• Published 15th Feb 2016
  • 501 Views, 17 Comments

Tales From the Jingleverse - R3D4K73D



Welcome to the Jingleverse, where a collection of tales have reached epic proportions of both fame and infamy. Follow along as tales from and of an immortal unicorn, an anonymous mob boss, a socially awkward shapeshifter, and several others are told.

  • ...
1
 17
 501

PROLOGUE: Pt. 4: Interlude 1

~*~{Selena & Cælia}~*~

"Are we done yet?" Selena groaned, her muscles aching from walking to and fro, placing posters that proclaimed the party of the pink pony she had come to know both as 'Jingle' and 'friend' in the short time they knew each other.

"Thou could'st not be getting tired now of all times, sister," Cælia teased,"we have yet to get to the fun part!"

"I am not in the mood, sister. We already chose the gifts we are to give our friend. What else be there to do?

Jingle looked at the other unicorn appalled, giving her a frightful chill.

"What dost thou mean 'what else be there to do?'?", Jingle spoke,"There be many a thing to do, should one such as thyself look!" Jingle started closing the distance between Selena and herself, "Dost thou not see the gifts that hideth under thy muzzle?" Selena, noticing how close the awestruck mare was getting, decided it was best to backstep away from the advancing unicorn as she continued her sermon, "The grass that thou could'st frolic in? The clouds thou could'st watch?" Selena hit something. Looking back, she saw that she was cornered between two walls. When she looked back, she could see the mare closing in, "The games that we could play? Surely, introducing me to thy friends and family could'st easily be done by thee?" By now, the blue and pink unicorn mares were face-to-face, Jingle's eyes boring their way into Selena's very being- this, she was more sure of than any other thing that had ever crossed her mind in the past, "And we can't forget about the most obvious thing we could do." Jingle voiced, "Dost thou wish to know it?"

Selena gulped, trying her best to swallow all the tension that she was feeling. A crisp breeze blew, cooling the sweat that had formed on her brow as she looked for any escape she could take to present itself.

Jingle had decidedly taken the silence as confirmation, "I know that we have known each other for a short time, but I am certain that thou wilt like it as much as I would. 'Tis something that takes its toll on the inexperienced, but methinks thou could'st handle the physical exertion. We could go at it until one of us finish first, but that doth not mean we have to stop. Cælia could join as well, but I feel it wouldeth be more meaningful if 'tis only us, though she couldeth watch if she wisheth; I encourage her to do so even. In the end, though, we may just lie on the ground, gasping for our breaths whilst sweat saturateth our fur and we think back to the wond'rous highlights fill'd with excitement and energy."

Jingle had stopped her little tirade and looked at the cornered mare, noting perplexedly at how her face had shifted into a magnificent shade of mulberry.

"Jingle," the slightly bothered voiced of Cælia spoke, "what dost thou mean by saying such things?"

"A race to finish with the posters, of course." Jingle said, turning to find Cælia crimson-faced and stiff-winged, "What did thou think I meant?"


~*~{Capricious}~*~

Hmm?

This is interesting. You see, I wasn't expecting to play host to you so soon. In all honesty, I figured that I would have been left alone until one of the later tales... Well, other than playing my role in this one of course.

I suppose introductions are in order; you already know me as "Capricious" (if I reveal too much about the story, the author may just find a different "character" to fill my role, but with all due respect, who else could pull this role off better than yours truly?) I suppose this is where you introduce yourself to me now. Go on, I can wait.

...

...

What? You didn't think I was serious? What. Is. Your. Name?

...

See? That reader knows their manners.

Now that we more or less know who each other are, I can tell you what is happening where I am, which, to be honest, is nothing much, but the story must go on or else I may not be part of it anymore.

How is it that these ponies can stand being in these cramped bodies? I think to myself handing a bag of popcorn to a beige-ish earth pony mare who is more than likely insignificant to the rest of the story. They don't even seem to notice how cramped they look in these awkwardly shaped bodies. I am getting cramps just looking at them. Great! Now I'm bored too. Why was I even sent to this town?

Now, for the sake of the story, something caught my eye. The best way I could describe this "something" is that it was an amorphous, pale green cloud of smoke that had -for lack of a better word- congealed into a cloaked figure that nary another soul seemed to notice. Smiling (somewhat like this pony you all know but won't see until this tale is finished :pinkiesmile: that pony. (there's an interesting story of how Jingle and her meet, but that story is for another time.)), I flip my 'open/closed' sign around and trot off to a relatively secluded area knowing that the figure will follow me.

I stop and turn to the figure as my smile increases, "NEX! How are you my good friend?!" I exclaim, startling the figure.

"DONT DO THAT!" he screamed in a meek voice, "It's bad enough that Master Belphegor ordered me to supervise you, Master Loki."

"Now, Nex, what did I say about using my true name in public?"

"That I shouldn't, but Master Belphegor said-"

"How is Belphegor, that brother of mine, doing nowadays? As a matter of fact, how are all of my brothers doing? They never really talk to me much since I was sent here to do this job."

"They're doing fine, Master Loki, but-"

"What did I say abou-"

"MASTER LOKI!!!"

I really wasn't expecting him to get so angry. I went quiet, not because I was afraid (which I wasn't... shut up.), but because I supposed that I should listen to what he was trying to say (totally wasn't afraid...)

He continued, in a calmer yet still annoyed tone, "You have been out of Tartarus for five years now. Throughout all that time, you have been tasked with finding someone capable of being the catalyst. Your brothers are starting to think that you are neglecting your duties. You are a Tartaran Prince for Maker's sake, Master Loki; with all due respect, you should have been able to complete this job four years ago."

I sigh wearily, "I am doing my job, thank you very much. It's just so boring. Do you know what the most exiting thing in the last few years was? It was tax day. The lot of them scrambling about at the last minute just so they wouldn't be caught with tax evasion. What's more, being a Tartaran Prince isn't as fun as it would be since I was left with whatever my seven elder brothers didn't claim. Can you guess how much it was?"

"You're just going to-"

"They left me with nothing, no, not the door to the void that dearest Brother Belphegor claimed, nothing."

"At least tell me that you are close to finding a capable catalyst, Master Loki."

Just then, a gust of wind blew by and I was assaulted by sheets of parchment to which I did the most reasonable thing I could think of in quick response; I screamed like a... (Really author? Really? Like any one of your readers would believe that I would scream like a little filly.)

It was just my luck that, FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER, Nex started laughing at me.

"OH HUSH UP ALREADY AND GET THESE OFF OF ME!"

"Whatever you say Master Loki, Princess of Tartarus."

Thankfully, we had gotten those infernal sheets off of me, save for the one impaled on my horn.

I took it off and read it, a trademark smile adorning itself upon my face, "I believe I may have found our catalyst Nex, and she's having a party tomorrow."

Author's Note:

9627
7123864
467238
93451
9
57193
896572
2738456
6423


974
19826
2635974
7463
6359782
8215
2631974
74835
263



4311/57/4/43.0021/54597.97728/0981.0/06/887548.4/6684159/0.425/848674.9//8695/86/06.9/36979590./5760879/88./94850//098/6.940/11/098/7.4305426/56.91/667760/0.9/36979590./876/635652.4/86612512.4/86617177./12053149/1.585441/499.96695/682/9.81417//614/2.6/0112/698/8.449848/55/0.8709866/95./07628/732/6.1530/318/31.53/312799/3.07646/7881.27/01/2697/0.434/90/1563.293/206073./80/054/3532./53520//152/3.1/391/44/281.4/862796/66.9/46597/425.97/547/7616.0/33/087/076.02197/4995.737/843189.042197//036.93/554/1462.3/756486/56.932235/425./12097846//3./4331/0240/3./81/5697/08/3.312977/425./99/0545/62/0.447/20798//1.933/17/0624.5493/27945.//


Special thanks to editor/pre-reader Dragonblade0196 and pre-reader LunarPrince.