• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 831 Views, 33 Comments

Trapped In Canterlot - TartarusFire



A gift is bestowed from birth to a pony. This is his or her True Name. She was given a name that would sunder her life.

  • ...
1
 33
 831

C30 - Bats And The Night

"Vein, It’s two in the morning."

"So?"

"Your shift ended at nine p.m. What happened to your replacement?"

Vein tapped her hooves. "Well, I kind of saw that every pony was getting hot and bothered, so I asked her if she wanted a day off, and well..."



***



The thestrals were waiting patiently since waking up in their rather comfortable cell. Their Captain was mute, staring into the hallway. His ears perked as he noticed a yawing, white unicorn walking into the cells’ hallway.

"Good morning gentleponies. I’ve got some news for you." Interrigator grabbed a small stack of papers from his saddlebags. "These," he levitated the stack into the cell, "are release forms. None of you are here for illegal charges, so fill these out, and we’ll have you released shortly."

"About Celestia Damned time," the Captain spat on the floor, "We’ll get out just in time for our next rounds. How you all feeling to that, boys?" Unanimous agreement echoed from behind him.

Interrogator rolled his eyes. "Yes, back to the subject of paperwork, all of you should leave box seventy four blank, if any of you are pregnant, well we’d have serious concerns."

The Captain looked at him, "Seventy four?"

"Yes that’s right; why?"

"How many things are on here?"

"Oh, there’s something around fifty checkboxes, and forty blank lines for personal information."

He growled at the length. "Can we fill it out in pencil?"

"It’s not advised, but it is a pain for the ponies that have to go through it."

"I don’t care. We can’t just all share my pen and expect to finish any time soon." He turned around. "Alright. Every pony, take out your note pencils used for documenting notes. We’re going to get out this morning."

Interrigator adopted a grin. "Eight ponies with over a hundred questions each, all written in pencil? It sounds like some pony has a grudge being settled."

The captain was already writing things down as fast as he could along with his squad. "Dang strait. Have you ever been promoted?"

"Nope."

"Good, keep it that way. There’s no more pay, more things to do in less time, and all the infernal paperwork at the beginning and even more through the entire job."

"I’ll try my hardest to keep where I am. Thank you sir." Interrogator walked away, leaving the cell key within easy reach for whenever the guards finished. "Oh, by the way. Make sure to read the text at the bottom of the page. You’re all exempt from your shifts for assuming you are released during working hours. Take your time."



***



Red Cross had been ranting into Vein’s face for some time. Vein had gotten used to it as background noise as she worked the other nurse’s shift. She glanced up at the clock, ten minutes until Cross’s shift started again at three.

"Hey, Cross?"

"Don’t even let me get started on why—"

"Cross! Don’t tire yourself out before you’ve even had a chance to start working!"

"Geeze." Her rage had died down, listening to Vein. "What tied your tail into a knot?"

"Look." She pointed toward the ponies occupying the beds. "Those ponies are pretty much depending on you for constant care, and Laceration is for more dire straits, so I am telling you to stop working yourself up, so you’re not too tired to actually do what you’re hired for."

Cross felt a hoof on her shoulder. "I’m sorry, but please stop. I’m worried about the patients, not you in particular."

Vein heard a snort of laughter. "I’m glad you value them over me. Heh. But in all seriousness, okay." They stared at each other for a moment until something interrupted them.

"Hey, it’s three. Cross you’re on the job." Laceration walked in, early, something that had happened fewer times than there were princesses, so never before. He paused, looking at the two nurses, "Did I miss something?"



***



The shady Trough was filled even more quickly than usual. Almost the entirety of Squad N9 had entered the bar around the beginning of their normal work hours. Since most of their friends were unaltered to their sudden leave from work, the group was rather shy without their drinking buddies.

Until Alcohol.


The bar got into the full swing of drunks and contests as the fourth round of beers and ales were passed out. There were fifteen thestrals and ponies cheering on N9’s captain as he was challenging the drunk from West Street to a drinking competition.

It was a fierce battle of wits and will, keeping themselves from vomiting after each had an eleventh mug of beer. Though valiant and brave, the Captain groped around for a bucket which one of his own gave to him. He laughed about it, "Messy used to mean something much worse on the battlefield, haha—" He vomited again.

Outside of the usual antics, an earth pony sat in a shaded corner, staring down a beer and ale. Clearly having too much to drink, she started pushing the two drinks together, whispering, "Kissu, kissu~" She missed her mark, spilling the ale into the beer. "Oops. Mr. Ale, you’re supposed to wait until marriage." Thump, she passed out.



***



"I was wondering, when can we check out of here, Nurse Cross?"

"Technically, you can check out of here whenever." She cleaned the bandages and cast around Evershade’s leg. "However, I invoked the right of Passé, so this whole case with the custody of yon Caedes has to be cleared up first before you leave."

"Oh, okay." Deepsky’s ears drooped.

Evershade finally spoke up, "But.. But.. Alcohol..."

Cross sucked air through her teeth violently. "Look. You can get smashed as hard as you want come a few days from now. Just don’t mention alcohol to me again. Stallions are fools with it." She tightened Evershade’s gauze a little too tight.

Laceration came into the doorway with another pony in a trench coat. "I’m here for the filly. I’ve been assigned to treat her as a threat, temporarily, by orders of the Princess."

Laceration stepped forward. "He’s the real deal. I’ve seen the paperwork."

Author's Note:

Annnnnd, that's happening. I wonder what happened before the Princess went to bed. Can anyone say, "skeletons in their closet"?