• Published 22nd Mar 2016
  • 716 Views, 26 Comments

A Filly's New Hope - Mocha Star



A young filly's life is changing faster than she can understand and the changes within herself are going to change Equestria.

  • ...
25
 26
 716

Chapter 9

Nova’s eyes fluttered open at the sound of birds chirping waking her up. The warmth of the sunlight warmed her ears and neck as it broke through the curtains. The scent of food cooking filled her senses.

With a soft hum she rolled her head and looked up with blinking eyes at the room. “M-mom? Mom?!” She shouted in a panic as she stood and ran to a corner of the room, trembling and scanning the room as the previous day’s events ran through her mind.

The door was cracked open and swung slowly ajar as Tree poked his head in. “Nova? C’mon-”

“Time for a busy day on the farm?” She asked hopefully.

“Uh, no actually,” he said with a smile, “I only help on the farm wednesdays, it’s only Moonday. Come, breakfast,” he bowed slightly, “is prepared for your highness.”

“...Okay,” she said as she went to her futon and pulled the sheets and blanket up, making it. “Moonday? You’re a night pony?”

“Only because my mom loved to watch the sky. It was her special talent; astronomy. In private I call Moonday. Out of respect for the stars and my mom… by the way, that’s a very good job, filly. Most children don’t make their own beds.”

“Mom always said ‘a made bed is a made day’.”

“Hmm, I think I’ll stick to that idea. I like it,” he said as he turned, “you know where the kitchen is, table’s set and we have a guest! I think you’ll like her. She’s part of the Ponyville Welcoming Committee, hurry along,” he said in a higher tone as his tail left her room.

With almost ravenous curiosity Nova left her bed and ran after him without finishing her bed.

“Who’s the guest? What’s the committee? What’s a committee? What’s for breakfast? I don’t have to eat ‘slop’, do I? Mom made hers with crickets and ‘hoppers, mostly, are yours with the same or…” she stopped after she bumped into his legs. Looking around she noticed a new pony; a mare with her mane in long braids sitting at the far end of the table.

“H-hi,” Nova whispered as she peeked from behind his legs.

“Howdy, name’s Apple Smith of the Apple clan. What’s yer name?” The green mare asked.

“...”

“C’mon, you’re always talking and now you’re gonna be quiet?” He mused.

“Well, here’s a bushel of fresh picked apples ta say ‘Welcome ta Ponyville,” she said reaching below the height of the table next to herself, and lifted it to the surface, pushing it to the middle with a warm grin. “Best apples in Equestria, guaranteed.”

“Nova,” she said as she stared at the bushel containing no less than twelve of the largest, plumpest apples of all colors and varieties she’d ever seen that dwarfed the one she’d gotten the night before, “My name’s Nova and I’m hungry,” she said quickly as she pranced around him and reached to grab an apple with a wide mouth.

“Now, wait a little bit, Nova. Breakfast first, and great news; It’s high quality slop!” Apple and Nova looked at him with raised eyebrows. “Take a seat by a plate and I’ll pour you a ladle.”

Nova sighed and rested her chin on the table, blowing air through her lips making a gurgling sound.

Carrying a pot to the table he tossed a coaster on the table with his right hoof and placed the pot on it before turning around and going back to the stove. “Last, but not least, my specialty… da, da, ta, da~” he placed a pan directly on the table.

Nova’s eyes widened to the max as she looked at the cooked dish. “Wh-what’s that? It’s not slop, at least,” she leaned closer and sniffed intensely, “mmm, not like Mom’s.”

“It’s a quiche… oh crud… no, wait,” he smiled as he looked at her, “you eat bugs. A little manticore’ll be okay, right?”

“Uhm… isn’t that, meat?”

Apple and Tree looked between each other; then nodded.

“YUM! I love mannycores. We got them on Stallions Day and Hearths Warming eve; in honor of… something,” Nova grinned as she pushed her plate closer to the pan.

With a wide grin he lifted the lid to the pot and placed a ladle in it, scooping a large ball of oats and hay, among other things to her plate, then a scoop of manticore quiche.

Nova inhaled and held her breath. “Thankyouforthismealandtakecareofalltheslavesand momandmeandmyrealfamilyamen,” she inhaled and opened her mouth, lunged at her plate, and took a large bite of the quiche.

She giggled as she chewed and pressed her hooves to her cheeks before she fell back and swallowed, exhaling a squeak as she sat up and took another bite, this time with a second, smaller bite of the grains.

Apple and Tree looked at each other and then to the filly that was gobbling her meal like a ravenous animal.

“Uh, Sugar Bowl,” Apple said, “ya gonna taste any’a that?”

“Nah, just wait… I kinda found her yesterday and she hasn’t eaten since, probably before then,” he commented as he took a ladle and filled Apple’s plate. Then his own.

“Seconds, please!”

Tree grinned widely. “Well, at least somepony’s enjoy my cooking,” he said returning to the pot and refilling her plate.

“Ugmf,” Nova gulped her mouthful of oats, “hey, you lied! This isn’t slop,” she frowned, “this is Holiday food… oh my,” she swallowed again, “it’s not a holiday, is it? I’m not wearing a scarf or anything! Um, Miss Apple, can I borrow a scarf?”

Apple chuckled softly into her hoof and shook her head. “Ain’t no holiday fer a few weeks, and even then it’s only some unicorn day… say,” Apple inhaled and blushed after looking at the filly’s forehead, “Ah-Ah’m sorry, little miss, reckon Ah didn’t know or mean ta insult yer tribe.”

“Huh? Oh, this?” She tapped her horn, “It’ll grow back in a year, or something.”

“Well, this’ an interesting meal but I think it’s time we all ate. It’ll be an interesting day for you, Nova; you’re going to learn about farm work.”

“Not much, though,” Apple interjected, “just helpin’ the kin do some chores and whatnot. Mostly easy work while they tend to the orchard and plots.”

Nova’s ears drooped and she covered her mouth in shock. “Y-you said a bad word.”

Tree looked at Apple knowingly. “Oh,” Apple chirped, blushing slightly, “Ah, well, Ah mean a plot’a land fer tillin’ and growin’... not, back there.”

“...Oh~” Nova said as she slowly took in the information, “you mean plantation work,” she nodded and took another bite of her meal.

Apple’s jaw opened as she stared at Nova.

“Now, let’s talk about details later. Let’s just get fed and on with our day,” Tree interjected with a grin.