• Published 17th Jan 2016
  • 1,798 Views, 32 Comments

Destinies Rewritten - fluffinthepuff



Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer, and Twilight Sparkle are the best of friends. What happens when their destinies tear them apart?

  • ...
2
 32
 1,798

An Unlikely Ally

The bell rang, and as it did, hungry foals rushed out of the classroom and out to the playground in the back of the school. As Starlight stepped outside, she instantly raised a hoof to her face to shield her eyes from the blinding sunlight radiating onto the land. As her eyes adjusted, Starlight found herself looking out onto a fenced play area, complete with swings, picnic tables, and a massive play structure. Looking around, Starlight almost immediately found Sunset eating a sandwich under a tree. She made a beeline toward the tree, plopping down beside her friend.

"Why don't you sit at one of the picnic benches?" She inquired, looking at the ground. "It would probably be cleaner than this."

"Meh, I don't think a little dirt on your sandwich ever hurt anypony. Besides, pretty much all the ingredients came from the ground at some point." Starlight looked at the sandwich she had taken out. She supposed that was true, being that the wheat in the bread and all the vegetables came from the ground. For awhile, the two unicorns ate in silence, until Sunset felt nature calling. "Hey. I gotta go to the bathroom. I'll be back in a sec." Starlight nodded as the orange filly abandoned her lunch and made her way to the main building. As soon as Sunset was out of sight, Starlight continued eating.

As Starlight ate her lunch while patiently waiting for her friend, She looked up as she was approached by two other unicorns. Seeing that they were obviously making their way toward the tree, Starlight's mask of shyness instantly flipped on. "Well well well. What do we have here?" Starlight looked up to find a pink unicorn filly with a giant curly blond mane staring down at her with a smug look on her face.

"Haven't seen you around before. Did you ever attend magic kindergarten?"

"N-no." Starlight stood up. "I happen to come from a little village along the outskirts of Equestria. I moved to Canterlot about a month ago." She paused at the sudden spark of courage igniting within her. "Why do you care?"

"Well, whatever your name is-"

"Starlight!"

"Well, Marmite, if you think you're good enough to be one of us, how about a duel?" Starlight faltered at this proposal. A Duel?! She was reasonably good with magic, but having the ability to overpower somepony? That was stretching quite a lot outside her comfort zone. "Well, whaddya say? If you think your such hot stuff, why not showcase it? Everypony's waiting." To Starlight's horror, that was true. A throng of other fillies and colts had accumulated around the scene, each face expecting a swift answer of exception to the proposed challenge. Starlight curled within herself, and the default fear and shyness overcame her newfound boldness almost immediately.

When Starlight didn't answer, things just became worse for her. The offending filly smirked at Starlight's display of fear. "Biting off a little more than we can chew now, aren't we?" A glint of pure superiority sparked in her eyes, and the unicorn's horn ignited in a lime green aura. Starlight squealed in surprise and panic as she felt herself being pulled from the ground by a seemingly invisible force. She watched the ground leave her sight as she was lifted into the air, looking down at the mocking crowd below. She closed her eyes, as if willing them to leave her alone by this simple action.

Until, however, she heard a scream and a blast of magic, sending her careening to the ground. As she made contact with solid earth, she felt pain explode everywhere on her body. Starlight began to cough as the particles brought up by the thick cloud of dust she kicked up invaded her breathing. She soon broke down, whimpering in anguish as tears rolled down her cheeks. She stayed in that position for what felt like an eternity, until a set of hooves gently pulled her from the ground and helped her stand upright. Starlight looked down at the hooves helping her. Finding them to be lavender, her eyes followed them up to the main body of their owner. Seeing who was helping her, Starlight couldn't say a word as a soft voice with a slight squeak spoke to her.

"C'mon. Let's get you cleaned up." All Starlight could do was walk toward the school building, guided by none other than Twilight Sparkle.

As Starlight was led into the bathroom and gently set onto the floor, she finally felt the ability to form words slowly return to her. "T-twilight?!"

"Yes, I'm here!" the purple filly rushed to her side, a damp cloth held in a magenta aura in tow.

"W-what happened?" Starlight mentally slapped herself for wording her question so stupidly. But Twilight seemed to understand.

"You were just being antagonized by Honey Hearts, Ms, Honey Sparkles's niece. She thinks that just because her aunt is a high ranking teacher and close friends with Celestia that she's a big shot and can treat everypony like dirt. Hold still." Starlight flinched as pressure was applied to one of the many scrapes she had received from the fall. She was so scared to ask Twilight her next question, but it came out before she could properly restrain it.

"Aren't you supposed to be a little like that too?" Twilight paused her cleaning, holding the damp cloth in her magic in midair. Soon though, instead of getting yelled at, or left in the middle of the bathroom, Starlight saw a smile creep up on the other unicorn's face, quickly followed by laughter.

"BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Twilight burst out in a violent fit of laughter, collapsing the ground. "AHaha. Hoo Hoo! Hehe." Twilight cleared her throat as she regained her composure, turning to face a confused Starlight. "That explains a lot."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you hanging out with Sunset." Twilight chuckled again before continuing. "She's always been bitter about this one time in magic kindergarten where I beat her in a magic competition. She still holds a grudge against me for it."

"Then why was everypony cheering for you when you walked in?"

"Oh, that was because my big brother Shining Armor was performing some crazy spells as a confidence booster for me in the hallway. He can do some pretty amazing things when we're hanging out together. Aaaaaaaand there. I've done what I could, but we should really head down to the nurse's office to get something better." Starlight looked down at her body. All the scrapes and bruises were clean, but she could agree that they definitely should get some bandages. She looked up as a hoof was offered to her. "Need a friend to go with you?" Starlight's mind stopped dead in its tracks. There's that word again, Friend. What, is there something going on with her social gravitational pull? Quickly snapping out of her stupor, Starlight once again took the hoof offered to her and rose from the floor. She began walking, using the other pony as a crutch. The two laughed when they fell, but soon got into step, as they hobbled together toward the nurse's office at the front of the school.

Author's Note:

Whew! Two chapters in two days, I am on FIYA! I can't tell you how many panic attacks I had when I accidently closed the tab when it had a ton of unsaved writing on it (having a touchscreen computer can be tricky.) Anyway, it's late, I'm gonna crash. Fluffinthepuff is out, PEACE!