, Flurry Heart noticed a small stack of creamy cupcakes sitting on a plate. Her stomach sunk, and she looked away.

Luna set down her fork. "What's wrong?" she asked once more.

"Nothing's wrong."

"You can't fool me, Flurry Heart. You're clearly upset by something, and I want to know what. Now, what is it that seems to be troubling you?"

Flurry Heart looked up at her great-aunt, and then back down at her empty plate. She exhaled and told her about Harmony and how she'd agreed to make the one thousand cupcakes in two days for a friend, and how she'd offered to help but Harmony had refused."

"I just don't know why she won't let me help." finished Flurry Heart. "I mean, if I were in her place, I'd ask for somepony's help in a heartbeat."

"I see," replied Luna, who'd been listening carefully to what Flurry Heart had to say.

"So, what should I do?" Flurry Heart asked.

"I recall reading about a similar problem to this from one of my sister's letters from Twilight Sparkle."

"One of aunt Twilight's letter's? What did it say?"

"It was about how one of her friends, Applejack, was given the tremendous task of harvesting all the apples in her farm's orchards. Because she refused to ask for help, it resulted in her becoming worn out and exhausted, unable to go on much further with the harvest alone."

"So what happened then?"

"Twilight didn't give up, she saw that her friend needed her help despite her stubborn refusals, and eventually, she finally accepted Twilight's help. And with the rest of their friends, they were able to complete the harvest successfully and on time." concluded Luna. "Hopefully that story might be of some help to you."

Flurry Heart thought about it, her eyes brightening as a plan began to formulate in her head. "I think it just did." she said. "Thanks, great-aunt Luna, you really helped a lot."

Luna smiled. "Anytime." she said.

Feeling much better, Flurry Heart reached over to some of the food and began piling a little bit of everything onto her plate. As she took a bite out of one of the sandwiches, she said, "Great-aunt Luna?"

"Yes?"

"Do you mind if I, stay over with Harmony for a while? Just until I've finished helping her."

"How long will you be gone?"

"Oh about...two days."

Flurry Heart waited expectantly for Luna's answer. She nodded and said, "Very well then, you may."

"Yes!" cheered Flurry Heart, pumping a hoof up the air. She then glanced at Princess Luna and then meekly lowered hoof and said, "I mean, thank you again, great-aunt Luna. I promise you won't regret it."

"I know I won't." said Luna, smiling warmly.


After acquiring all the necessary ingredients, and taking care of a few things at home (like making sure Tempo would be well-fed and explaining to him that she'd be away for a while), Harmony went to the cafe and began to get to work on her friend's special order. She worked for many hours, toiling over the oven, mixing up bowls, and dashing out frosting. She worked well past midnight, having finished baking roughly a hundred cupcakes or so. She placed them all in her delivery boxes and curled up on the cafe floor to nap for an hour or two before she would continue on with her baking.

When she woke up, she found that it was already the next morning. She rubbed her bleary eyes, and went toward the backroom kitchen to heat up the oven. Until she was stopped by a sound.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

Harmony turned to the door, her eyes widening at seeing Flurry Heart standing there, waving at her through the window.

"What in the--" Harmony went over to the door and opened it. "What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I came to help." said Flurry Heart. Sure enough she wasn't wearing her cloak anymore, and instead was wearing a cute apron with pockets an frills on it.

"But I already told you, I---"

"Don need my help," interrupted Flurry Heart, holding up a hoof to stop her from saying any more. "I know, but hear me out. I know you're probably doing all this because you want to help your friend, but if you really wanted to help her, then you'd let me give you a hoof and help to actually finish the cupcakes in time."

Harmony stood there. Flurry Heart seemed pretty determined to help her, and she had come all this way to try and re-convince her. "Your not going to leave until I say yes, are you?" she asked.

"Yep!" chirped Flurry Heart.

Harmony looked away. "I don't know, it's just that, I'm used to working on my own. I've never really worked with anypony else before."

"And I understand that." said Flurry Heart. "Really. My aunt Twilight had trouble working with others too, she used to be a bit of recluse, but then she learned that she didn't have to do things alone. It's okay to just admit you need a little help when you need it."

Harmony looked up at Flurry Heart, a thin smile tugging on her lips. "Well then, what are we waiting for? We've got an order to fill."

"Yes!" Flurry Heart pumped her hoof, and hurried inside the cafe.

"There's just one little thing I need to ask you." added Harmony, closing the door.

"What's that?"

"Have you ever baked before?"

Flurry Heart froze and looked a little embarrassed. "Er, well, no. But that's why I've come up with a solution to help speed things along!"

"Oh? And what would that be?"

"This!" Flurry Heart pointed a hoof at her horn. "I can cast a spell on the cupcakes so that they'll be cooked in no time flat. It would be better if we had uncle Spike around to help, but you make do."

Harmony looked at Flurry Heart's horn warily. She'd never used magic in her baking before, preferring to do it by hoof. But seeing as how she was had a bit of deadline, she knew this wasn't the time to be picky. "Alright then, let's get baking."

* * *

Harmony worked at full speed, mixing the batter in her large bowls, and pouring the contents into the dozens of cupcake tins. Some of the pans she placed in the oven, while the others she passed to Flurry Heart, who would use her magic to heat them up to a nice golden-brown, and then would proceed to frost and box them. While using magic was new to her, Harmony had to admit, it had produced great results so far. They were getting close to the halfway point of five hundred cupcakes.

Just as Harmony was in the middle of preparing a new batch, the cafe door opened. She looked up in surprise, wondering who would be coming in when the sign in the window clearly showed they were closed. Her eyes widened as she saw Kimono and Razzaroo walking toward her, wearing aprons and chef hats.

"Girls!" Harmony cried joyfully. She went over to them, as they pulled her into a big hug. After all the baking she'd been doing, it felt good to see her friends. But then a question popped into her head, and she pulled out of the hug. "What are you guys doing here? And why are you dressed like that?" She gestured to the aprons and hats her best friends were wearing.

"We came to help." explained Kimono.

Razzaroo nodded in agreement. "Yeah, we knew you couldn't do it on your own, so we decided to pitch in and help." she said.

"You...you came to help me?" asked Harmony.

"Of course. What are friends for?" said Razzaroo matter-of-factly.

Harmony beamed at her friends, her eyes wet as she hugged them once more. "Thanks girls, you're the best."

Flurry Heart stepped out of the back room kitchen to see what all the commotion was. "What's going on here?" she asked.

Kimono and Razzaroo saw Flurry Heart and their mouths dropped in surprise. Razzaroo was the first to find her voice, "I-is that...?" she pointed a hoof at Flurry Heart.

"Girls, I'd like you to meet Flurry Heart." said Harmony, motioning in Flurry's direction. "She's...a new friend of mine."

"Flurry Heart...as in...the princess?" asked Kimono.

Flurry Heart laughed and nodded. "Yes, that's me."

Kimono instantly became flustered. "Oh my! It's an honor to meet you your highness." she bowed low to Flurry Heart. "My name's Kimono, and this is my friend Razzaroo."

"It's nice to meet you both." said Flurry Heart, nodding politely in Kimono's direction before turning to Razzaroo, who still stood frozen to the spot. "I'm not sure if you remember, but--"

"Omigosh!" squealed Razzaroo, as she zipped up to Flurry Heart. "You're that pony I saw yesterday when I asked Harmony for help!"

"Uh, yes, that was me." laughed Flurry Heart nervously.

"Are you here to help Harmony too? How do you know Harmony? And how did she even get you to help her?" asked Razzaroo, launching a barrage of questions at her.

"Well, that's actually a funny story, see--"

"No time!" Interrupted Harmony. "We've got work to do if we're ever going to finish these cupcakes in time."

The girls nodded in agreement. "Just tell us what to do, Harmony, and we'll do it." said Kimono.

"Alright, Flurry, you'll keep on heating up the cupcakes. Kimono, you and I will handle making the batter and icing."

"And what do I do?" piped up Razzaroo, trying to contain her enthusiasm.

"You Razz, get to help with decorating and boxing the cupcakes."

"You can count on me." Razzaroo gave Harmony a salute, and the girls all headed into the kitchen.


With the extra help of Kimono and Razzaroo, things were starting to pick up, as the girls filled more and more boxes full of cupcakes.

"I think we're going to make it!" said Flurry Heart.

"Don't jinx it." warned Kimono. "We still have a long way to go."

Harmony and Kimono mixed up batches of batter and poured them into the pans, and Flurry Heart would cook them to perfection before passing them to Razzaroo, who came up with all sorts of creative ways of decorating them. Like adding fillings or adding garnish. Just as she was frosting a chocolate cupcake, she looked around to see if anypony was looking, and made a move to try and sneak a taste of some of the frosting. But before she could, a wooden spoon fell down and gave her hoof a light whack.

"Ow!" cried Razzaroo.

"No nibbling." said Harmony firmly, waving the spoon. "You'll have to wait until we're done first."

"Okay." groaned Razzaroo in disappointment.

"Psst!" whispered Flurry Heart, covertly passing a butter roll to Razzaroo. "Here, eat up so you won't try to gobble all the cupcakes we need."

Razzaroo smiled. "Thanks." she scarfed down the roll in less than a minute.

Kimono and Harmony chuckled under their breath at seeing the surprised look on Flurry's face after seeing Razzaroo down that roll so fast.

"I'm glad you've made a new friend." Kimono whispered to Harmony.

Harmony smiled fondly. "Yeah, I'm glad too."

"I'm also glad that she got you to let her help you." a little smirk then formed on Kimono's face. "Especially considering how stubborn you are." she teased.

Harmony's face grew warm. "I am not!" she said defensively.

"Not what?" asked Razzaroo, popping in between Kimono and Harmony. "What are you two talking about?"

"How Harmony can be stubborn when it comes to accepting help from other ponies."

"I'm not stubborn." Harmony argued.

"Oh yeah you are." said Razzaroo. "You always insist on doing everything yourself."

"That's because I want to be able to do it on my own. I don't want to have to trouble you girls with things I should be able to do by myself."

"It's never any trouble." said Kimono.

"You know what I think?" said Razzaroo. "I think you're actually afraid to ask for help."

Harmony could feel her face flush with color.

"You are aren't you?"

"No, I'm not afraid, I just--"

"Oh really?" asked Flurry, joining into the conversation. "Then how come it took me threatening not to leave the cafe until you said yes in order to convince you?"

"No way, you actually said that?" asked Razzaroo.

Flurry Heart shrugged. "More or less."

"Oh what I would give to see that." laughed Razzaroo. She turned to Harmony and grinned. "Looks like you've found another pony who's willing to put up with your stubbornness."

Flurry Heart and Kimono joined in with Razzaroo and started to laugh. Harmony also ended up laughing too, but only a little before she said clearly, "Enough! We need to get back to work. Those cupcakes aren't going to make themselves."

"Yes, ma'am!" said the other girls in unison, giving her a little salute, and resumed their tasks.

The girls worked feverishly, all day long and well into the next morning, stopping only on occasion for a little rest before getting back to work. Until finally, after many long and grueling hours, they finally finished making all one thousand cupcakes.

"We did it!" cheered an exhausted Flurry Heart.

Kimono looked at the calendar that hung on the wall next to the cupboards. "And we managed to get it done before Friday." she said, pointing a hoof to the day.

"I say this calls for a celebratory nap." said Razzaroo, as she passed out onto the floor and began to snore sweetly.

Harmony looked out the window, it had gotten pretty late, and a nap did sound good right about now. "We can take care of the cupcakes in the morning." she yawned. "Right now, let's get some rest."

"I second that." yawned Kimono. The girls curled up together and all fell asleep on the floor, glad to have finally finished their task together.

Author's Note:

I hope this chapter is okay. There's so much I wanted to write, and I wanted to find a way of developing Flurry and Harmony's friendship. Stay tuned to see what happens next.