• Published 7th Jun 2012
  • 1,508 Views, 93 Comments

A Place Called Home - FoxUnderFire



After almost 500 years of bad memories Jack Trades finally finds a place where he can call home.

  • ...
4
 93
 1,508

Act 1-3

I sat there until sundown.

Trying not to think.

Trying not to remember.

Trying to forget when I no longer cared about killing.

When I no longer cared about dying.

And when He crept into my mind.

What you don't enjoy my company?

No.

Ha! How can you not after all deep down I am just you?

No.

Is that all you want to say to me?

Yes.

Funny man are you? Well maybe if we go back to when I first came to you.

Don't.

Ha! What are you afraid of yourself! No! Your'e afraid of what I might make you do! Aren't you?

I hate to say it but I'm glad Applejack came in at that moment with an apple pie.

Distracted me from Him.

From myself.

She carried the pie over to me and laid it in front of me.

"I thought I didn't deserve anything?" I said with a smile.

"Who told you that?" I had a feeling she didn't like me all to much. Nah, I'm probably just imagining it.

"Well seeing as I didn't get a visit this mornin'." Threw this up with my best southern accent which sounded pretty good.

"Yeah well I guess I was still a lil' upset" Did I just see a faint smile?

"Guess you had yer self a good reason. I wasn't exactly the most welcoming person around."

"Why'd you do it?" Any trace of a smile left my face.

"In my life, if I ever fall unconscious it means pain and real bad luck. I would like to keep all of that away from my life."

"I'm real sorry."

"Nah, Ain't yer fault it's just Russian roulette and I filled the revolver full of bullets." I chuckled at my joke though she didn't. Either she does't know what Russian roulette is or doesn't think it's funny. Probably both.

One awkward silence later...

"How well do you know this Alex guy?" The question seemed to through her off.

She thought about what I said for a while before replying, "He's like family to me."

"Uncle? Father? Brother?" I said throwing up my best poker face.

"Like a brother."

"You got any other siblings?"

"Yeah, a big brother and a lil' sister."

"Parent's?" I could see the pain in her eyes after I said it.

...

...

...

"No." Blunt, simple, easy to read.

"Sorry."

"Nah, Ain't yer fault it's just Russian roulette and I filled the revolver full of bullets." That earned a grin from both of us.

"I gotta go, I rise and sleep with the sun." I nodded my head, I understood.

"I'll bring yer breakfast tomorrow mornin'."

"Hey Applejack!"

"Ya?"

"G'night!"

"G'night, Jack Trades."

She slipped out and the pleasant conversation left an imprint of a grin on my face.

In the last day I got knocked out and tied up after being placed in a strange world, and I felt happier than I had in years.

And just to lift my spirits higher I had a delicious pie to eat.

Now just have to pick it up...

Damn.

This is going to get messy.


The next two days went by without fault. Of course I wondered why they still had me tied up. But I didn't care those two days were still nice, the peace and quiet was bliss.

But on the morning of my fourth day Applejack told me why I was still there...

Alex, the only other human, was coming back from a business trip this afternoon...

And they wanted him here before they do anything to me.

...

Well this is going to be interesting...