• Published 23rd Nov 2015
  • 3,937 Views, 41 Comments

Kingdom of Harmony - Stegi



Sunset Shimmer made her decision to return to Equestria.

  • ...
6
 41
 3,937

From Caterpillar to Butterfly

The ponies must have been in every room. The Castle of the Two Sisters didn’t offer any answers to why the cutie map called Sunset Shimmer. Starlight was frustrated which didn’t go unnoticed by the yellow Unicorn.

“Hey Starlight. Don’t give up. I know we haven’t found it yet. But we will.” The yellow Unicorn smiled.

“Sigh. It feels like we have been in and out of every room in this castle, or rather, what's left of it.” The purple Unicorn said.

“Maybe. Hmmm or? Maybe?” Sunset was guessing.

“Maybe what?” Starlight wondered.

“Maybe the map didn’t send us to the castle after all.” The yellow Unicorn’s eyes got larger.

“You mean you. The map didn’t send me anywhere. Ever… urgh” The purple Unicorn glanced at floor.

“Come on Starlight. Let’s go. I think I know where we have to go.” Sunset Shimmer said.

“Where are we going?” Starlight sounded a bit depressed.

“To the Tree of Harmony.” The Yellow Unicorn felt sure.

“The Tree of Harmony? Princess Twilight told me about it, but I’ve never seen it.” The purple Unicorn said.

Both Unicorns left the castle. The Tree of Harmony was located beneath the ruins. Princess Twilight had told Sunset Shimmer about the Tree and the Elements of Harmony. How they had to return the Elements in order to save Equestria. Even though Sunset Shimmer had never seen the Tree of Harmony, thanks to Twilight, she knew exactly where it was.

It was a magnificent sight when they entered the cave underneath the castle. The Tree seemed to be made out of the purest crystals ever seen by pony eyes. The Tree had a faint glow around it when both Unicorns walked up to it. They stopped in front of the magical tree. Suddenly a buzzing noise appeared out of nowhere.

The Elements of Harmony started to light up. Each Element’s light was moving toward the center of the tree, where the Element of Magic had it's place. The faint glow around the Tree was suddenly as bright as the stars in the night sky. Rainbow colors were powering up the Element of Magic. Sunset and Starlight could not help but stare.

Beams of magical Light in rainbow colors erupted from each Element of the Tree. Their target was Sunset Shimmer. The yellow Unicorn’s eyes turned glowing white, and her horn color changed from yellow to a glowing white. Magical glowing wings of a brilliant yellow light grew out of her body. Starlight was fascinated by all the magic and beauty she saw.

Sunset Shimmer was lifted up in the air. She stopped ascending when she reached the same height as the Element of Magic. A magical ball consisting of white and yellow light consumed her body. Starlight Glimmer couldn’t see the yellow Unicorn anymore. A band of bright glowing rainbow started to spin around the magic ball. After a few seconds an explosion of light blinded Starlight Glimmer. It took the purple Unicorn a while before she could see again.

Starlight Glimmer was staring in the direction where Sunset Shimmer used to be. The Unicorn was unsure about what just happened. She didn’t have time to consider it, though. Loud rumbling noises and a shaking ground required her immediate attention. It sounded like the Castle of the two Sisters was falling apart on top of her.

Starlight started running towards the exit of the cave. She was almost there before falling rocks and boulders sealed the entrance. Starlight powered up her horn trying to move the debris out of the way but she couldn’t move them.

“Your destiny is not today.” A soft voice said.

“Who is there?” Starlight tried to clear her head, the voice sounded familiar.

“I have to send you back now.” The voice said.

“Sunset? Is that you?” The purple Unicorn identified the voice.

The Tree of Harmony lit up again. But this time it was different. Around the Element of Magic, the cutie mark of Sunset Shimmer appeared. Even the tree branches were lit up as an exact replica of Sunset’s cutie mark. The red and yellow light formed a beam of magic.

“Do not worry, everything will be ok!” The voice assured.

A bright beam of red and yellow magical light fell down on Starlight Glimmer. The purple Unicorn disappeared into thin air.

Sunset Shimmer’s eyes returned to normal. She was standing on solid ground but when she looked down, there was nothing. It didn’t take her long to figure out she wasn’t exactly in Equestria no more. Sunset felt warm, protected and loved. A feeling she last felt at the battle of the bands, after she and her friends defeated the Sirens. That was the first group hug from the girls she'd ever gotten. The Tree of Harmony transported her, but where?

“Hello? Anyone here?” Sunset didn’t get an answer.

She saw a light in the distance moving closer. More and more lights gathered around her. Some were close to Sunset Shimmer, others further away. A sea of stars surrounded the pony. Sunset heard voices echoing through time and space.

“Who are you?” Sunset yelled.

“We are all that was.”

“We are all that will be.”

“We are all that is.” Different voices from different directions answered.

“Why am I here?” The pony asked.

She got a different kind of response. Pictures started to form in front of her. What she saw, was pieces of her own memories. The day when she left Equestria.

“Sunset, please. What has happened to you?” Princess Celestia spoke in a soft voice.

“You are holding me back. You don’t want me to become powerful because you are scared that I might become even more powerful than you are.” A conflicted Sunset Shimmer yelled back at her mentor.

“You know it’s not true. I want you to become who you are meant to be.” The ruler of Equestria explained.

Sunset Shimmer was crying and ran through the portal with nothing but a bag. The picture changed and went to another moment out of her past.

“Hi, my name is Flash.” The blue haired boy reached out with his hand to pick Sunset Shimmer up.

“Where am I? And what are you?” The girl asked.

“You must have hit your head pretty hard if you don’t know what I am.” he answered.

With a flash of light the scenery changed to a another moment.

“I could stay like this forever.” A happy Sunset Shimmer said. Laying on the grass next to the blue haired boy and
staring into the sky. He leaned over and gave her a gentle kiss. It was her first kiss in a world which was as strange to her as the feeling it produced.

“I would like for you to be my girlfriend.” Flash looked into her eyes.

“Flash…” Their lips met again.

A thunder clap accompanied by lightning heralded the change of scenery.

“I don’t know you anymore Sunset. You have changed. You are cruel to people, mean and sometimes plain hateful. You even think you can boss me around now. I think we have to end this.” Flash Sentry said in his anger about her.

“What do you mean we have to end this?” Sunset Shimmer was upset.

“I mean that I’m breaking up with you.” The blue haired boy turned around and walked away. Sunset’s eyes teared up and her heart felt heavy.

The thunder became louder before her glimpse of the past changed again.

“What exactly do you think you're going to do to stop me? I have magic and you have nothing.” Sunset Shimmer had transformed to a She-Demon and was confronting Twilight Sparkle at Canterlot High.

“She has us.” Rainbow Dash said with her scratchy voice. The girls lined up with Twilight.

“Hahahahahaha. She? The gang really is all back together again. Now step aside. Twilight has tried to interfere with my plans one to many times already. She needs to be dealt with.” She-Demon Sunset threw a magical fireball at Twilight Sparkle. “Hahahahahhahahaha. Whaaaaaaaaaaat?”

“The magic contained in my Element was able to unite with those that helped create it. The same Elements that exist in Equestria can be found in this world—Honesty, Kindness, Laughter, Generosirty, Loyality, Magic. Together with the crown, they create a power beyond anything you could imagine. But it is a power that you don’t have the ability to control.” Twilight Sparkle paused for a second.

“The crown may be upon your head, Sunset Shimmer, but you cannot wield it, because you do not possess the most powerful magic of all—the Magic of Friendship. Here and in Equestria, it is the only magic that can truly unite us all.” A magical beam in rainbow colors surrounded the She-Demon and forced her to transform back to Sunset Shimmer.

The pictures moved forward in time.

“Sunset Shimmer, we need you!” Twilight yelled. Once Sunset Shimmer picked up the microphone, she slowly made her way to the Rainbooms. Vinyl put on another beat and Sunset started singing.

“You’re never gonna bring me down. You’re never gonna break this part of me. My friends are here to bring me ‘round. Not singing just for popularity.” Twilight pitched in and both sang.

“We’re here to let you know. That we won’t let it go.” Now Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Apple Jack, Pinkie Pie and Rarity brought themselves in.

“Our music is a bomb and it’s about to blow.”

“And you can try to fight. But we have got the light of Friendship on our side! Got the music in our hearts. We’re here to blow this thing apart. And together, we will never. Be afraid of the dark…”

A huge magical Alicorn destroyed the Siren’s ability to seduce anyone. Thanks to the Magic of Friendship the day was saved. But this time it wasn’t just the Magic of Friendship, it was friendship magic plus one. Sunset Shimmer realized during the battle of the bands, when her friends were fighting and arguing that they lacked harmony. There was just one thing she didn’t realize.

The pictures of the past changed one more time. Sunset was at the Friendship Games shortly after human Twilight Sparkle became Midnight Sparkle.

“This isn’t the way! I know you feel powerful right now, like you can have everything you want! I’ve been where you are, I’ve made the same mistake you’re making! I put on a crown and, just like you, I was overwhelmed by the magic it contained! I thought it could get me everything I wanted!” Sunset was talking directly to Midnight Sparkle.

“Oh, you’re wrong. Unlike you, I can have everything I want!” Midnight Sparkle replied in a dark manner.

“No, you can’t. Even with all the magic and power, you’ll still be alone! True magic comes from honesty! Loyalty! Laughter! Generosity! Kindness! I understand you, Twilight, and I want to show you the most important magic of all…” Sunset threw the magic container on the ground.

When it broke apart it created a huge round ball of magic, which consumed and transformed Sunset Shimmer, and ultimately turned her into a human Alicorn, Daydream Shimmer.

“… the Magic of Friendship!” Daydream Shimmer finished. She was right to a certain extend but also wrong. It was part Magic of Friendship and part of the plus one which made her transform.

Both magic infused girls started to fight each other. The fight didn’t take very long after Midnight Sparkle was affected by Spike’s puppy eyes, she lost her concentration. Daydream Shimmer blasted her into a magic realm. But she followed her.

“Take my hand, Twilight. Let me show you there’s another way… just like someone once did for me.” Daydream Shimmer reached out for her. It took Midnight Sparkle a while to accept, she teared up and reached for Daydream’s hand. Together they transformed back into Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle.

Sunset Shimmer saw how her past-self took Twilight's hand and reassured her that she would be forgiven. All the images disappeared and all Sunset could see was a sea of stars in endless darkness.

“Sunset Shimmer, do you understand now?” Sunset Shimmer turned in the direction where the voice came from.

“Princes Luna?” Sunset Shimmer bowed down.

“No need for that anymore. Do you understand who you are?” Luna asked again.

“I think so.” Sunset Shimmer’s eyes got a bit larger and she had an innocent expression on her face. The thing she didn’t realized was that she'd closed the gap. She brought the harmony back to the Rainbooms in the battle of the bands.

Luna spread her wings. She stood on only two hooves and her eyes started to glow white. Lightning strikes came from all direction and hit the dark Alicorn’s horn.

“It is time for your destiny to begin.” Princess Luna used her extremely loud, royal canterlot voice.

“Loyalty.”
“Generosity.”
“Kindness.”
“Laughter.”
“Honesty.”
“Magic.”
“Harmony.” It sounded like hundreds of voice spoke the words. It was loud, even louder than Luna’s royal canterlot voice.

As it got quiet, Sunset Shimmer looked at Princess Luna. The dark Alicorn’s horn was glowing the brightest white Sunset had ever seen. It was surrounded by lightning. The Princess of the Night aimed her horn at Sunset Shimmer and shot a massive lightning bolt toward the yellow Unicorn.

“Sunset Shimmer… Guardian of Harmony and Princess of Equestria! Rise!” By the end of Luna’s sentence, the massive lightning bolt hit Sunset Shimmer. Sunset’s eyes started to glow white and her magical wings turned into normal wings. She transformed into an Alicorn. Sunset's wings spread wide with her front hooves lifted up in the air.


Starlight Glimmer appeared in the Castle of Friendship throne room. The expressions on the other ponies seemed as if they were seeing magic for the very first time. Wide open eyes, open muzzle, and no clue what had just happened.

“Starlight, how in the hay?” Apple Jack wondered.

“What just happened?” Rainbow Dash followed.

“Uh. Oh. Ah. P-p-pinkie –S-s-sense.” Pinkie Pie's Tail was electrified and stood up in the air. Her mane did the same thing.

“Pinkie? Starlight?” Rarity couldn’t keep up.

“Gotta go. Somebody, and I think I know who it is, came through the portal.” Instead of Pinkie Pie on her throne there was only pink dust and a few streamers floating in the air. The pink earth Pony took off so fast that even Rainbow Dash couldn’t keep up.

“Alright ya’ll. Let’s check it out. Diamond Tiara… Sugarcube, I need you, to stay here ok?” A.J. said.

“But Apple Jack…” Diamond wasn’t too happy.

“No fussin ‘round. I need you to be safe. We don’t know what or who came through that portal.” Apple Jack insisted.
The ponies made their way to the library where the portal was. Even Fluttershy was eager to see who it was. When they got to the library it wasn’t anything like what they expected. Pinkie Pie lay knocked out on the floor near the door with a few scruffs and puffs on her body. Rainbow Dash raced to her aid.

“Pinkie, what happened to you?” Dash asked but Pinkie Pie was knocked out cold, unable to answer.

A purple lightning bolt nearly missed the blue Pegasus. Rainbow Dash stared in the direction where it came from.

“Twilight? You are…” The blue Pegasus didn't get the chance to finish what she wanted to say.

Twilight Sparkle’s eyes were glowing white, her whole body was shaking hard. She was crouching on the floor and purple lightning bolts were coming out of her horn. She had no control over it, she hit Rainbow Dash’s wing and tore it up. With that, she knocked the blue Pegasus down for good.

“Ouch. That hurt. What are you doing?” Rainbow Dash started crying in pain.

Rarity, Fluttershy, and Apple Jack tried to help the defeated ponies. But one after the other, they were taken out by Twilight Sparkle. Starlight Glimmer was the last pony standing. She tried to fight back, her powered up horn created a magical defense shield around her. The first bolt from Twilight Sparkle destroyed the shield as if it was never there. Starlight changed her tactic and went on the offensive, trying to knock Twilight out with her magic.

The fight between Starlight Glimmer and Twilight Sparkle took only a few seconds. Twilight absorbed the purple Unicorn’s magic bolts without consequence. Starlight was the last to join the fight and the last to go down. But she went down and was seriously injured. All ponies lay on the floor in pain, unable to get up.

Twilight’s eyes were still glowing white, and random lightning bolts kept coming off her horn. An explosion of white light in the room blinded all the ponies on the ground. Princess Luna and Sunset Shimmer arrived in the center of the room. Sunset understood the situation immediately. She recognized it was Twi and not Princess Twilight. Before Luna had a chance to react, Sunset Shimmer's eyes turned glowing white.

“Take my hand, Twilight. Let me show you there’s another way… Concentrate on my voice and clear your thoughts.” Sunset Shimmer produced her voice in Twilight’s head.

The fresh Alicorn walked slowly towards the shaking pony. It was when Twi felt Sunset Shimmer rubbing her head against hers, that she finally calmed down. The human pony looked around and realized what she had done. Twi teared up and started crying. Sunset’s eyes returned to normal.

“I-I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have come here. I-I’m sorry.” Twilight broke out in even more in tears.

“It’s ok Twi. I’m here for you.” Sunset laid one hoof around Twilight, trying to comfort her.

Princess Luna looked up with pride at Sunset Shimmer. The yellow Alicorn had brought the situation under control. But there were still injured ponies all around them.

“Twi, excuse me for a second.” Sunset said.

Sunset Shimmer went to the center of the room. Her eyes started glowing again, her Alicorn wings transformed to glowing yellow magical wings, and her horn turned into bright white light. Sunset spread her wings, went a little into the air, and her horn produced magical sparkling flakes. All the ponies on the ground started to heal from their injuries.

The yellow Alicorn was overwhelmed with feelings. She didn’t know if she was to be upset at Twi for coming to Equestria, despite her warnings, or overjoyed that her best friend came to her aid not caring about how dangerous that could have been. She decided for the latter and walked back to Twilight.

“Welcome to Equestria, Twi!” A smiling Sunset Shimmer helped the visitor up on her hooves.

"Sigh" "ugh" "uff" The other ponies felt like they just got ran over by a train.