• Published 1st Mar 2016
  • 1,740 Views, 79 Comments

Arcane Academy: Celestia's New Student - TheDimensionRift



Join Silverlight on his journey as Celestia's new student as he attempts to graduate from the academy and become the greatest wizard in Equeastria. His only problem is: he’s an earth pony attempting to get a grasp on Arcane magic.

  • ...
5
 79
 1,740

Part 1: Chapter: 10

Silverlight jumped out of bed and stretched a bit before letting out a yawn. He noticed his roommate was already up and staring his way as she held a book in hoof.

“Today is the big day, you ready for this?” Astral laughed as she closed up a book she was reading and placed it on her nightstand where several others were located.

“You kidding? I’m always ready,” the earth pony replied back as he made his way to the door of the room. “I gotta be at my 100% best so I’m gonna get some breakfast, wanna come with?”

“Sure,” Astral responded cheerily as she hopped out of her bed and followed her friend out of their room. “I could go for a bite,”

“Well, well, if it isn’t the competition,”

Silver and Astral turned their heads to see two familiar figures trotting their way. The mint green unicorn had a determined grin on his face which rivaled Silver’s and the pink unicorn seemed to be filled with just as much glee as Astral.

“Good morning, to you both,” Cherry stated through a smile. “You guys heading to breakfast?”

“Yup, I have to get myself a blueberry muffin before the cafeteria runs out if ‘em,” Silver chimed back as the two unicorns now merged into his and Astral’s group.

“Yeah, I gotta get something to eat too if I’m gonna do my best,” a smug grin formed on Chip’s face as he began. “But of course, this’ll be my last day eating school cafeteria food. Once I’m Celestia’s student, I’ll be eating nothing but the best food at Canterlot castle,”

“I wish that were true,” Silver fired back rapidly. “But we all know that I’M the one who’s gonna become Celestia’s student,”

“Oh yeah? Well how are you gonna do that if there are no more muffins?” just as he said this, Chip took off forward into a quick gallop as he ran down the hall.

“Don’t you dare lay a single hoof on my muffins!” Silver roared followed by laughter as he galloped after his friend. “I’ll make your life a living Tartarus if there are no more muffins Chip!”

“Oh brother, those two idiots are at it again,” Astral sighed as she face hoofed herself.

“You think we should remind them that it’s Saturday and the cafeteria doesn’t open this early?” Cherry questioned with nervous laughter.

“Nah, let them figure it out on their own,” Astral laughed as her and Cherry continued down the hallway. “I heard princess Celestia should be arriving anytime now, you wanna come with me to greet her?”

“Yeah, let’s go!” the pink unicorn laughed as the two galloped in the opposite direction of where their friends had went.


“I still can’t thank you enough for being present for every trial princess,” the yellow alicorn said as she lowered her head in a bow. “However, today will be the last and final test,”

“Yes, and I can’t wait to see every student put forth their best effort,” Celestia said as she beamed a warming smile towards principal Solar Wind’s direction.

“So, how was the crystalling ceremony?” Solar asked as Celestia exited her golden pegasus drawn chariot. “Did it go well?”

“There where some complications at first, but in the end, the ceremony was completed and now princess Flurry Heart is officially a member of the Crystal Empire,” Celestia now had a bit of a nervous expression as she laughed. “The young one’s powers are overwhelming, but what’s most puzzling is the fact that the baby was born an alicorn,”

“What!?” the astonished alicorn gasped. “The princess was BORN an alicorn!?” Celestia’s nod reassured her statement which only drew more questions from Solar Wind. “I thought alicorn wings had to be earned?”

“As did I, a phenomenon like this has never been seen before in all of Equeastrian history,” Celestia’s intense look soon faded as her warm smile had crept back onto her face. “But enough of that, how have your students been doing?”

“Unfortunately, Midnight Star got into a bit of an altercation with another student and has suffered a fracture in his back hind leg,”

“Oh dear, that is unfortunate. I hope he has a speedy recovery,”

“He is in no condition to partake in the last exam today,” Solar began as her and Celestia entered through the school’s front entrance. “But it’s not all that bad, he and the student have apparently reconciled their differences and even have become friends,”

“It’s always good to hear of a new friendship being formed,” Celestia laughed. The two alicorns stopped for a moment with several royal guards surrounding them. “So, where shall the final test be held?”

“There’s a special arena which was designed for students who wished to duel and spar together on the top floor, I figured there is no better stage,” Solar Wind smiled as her and Celestia now made their way up a set of large prestigious stairs.

There was a loud static like noise which rang throughout the school as the school PA system rekindled once more.

“Goooooood morning Arcane Academy! This is Vice Principal Ignis Umbra waking you all with a few morning announcement’s. So perk up those ears and get yourselves ready everypony!”

“I wasn’t aware you had a Vice Principal Solar? He certainly sounds energetic,” the white alicorn laughed as the group if ponies made it to the top of the stairs.

“He only recently came into his position,” Solar Wind sighed as she face hoofed herself. “Ignis you feather brain, you weren’t supposed to give the announcements until I gave the word,”

“First off, I’d like to apologize to princess Celestia as I could not greet her in person, but I had some ‘research’ to take care of. In other news, students who aren’t participating in the Arcane Trials will be able to watch the final trial in the upstairs dueling room. Students, come and show your appreciation to your fellow classmates who have made it this far. There will be free drinks and food, as well as some…..entertainment. That’s all I had to say, hope to see you all there! This has been Ignis Umbra and I’m out!”


“The dueling arena? Is that why you want to see the final trial so badly?” Mary asked with her usual expressionless demeanor as she stared at the dark haired unicorn who was lying in bed.

“Yeah, there’s one match I want to see the most, and that’s why-” Midnight winced in pain as he made an attempt to get out of his bed. In his haste, he hadn’t realized how close he was to the edge and fell out of the bed.

“Midnight!” Mary exclaimed as she helped catch the unicorn at the last moment before he hit the floor. Midnight landed rather softly on Mary’s back as she helped him back onto the bed. “You shouldn’t try to do something so reckless, you could’ve further injured yourself,” the beige unicorn said with a mixture of concern and annoyance in her voice.

“Hmph, whatever,” Midnight scoffed as he sat back up on the bed and turned away.

“Wait here, and don’t try getting off on your own anymore,” Mary commanded as she exited the room in a haste.

“So, the time has finally come?” Midnight chuckled menacingly to himself as he spoke quietly. “Now I get to watch that reject fail once and for all,”

Mary entered Midnight’s room once more with a bright lavender earth pony who wore a white hat with a red cross on it. With her, she pushed a wheelchair which must have come from the medical wing’s supply closet.

“I thought I wasn’t allowed to leave until tomorrow?” Midnight questioned as he raised an eyebrow at the nurse earth pony.

“Your not,” Mary said through a chortle. “But what the doctor doesn’t know won’t hurt him,”

“But…..the nurse?”

“Remember what I said before about being able to transform my puppet’s size and appearance?” Mary asked as she smiled at Midnight and gave him a wink. In the process of explaining, Mary helped Midnight out of bed and into the chair. “Sir Trottsalot is really good at disguising himself as somepony else,”

“Impressive Mary, though I’d expect nothing less from another 1st class student such as myself,” Midnight sat in the wheelchair carefully as he attempted not to place pressure on his wounded leg. “Alright then, let’s be on our way. I want to get a good seat before the matches start,”


"All students who are participating in the final and last trial, please report to the dueling arena located on the second floor of the academy. I repeat, all students participating in the final exam of the Arcane Trials, please report to the second floor dueling arena."

"Bit of a drag that we had to skip breakfast," Silverlight laughed as he and Chip galloped down a long hallway and made a right turn.

"Yeah, but I only wish Cherry and Astral could have told us the cafeteria wasn't open today!" Chip demanded as he and the earth pony made another turn. "Next time I see them, I'ma give them a piece of my mind."

"Well get ready then," Silver laughed as he and his friend slowed to a trot as they approached a group of unicorns who stood in front of two large double doors. Two of the unicorns that Silver and Chip could visibly see were the cyan unicorn Astral and her pink friend beside her.

"So, is everypony ready for this?" Astral laughed as Silver and Chip approached them. "Rumor has it, the final trial will be done in the form of a tournament, which means-"

"We may even have to go up against each other," Chip interrupted as he tapped his hoof against his chin. "Which means you all better bring your A game."

Out of nowhere, a giant explosion of smoke appeared before the large double doors, the smoke startled the students and sent several stumbling backwards. Some students were coughing, others tried to see what had caused the smoke to appear, perhaps principal Solar Wind? As the smoke began to thin out, Silver and his friends could see a large unicorn standing before all the students, with a grin on his face.

“Remember this day students, because it is the day you were blessed by the presence of none other than he himself,” now the smoke was gone and the unicorn was completely visible. He was a light orange, almost tan. His mane was a burgundy with some light pink and red within it; his eyes appeared to be reptilian green and appeared different from the usual eyes of a unicorn. “Behold! It is I! The noble and honorable; the great and powerful; the mythical and legendary, one and only, Ignis Umbra! Also known as one of the four legendary shadow guardians!”

The unicorn stood frozen in a heroic pose which only seemed to leave several student’s nerves unsettling. Some students seemed confused, others seemed frightened, eventually the unicorn dropped his head low as he realized he wasn’t as famous as he had thought.

“Never heard of you!” a student from the crowd called out.

“Yeah I thought so,” Ignis mumbled as he hung his head in despair. He then shook off his negative thoughts, clapped his hooves together and once again spoke with energy. “Well, with that aside, it’s time I give you all the run down of how things are going to play out here.” Ignis made a scroll appear from a small puff of smoke. He used his magic to enlarge the scroll and opened it to help elaborate the rules of the final exam. “As I’m sure you’ve already heard, this final trial will be done in a tournament style free-for-all.” The large scroll which was blank only moments ago now flashed with images of each student on a tournament tree. “Now, because we’re short one entry, one of you lucky buggers will get the opportunity to battle not once, but twice.”

“Excuse me,” Astral began as she raised a curious hoof. “If this is done like a tournament, than doesn’t that mean that only ONE of us will become Celestia’s student?”

“Well your only half right,” Ignis began as he made the scroll disappear with a puff of smoke. “Princess Celestia herself will be watching everypony’s battle, it’s up to her to decide among all of you who she wants to take as a student. However, the more matches you win than the better your odds are; but getting busted out the first round or two isn’t as bad as I make it out to be. Two competitors can show exceedingly impressive skills and still have a chance, in the end, it all just comes down to giving it your all and trying your hardest.”

Ignis could see the look of concern on the students faces, of course they’d have to face off against their closest friends, he knew this will be the hardest part of the tournament.

“Listen up, all of you,” the unicorn dispatched his goofy grin and now had a smile of appreciation on his face. “You’ve all made it this far in the trials, do you know why? Its because you all show characteristics of an amazing student. Remember, the trial wasn’t mandatory, meaning you all knew how difficult it was going to be and yet you still chose to compete.” He turned his back to the group of students and looked over his shoulder as he let out a final comment before disappearing in a flash of orange light. “Your all magical, whether you’re a unicorn or not.” Silver felt Ignis’s eyes lock on to him as he said this. “I’d be proud to have any of you as my pupil, and I’m sure Arcane Academy is just as proud.”

Just as the unicorn disappeared, the large doors before the nine students began to slowly creak open. Sounds of chanting crowds and roaring students could be heard in the distance, of course everypony decided to show up, free food. Several students, Silver and Astral’s friend Moongazer included, began to trot through the doors and towards the arena. The four friends of Astral, Chip, Cherry and Silver, stayed behind; with looks of determination on all of their faces.

“Hope you guys are ready, cause I’m going to take first place!” Chip laughed.

“You might’ve if I wasn’t here,” Silverlight replied back. “No way am I letting any of you guys outshine me, that stage and first place is mine.”

“Let’s make a promise,” Astral began as she stuck her hoof out and gestured for the others to do the same. The other ponies nodded and placed their hooves on top of Astral’s. “No matter what happens; no matter which of us we have to face; no matter who wins and gets to be Celestia’s pupil; we will remain friends till the end.”

“Yeah!” Silver screamed with enthusiasm.

“You got it!” Chip followed up.

“Of course,” Cherry sang in her sweet voice.

“Alright than, let’s get this thing started!” Astral said as she galloped past her friends and into the now fully open large doors.

“Hey! That’s my line!” Silver laughed as he followed after her.

“Hey now! Don’t forget about us!” Chip and Cherry called out in unison as they dashed after their friends, giggling in the process.


“So it all comes down to this?” Celestia questioned as she stared out at the roaring crowd of students. “I don’t know who’s more excited, me or them?” she laughed as she waved to some students who looked in her direction.

“Indeed,” Solar Wind added as her and Celestia stood in a private section of the dueling arena which was reserved for important visitors for occasions such as this. “I share your enthusiasm as well.”

“Your not the only one.”

The two alicorns peered over their shoulders to see three ponies, one was wearing a smile in a wheelchair pushed by a nurse earth pony and the other stood beside them like she was a form of security; her blank expression only made her all the more intimidating. Celestia’s guards quickly approached the three but a wave of her hoof assured them that there was no danger.

“Of course it would have only been even more of a spectacle if I was participating, but I digress,” Midnight paused as he gave a sigh and waved a hoof in the air. “I’m still very excited to see how my classmates will fair in this trial.”

“Midnight!?” Solar exclaimed in confusion. “Your supposed to be resting.”

“Dearest apologies mother, but I feel as though I’ve rested enough. You of all ponies know I get fidgety when I remain inactive too long.” Midnight grinned happily as he turned toward Mary. “And with assistance from my new friend here, I feel like I’m recovering at a much faster rate.”

“You just said we’re friends.” Mary gasped in surprise as a smile formed on her face.

“Don’t push it,” Midnight mumbled through a gritted smile. “You’ll lose your new title before you’ve even had a chance to embrace it.”

“I believe the tournament is about to begin,” Celestia added as she watched the entrants make their way to the center of the round arena. “You are staying for the tournament, correct Midnight?”

“Well I hadn’t planned on it, but who am I to refuse an audience with the princess?” Midnight lied coyly with a faint trace of a smile. Sir Trottsalot, in his disguise, pushed Midnight over to the side of where the princess was sitting. “Very well than, let the games begin.”


“Guess we all managed to make it here,” Moongazer laughed as he was joined by his friends. “So, you guys sure your up for this? I mean, if you quit now it only improves my chances.”

“Yeah right!” The white haired earth pony snapped with a grin. “I haven’t lost to you yet Moon and I’m sure as hay not gonna start now.”

Another large cloud of smoke erupted from the center of the arena where the combatants were located. Silence befell the arena as a familiar voice reverberated off the walls and commanded the attention of every student watching.

“Ladies and gentlecolts, I hope your all ready!” the crowd of students began to clamor with cries of excitement as Ignis levitated a microphone only inches away from his face. “Than without further ado, let’s get this tournament underway!” Ignis’s horn emitted a bright flash of orange light once again ,which teleported all nine participants to the outside of the arena which left only Ignis standing in the center. “Now than, the combatants have already been chosen for the matches, each match will continue until one of the two participants is no longer able to battle. I will be providing a magical force field around the arena to contain any spells performed from within, meaning, students will be allowed to go all out without concern for anypony else’s wellbeing.”

“Just what I wanted to hear,” Moongazer mumbled with a rather deviant smile. “Lord Ventus will be pleased, just as long as I fight my target than everything will go as planned.”

“You say something Moon?” Astral asked as her and Silver walked over to where the unicorn was waiting.

“Hmm, oh it’s nothing, just giving myself a few words of motivation,” he laughed through a fake smile. “Just really excited ya know?” Moongazer wasn’t paying attention to what Ignis had said because he only just now realized there was one pony who wasn’t present. “Say, where’s Midnight? I know he of all ponies wouldn’t show up late.”

“Actually, he won’t be participating today,” Astral began to explain. “He injured himself two days prior and won’t be able to perform for awhile.”

“Wow, that is rather unfortunate. I hope he’s back on his hooves soon.” Moongazer lied as he tapped a hoof on his chin. ‘This isn’t good, Lord Ventus ordered me to fight Midnight Star only……guess I’ll have to go with plan B.’

“For the first match, we have Moongazer vs Silverlight! Will the contestants please step forward and prepare for battle!” Ignis’s words were soon drowned out by the outbursts of excitement and ecstasy emanating from the crowd of students.

“Right off the bat huh?” Silver galloped in place in a fit of excitement. “You ready for this Moon-”

“Proctor!” Moongazer yelled to Ignis as he attempted to get his attention. The roaring crowd now fell silent, silent enough that everyone could hear Moongazer’s next words carefully. “Proctor! I withdrawal, I forfeit the match!”

“Moon….what are you-”

“This whole tournament thing is just a bit too much for me,” Moongazer laughed as he scratched the back of his mane nervously. “The pressure's really getting to me. I’m so nervous right now I can’t even think straight, guess I’m not cut out for the position of Celestia’s student after all, hahaha.”

“A forfeit? That’s unusual,” Midnight pondered as he tapped his chin with a hoof.

“What’s that?’ Mary questioned quietly as she leaned in closer to Midnight. “Is something wrong?”

“Well it’s just Moongazer,” Midnight began as he crossed his hooves and stared below at the lavender unicorn. “He usually appears really lax and hyperactive, though we’re not seeing that right now. Right now he’s calm, collective, almost as if he’s analyzing something.”

“Well he did mention the tournament leaving a nervous impression on him, maybe his nerves are getting the better of him.”

“That’s just it,” Midnight continued as he uncrossed his hooves and adjusted himself in his chair. “Underneath his childish exterior is a pony who strives for success and a sense of accomplishment. He’s taken on a few S rank assignments more difficult than this; and yet here he is, forfeiting his match all on the account of a little bit of stage fright?” Midnight shook his head in disbelief. “Something just doesn’t seem right.”

“For a pony who didn’t have any friends, you sure seem to know a lot about him,” Mary giggled softly to herself as she was met with Midnight’s usual glare.

“I had no friends to keep close, so I studied my enemies,”

“Yet you went in blind against me?” Mary raised an eyebrow as she watched Midnight’s gaze trail away from her. “So what did that make me than?” Midnight continued to watch the arena as he attempted to ignore Mary’s question. But no matter how much he did, his face betrayed him as it flushed with a bright shade of red.

“So yeah, I guess I give,” Moongazer laughed with a hoof behind his head. “So I guess I should leave than?”

“Yes, anypony who gets eliminated is to leave the arena.” Ignis said with little enthusiasm, he cleared his throat loudly before bringing the microphone back to his muzzle. “Due to a forfeit on his opponent’s part, Silverlight wins the first match and will continue onto the next round!” Ignis spoke proudly but the arena still rung out with ‘boo’s’ and jeers from the onlookers.

“Hey what the hay!”

“That wasn’t even a real fight!”

“I came here to see Midnight fight, not these losers!”

“Yeah! Bring on a real fight!”

“Oh my,” Celestia gasped with more laughter than concern. “The students appear to be getting lively, and from some of the comments I’m hearing it sounds like most of them came to see Midnight’s performance.”

“Hmph, of course,” Midnight said as he closed his eyes. “It’s not often they see a 1st class student fight with his full potential. My fight would truly be a spectacle to behold.”

“Ponies, ponies, please. With all this aside we’ll just proceed on to the next round.” The vice principal’s word’s seemed to hush the angered students as they all began to simmered down.

“Moongazer!” Silverlight called after his friend as he watched the lavender unicorn trot toward the arena exit. “Where are you going!?”

“I thought you heard me, I forfeit, you win. I think I’m gonna catch some shut eye in my dorm.” Moongazer threw his friend a faint smile before he disappeared out the large set of double doors. “Consider it a congrats present.”

“Wait Moon, what are you talking-” Moongazer dashed out the exit before he could get out his question. “About? He seemed a bit off today.”

“Well he did say the pressure was getting to him,” Astral giggled nervously as she ushered Silver’s attention back to the arena. “Anyway, you should keep your attention focused on the tournament.”

“Yeah, your right,” Silver grinned with with determination as a fire lit on his eyes. “Alright then, bring it on!”


Moongazer entered the outside courtyard of Arcane Academy as he let out an exhausted moan. He sat in the center of the yard and released his transformation to reveal his true grotesque features after a flash of brilliant green magic. His arctic blue eyes; his greenish black coat which was littered with several holes around his forelegs and hooves; his curved horn which protruded out of his forehead and his sharply carved fangs which hung from his muzzle.

“Ugh, I’m so tired of having to play this role,” Moongazer said to himself as he collapsed on his stomach. “Sigh, and than the fact that the love here is limited only makes it more difficult.”

“Now, now, you know it’s not the best idea to drop your transformation, especially in broad daylight like this.”

The changeling hopped to his hooves and turned to face a red velvet pink haired unicorn. She had an evil grin on her face as she slowly approached the changeling.

“My apologies Lord Ventus,” the changeling transformed into his unicorn disguise in another flash of green light. “My transformation isn’t as easy to control as yours, I need a steady supply of love to maintain this form.” Moongazer shifted uncomfortably in his position as Ventus now stood before him. “And that stupid name, ugh, I hate it.”

“Patience now Sidewinder, you’ll only have to be here until you can guarantee me Midnight Star,” the velvet unicorn licked her lips as though she was licking the remnants of frosting leftover from a cupcake. “With a conduit of dark magic like him by my side, I’ll be one step closer to my king,”

“Unfortunately that’ll take even longer now that he’s injured,” Sidewinder realized that his back hoof still looked like that of a changeling, he quickly shook it which transformed it into the leg of a lavender unicorn. “With all do respect Lord Ventus, I'm tired and must replenish my magic supply, I’m heading back to my dorm room.”

“Of course, I won't stop you,” Ventus disappeared in a quick bolt of red magic, leaving behind a faint trail of velvet smoke and her last echoing words. “Do keep an eye on dear Midnight for me though Sidewinder, I’d hate for him to be led astray.”