• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 831 Views, 33 Comments

Trapped In Canterlot - TartarusFire



A gift is bestowed from birth to a pony. This is his or her True Name. She was given a name that would sunder her life.

  • ...
1
 33
 831

C34 - Good Eats

"So, why the sudden rule breaking, miss workaholic?" Laceration adopted a thin smile, thinking wistfully at all the times Red Cross would bark at him for slacking off, or improper conduct; he was a surgeon, not a role model.

"I don’t know what you’re talking about. This is simply a means to an end for a patient, even if it is unethical." She halted, taking her stance against him.

"A means by which could have been avoided by simply giving some alternate drugs, pills really."

"Foals don’t like to take pills, Laceration. I’d probably have to make her choke them down, as every pony else has."

"They take it with water, so they don’t choke on it. So what’s the big deal, it just takes longer with pills."

Cross was feeling more pressure to justify her response. After he had agreed to the action, it had wholly surprised her to be under the gun. "You know the record, and you helped get her put back together. The list of damage goes from bruises, to cuts, to explosion damage; faster relief is justified... which means she’s waiting even longer by us standing here, arguing."

"I’m not letting you leave quite yet." He grabbed the bag of morphine already in Cross’s aura. "Just another moment and you can leave." She growled in response, not tugging on the medical bag in fear of damaging it. "I’m just a curious. You’ve always been a stickler for protocol, so what the heck?"

"Tch, you’re just like Relic. Fine I admit it: I’m more concerned about Caedes’s wellbeing right now than any regulations and laws. Happy? I said my thing."

He still didn’t let go. "Yes.. But why? You’re not so – clingy usually."

She just blinked at him and decided to stare. She scuffed a hoof. "You know. Because. The thing. Ehh." Cross sighed. "Look. I was raised by very affectionate ponies, my parents. I just seem cold because I don’t like crap getting in the way, and as you know: hugs and love do not fix everything. That’s why we’re here, you know. So I just want her to get better sooner, because I care for my patients, and she’s harder to care for."

"...You’re taking the fast way because you can’t make it better with hugs?"

"Mmmm, yeah. Wait, not exactly, but close enough. Are you trying to stop me? You just agreed differently."

"Nope. I full heartedly agree, malpractice insurance and all that jazz." He raised his hooves in the air, mocking defeat. "Oh I can’t stop you. You’re on an emotional rampage, and have to save the filly because you’re full of estimate." His voice raised above the usual near-silent whisper yelling. "Yeah, something like that if we get asked."

"Jerk. At least you’re lax enough to work around. Now let go, seriously, it’s been long enough." Laceration’s tan aura separated from Cross’s scarlet aura. "Thank you." She pushed the curtains separating the ward back open to their usual eternal vigil of openness.


"Hey, Caedes?" The filly just stared back up, still curled around herself. "I’ve got something for all of your ouchies, but I have to use another needle, m’kay?" Cross’s bag had another IV attached to it as it was on another hook, prepared to be put into the patient.

Caedes shook her head, she didn’t like needles; she decided.

"You won’t even feel it, promise." Caedes didn’t say anything again. "Can I take that as a yes?"

Cross moved forward, daintily grabbing Caedes’s hoof with a tin band of magic. Utilizing the needle on the end of the IV, she hovered it next to the hoof she held. "Ready?" Caedes stared back with fear, a tear forming. "It’ll be over quickly." It was a swift poke, expertly applied near the previous needle. "–Done."

Caedes just stared at it, noting the similarities between the strange cords. A few minutes ticked by and she couldn’t feel her leg, or much of anything actually. It was peculiar, being able to see and feel the movements but be unimpeded by the burning and tearing sensations accompanied by moving.

The guards had been watching the exchange between the two ponies, who would claim there was nothing better to. Perking their ears, Cross began to speak again. "Feeling better?" Caedes nodded. "Well then, how about some food? I’m sure you’re starving."

In truth, Caedes was always a little hungry for some reason, the bowls of mush never did fill her up. Now, with a numbing sensation clouding her mind, she nodded as an empty feeling grew from her midsection. "Well then, I’ve got just the sandwich for you then.." The buildup was in poor taste, as only a rustle occurred prior to the grand reveal of a cheese and lettuce sandwich. "I’ll go fetch some water, you’re sure to be more than thirsty."

More glorious to her than the onlookers, sandwiches were a small wonder to Caedes. Nice and crunchy and dry bread with some nice cold, slabs of things in between such a nice crunch was a thing not to be taken for granted.

It was a sandwich.

Getting situated was a bit of a struggle, trying not to move anything besides herself, but she struggled upright against the pillow and pulled the plastic wrapper closer to herself. Cross came back at the opportune time, seeing how the filly was struggling to eat. Placing the class of water down on the nightstand, she unwapped the sandwich and pulled hunk of it off, giving them to Caedes.

Of course Caedes wolfed down what was given to her. She had been eating nutritious mud practically for as long as she could remember with few reprises. ...That is until a piece of sandwich had gotten stuck in her dry throat. "Kch, pkt! Wa’r!"

The glass was almost instantly raised to Caedes’s muzzle, "Here, drink."


It had been a bit of a struggle to drink down the blockage, and after two more glasses, the sandwich had been eaten. Backing off, Cross had been unexpectedly huggled around her hoof and thanked with more than a few tears.

Author's Note:

That typo turned into something else. Pfff, huggled.