• Published 7th Dec 2015
  • 3,564 Views, 205 Comments

Broken Symmetry - Trick Question



Somepony is sabotaging Moondancer's research. When Twilight offers to help, the two friends discover a dangerous secret.

  • ...
11
 205
 3,564

The Six Minute Plan

Once I was up and mobile, we headed back to the lab.

Right out the hospital door, I picked up the pace to a gentle trot. It didn't hurt my leg much, but a moment later I felt a hoof pulling back on my chest. Twilight was holding me back. I turned to look at her, and she had a concerned look on her face.

"Why don't we walk?" she asked, faking a smile (badly). "It's such a nice day."

I sighed dramatically. "Fine," I said. "Your motives are transparent, Twi. It really doesn't hurt that much when I trot."

She smiled and reached an arm around my withers for a side-hug. "I just want you to relax a little, Moonie," she said gently. "We both want you out of that cast as soon as possible, so let's take it easy, okay?"

I furrowed my brow in response to the word "Moonie". This was the second time she'd said that, and I was certain I hadn't given her permission for a nickname. I wasn't her pet, for crying out loud. But then I realized I'd called her "Twi", so maybe that made my name fair game for continued pettification. It was irritating, but I deigned to shrug it off. I could tell I was bothered by it more than I should be, and I knew she meant well.

So I sighed again (less dramatically this time) and nodded. "Fair enough. I guess a little caution won't kill me," I joked, and then returned to a walk.

Twilight kept one hoof around me for the first few steps as we walked, which was awkward because she had to skip on the fourth beat. It felt nice, though. I was a little embarrassed to be seen like this, and I didn't quite know why. I realized I had a lot of anger inside me I still needed to work out—not at Twilight, ironically enough, but at everypony. I was kind of bitter about growing up without friends. Looking back, I could see that ponies tried to be nice to me over and over, but I just shut them all out. I decided that improving who I was as a pony would require a modicum of embarrassment and tolerance, and I'd just have to bite the bit and do it.

Twilight deserved that much from me, I figured, and it was a good thing I had someone like her to keep my eagerness in check. Oddly enough, I seemed to serve the same role for her. I thought it was weird how we could compliment each other's weaknesses, even when those weaknesses were exactly the same. Maybe, I thought, it was simply because we cared more about each other than about ourselves.

This last realization made me feel uncomfortable. I was certain I was beginning to read too much into Twilight's actions. She was being such a good friend, but I figured she probably just felt obligated to be nice to me. It didn't really matter, though. Her help meant the world to me, and I was very lucky to have it.

Twilight could tell I was lost in thought, so we walked in silence all the way to the lab. Once we arrived, she spoke with one of the two guards.

"Guardstallion, we need your assistance," said Twilight. "We need to do a thorough search of the interior of Moondancer's laboratory to make sure that somepony hasn't been hiding inside there the entire time. The pony in question may be a very skilled mage, so this might be somewhat dangerous."

"Of course, Princess. Should I go for more guards?" asked the stallion.

Twilight shook her head. "Between the three of us, we shouldn't have any difficulty handling her. I just want you to be prepared for a confrontation."

"Always, your Highness."

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Please, just call me Twilight," she insisted.

Twilight opened the door and the three of us entered the lab. The guard shut the door behind us. I walked to the entrance to the test chamber anteroom and motioned to the guard.

"I need you to stand here, and keep your eyes both on the test chamber anteroom and this entrance area. Twilight and I will go to the basement, then one of us will come up and walk through the bathroom," I explained. "That should cover the entire lab, and we'll be casting spells to sweep the area and guarantee there's nopony else in here with us."

The guard nodded and stepped into place. I opened the door to the stairwell, and Twilight and I headed into the basement.

"This is neat! I really should have come down here sooner," said Twilight. I supposed it was kind of neat down here. The ceiling was glowing, though not as brightly, which provided a spooky sort of mood-lighting. Four sections above were dark, and it was clear from the layout that those were the experiment rooms. Each of the four sections had a small box attached in its center.

"Not that it needs mention, but this," I said, pointing to the large box in the middle of the floor, "is the magilectric transducer. Those boxes above are the field generators, and obviously the cables between the transducer and the generators supply the power directly."

"Wow. I've never seen mana transduction cables this thick before!" said Twilight, touching one with a hoof. "This research involves a lot of firsts, Moondancer. It's really incredible what you've done here."

I nodded. "Once I ponied up the dough and explained the generalities of my research, Princess Celestia gave me full permission to begin construction. I have to admit, I was surprised it was so easy to win her over. I guess my track record as a student was sufficient for Celestia to place her faith in me."

Twilight opened her mouth as though to say something, then shut it a few seconds later. "Let's get the scanning underway," she finally said. "How should we proceed?"

"Hmm. Why don't you scan the basement from end to end, then I'll clear the stairwell and move to the top floor?" I asked. "It shouldn't take more than a minute. I'd prefer if you stayed down here until the scan completes, just to make sure nothing screwy happens where the power feeds in."

Twilight nodded, and began a scanning spell. Beams of magenta light cut across the basement in a sweeping motion. There was some shimmering and sparking when it swept across the transducer, naturally. Once her scan touched the stairwell door, I stepped into the stairwell and met her beam with mine.

Then, something marvelous happened. It only lasted for a second, but I'd never felt anything like it before. As her magic touched mine—her magenta scan brushing and merging with my soft pink—I felt a strange serenity filling my entire body. I knew that Twilight felt it too, because I saw her eyes widen for just a second. In that tiniest moment, I felt what she felt, and she felt what I felt, and it was like sharing the warmest, most personal hug one could imagine. She turned off her magic right after we both felt it, probably as an automatic reaction from surprise. I doubt it was because she didn't enjoy it; I'd have done the same in her position.

I opted to say nothing, and backed up the stairwell as I scanned. I wasn't certain what had just happened, but my heart was calm. Today I had already discovered that oxycodone was something like a warm, comforting hug that wouldn't let go (no wonder ponies get addicted to it, I thought). But it couldn't hold a candle to this feeling coursing through me. Even after the contact broke, I could still feel it inside, like a piece of Twilight had come along with me for the ride up the stairs. I hadn't read anything in the literature about merging two scans. Were we the first to discover this? I had to put it out of mind so I could focus on the task at hoof.

As I walked up top, I continued the scan. "Don't worry, this won't hurt," I said to the guard, and I ran the scan through the room until it covered the guard and entered the other room somewhat. Then I opened the bathroom door and started walking through it, pulling the scan area through it while maintaining the boundary where the guard stood. This was very tricky, since I could no longer see the boundary I was maintaining. For a moment I postulated that maybe I should have had Twilight do this part. But I liked a challenge, and I wanted to be competitive with her. Competitive with a princess? My ego could handle that.

Once I'd exited out the other side of the bathroom, I was easily able to pull the scan area together and sweep the scan across the anteroom. It flickered on the outside of the test area doors where magic was being negated. I dropped the scan and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Excellent, we're safe. Do you mind?" I asked the guard, who stepped out of the way so I could pass through. I shouted down the stairwell: "All clear!"

Twilight quickly came up the stairs. "Great! Thanks very much for your help, Sir," she said to the guard.

"Of course, Pr—I mean, um, Twilight. Is there anything else?" he asked us both.

"Yes. Don't tell anypony about what we did here or what you saw," I ordered. "Our research is secret, and keeping it private will help to ensure our safety."

"Yes, Miss Moondancer," he said, with a very serious face. It was all I could do to keep from laughing, it was so cute. The guard headed out of the building and closed the door.

Twilight and I stared at each other for a minute. Each of us was probably thinking about that magical mixing caused by the scanning spell, but neither of us wanted to say anything.

"Oh, let's um, look at the experiment rooms," she finally said, blushing fiercely. I realized then that I was blushing too. I followed her silently into the anteroom.

"I scanned as close as I could get to the doors," I said. "So if Starlight Glimmer is hiding here, she'd have to be about a millimeter large and smashed up against the metal."

"Wait! What about the experiment rooms themselves?" said Twilight.

I thought for a moment. "If your theory about time travel is at least partially correct, that would be impossible."

"Oh, that's right," said Twilight, planting a hoof against the base of her horn. "If she were in the experiment rooms going backwards through time, she'd have to be out here afterwards, and now that the place is locked down, that can't possibly happen," said Twilight. Then she frowned. "But my theory is false, so that's no real comfort."

I looked at the floor and saw a few dots of dried blood. The pinata stick was also here, with slight dents on either side of the fat end. I teleported in a rag from inside my desk and conjured some water, then proceeded to wipe off the blood.

"All theories are false," I pointed out while scrubbing the tiny drops of my blood off of the glowing metal floor. "Your theory on time loops explains some things, but can't explain others. We need to figure out exactly what these rooms can do," I said. "Installing some automatic stoppers would be a good first step, but as soon as we do, we'll need to run more experiments."

"Maybe we should keep guards inside this room, in case Starlight is in one of the experiment rooms?" suggested Twilight.

I paused in thought. "No. That's a bad idea. If any details of these experiments leak, we could end up attracting even more trouble," I said. "Whatever we have here could be dangerous in the wrong hooves, don't you think?"

Twilight nodded. "And it's not safe for us to watch in shifts, because Starlight Glimmer would have a reasonable chance to overpower either of us one-on-one. Our only hope is to figure this out quickly enough."

"The evidence just doesn't make any sense," I complained. "Our first experiment produced something out of thin air, which is strictly nondeterministic: it was an event that could not have been predicted by any means. Not only does that violate conservation of energy, it violates CPT symmetry and even the most basic tenets of determinism."

Twilight shook her head. "Everything must be predictable, even if it might not be predictable for us. There must be a probability distribution that defined the state of the room prior to the first run," she said. "Cause and effect are still things that happen."

"But even if the experiment looked like a perfect closed timelike curve, we'd still have an ontological paradox. Who decided to use the dress?" I said. "The dress basically decided it would be used, before it was used. The causal predecessor is its own downstream effect."

"Ontological paradoxes aren't a problem. I've been part of one," said Twilight. "The book even mentioned them, remember?"

"It's still weird," I grumbled. "Anyway, the timelike curve theory would be viable if the antimatter version of the dress were present during the tests, but it wasn't," I said. "In retrospect, I think that's the bigger problem of the two. The fact that the two dresses weren't identical is mind-boggling, but the changes to the dress are more of an unexplained mystery than an outright impossibility."

"I can't explain the changes to the dress," said Twilight. "But the absence of the antimatter path... it's a form of symmetry-breaking, Moondancer. Maybe we should look at it as an example of time travel of the first form where something goes wrong?"

"Let's pretend for a moment you're right. How in Tartarus do we devise an experiment to test it?" I said. "We just open a door at random and hope for the best?"

Twilight looked a little hurt. "W-well, I..."

I winced. "Ugh. I'm sorry, Twilight," I said, and walked over to hug her. "I'm just frustrated, and I'm not as practiced at holding my temper as you are. I'll try to calm down."

"It's fine," said Twilight, with a wry smile. "And actually, I think I may have an idea. But we need to put metal stoppers in front of the experiment rooms first."

Twilight stayed in the anteroom while I left to rent some welding equipment and purchase metal contraptions. I didn't like leaving her there alone, since for all we knew, Starlight Glimmer could pop out of one of the rooms at any moment. But she was more capable than I would have been. We would have sent a guard to do our shopping instead, but describing what we needed would have been too difficult.

Both Twilight and I were relatively certain the remaining rooms were devoid of unicorns, but I made haste just to be safe. I remembered after cantering off that I was supposed to keep to a trot, and the pain made me slow my pacing. Fortunately I'd brought pain medication with me in my saddlebags. I made it back in a jiff, and only slowed to a walk after I entered the lab.

"Moonie?" said Twilight. "You're back already?" She wandered into the main area with a look of concern on her face. "I can't believe I forgot about your hoof! Tell me you didn't run..."

"I kept it to a brisk trot," I said. "We both know your safety is more important than a stupid unicorn hoof." I levitated a bunch of equipment and slowly walked into the anteroom. I tried to hide it, but Twilight noticed my limp.

"Don't do this again," she ordered me, with a stern frown.

"You're a princess, Princess," I said, my voice tinged with bitterness, even though I wasn't certain what had gotten into me. "You're more important."

Twilight looked uncomfortable. "I... Well, yes, you're right," she said meekly. "But I don't want you hurt if it isn't necessary."

I didn't expect that. I didn't really know how to feel. But it was true, wasn't it? Twilight wasn't just important because she had wings and a horn, I realized. She was important because the fate of Equestria frequently rested upon her saddle.

"Let's just get to work," I said, trying unsuccessfully to put the thought to the back of my brain.

I illustrated how I thought the stoppers should work. Essentially, we were placing a circular row of metal spring-up teeth into a slider, then welding the slider in place in front of a door. I brought three, one for each of the remaining doors. The teeth would normally be in front of the door, so pulling the door open would ratchet it past the teeth and lock it into place. To shut the door, the slider would be unlocked, and then the teeth could be slid out of the way of the door. Simple and elegant.

Twilight and I both donned welding masks and got to work. We couldn't hear well over the din of welding through the muffled masks, so the next fifteen minutes left each of us alone in our thoughts. That was not a place I wanted to be. I kept thinking about how important Twilight was, and how unimportant I was, and how this would never be a healthy friendship for us.

At some point, Twilight had used magic to air-quench the welds. I hadn't noticed. I was deep in a bad place.

We took off our masks. I wiped my brow. We were both pretty sweaty. I could feel the sweat trickling down my cheeks, even. Then I noticed Twilight was staring at me oddly.

"What?" I said, very softly.

Twilight gingerly reached over and wiped at my cheeks. Her eyes were tearing up a bit. It was then I realized that I had been crying. I'm not sure when it started, but it certainly hadn't staunched.

"Oh. I didn't know I was, um," I said, and then she leaned into me. We sat on the floor and I cried into her neck. I didn't know what was going on. She stroked my back gently, and I clung to her as tightly as I could. After a few minutes I pulled away.

Twilight sniffed and wiped a tear from her own eye. "Moondancer, I... I don't want to be more important than you."

I nodded. "I know," I said quietly.

We sat there for a moment in silence, nopony knowing what to say. I figured that everything had already been said.

"You wanna get cleaned up?" I asked. "The bathroom has two sinks." Without waiting for a response, I stood up and walked to the door. I didn't limp this time; physical pain was nothing compared to the feelings striking me in the gut, and I wasn't about to start another round of baby-eyed bawling.

After I'd washed and dried my face and shoulders, I turned to look at Twilight. She was looking in the mirror. She looked wrecked. I probably looked the same way, but I wasn't willing to look at myself in the mirror. Heck, even when I'd had myself together, I didn't like looking at myself. I never thought there was anything worthwhile to see.

"Twi, it's okay. I dunno what's wrong with my feelings, but it isn't your fault. I'm glad you're who you are. I love—I mean, I like that about you," I said, then felt warmth in my cheeks. I hoped with all my heart that what I'd just blurted out didn't sound as stupid to her as it did to me.

Twilight smiled warmly, and then just as quickly it vanished. "It's not just you. Princess Celestia puts all this pressure on me, and I just... I'm not willing to be who she is," she said. I wasn't really sure what she meant by that.

"Well, maybe you should just be yourself, and to Tartarus with her," I said. I immediately regretted it (I hated being so terrible at social conversation), but to my surprise, it made Twilight laugh.

"Yeah, sometimes I'd like that. I get away with being myself whenever I can," she admitted. "And actually, so does Celestia, in her own way. She has a quirky sense of humor. Hay, can I tell you something in secret?"

I shrugged. "We've been sharing secrets for, what, days now? Go right ahead."

Twilight took a deep breath. "I've been working on a spell that Princess Celestia knows about, and it's rather macabre."

My ears perked up. "Don't leave me in suspense," I said, and cracked my first genuine smile of the day (not counting the drug-induced kind).

"It's a spell that will allow the caster to relive the last few days of another pony's experiences," she said.

"Holy Moon above! That's amazing!" I said. Suddenly, my recent funk seemed a distant memory. "Could I use it on you someday? Could you use it on me? Just imagine what you could do with it! But... wait, why is that macabre?"

"Well, there's a catch," grimaced Twilight. "It only works shortly after the pony has, um, kicked."

"Kicked? I don't—"

"The bucket," said Twilight. "It works on the very recently deceased."

I felt a chill tickle at the back of my neck. "Oh gosh, that's kind of sick," I said. Twilight immediately looked distraught. "No, wait! Oh, Twilight, no. I'm so stupid, ignore me, everything I say is wrong..."

"Moondancer, you're fine. And you're not stupid or wrong, either," said Twilight. "Look, it's obviously going to be a useful spell, and I'm pretty close to completing it. But it's not something I would have thought of on my own. Celestia put the pieces together and determined the spell was possible, and then she told me about the idea and suggested I work on it."

I closed my eyes. "I get it. You think she's trying to toughen you up," I said. "This Princess is really starting to piss me off."

"She means well, Moondancer. I need to grow," said Twilight. "It really is for my own good."

"Twilight," I said, walking forward and holding her by the shoulders, "in a lot of ways, you're still just a kid. You might be twenty-four or whatever—"

"Twenty-five."

"—again, or whatever, but you were pretty much friendless too until a couple of years ago. You need more time and space than Celestia is giving you," I said.

"I know. I've needed to tell her for a while," said Twilight.

"I'll tell her for you," I resolved.

"No, Moonie, please..."

"No, I will. Look, I'm no Princess of Friendship," I said, again immediately regretting my choice of words. "But I've already learned it's not a bad thing to accept help from your friends. I'm not going to embarrass you, I just want to talk to her sometime, and if it comes up it comes up."

"Maybe that would help," said Twilight. "I just don't want to think about it right now. With this vague danger lurking out there, and what already happened to your hoof, I'm scared of losing you, Moondancer."

"I'm going to be fine," I said, and then I hugged Twilight and I kissed her cheek.

I had no idea why I kissed her cheek.

It was really, really weird. It was so weird I froze, but Twilight just nuzzled my neck in response and said, "Thanks." Then she smiled at me.

"I, um, er, I... um," I said. "Um."

Suddenly, Twilight's eyes shot wide and her mouth dropped. "Ohmygosh! I have an amazing idea for an experiment we can do," she said. She paused for a moment, then took my hoof and led me back into the main area of the lab.

I was too nervous to say anything after being a complete weirdo, so I just gave her my full attention, which was a lot of attention.

"Okay. This is going to be a little strange, but here goes. I'm going to go into the basement," she said. "I need you to do exactly what I say, okay?"

"I, sure. Wait, what?" I said.

"I can't explain it fully, or it might not work," said Twilight. "I swear, it's essential. But I'll tell you in six minutes."

I groaned. I already had the general idea of what she was planning. The basement is the only place a pony could cast spells into the test chambers. I had absolutely no idea which spell she was going to try, and not knowing was positively maddening.

"If you were any other pony, Twilight. But I guess I'll play along. What do I do?"

"I'll go to the basement. Wait precisely one minute, then go into the anteroom and open experiment room zero. No, wait! Make that experiment room one," she said. "I assume we're still keeping to the plan of checking each experiment room."

"Twi, you're not going to do something dangerous and stupid, are you?" I said, scrunching up my muzzle in worry. She had a glimmer in her eye that looked suspiciously like somepony who was planning to do something dangerous and stupid. As curious as I was, I didn't want to see Twilight Sparkle hurt. One injury in two days was more than enough, thank you.

"Trust me," she said, notably not answering the question.

I shrugged. "What happens after I open the door?"

Twilight paused in thought for a moment, like she hadn't considered this most basic part of her plan. This made me feel even less confident. "Oh! Okay, so here's what you should do. After you open the door, keep it propped open. Then wait five minutes. Then come to the basement and get me."

Twilight was smiling like that pink friend of hers, which is to say she was grinning in a way that was both endearing and frightening in its intensity.

"You promise this is not dangerous?" I said, putting on my best you'd-damn-well-better-not-be-endangering-yourself face.

Twilight nodded. "Yes. The logic checks out perfectly," she said, her eyes scanning rapidly back in forth in front of her. "Wait one minute, open room one, wait five minutes, then come get me—but make sure you come get me right after five minutes because that's the most important part. Then you can tell me what you saw, and based on the results I should be able to explain what happened." She was practically bouncing in place with excitement. As nervous as I felt, her mood was catchy.

"Okay, let's do it. This time without losing a hoof, I hope," I said, rolling my eyes.

"You'll be fine," said Twilight, as though reassuring herself more than me. "Yes. You'll be fine. There are numerous possibilities but none of them should be dangerous for you. Remember! One minute, room one, five minutes." She ran downstairs before I could say anything else.

I grabbed a stopwatch from the desk, then walked into the anteroom and began pacing as it counted down.

"Horsefeathers. I don't like this, Twi," I murmured to myself. I had a strong sense that Twilight had just decided I was now more important than she was, after all that drama. I wasn't about to let something happen to her, but I was so insatiably curious, and she seemed so eager and confident...

It was the longest minute I'd ever had to wait through, but it finally ended. "Time's up," I said, just to convince myself I was ready.

Of course, I wasn't ready. But I didn't have a chance to hesitate, because I had to keep to the schedule. In my mind, I cursed Twilight for rushing me into this, but I swiftly opened the door to experiment room one. There was a static discharge, and a windy rush of warm air blowing out of the room. I lit my horn to look inside.

Waiting five minutes was no longer an option.