• Published 21st Mar 2016
  • 2,175 Views, 476 Comments

Sonata's Crazy and Wacky Adventure in Skyrim - Sonata Blaze



After the Battle of the Bands the Sirens end up leaving one of their own behind. Sonata, lost and alone in the world, returns to the place where one life ended, determined to start anew in a new world.

  • ...
5
 476
 2,175

16: The Truth

When Sonata finally woke up she found that she had been tucked into a bed in what appeared to be an area made for students, because the bed across from her was messy and had a lot of books scattered about the place. She guessed that she and her friends had been given quarters where the new students slept, which meant that there might be some vacant positions in the College. She recalled the orcs that had attacked the College and how Aggronak had said that he had claimed some trophies to make up for not blowing the College sky high, which she assumed meant that some of the mages had been captured by her enemy.

She even found a bandage around the area that Aggronak had punched, recalling how the orc had taken one of her powerful spells to the chest and survived, though she knew that it was because she didn't have complete access to her true powers. She hated how powerless she felt without her true power backing her, though she also hated the fact that she wanted those powers to return to her at the moment. There were some good things that she could do with her powers and some bad things that she could do, so she guessed that if she ever got her powers back it would be up to whatever her mood was at the time.

"I see that you've woken up," a voice said, to which she spotted the old man from earlier, Tolfdir she recalled, standing at the edge of the small room she was in, "How are you feeling?"

"To be honest, I feel tired," Sonata replied, sighing as she looked around where Tolfdir was standing, "I... have not called on those powers in over a thousand years. Truth be told, I was actually worried that my attack wasn't going to work and that my opponent was going to walk out of the city without suffering any injuries."

"I have not seen someone command the wind like you can," Tolfdir commented, approaching the bed for a moment, "I'd love to ask you about the powers that you've mentioned, though I believe that you would want to speak with your friends before you started a lengthy explanation on what your powers do."

"My powers are a carefully guarded secret," Sonata replied, glaring at the old man for a moment as she sat straight up in the bed, "I would only reveal them to someone..."

"...baring this mark?" Tolfdir finished, removing a glove from his left hand and revealing a mark that looked like a trinity sign, though it was made up of crystals instead of circles... and had a swirl of magic around it with a pair of swords piercing its center.

"H... how did you come to bare that mark?" Sonata asked, as she recognized the mark as the one that she and her sisters used once upon a time, the magic and swords representing the Queen and her guards.

"I was told that you would recognize this mark," Tolfdir answered, covering the mark up a second later, "Adagio and Aria told me that to bear this mark meant that I was to be trusted with the knowledge of the Siren Queen's abilities and her true identity... without the fear of handing that information to our enemy."

Sonata stared at the old man for a moment, wondering what her sisters had seen in him to entrust the mark of the Siren Queen and some information to him, but she sighed a moment later. She pulled the covers off and gently pulled herself off of the bed, though as she did so she noticed that the old man moved to provide her with some aid. Together the two of them left the area that Sonata had woken up in and headed to what appeared to be the main building for the College, though they took their time considering how tired Sonata was. They passed by several mages along the way, each of them bowing their head to Tolfdir in respect, though one of them briefly paused by them and mentioned that they might be getting more mages in the future.

When they entered the main building Tolfdir had them take a left, to which they carefully walked up a flight of stairs until they stepped into a chamber that Sonata believed was where the Archmage was supposed to be residing. She instantly spotted Kree and Lydia standing near the tree in the middle of the chamber, though it took her a few seconds to realize that someone else was standing near them. This person was definitely the person in charge, considering that their robes were much more fancy than what Tolfdir and the others had been wearing, though when they turned around Sonata noticed that the person was wearing a mask of sorts.

"Archmage, this is Sonata Dusk," Tolfdir said, beckoning to Sonata before turning to his superior, "Sonata, this is Saerza, Archmage of the College of Winterhold."

"Which might have been destroyed if you hadn't arrived when you did," the Archmage said, removing the mask and revealing a cat like creature, a khajiit Sonata recalled, underneath, "For saving Tolfdir and the other professors, and not to mention the College, you have my thanks... Siren Queen."

Sonata caught her breath as she heard the khajiit speak, though as she waited she noticed that Saerza removed a glove from her left hand and revealed the same mark that Tolfdir bore. Considering that the Archmage knew the truth, and likely Tolfdir as well, she knew that it was time to tell her friends the truth about the Queen, because Kree seemed confused all of a sudden. There was one question she knew that she needed to ask before they got started, because this was something that she didn't want to repeat more than once.

"How many more bare that mark?" Sonata asked, wondering if these were the only two that her sisters entrusted this information to or if there were more she was unaware of.

"Just the two of us," Saerza replied, covering up her left hand again before beckoning Sonata over, "There's a bed around the corner, so why don't we sit you down there and then we can discuss whatever it is that you need to share with us. I'll also tell you how both Tolfdir and myself earned these marks, so that you know why your sisters trusted us so much."

Sonata sighed and followed the Archmage to the bed, though she immediately noticed that there were four chairs surrounding it and knew that she was going to have to tell them the truth. As she took her position on the bed she waited until her companions were in their seats before she even considered starting her tale, knowing that she was going to awaken many of her memories. There was only one thing that she wanted to know before she started her story, which is why she looked at the Archmage for a moment before saying anything.

"So, how did you meet my sisters?" Sonata asked, though based on what the vampires had told her she suspected that she already knew a part of the story.

"They came here searching for information on how to reforge their necklaces," Saerza replied, sighing as if she was recalling something, "though when we first met I was merely an apprentice and they were wanderers searching for answers. We first came into contact outside the College, where we each took a test that would determine if we were allowed entrance into the College... needless to say that we passed with flying colors. As we walked across the bridge I inquired about why they had come to the College of Winterhold, because I had come to study magic and learn some of the ancient secrets that were still lost to Tamriel, though that was when I learned about their shattered necklaces and the powers they were trying to restore.

Tolfdir and the other professors, not to mention the previous Archmage, could tell that they had power that currently untapped, so the three of us joined the other apprentices and we started studying magic. Aria was incredibly powerful in the art of using magic by itself, weaving together spells faster than any other mage I had seen... not to mention they were occasionally more powerful than they were supposed to be. Adagio proved to have an exceptional sword arm and a talent for enchanting items, in addition to her connection to magic that was almost identical to her sisters' control. We ventured into the nearby Saarthal and that was when we discovered that their power was definitely returning, because they were able to overcome the guardian at the end despite the fight he put up.

When I happened to save one of their lives inside Saarthal, by taking one of the nearly fatal attacks the guardian used against them, they not only healed me of my wounds, but they also gave me my mark. They asked me if I knew anything about the orc that called himself Lord Grul, though when I told them 'no' I was informed that he was an orc who desired to see the end of this world. Tolfdir and I learned that the powers that your sisters were using were only a fraction of their true powers, which they were trying to recover so they could put an end to their enemy before he brought an end to the world. We then learned that there was another Siren, one who was much stronger than they were and who, at the moment they informed us of her existence, back in another world besides Nirn.

They told me that if they were defeated, which they both deemed unlikely, then Lord Grul was going to try and call their Queen into Tamriel, which would reawaken the powers that had been sleeping for over a thousand years. They also said that, if this scenario was to occur, then we could expect to see the Siren Queen come to us for aid, whichever form it happened to take if she came to Skyrim. I tried to get all the information I could out of them, but they told me that only the Queen could tell me everything I wanted to know and that I'd have to wait for her arrival... I think you know where I'm going with this."

Sonata looked at the Archmage for a moment, piecing together the tale that she had weaved with what the vampires had told her, before sighing and making herself as comfortable as possible.

"Very well then, I guess I might as well start with the truth..." Sonata said, taking a breath as she readied herself, "I am Sonata Dusk and... and I am the Siren Queen. For realzies."

"Wait, but that means that those orcs are looking for you!" Kree commented, connecting the pieces together, "Lord Grul has been looking for you the entire time."

"We already knew that he was looking for me, but you didn't know the reason," Sonata replied, sighing as she leaned back, "I couldn't tell you that I was the Queen, not when I was sure that one of the Council of Three was a traitor that had to have sold my sisters out to our enemy. Before anyone asks, there are only three Sirens in existence. The term Siren Queen doesn't refer to being an actual Queen over a civilization, but rather the fact that I was more powerful than both of my sisters and their combined power."

"Just how powerful are you then?" Saerza asked, because she had seen Adagio and Aria's powers up close and wanted to know how much more Sonata had over them.

"Together they were one fifth of my total power," Sonata admitted, noticing the shocked looks that everyone wore, "but the problem with my power is that life started to become boring when I realize that I could easily overcome anyone and everyone that wanted to fight me, which was why I gave Adagio the power to make decisions in my stead. I let my sisters, who acted as my advisors and guards, make the decisions and I followed them, suffering through whatever consequences came when their plans failed. It eventually came to a point where we had to face off against Starswirl the Bearded, a powerful unicorn mage during our time in Equus, and we were banished from our home world."

"He must have been powerful to defeat the Siren Queen," Tolfdir commented, wondering how a lone mage could have pulled off such a feat, but considering what happened in the last few weeks he was inclined to believe that miracles were possible.

"I took no part in the fight, if I can be completely honest." Sonata replied, letting out another sigh, "He only faced Adagio and Aria, so when they lost the three of us were banished. When I had realized how powerful he actually was, to have the ability to face and defeat both of my sisters when it was two on one, I then wondered if he would have been a perfect sparing partner to get rid of my boredom... though now I guess we'll never know. I'm sure Starswirl died some years after we were cast out of Equus, though there might be a chance that he left a legacy that's as strong as he was."

"Can you explain all of your abilities to us?" Saerza asked, as she knew that there had to be something behind the Siren Queen's abilities that would want an orc like Lord Grul to act the way he was at the moment.

"No... that is something that I will not share at this time." Sonata answered almost immediately, because she wasn't sure that she could even call her former powers back into existence yet, "I know my sisters trusted the two of you, like I'm doing with Kree and Lydia, but there are some secrets that I must keep to myself at the moment..."

"Archmage! We've got a situation!" a voice called out, to which Sonata spotted an orc librarian enter the chamber, though she wondered if he had heard anything of what she had said, "That boulder that was thrown at the College yesterday is still burning... and its starting to change its shape."

"What?" Saerza asked, though as the word left her mouth she heard the sound of glass shattering and a door being torn from its holdings, to which she pulled her mask back on and approached the stairs.

Sonata looked at the khajiit for a moment, wondering how a flaming boulder could change its shape, but then sighed as she realized that this was likely her fault anyway. Grul was after her and her alone, and he was about to kill or capture anyone that dared to side against him and his seemingly endless horde of orcs. She decided that the Archmage shouldn't have to deal with her problems for her, so she climbed out of the bed and walked towards the stairs, ignoring the tired feeling that she had while she did so. She knew that her friends were walking behind her, including Tolfdir, and she knew that they would be there to assist her the moment something happened, but she planned on not needing help at the moment.

As she reached the lower level she spotted a creature that appeared to be made out of green flames and pure rock, though it was forced back through the ruined doorway by the Archmage. The instant Sonata stepped off the final step she noticed that the creature stopped looking at Saerza and was glaring at her, confirming that she was the target once more.

"That's what I thought," Sonata said, sighing as she called upon whatever magic she had left as the creature stood at its full height, "Well then, come and see if you can catch your target."

Sonata zipped behind it and forced it to turn around, but as it followed her around the courtyard she used the wind around her to carry her as if she was weightless. It was actually quite simple to avoid the creature's arms, which told her that the creature was designed for pure destruction and the death of anyone that crossed its path, but it was terrible at actually catching someone it was supposed to catch. She spent a good five minutes successfully avoiding the creature, though when it reached for her and touched the edge of her armor she decided that it was time to end this game.

She sailed to the upper walkway and forced the creature to stop in its tracks, but while she stared down at the strange creature she simply held a hand to the sky and called more of her magic to her. Clouds formed over the College as the wind responded to her call, to which she directed at the creature and lifted it off of the ground, which to the surprise of whoever was watching her. She held her hand parallel with the rocky creature for a moment, pondering what to do with it, before she grinned a bit and called upon the storm that the creature's flames were aiding. She directed the lightning at the creature's core and blew it wide open, allowing the charge to tear into it before it became completely lifeless.

Once that was done she used the wind and threw the corpse out into the water around the College, getting rid of the creature while confirming that some of her power had returned, but she was still lacking most of her formidable powers. She sighed and levitated herself back to where her friends were standing, knowing that they were going to have to resume their quest now that they had saved the College from Lord Grul. She hated the fact that they were going to have to go back to Delphine, but she was the only one who had any idea on what the dragons were doing... despite her error in thinking that the Thalmor were behind them.

She was sure that there was something much greater than some elves behind the return of the dragons, the sudden increased number of vampire attacks, and a group of cultists trying to get rid of her... and she'd get to the end of it all. And she would be sure to get rid of Lord Grul while she was at it.

--------------------------------

Lord Grul stepped out of his hut and stared at the prize that he had sent two of his lieutenants, Gurgova the Heavy and Mag'zul the Sorcerer, to capture; a dragon. Truth be told he had been expecting some disaster to befall the soldiers that he had sent with his trusted lieutenants, though the report was that they had all survived the encounter and captured his prize. Thanks to the gemstones that contained Adagio and Aria he could keep constant taps on where his target was located, giving him time to plan his attacks to further her training until she was ready to submit to his rule. Adagio and Aria would hold out as long as they were able to, but he knew that they would fold the moment their precious Queen was under his control, giving him the power that he craved.

Now that he had a dragon they could begin breaking it in and making sure that it was prepared for a surprise visit, though Lord Grul knew exactly how to break the will of creatures that were rumored to have unshakable wills. Green flames danced around his arm as he approached the dragon, knowing it would take some time to break the creature and turn it to his own goals, but he knew that he had time to kill before his target was ready.

"Do not disturb me until Aggronak returns from Winterhold," Grul commanded the orcs around him, to which he received a sea of salutes and nods, "I have work that must be done."

He grinned as he stared at the dragon, knowing that the beast would prove to be a perfect test of the Dragonborn's abilities... once he was finished empowering the creature with the power that he wielded.