• Published 19th Feb 2016
  • 799 Views, 33 Comments

TALES FOR NIGHTMARE NIGHT! A collection to read AFTER the lights are out! - De Writer



This is a collection of short, fun Nightmare Night themed stories

  • ...
1
 33
 799

Theme Party

Theme Party

~~ ~~ ~~

It was well after dark. There was a polite knock on my door.

I opened it on a small gaggle of foals who looked for all the world like Changeling nymphs. Standing proudly behind them was a pony who looked to be a Changeling Queen.

“Nightmare Night! What a fright! Give us something sweet to bite!”

I grinned and brought over my Foal Bowl. It was filled nearly to the brim with nicely wrapped foal treats. They bore the mark of Caramel Treat’s Sweets on the wrappers.

As the foals dug into the bowl, filling their loot bags, I saw a sad look pass over the Queen’s face. “This late, and your bowl is still full? I am sorry to see that.”

I sucked a lip and replied, “Blame the police for that. Last year, I set up a haunted house party. I had a big ghoul diorama. The police raided the place and dragged me downtown, accused of murder and cannibalism. They let me go the next morning, when it was shown to be phony diorama.

“The arrest and publicity ruined my reputation, though. Not even the formal written apology of Chief Grim, stopped the rumors. That is it, framed on the wall, right there.”

I was surprised when the Changeling Queen nodded. “I know. Their idiotic “raid” did not help their haunted house, a block over, at all. It was still a failure.”

I shrugged. “I put out notices for a party this year, but not a single pony came until you showed up with these foals. Want to come in? We can still have games and contests if you like. It is all set up.”

The Changeling Queen spread her insect like wings part way and replied, “We would be honored. Thank you.”

The foals poured into my house! The Queen followed more sedately but with an appearance of real happiness.

We had the apple ducking going full blast and a number of the foals were delightedly throwing sticker balls at a target. I had racked up prizes for that and even had some pies out on a table, ready to serve up.

There was another knocking at the door. Hard banging accompanied by a loud demand of, “Open Up! We are the Police!”

Standing next to the closed door, I called back, “Do you have a warrant?”

“We don’t need one! Changelings were seen entering the house!”

I whistled a few bars of the Funeral March. “Yes, actually, you do need a warrant to even be on or near this property. After last year’s debacle, Judge Coldheart issued a formal protective order, requiring police to have a warrant for any intrusion onto this property. You know it, too. You are the same pair that messed up so badly last year!

“As for CHANGELINGS, on NIGHTMARE NIGHT? Are you out of what passes for minds? Have you ever heard of COSTUMES? Theme Parties?

“How many foals have you arrested so far? Did you confiscate THEIR candies, like last year when you, according to the formal investigation, STOLE mine, intended as part of my haunted house party?”

With a growl of rage, they kicked in the door, just in time to be lit by multiple flashes. Romaine, roving reporter of the Ponyville Prancer, and bane of deliberate civil misconduct, was shooting pictures as fast as the shutter on her camera could click!

The horrified expressions of the two cops at being photographed in the ruin of the door was reward enough. They ran like rabbits.

I turned to Romaine and said, “Thank you, Chrysalis. That was perfect.”

With a sort of rippling effect, the Changeling Queen stood there, chuckling happily. “You are welcome. That made this a really memorable Nightmare Night.”

Her nymphs played happily late into the night.