• Published 3rd Feb 2016
  • 326 Views, 1 Comments

Butterflies And Strings - ForgottenDreams



Fluttershy finds a new friend in the Everfree forest

  • ...
 1
 326

A Spring Picnic

It was a beautiful spring day in Ponyville ponies about doing whatever it is that they needed to do, bees swarm the fields pollenating the flowers and the birds singing along to a playful little hum of a little yellow pegisus who was the town's certified animal caretaker and element of kindness with her pet angel bunny hopping next to her. Usually she'd be busy all day taking care of her animal friends tending to their individual needs and making sure that they all got along and were happy, but today was a peaceful one and most of them were off doing their own thing so it was more or less a rare day off for her. So today she was off to Sugarcube Corner to pick up an order of goods to take to a picnic she was having with her friends and their respective pets. As she trots along town square the sweet smell of fresh baked cake goods fillies the air the closer she gets to her destination making Angel bunny's mouth water.

" Oh Angel you just ate a couple of minutes ago. I' d hate to spoil your appetite before we meet with the others." Without missing a beat her own stomach growls in protest. "Well maybe if they're not too busy we can both get a small snack." The rabbit hops with delight at how easily his so called owner bends to his way of thinking. Just who is the master and who is the pet is always up for debate between these two. She is always so timid that every pony takes advantage of her. She may be the town's animal caretaker but for the most part she is the town's verbal punching bag. Really the only ones who treat her like a mare are her friends; even though they themselves sometimes pressure her into doing things that make her unconfortable. At least they do it for her own good and she truly does appreciate their efforts in broadening her horizons. She enters the bakery to see Mrs. Cake baking up a storm.

"Oh just in time Fluttershy! I just finished Twilight's order of special cupcakes for your picnic later today. Each one is a different flavor: we have blueberry with rainbow frosting for Dash, apple cinnamon with nutmeg for Applejack, French vanilla buttercream with blue sugar crystal sprinkles for Rarity, Funfetti with strawberry icing for Pinkie, triple chocolate with whipped purple icing for Twilight, and I made for you a new recipe of banana cream with coconut frosting." Each cupcake was a masterpiece of art decorated with their cutie marks. " I also threw in some freshly baked pet treats for you to take home." Mrs. Cake winked to Angel who was jumping with joy.

" Thank you Mrs. Cake my animals will love them. Um..do you think i could have some um...gingersnaps as well? That is if you have any of course? Its ok if you don't I'd hate to be a bother to you " Fluttershy pays for the order and places the box of cupcakes into her saddlebag with care.

" Sure do but they're a day old if you don't mind I'll throw in a discount for them. How many would you like?"

"That's fine um... maybe a dozen or so? Whatever is ok with you is...fine." Fluttershy tucks her head behind her hair.

"Well ok here I'll make it a baker's dozen. Could you do me a small favor? On your way to the park for your picnic could you deliver this order to Octavia for me? I need to take the twins to the hospital for their shots and Mr. Cake is sick. She would like the pastries to be delivered at the same time as my appointment. can you see she gets it?"

" Um well I....um ok. If it will help you out I'll do it."

"Thanks! Here's your gingersnaps! Free of charge!" putting a large box on Fluttershy's back and the bag of gingersnaps in her saddle. Thankfully the box was well enough insulated to keep whatever pastries in it from burning poor Fluttershy's back. She wobbles her way out of the bakery with a now very impatient bunny leading the way.

Ponies gawked and laughed at the struggling pegisus and her funny walk trying to carry so much at once. She just wanted to hide behind her bangs and cry but every time she tried she'd lose balance and almost drop the package that was entrusted to her. Unfortunately for her Octavia did indeed live close to the park but at the top of a hill ,and she had to keep her wings splayed out to keep the package from falling off her back making it burn with over exertion. It had taken a lot longer than what a delivery pony would have to get to Octavia's residence; sweat was now dripping from her face blinding her; making her climb up the hill even harder. An angry little bunny was tapping his foot as Fluttershy finally made it up the hill eliciting a long and weary sigh from the poor mare. When she catches her breath rings the doorbell and waits. Shortly there after a somber grey earth pony answers the door.

" May I help you?"

"He..hello miss Octavia I have your order from Sugarcube Corner Mrs. Cake asked me to bring it to you on my way to the park." handing over the delivery

" Yes well this would have been fine if it weren't two hours late and the contents completely drenched in sweat! I had a rehearsal here at my home and had nothing to feed the other musicians with; so we were forced to practice on an empty stomach. Do you know how irritable it gets when the sounds of stomachs growling in unison are louder than your music? No I guess some pony like you wouldn't. Well it doesn't matter you've already ruined this afternoon and I very much wouldn't want your sweat covered body to touch any of my belongings and ruin my evening. So please take this DELIVERY off of my hooves and leave." Octavia slowly closes the door in Fluttershy's face making start to tear up. Angel gently pulls on Fluttershy's mane and points at the park she sniffles in response.

"Well I hope the others don't mind if I bring this with me. After all it would be rude to just leave it here and spoil. Who knows maybe whatever is inside will be good?" With that she lifts the box on her back and begins to walk to the park.

Thankfully as she got closer to the picnic site her friends spotted her and met her half way. " Geeze Fluttershy you didn't have to buy that many cupcakes!" chaffed Rainbow Dash as she grabbed the box off of her back.

"I didn't Mrs. Cake asked me to deliver that to Octavia on my way here, but I was late so she gave it to me."

"Well lets see what it is." replied Pinkie who should already know since she works at the bakery.

"Awe" they all said with big shiny eyes. In the box was a beautifully decorated red velvet cake with chocolate notes dancing across a vanilla whipped background and individual edible ponies and their instruments. At the top was Octavia with her cello.

"This cake is amazing! I can't believe Octavia didn't want to keep it! It is absolutely gorgeous!" proclaimed Rarity

"Well too bad for her it's ours now!" answered Rainbow Dash

"Here here!" giggled the rest.

The group of friends had their picnic with no interruptions and went their separate ways as the sun touched the horizon bathing the sky in a blazing red orange. Fluttershy let her wings droup to the ground too tired to fold them to her sides; Angel quietly snuggling in her mane. By the time she walked through the front door of her cottage the sun had already set. She gently places Angel in his bed takes a quick shower and goes off to sleep.