• Published 5th Feb 2016
  • 297 Views, 0 Comments

Friendship Study - Shippofan2k



A story about Starlight Glimmer and my OCS as well as characters from MLP and their advenures

  • ...
 0
 297

Chapter 5: Breakthrough

Chapter 5: Breakthrough

Sketch Melody sat at her easel, the project she was working on being for Filthy Rich and his wife Spoiled Rich. They were one of her highest paying clients, and she was never late with any of their orders, whether it was a family portrait or an art lesson for their darling daughter Diamond Tiara.

At the rate she was going she was hoping to make her deadline, but with all the thoughts running through her head it was hard for her to concentrate, first she got interrupted by the Cutie Mark Crusaders breaking her window yesterday, then Princess Twilight’s student coming to her door and distracting her along with the work she had piled up.

Out of those things they didn't compare to what weighed on her mind the most, her sister Diamond Sparkle hardly talked to her and ever since their mother's passing she had grown more distant towards her and her father. She, however, did not feel like talking to anyone about it, she didn't want to trouble anyone with her problems, in her mind, everyone had bigger problems to deal with.

About to put the finishing touches on the painting in front of her, a portrait of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, when she heard somepony knocking at her door, for once deciding to take her time, she finished the painting before going over to the door, letting out a yawn with her eyes closed as she opened the door. When her eyes opened, she saw three of her friends and Starlight Glimmer standing in front of her door. Fighting the urge to slam the door in Starlight a face, she let out a flustered breath before speaking.

“What do you want?” Sketch asked.
“We want to help.” Says Starlight, a small smile on her face.
“I don't need help.” Sketch denied, trying to keep from snapping. “Please leave me alone.”
“Sketch don't shut us out.” Peace heart squeaked.
“We only want to see what's going on with you.” Golden Reader chimed in.
“We understand if you don’t want to talk about it, but we are your friends.” Crescent Moon added.
“Look I’m fine.” Sketch growled her voice dropping in tone.
“We knew you would say that,” Starlight said. “Which is why we are trying to get your sister.”

Sketch looked at them and let out a snort.

“Good luck with that.” Sketch stated. “She's not showing up.”
“Why would you say that?” Starlight asked.
“My sister has been in and out of my life since my mother died.” Sketch stated, quietly turning her back to the ponies in her doorway. “She hardly visits, the only time sees her is when she wants me to watch Shooting Star.”

Motioning for the others to follow her to her living room, they all sat down. Starlight was curious to hear what Sketch had to say, was her sister why she was so mad? Sketch sat down on a chair.

“Sea Gazer and Flare Spark will be here soon.” Golden Reader informed them.
“Yeah, then we can talk!” Peace Heart added cheerfully.

Out of the corner of her eye, Starlight could have sworn she saw Sketch Melody’s ears flatten, perhaps she herself was nervous about this. There was another knock at the door letting them know somepony else was there as well. Starlight trotted over to the door, as if on cue Flare Spark jumped in tackling Starlight in a hug, Sea Gazer, of course, was right behind her.

“We couldn’t get Diamond Sparkle, she had something to do.” Sea Gazer said with an unimpressed look on her face. “Apparently, meeting up with a stallion for a date is more important than Sketch Melody.”
“Are you serious?” Starlight asked feeling appalled at what she had heard.
“She can go jump in a pig pen.” Flare Spark said. “Sketch needs us, and we need to let her know she matters!”

“I can hear you out there!” Sketch called out.
“Good!” Flare Spark shouted back, running into the living room and tackling her best friend out of her chair and pulling her into a bone crushing hug. “I’ve given you enough space with this, enough shutting ponies out.”
“Flare Spark!” Sketch choked out in gasps. “I…..can’t….. Breathe!”
“Oops…” Flare Spark said, hopping off Sketch Melody.

The mint greenish unicorn sat up regaining her breath before looking att her friends and Starlight.

“You guys won’t leave until you have a talk with me, am I right?” Sketch asked kinder than earlier as if she was finally done with hiding and being grumpy.

Everypony nodded, taking a seat while Sketch got everyone something to drink and sat down across from all of them. After taking a vote as to who was going to start Starlight took a deep breath and collected her thoughts.

“Sketch Melody.” Starlight began. “Where did all of this begin?”
“So you want my story first? Very well.” Sketch replied.

*a few months before last winter*

Sketch was helping her father around the house, her mother was sick and couldn’t help him like she usually could. Sketch was finishing up the dishes when there was a knock at the door. Using her magic she placed the last plate in its place, trotting over to the door.

“Coming!” Sketch Melody said, opening the door in front of her was her sister Diamond Sparkle. “Oh hi, Diamond Sparkle.”
“Hey, kiddo!” Diamond Sparkle said walking in. “I’m just here for some bits.”
“Again?!” Sketch thought to herself.

This was not the first time her sister had come around asking her parents for bits, but as of late, she would only show up just for that, at first her sister would visit often to spend time with her and her family, but as time had gone on she stopped showing up as much.

“Mom and dad are in the family room, right?” Diamond Sparkle said, using her wings to fly over her sister and walk into the family room.
“Um yeah.” Sketch said, trailing off.

After collecting bits from their parents and leaving, Sketch trotted over to their mother with a fresh glass of ice water, a soft holly green unicorn with a short light chocolate-colored mane. Her turquoise colored eyes looking at her youngest daughter. A small smile on her face, she took the cup weakly in her magic, careful not to spill it, she took a sip and set it on her side table.

Over time, Sketch’s mother had gotten worse, the worse her mother got her parents began to fight, Just like before when Flannel Star lived with them, it brought back bad memories, thankfully enough Sketch had Sea Gazer and Flare Spark to distract her this time around as well as her other new friends she had made. Sadly it could not stay that way forever.

*Back to the present*

“What else happened?” Starlight asked, wiping her eyes with a tissue.
“Ever since my mom died….. I didn’t want to bother anyone.” Sketch Melody said, her ears still down. “I know it sounds stupid, but I thought everyone else's problems were more important, that's why I locked everyone out of my life.”
“Your reasons aren’t stupid,” Starlight responded.
“Starlight is right.” Golden reader agreed.

“How is it not stupid?” Sketch asked, looking around at them. “I was rude to everypony”
“Because you’re our friend.” Peace Heart answered with a smile.
“Peace Heart is right.” Golden Reader said. “Besides, no pony is perfect.”
“The only thing you need to do is apologize to those you snapped at, it might take a while for them to forgive you, but they will at some point,” Starlight said walking over and putting a hoof on Sketch Melody’s shoulder. “And if you’ll allow me, I would like to help.”

Sketch allowed a smile to come to her face, tears forming in her eyes as she nodded.

“Don't forget us!” Flare Spark shouted with a pout. “We want to help too!”
“Yeah!” Crescent moon agreed with a grin.
“You’re not getting rid of us that easily.” Sea Gazer said with a snicker.
“Stop it I'm gonna cry more!” Sketch laughed.

After a good laugh, everyone got into a hug.

“Come on!” Peace Heart said to her friends with a wide smile. “Let's go!”
“Where?” Crescent chuckled.
“All around Ponyville!” Peace Heart squealed.
“Why not!” Sketch said with a grin looking a Starlight. “We have a new friend to show off!”
“Really?” Starlight asked feeling joy fill her heart. “I’m your friend?”
“Of course, you are!” Sea Gazer agreed with a grin.

With that the seven of them dashed into Ponyville, To make memories, Starlight felt a sense of pride and accomplishment. After a night of having fun and Shooting off fireworks, connecting as friends and getting to know Starlight and vice versa. Sketch was walking Starlight back to the castle of friendship.

“I really am sorry for how I acted.” Sketch said while they walked, kicking her left hoof into a small rock.
“No no, it's ok,” Starlight said. “I’ve had my fair share of crazy.”

The two shared a giggle as they walked up to the castle, smiles on their faces as the fireflies buzzed around under Princess Luna’s moonlight. Once they were at the door they stopped and looked at each other.

“If you want, the girls and I planned a Spa day for tomorrow, since you are our friend now, would you like to join us?” Sketch offered.
“Sure!” Starlight said with a smile. “See you girls tomorrow!”
“See you tomorrow Starlight! I’ll be at the spa after I stop at Sweet Apple Acres!” Sketch replied, trotting off after Starlight made it inside.

Starlight let out a yawn, she had used a lot of energy, but she learned a lesson, it's ok to have baggage, but holding it in isn't good, it takes a good group of friends to talk about it and have some pony there for you. When Starlight made it to her room she wrote her own essay for Twilight to read about what she had learned today. Once she finished the essay she climbed into bed, dreaming of the fun times and adventures she would have with her new friends

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long for me to put this next chapter out but its here! I hope its not too rushed and that i edited it correctly. anyway have a nice day/night everypony!!