• Published 10th Feb 2016
  • 593 Views, 12 Comments

Tragedy of a Nerd - Jack-N-Walker



After feeling sorry for himself for long enough, Jack tries to make up for his past

  • ...
6
 12
 593

6th grade

Author's Note:

(I apologize for taking so long, school work is getting the majority of my attention so I can make graduation and go on to college. Also let's take a vote, should Jack get together with Fluttershy, or be the odd man out in silent content?)

"It's the 6th grade, Frost, Rainbow, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Twilight, Apple, Rarity, and I are all still friends. Frost and I are still into Pokemon, but the Yugioh community is dying out, but that won't deter us from enjoying it. I've enjoyed telling the story so far but this is where it starts to take a t-"

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.

"Well, That's my alarm, I'll see you all in the next chapter."

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.

The incessant droning beep of my alarm is what had woke me up today. So I get up, get dressed after a shower, dry my hair, brush it, and then brush my teeth. By this time I had changed styles to wearing a green t-shirt with blue jeans, black and white high top converse, a grey hoodie, and a blue backpack.

Dungeons and Dragons had become a regular thing for Fluttershy, Frost, Twilight, and I, speaking of Frost, he and I were supposed to walk to school together today. I pick up my backpack and lunch box, hugging my mom and kissing her cheek. "Bye, Mom, See ya Jojo, See ya Dad." I wave to them as I leave and make my way to meet Frost and see seven familiar faces. I smile and they wave to me as I make my way over to them.

We all begin walking to school together, Frost and Rainbow having another competition, as Fluttershy and I walked at the back, making small talk. "So, how was your weekend?"

I look at her and she looks back at me. "It was spectacular, I couldn't wait to see all of you again, How is Joan?" I look to her and beam her a smile.

"Well, she is fine, but she wants to have another sleepover again....She really likes you guys." I say as she giggles and looks to the others.

"Hey, do you all want to spend the night at Jack's to visit with his little sister this weekend?" They all agree that it would be a nice event so Frost pipes up.

"Don't worry Jack, I'll go so you don't get lonely." We both knew he only wanted to go to be with Rainbow, so I just shrugged it off and mimicked Frost in a somewhat belligerent way.

"Alright, I'll talk with my mom about it, you all can talk to your parents, excluding you Frost, We share a brain, your parent's know it is my house this weekend, then your's next." I turn to Frost and we make eye contact knowing that we would be up all night with games and solo Dungeons and Dragons.

We make our way to school and to our classes. After a couple hours of classes, Recess begins and so I head to a quiet spot to play Pokemon, I was used to Frost hanging with Rainbow at Recess at this time so I started my emerald save on my still functioning Gameboy advance sp and wait for Fluttershy to show up and sure enough she did, Leaning her head on my shoulder as she always did as if I were her live pillow. "Hi, Fluttershy." She smiles and responds.

"Hi, Jack. Playing Pokemon Emerald?" I nod and start the game up and play with her watching. She fidgets as if she wants to say something but can't so I look at her and tap her shoulder.

"Fluttershy, you seem a bit fidgety, is there something you want to ask me?" She looks to me and nods.

"As....As you um...know, The dance is coming up soon...and I was wondering if you were going to go." I look at her.

"I guess I'll go. I've got nothing better going on." She smiles and gets up.

"I'm going to go talk with Twilight for a bit." I wave as she leaves and the bell rings ten minutes later.

After school Frost and Apple Jack's brother, Big Mac approach me, Frost was the first to speak up. "Big Mac here just scored a cute date for the dance."

He seems a bit embarrassed but Big Mac speaks up. "Eeyup." I look at him and hold my fist out for a fist bump.

"Nice, who's the lucky gal?" Aside from his usual Eeyup's and Nope's, Big Mac speaks again.

"I asked Fluttershy." As he boasts as he high-fives Frost and I drop my jaw.

"Dude...You are the luckiest guy in the world." I laugh in the most convincing manner I can and look at my watch. "Crap, I have to get home, See you guys later." As I wave and walk away, I think to myself. 'Yeah, no...I'm not going to that dance...' And so begun my slow spiral to becoming an introverted, apathetic, person.

The night of the dance approached and my mom called me from my room so I run downstairs to her. "Yeah mom?" She hands me the phone. "It's from your friend Frost, and Fluttershy." I grab the phone and put it up to my ear. "Hello?" from the other end I hear them all bickering.

"Jack, Where are you? We're all waiting for you at the doors to the gym." Apparently there was a payphone in the school.

"I...I uh...I'm not going. But you can wish the others all the best for me." I look to the side feeling somewhat guilty after promising Fluttershy that I would be there.

As Frost tells them I hear a collective "WHAAAT?!?!" I pull the phone from my ear until the noise dies down and get chastised by them all, one after another but I wish them all the best for their dates and hang up the phone.

"Jack, Honey, what did they want?" I look up at my mom. "Hm? Oh, they just wanted to know if I was going to the dance or not, I told them no but wished them the best on their dances." My mom gets a mischevious grin on her face.

"I bought you that outfit for a reason." My face twists with horror.

"Mom....No...Mom, don't do this. DAD! HELP!!!!" My dad just chuckles and points at me.

"Jack, just do what your Mother says, accept the fact that no matter what anyone does she is going to get you in that suit and to the dance. It's easier that way."

I fall to my knees, feeling as if someone had thrown a javelin to my ego. "Even my own Father is against me."

After about ten minutes or so of fighting to not get dressed up for the dance my mom drops me off at school. "Good luck, Honey. Mommy loves you. I'll pick you up around Ten." I begrudgingly nod and walk inside.

"I don't want to do this." As soon as I spin around on my heel to walk back out, Frost grabs the back of my shirt and drags me inside.

"Sorry Jack, but this is for your own good." I decide to quit fighting it and go along with it. I sit at one of the tables and play the Gameboy advance sp I had stashed in my inside pocket. I watch the others having a grand time as I sit with one of my teachers, having small talk then Twilight approaches me, and drags me to the dance floor.

"Twi, I don't dance." I state quite blatantly she doesn't seem to care as she drags me to the dance floor and slow dances with me. To humor her I decide to try to dance with her to get this over with. From what I can see she seems to enjoy it, but Fluttershy is not too happy with seeing this.

Frost gave me a thumbs up and I glared at him as he slow dances with Rainbow. I give Twilight a smile as she lays her head on my shoulder Fluttershy does the same with Big Mac. As the slow dance ends, I go back to sitting with my teacher, enjoying the talk. the night goes on without incident until Fluttershy approaches me.

"Hey, Fluttershy, enjoying your dance with Big Mac?" She nods and encourages me to follow her to the floor.

"Come on Jack, I want to get at least one dance in with you before the night ends." I give up all hope of resisting...She looked too beautiful to say no to especially the way that elegant and flowing blue dress accented her eyes.

"Alright, but remember, if you are going to try anything, Big Mac is your date." She nods and seems to be in a state of pure bliss just dancing with me. As for myself, I quite enjoyed the moment with Fluttershy. One could go as far to say that I'm beginning to develop a crush on her.

As I get home and strip to my pajamas, I hop in bed, trying to forget what happened tonight, wishing I would have just stayed home to not see Big Mac dancing with her but it happened... The next day at school was seemingly normal same lunch from home, same classes, same friends...That was until Frost had drug me from my relaxation to see something...and this something wasn't anything I had wanted to see. Fluttershy was cornered by two jerks. Next thing we know Big Mac drags them off to have 'words' in other terms, beat the snot out of them. After the spectacle takes place, I guiltily look at Frost and walk away, deeming myself unworthy of any of their trust, or friendship, 'Why wasn't I there to protect her? I mean she is okay now, but what will she think of me now...? How awkward will the sleep over be? So many questions only time has the answers to.'

The weekend comes along and Fluttershy avoids my gaze so I take it as a sign to back off to my room as Rainbow and Frost as well as Pinkie and Apple Jack are playing tag in the yard. Fluttershy, Twilight, Rarity, and Joan, make their way to Joan's room to talk about girly things while I plug my headphones into my gameboy and play Pokemon crystal and attempt to forget what I had seen that week. Frost finally comes in blushing. I look at him in bewilderment.

"Frost....What happened?" After I finish speaking she puffs his chest out and he speaks up in an attempt to be brave.

"Pinkie...and Apple got the idea to dare me.....to...to...to ki-k-k-kiss Rainbow...It wasn't that bad....But...Her lips were soft..." I facepalm since I knew this would happen sooner or later, but hadn't expected it to happen so soon.

"Well....Good luck with that." They call Frost into my sisters room for whatever reason, so I ignore it and decide to go make myself a sandwich, 'I'm a bit hungry, Turkey and cheddar cheese? Or PB&J?' I think to myself as I approach the fridge and resolve the quarrel by making a turkey and cheddar sandwich. When I get back in my room, I see Fluttershy on my bed.

"Uuummm....Weren't you all doing something to Frost?" She shakes her head and looks at me.

"They were only having a pillow fight, I needed somewhere quiet to go." I nod, understanding her predicament, and I feel slightly awkward at what had happened earlier in the day.

"Big Mac is a nice guy, huh? A strong guy like that should be able to protect you." I look at the floor, insinuating that she should date him already to set it in stone and get my worries over with. She nods and looks away. I eat in awkward silence and finish my sandwich soon after, deciding to take the dish it downstairs. On my way back up, I expect to see Fluttershy on my bed still but just as quickly as she arrived, she went back to my sisters room. 'Oh well...what happened earlier today was unforgivable...She deserves a guy like Big Mac...I have no right to even try to win her love.' I think to myself as I hop in bed, preparing to sleep.

As soon as I fall asleep, I feel something sit on my bed and intentionally attempt to wake me, so I get up and look around at whatever it could be and see Twilight. "Twilight, It's nearly Nine at night...What do you want?"

"Jack, Fluttershy has strong feelings for you...But she doesn't know what to do, she told us that you told her she deserves a guy like Big Mac. Is this true?" I sit up and rub my eyes, nodding as she stares at me.

"Yes it is. Why?" Twilight shakes her head at me in disbelief and raises her hand almost as if she wanted to slap me.

"Because you are the only guy who has treated Fluttershy as if she were an equal, not a shy girl...Not as if she were a nobody." I look down to the bed.

"...I...I can't begin to accept her feelings for me, after what happened at school, I'm not the one she should love. She deserves someone that can protect her... and all I could do was sit and watch. If you haven't noticed, I'm not as athletic as Big mac, nor am I as strong. The only thing I have going for me is my brains and my ability to escape harm."

Twilight shakes her head even more, and she punches my chest in frustration. "Jack...Fluttershy just wants you to know she has feelings for you. She has loved you since the summer of fourth grade when you carried her across that river we all swam in. Why can't you love her back?"

I rub my chest, feeling a bit sore. "Twilight...I just told you. I can't love her because I am weak, she needs a strong guy like Big Mac." I slowly get quieter by the end of the sentence, almost to a whisper as a tear forms in Twilight's eye.

"Alright...If I can't convince you to love her, maybe you will realize it sooner rather than later..." She climbs down from my bed and heads over to my little sisters room, sniffling. After that Rainbow snuck into my room to lay with Frost, or so I had thought until my blanket was ripped from on top of me.

"Jack...I want you to date Fluttershy, and she also wants to date you. The only thing holding you back is yourself." I look at her as I rip my blanket away.

"Rainbow, you above all the rest of the girls should know the unspoken guy code. You don't steal another guys lady. I've seen the way that Mac looks at her. It is a look of love and longing, it may pain me but think of it this way, she won't have to worry about bullies any more and they will all flock to me, leaving the rest of you alone." I look at the ceiling as I lay back down. "Someone has to be the guinea pig, and if it is me then so be it. That is the way the world works, Rainbow."

She punches me in the arm and stares directly into my eyes. "Jack, Get over it. You're being petty, we all know that you don't have to be strong to protect her. And we'll get Mac to love another girl it is as simple as that." I roll over and mumble to myself.

"Fine. If you get Mac to love another girl, I will date Fluttershy." I curl up into a ball as Rainbow delivers the news and comes back into my room to cuddle up with Frost and fall asleep next to him. I see my sister's room light go out and I realize that my answer would finally earn me some sleep.

-Seven am-

I get up in routine with my alarm clock even though it doesn't go off on the weekends and I make my way downstairs. Being the first one up I pour myself some cereal and slowly, almost sluggishly eat it and leave a note saying I'm going to the arcade to waste some time. As I finish the note I grab my bag and make my way to the door until a gentle hand stops me. "Jack, I wanna go with you." I look up and see Fluttershy. After a five minute argument, I give up and revise the note to include Fluttershy.


Soon we arrive at the arcade and I sit at one of my favorite games, Polybius, and begin playing until the character dies as Fluttershy watches in awe. Fluttershy spots a game she and Fluttershy played as children and so she asks if we can play. I agree and we begin playing ninja turtles. A few hours pass and I look at my watch lead her to a few more games until it is around 8:39 pm and I lead her outside. "Did you have fun?" I ask as I look at her with excitement still in my eyes from having a second player.

She nods and whispers. "Will this answer your question?" She leans in and plants a simple yet sweet kiss on my cheek, her cheeks blushing a vibrant red color in the moonlight. As she pulls away, I put a hand on my cheek and hold it there. As my brain catches up with what just happened, I blush even more red than she was. We begin walking home in a comfortable silence and she grabs my hand.

Not wanting to ruin the moment, I let her grab my hand without protest and I lead her home. As I get home everyone except my parents were waiting there for us to return home with sly grins on their faces.