• Published 29th Nov 2011
  • 5,546 Views, 155 Comments

Behind the Veil - FeralFox



An average man cought up in a series of extraordinary events.

  • ...
17
 155
 5,546

Chapter 3

“Behind the Veil”
Chapter 3
FeralFox

As Marckus finished the question he purveyed the faces of the creatures before him as they were all silent for one reason or another and he was curious to find out what exactly those reasons are. Laying down on his jury-rigged, extra-long hospital bed, his head elevated on several pillows, he could only see their faces. On the left was the canary creature, still holding firm to a look of timidness, or shyness. Beside her was the hat-clad orange creature, face a mix of disbelief and awe. Continuing to the right, there was the lavender, horned creature, whom he believed to possess some special power, as the strange aura that encompassed the floating glass seemed to be generated from said horn. On her face was an expression of befuddlement, or of one who cannot find the right words to begin speaking. This was strange to him as previously, this creature seemed to know what to do, even in the strange circumstances given in the short time he had been here. Wherever “here” was. On her right was the sky-blue creature, gaze still affixed at his newly unbent arm. On the far right was the comically pink creature, mane resembling cotton candy. This creature's eyes were wide, but not as wide as the grin was becoming on it's face. It seemed to ready to burst of energy, because it started bouncing slightly, which turned into small hopping, which in turn evolved into full-on jumping. To his dismay, he was suddenly bombarded with words spoken so quickly his mind could barely translate what his ears perceived in time to realize what exactly it was saying.

“OhMyGosh, YouCanTalk! Hi, I'mPin--” This statement, was cut short by the cyan one quickly breaking trance and tackling her to the ground and forcing her forelimb into the pink one's mouth.

“Twilight told you to be quiet!” She said in a contained shout, but getting the point across nonetheless, as the pink one stopped fidgeting and remained quiet, although he could still feel the energy seeming to radiate from her. They both rose to meet his own shocked expression. He was quite taken aback from this sudden outburst of violence, but distinguished any negative thoughts as this was clearly an attempt to help things remain quiet. Feeling uncomfortable at having to peer over his beard to see his company, he reached his hand behind his head and pushed the pillows towards the headboard and angled them to cover more vertically. The creatures stared intently, but cautiously at his every move. He leaned forward and pushed off of the bed with his right arm, being the unbroken one, and lifted himself up and back into a sitting position. The sudden movement sent a flare of pain from his fractured leg and he clenched his teeth and groaned. Once comfortable, or as close as he was going to get, he attempted to gather information on the situation.

“Please, can someone, anyone, tell me what is going on? Have I gone insane, or do my eyes tell the truth?” He spoke in a soft, but worried tone, concerned for his own mental well-being as well as his physical. Once more, the purple creature was the one to speak up. The pink one stayed hushed for obvious reasons.

“W-well, what do you want to know first?” Obviously just as lost as he was.

“Okay, number one: What are you? Number two: Where am I? And number three: What are your names, if you hold such titles?” He said, cutting straight to the chase.

“We are ponies, I more specifically, am a unicorn. You are in Ponyville, a city in the land of Equestria. And My name is Twilight Sparkle.” She said, pleased to have made some ground. “Now I'd like to ask some questions of you: who and what are you, and where did you come from?” She said, with more confidence in her voice, but still laced with fear. He could not blame her, or the rest of them for that matter, as he was foreign, and much larger than they.

“Fair enough. My name is Marckus DeLibra. I am a human, and I was in my apartment, in New York. A state within the sovereign nation of the United States of America, a country on the planet Earth.” He said, still keeping a calm, low voice to prevent the further spread of fear to these “ponies”. “Alright, you say that you are 'ponies'. That much I might be able to believe, given your resemblance to an equine creature, quadrupedal, hoofed legs, and a mane and tail, but it stops there.” As he finished this statement Twilight seemed to be taken aback by his description. Not so much insulted as intrigued at his knowledge and vocabulary. “Your heads are...not proportionate to the rest of your bodies, and I have never seen a horse of any kind with coats and manes of such an exaggerated color palate.” He said, beginning to think out loud as if to explain it to himself as well as to the creature claiming to be one of mythology. “Then again, this is apparently a completely different world where mythological creatures such as unicorns and pegasi are a reality.” As he finished his thought, he began to calm down. Rationalizing everything he couldn't have explained to himself previously by simply putting it under the Because I'm in a different world file in his head. One he did not believe he ever would have needed. Twilight looked at him with her head cocked slightly

“How did you know about pegasus ponies?” She said, suddenly confused at his level of knowledge. Then it dawned on her. “We're part of your world's mythology?!” She inquired with haste at his previous comment.

“W-well, not you specifically, but yes, unicorns and pegasi are part of one of my planet's many cultures' mythology. But I can tell you more about that another time.” He said as he rubbed the temple of his bandaged head, not wishing to delve deeper into his memories to retrieve any more information. He had a searing migraine from the concussion and was beginning to appreciate the quiet. He did not say this, because he did not want to offend her in her quest for knowledge of her species from another world. “As for now, how about some introductions? I have told you my name, and you are...?” He said politely and softly, gesturing to the yellow pegasus who was quivering slightly at the sudden attention.

“O-oh...m-my name...is....um...Fluttershy.” She said before turning her gaze to the ground and rubbing circles into the floor with her hoof.

“Pleased to meet you, but there's no need to be afraid. I mean you no harm.” He said with a comforting warm tone, and a smile to match.

“I wouldn't bother,” began the orange mare with the Stenson, “I've know her fer quite sum time, 'n she acts like that, even when it's just us.” He adjusted his gaze to meet her emerald green eyes. “Name's Applejack, it's a pleasure, 'specially knowin' ya ain't 'ere fer trouble.” She said with a nervous smile and a half-hearted chuckle, hoping not to offend him.

“Likewise.” He said with a smile before tipping an imaginary hat towards her. She eased at the gesture and held a genuine smile. He turned to Twilight and gave a quick nod “I believe we have already been acquainted.” The same soft smile still pulling at his cheeks. She gave a smile and a nod in return. He shifted his attention to the two still on the floor. “And what, may I ask, is your name?” The Rainbow-maned pegasus turned her attention from her task of silencing the pink pony and responded with a flick of her neck, bringing her mane about her face in a sweeping motion and holding a pose of pride and valor and exclaimed:

“I am the great Rainbow Dash! Fastest Flier in all of Equestria!” Having no hesitation in boasting. This was received with a collective of glares. She shrunk from her pose and looked away, embarrassed. “Heh...heh...nice to meet you.”

“It is truely an honor.” He said with a grin before giving a graceful, mock-bow at the outburst. Finally he looked over at the pink pony, exuberant when she realized it was her turn. She stood up on her rear legs and began an exaggerated inhalation only to look upon Twilight, who merely stared at the energetic mare, plain-faced with one eyebrow raised. She went back onto all-fours.

“Hi, my name's Pinkie Pie! I'm so happy to meet you!” She said with barely contained excitement. Her grin from ear to ear, blue eyes right with joy.

“I can see that!” He said with a wide smile himself, her energy almost contagious. “I'm glad to meet you too.” He directed them as a group now. “Well, now that introductions are out of the way,” He said as he reached to his right to grab a large branch with a “v” at one end and positioned it under his arm as a make-shift crutch. “ I really must get going. If I am to leave this place, which I hope is sometime soon, no offense, than I must find a place to reside. Do any of you know where one could earn a wage of some sort?” As he said this he swung his legs off the side of the cot and put pressure on his right leg and the crutch and lifted himself to his feet. The ponies stared up in awe, as he had never stood at full height in their presence. Sitting on the low bed he loomed over them somewhat, but standing tall, he towered over them. Twilight glanced at his left side, his arm in a cast and leg in a brace, both of which were fitted with his help.

“You can't go anywhere! You need to stay here and rest!” She protested. Her voice taking an authoritative tone now. “How can you expect to work in your current condition?!”

“If I can still breath, than I can still work.” His voice losing its softness for a more stoic tone. “I can still get around on my own, so that means that I shouldn't stay here and take up anymore valuable space needed by folks who've got it worse than me.” He began to make his way towards the door of his room. They looked on as he took long strides with his good leg and crutch, easily clearing the distance in a few steps. He was soon cut off by Twilight and Applejack who stood fast at the doorway, cutting preventing his exit.

“Now I'm all fer a hard worker 'n all, but you ain't gonna find any job in a cast 'n crutch. That is, if'n they can get past the fact that yur not from this world!” Said the Stenson-clad mere. He knew she had a point.

“That may be true, but I still won't stay here any longer.” His expression stone, unmoving. “I'll merely take refuge in that nearby forest.” He recalled seeing a forest in the near distance as he fell into this new world. He cringed in his mind at the memory.

“The EverFree Forest?! Oh no, you mustn’t!” Fluttershy said, her voice still low but now one of demand. A surprising act of boldness from the canary mare. “It's far too dark and scary in there. And there are so many dangerous creatures that live there, and you're in no shape to protect yourself!” She began walking towards the towering man. “Please, you just can't go in there.” Her normally averted gaze locked with his own, still unchanged.

“So be it, but I refuse to take up anymore of this place's resources. If I have to sleep on or under a bench, then let it be so.” His tone still stoic, but lined ever so slightly with anger at this unimpeded denial of his release. He could have easily pushed passed them, or maybe even intimidated his way out, but he was a man of peace, not anger. He would negotiate his way out before he would succumb to violence, especially against these small, innocent looking ponies.

“W-well...I suppose...if you don't have anywhere else to go.....” Twilight began, clearly nervous at the question she was about to pose. The other ponies exchanged glances, all knowing where this was going, and not liking it one bit.

To be continued...