• Published 17th Jan 2016
  • 1,798 Views, 32 Comments

Destinies Rewritten - fluffinthepuff



Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer, and Twilight Sparkle are the best of friends. What happens when their destinies tear them apart?

  • ...
2
 32
 1,798

A New Friend

It was a bright, sunny day in Canterlot. Unicorn parents from everywhere were walking up the steps that lead to the most prestigious school in all of Equestria. For Diamond Glimmer and her husband Mint Spark, things were no different. Diamond Glimmer looked down at her daughter and huffed in disapproval.

"Hmph! Well, Starlight, I hope you don't mess up on your first day. This is, after all the most prestigious school in all of Equestria and you just barely got your cutie mark in magic." Diamond took a moment to look around at the competition. "At least you actually have your cutie mark. Many of these foals can't possibly be of age yet. Their parents are just embarrassing themselves with the audacity of bringing them here." Starlight couldn't care less about the other students at the moment. Inside, she was in turmoil with the combination of first day jitters and the pressure she was receiving from her parents. Starlight decided to keep her head down until the family made it into the classroom.

Inside, the room was already buzzing with activity. Foals were running around, parents were conversing with themselves and the teacher, all in all, it was a little too much for Starlight. Suddenly, her frightened blue eyes were met with soft plum ones.

"Greetings, little one. I'm Ms. Honey Sparkle. I assume that you're Starlight Glimmer correct?" Before Starlight could confirm the information, her mother stepped into the conversation.

"Yes, she is." The younger mare held out a hoof.

"Then you must be Diamond Glimmer." The older mare nodded, but didn't shake the hoof offered to her. The slight frown created by this notion was easily replaced with a smile as the Honey colored mare bent back down to the smaller unicorn's level. "Why don't you go have a seat then, Starlight. We should be starting soon." Starlight nodded and hurried along, eager to escape from the judgmental eye of her parents.

Starlight looked around, but the only desk not occupied by somepony's school supplies was a desk that was right beside a filly with a wavy red and gold mane. Starlight slowly made her way over to it and gingerly took a seat. The silence between the two fillies lasted about a minute before the orange filly started talking.

"Hey." Starlight looked up from the top of her desk.

"Hi."

"I'm Sunset Shimmer. What's your name?"

"M-my name is S-starlight Glimmer."

"Hey, your name is kinda like mine!" Starlight gave her a look of confusion. "You know. Our first names have something to do with the sky, and our last names have something to do with sparkles." Starlight's eyes widened a bit in realization.

"Oh, sorry."

"Hey, it's okay. So, what made you want to come to magic school?"

"Oh! Well,it wasn't exactly my choice, so much as my parents'. They've always pressured me to be the filly that they want me to be."

"Well that's not cool! You should always be free to be the pony you wanna be!" Starlight nodded. She supposed she could be a little less scared of her parents.But what if her parents didn't like that? What if- "Hey. You okay?" Starlight snapped from her thoughts as she looked up into the other unicorn's concerned eyes.

"Y-yes. I'm fine. Just thinking about what my parents would say." She looked back down again. "I want to be the pony I want to be, but I can only imagine what my parents would say if I tried." She sighed. "I guess I'm just afraid to admit that I'm scared of my parents." She looked back up at Sunset, only to find her facing the front of the room with a glare on her face. She mumbled something darkly. It was when Starlight turned to look in the same direction that she saw what the other pony was supposedly angry about.

At the front of the room was a crowd of foals, all cheering. It wasn't until the crowd thinned out in the middle that Starlight could see what all the commotion was about. Another filly had arrived. Her hair was straight, a midnight blue color with a pink and purple streak running through it. Her coat was a light purple, with a pink six-sided star as a cutie mark to top it all off. Starlight looked back at Sunset.

"Who is that?" Sunset looked back at her, her face still twisted with anger and spite.

"That, Starlight, is none other than the infamous Twilight Sparkle." She paused for effect." She's been the star of every class since magic kindergarten and the teacher's pet to boot." Starlight looked back at Twilight.

"Surely she can't be that bad."

"Oh, trust me, she is." As soon as Twilight took her seat, Ms. Honey Sparkles stepped up to the front of the room.

"Alright class. My name is Ms. Honey Sparkles. Welcome to Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns." The room quieted almost instantly as all attention was channeled to the front of the room as their teacher began talking. After a while, Starlight's attention was turned toward a piece of paper dropped onto her desk by a teal aura. She opened the folded paper and found a note.

She really isn't all that.

Starlight waited a moment before taking out a pencil and writing back.

I don't know. She looks pretty nice. Maybe I should go try to talk to her.

Trust me. You don't wanna. Stick with me instead.

You mean, like friends?

Exactly!

Starlight looked up from the note and over at Sunset, who nodded. Starlight looked back down at the paper held in her magic. Friendship. That's a thing that she hasn't experienced in a long, long time.