• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 2,747 Views, 94 Comments

The World Beyond Her Dreams - Foals Errand



In a hospital lies a girl. For five years, she has slept, as her nurse recorded her dreams. In these dreams, she is happy, and safe. This girl's name, is Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
10
 94
 2,747

Applejack

Celestia took a sip of her coffee as she waited by the reception desk. Unlike the others, she expected this one to be simple and painless, just like the visitor themselves. For her to complicate things would end up being rather surprising, all things considered. Even if she was the least likely to show.

She pursed her lips as she looked down at her cup. Celestia had hesitated to send the letter, having even considered going to see the woman herself and inviting her. It would have made things uncomfortable though, and Applejack would have said yes out of politeness, not because she wanted to come. So, she had sent a letter, just like for the rest.

And now, the one with the shortest trip had taken the second longest to show.

Celestia took another sip as she glanced at her paperwork again. She had hoped for other results, or better news to tell Applejack at this point. By now, Twilight had recovered to being completely stable once more, as she was before Cadance’s disruption. Her fingers coiled almost instinctively into a fist, before she dismissed the anger. The younger nurse had screwed things up, yes, but her heart had been in the right place, even if it hurt.

That seemed to be how this all had started to feel like at this point. From Luna’s optimism, to Cadance’s mess-up, to Twilight’s friends coming… They all meant well, but none had actually been able to seem to help.

A soft ding turned her attention away from her thoughts, and to the new figure who was walking in. She smiled softly to the farm girl as she made her way to the reception desk, a pie in between her hands. Applejack didn’t share her smile, instead turning away. At least, Celestia thought, she had still gotten dressed for this, wearing slacks and a button up t-shirt. Her normal, classier outfit.

Celestia took the warm pie from Applejack so the other woman could get started on signing in. “I honestly was surprised that you decided to take the time out of your day to come say hi to her. After last ti-”

“I’m not here to say hi to her.” Applejack looked up, meeting Celestia’s eyes for a moment in a hard stare. There was no joviality in them, just anger, and, beneath that, pain. “I’m here because you deserve a break, and I want to help you get that.”

Celestia hung her head for a moment before sighing. She should have seen such a reaction coming, even if she doubted the other woman’s sincerity. Applejack cared too much for that. “Thank you for the pie. I know it will be enjoyed.”

Applejack nodded as she stood up from the sign in sheet, capping the pen, and turning away from it. “I hope you like it. Now, is she still in the same room?”

Celestia nodded, and turned with Applejack to go to it. Both had travelled the path countless times, their shoes softly clicking against the tiles. It was a familiar enough rhythm to get others attentions, but also missing for a long enough time to have made it eerily familiar. Once they saw the farm girl though, it clicked in their minds, and they turned away, not wanting to look at her for too long.

Applejack wasn’t the only one with bad memories of Twilight and her.

Celestia glanced to her companion as they came closer, a pang of guilt in her own chest. While not entirely her fault, Applejack’s hatred for this place was not entirely the younger woman’s fault, either. Not when Celestia, in her haste to get things fixed, had… “I’m sorry.”

Applejack stumbled a little bit at the sudden words, and the confusion they brought with them, at least, to her. “You don’t have anything to apologize for. It’s not because of you that Twilight isn’t willing to wake up.”

And that was the issue, summed up in one line. This woman, this dear friend, had given up, especially after Celestia and her had figured out that trying to force Twilight out of her dreams only made the coma worse. After seeing that, she’d given up and washed her hands of Twilight, believing the poor girl didn’t want to wake up.

All because Celestia had believed they could fix her in the first year of her treatment.

Celestia placed a hand on Applejack’s shoulder and took in a deep breath. She discarded the arguments she had made before. Things like ‘it’s not her choice,’ no longer worked for the sceptic. So, instead she tried another route. “Just remember that this will help remind her what she has here, rather than perhaps thinking that there is nothing waiting for her here.”

Applejack opened her mouth while taking in a sharp breath, ready to retort, before she saw the pain and desperation in Celestia’s eyes. Just because she had given up didn’t mean the nurse had, and she was still clinging to anything she could cling to. She wouldn’t rob her of that. “Yeah, I suppose you’re right.”

The words were false, and both women knew it, causing them to look away from each other. Neither was willing to speak at this point, and the uncomfortableness both had expected to happen came over them. It couldn’t even leave long enough for Celestia to say anything to Applejack as she stepped into Twilight’s room.

And she found herself speechless. Twilight looked as serene as she always had before. So content so peaceful, so… happy. It hurt, especially since Applejack knew she couldn’t do anything about it.

So, she did the one thing she thought she could, and put a hand onto her shoulder. With a squeeze, she then whispered, “I’m still waiting for you, okay sugarcube? W-we’re all still waiting for you.”

And for just a moment Applejack thought she saw Twilight’s smile widen, and hoped, prayed, that it was for her, rather than whatever illusion of her was in the dream.

Author's Note:

The remaining chaps have been written by Jumbled, he got on a roll and I couldn't stop him.