• Published 9th Jun 2012
  • 1,102 Views, 16 Comments

A tale of two changelings - greendragon642



A changing crashes into the Everfree Forest after the failed attack on Canterlot.

  • ...
3
 16
 1,102

Chapter 5

Tattered Wing, now with her new form, was walking towards a not-so-far-off-town in the distance. As she approached the town, she saw a large sign on the side of the road. The sign read: "Welcome to Ponyville!" Inside the town, she walked up to a pink mare and started to say, "Excuse me, do you know-" She was cut off as the pink mare gave a loud gasp before chattering away at high speed. (It's best to read this next part as fast as you can.)

"Hi, I'm Pinkie Pie! You must be new here! I know that because I've never seen you before and I know everypony here! So if I haven't seen you before that means you must be new here, and if you're new here then you must not know anypony. If you don't know anypony here then you must not know where anything is, and if you don't know where anything is then you need a tour of the town. And I know just the pony to give you one!"

"Umm... Great, who?"

"Me!" Pinkie Pie said grabbing Tattered Wing by the tail and proceeding to drag her around the town, stopping only to tell her about an important landmark. After about an hour of this, Pinkie Pie finally stopped at their final destination, a giant tree. "And this is the Ponyville library! Twilight Sparkle lives here as well if you ever feel like meeting her!"

"Wait, do you mean like The Element of Harmony Twilight Sparkle?"

"Yes! And later you can meet her and all of my other friends at a PARTY!"

"A party?!? Umm... I don't think I can make it..."

"Aww, why not? Oh, silly me, I never got your name!"

"It's, uh, Tattered wing, and I was going to need to leave town later. I only came for a few things."

"Oh, okay! We can just have the party tomorrow!"

"Umm, well, I..."

"Come on, pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease pleeease?" Pinkie said, causing her eyes to grow to an outrageously large size.

"Err... Ugh, fine."

"Great! But you're going to need to pinkie promise!"

"A pinkie what?"

"A pinkie promise! Just do what I do!" She explained a series of moves accompanied with a strange chant.

"Umm... Okay then... Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my- Horse feathers!" Tattered wing said, holding a hoof to her that she just poked.

"Tee hee! Don't worry, everypony does that at some point. See you at the party tomorrow!" Pinkie said, bouncing away.

"Yeah, like that's going to happen,crazy filly..." Tattered wing said under her breath, as she turned toward the library.

As Tattered wing walked into the library she was instantly greeted by shelves and shelves of books as high as the ceiling.

"Hello, come on in," said a voice coming from up a flight of stairs. Tattered wing looked around and saw a purple unicorn descending the stairs toward her, "My name is Twilight Sparkle, and you are?"

"Tattered Wing."

"I haven't seen you around recently. Are you new to Ponyville?"

"Yes, I just got here this morning and thought I'd stop by here."

"Good, I'm glad there's another pony here that enjoys reading! Feel free to read any of the books here."

"Thank you. I'm sure to, err, enjoy them." Tattered Wing feigned interest in the bookshelves until Twilight left the library. Good, now I can find- Oh? What's this? She paused at a book labeled: A Beginner's Guide To Magic I guess that could be worth a read, but I need to find Broken Horn's horn. She glanced around the room before noticing a pointy object on the table behind her. That must be his horn. She thought as she picked up the object and placed it deep in her mane. She turned back to the bookshelves and took out A Beginner's Guide To Magic, turning to the first page. Surely Broken Horn won't mind if I linger here for just a while, will he?
Everfree Forest, nightfall

Broken horn paced back and forth inside his cave, glancing back at the entrance with every pass. "Ugh, where is she?" he muttered to himself, "Tattered Wing should have been back hours ago!" A small popping sound and a flash of light interrupted his thoughts as Tattered Wing seemed to appear out of thin air in front of him. "Where the hay were you?!?" he yelled at Tattered Wing as she appeared.

"Sorry, I got caught up at the library," she responded.

"Seriously?!? You keep me waiting for hours on end for some BOOKS!?!"

"Well, sorry! I didn't expect you to get this frantic over a quick stop at a library..."

"A quick stop?!? Ugh, never mind. Did you at least get my horn?"

"Yes, I have it right here," Tatter said, levitating the horn fragment over to Broken Horn.

"Thanks, now I can- Wait, since when could you use magic?"

"When I was in the library I found multiple books on magic. Then I ended up reading almost all of them..."

"... Okay then... Well, with my horn back, I should be able to change my appearance." He grabbed the horn fragment out of the air, but as soon as he made contact with it, the fragment melted into his exoskeleton. "Wha- Well, great. Now what am I supposed to do?"

"Why don't you try anyways? It might work now that you, umm, well I think you have the fragment back now..."

"Fine. Probably won't work though..." Broken Horn concentrated on using his horn, causing it to shoot out tons of sparks. After a few moments, a ring of green flames erupted around him, slowly enveloping him. Once the flames subsided, standing in his place was a light gray pegasus pony, with a red spiked mane, and a gout of green flames broken in half as his cutie mark. "Wow. I didn't expect that."

"I have other good news," Tatter said, "in the near-by town, Ponyville, there's a pony who lives there that just radiates love and happiness constantly. We could use her for fuel and she would never feel a thing!"

"Really? Great! Who is this pony?"

"She's a pink mare, but she's also a Element of Harmony. She's a weird one though. As soon as she saw me, she invited me to a party."

"That is sort of strange. Are you going?"

"Psh, no. Iv'e had enough of that crazy mare for now."

"Hi Tatter!" said a high pitched voice behind the two changelings, "Is that your friend?" The changelings whirled around to find a Pinkie Pie bouncing towards them. "I hope you're still planning on going to my party, because nopony breaks a pinkie promise," then her voice suddenly dropped into demonic tones, "EVER."

"Yes, we'll be there!" Broken Horn said, a hint of panic in his voice, "About what time do you want us over?"

"Oh, any time will be fine,the party's going to be going on all day so it doesn't really matter. I'll be waiting!" Pinkie said, bouncing away. As soon as she disappeared from the changeling's view, Tattered wing rounded on Broken Horn, dropping her disguise.

"Why did you do that?" she asked, peeved, "I told you that I've had enough of that mare!"

"Tatter, did you hear her voice right then?" Broken horn responded, dropping his disguise as well, "It was completely demonic! Not only is she an Element of Harmony (however unlikely that is), but she's completely insane! If we cross her, something terrible is bound to happen!"

"Ugh, fine, but you owe me for this."

"Owe you? I saved your hide from those ponies. Besides, it's a party, how bad can it be?"

"Pretty bad if the pink one is there."

"Come on, it's not going to be that bad. There will be other ponies there to use as excuses for avoiding Pinkie."

"There better be. Well, we better get to sleep if we're going to survive another encounter with her."

"Heh, I'm with you there. 'Night."