• Published 23rd Nov 2015
  • 3,936 Views, 41 Comments

Kingdom of Harmony - Stegi



Sunset Shimmer made her decision to return to Equestria.

  • ...
6
 41
 3,936

Winter Break at Canterlot High Part 1

The last day of school was over. The bell rang for the last time this year. The students of Canterlot High got ready for the winter break. Happy teenagers ran through the hallway. Twilight Sparkle had been on the way to her locker when the intercom called “Twilight Sparkle please go to Principal Celestia’s office”.

“Hey Twi, want me to come along. You never know if you need backup when you have to go to the Principals office.” Rainbow Dash said.

“Hehe. Thanks Rainbow, but I don’t think I have to worry about anything. Do you mind watching after Spike while I’m at the Principal's office?” Twilight Sparkle replied.

“Hey, I don’t need somebody watching me.” Spike threw into the conversation.

“I know Spike, but it makes me feel better.” Twilight smiled at her dog.

“Consider it done, Twi. Come on Spike, we'll get some fresh air.” Rainbow shouted with her scratchy voice.

“Alright.” The purple dog followed the girl with the rainbow colored hair.

“Thanks, Rainbow. I'll meet back with you guys by the statue outside.” Twilight made her way to the Principal’s Office. Celestia's office was rather small and simply decorated unlike Principal Cinch’s. She had one book rack, a cork board, a few pictures, an old looking desk, and a few school gadgets on the desk like the intercom. Twilight knocked on the door as she arrived.

“Come in, please.” Principal Celestia said from the other side of the door.

“You wanted to see me Principal Celestia?” Twilight asked.

“Yes Twilight. Please take a seat.” Celestia offered.

“How can I help you Principal?” Twilight took a seat.

“Actually, it is I who wants to help you Twilight.” The Principal said.

“I beg your pardon?” The girl was confused.

“You have been here for several months now. I have no problems with your academics, your grades are perfect but attendance requires my attention. You were late on several occasions.” Celestia explained.

“I’m sorry. I missed the bus a few times and had to wait for the next one. This never happened at Crystal Prep, there I could just walk to school. But I’m afraid Canterlot High is just too far away to walk.” Twilight looked sad.

“I know. That is why I have asked you over here. I recently inherited a book store from my Aunt Adele. The book store has an apartment above it. The store itself has been closed since my Aunt died. I don’t have the time to run it. I could use some help maintaining the place so I wanted to offer you the job. You could live in the apartment rent free. All you have to do is take care of the place. Of course, you can read all the books in the store as well.” The Principal offered.

“Oh, and before I forget, it is in walking distance of the school.” Celestia added.

“Are you serious? That would be awesome. Thank you, thank you, thank you…” Twilight was so happy about the offer. She and the girls had discussed her living situation, and had been looking for a new place nearby.

“Great! Here are the keys. I also printed out a map so you can find the place. It’s about a ten minute walk from here. I will come by from time to time to check up on the place. But no worries, I will not come unannounced or uninvited into your apartment. Let me know if you need any help.” Celestia gave her the keys and the map with directions.

“I can’t thank you enough Principal Celestia.” Twilight was so excited and yet so embarrassed.

A simple thank you didn’t feel enough. She took the keys and the map. Twilight thanked the Principal a few more times on her way out of the office. Twilight was on the way to her locker when someone tapped her shoulder. She turned around and saw Apple Jack.

“Heya there nerdy girl, whatcha doin?” Apple Jack asked.

“Oh, hi A.J. I was just at the Principal’s office. You won’t believe what happened!” Twilight was still excited and couldn’t wait to tell her friends.

“Shoot.” A.J. wanted to know what was up.

“Principal Celestia just gave me keys to my new place! Her Aunt died a while ago and she had a bookstore with an apartment. Can you believe that? A bookstore, in the same building as my new apartment, and I can use whatever book I want to read. I don’t even have to pay rent, all I have to do is take care of the place and the store.” Twilight told Apple Jack all about it.

“Bust my boots. That is awfully nice of the Principal. Especially after we were looking for a new place for you these past two months.” Apple Jack was happy for Twilight. The girls walked to the lockers. A.J. was a few steps ahead of Twilight.

“Uhm, Twilight? Your locker is making noises. You left your phone in there?” Apple Jack noticed.

“No, I have my phone on me. Hmm, how strange.” Twilight turned her locker combination and opened the locker. The book she got from Sunset Shimmer was glowing and vibrating.

“Oh. It’s Sunset’s Journal.” Twilight grabbed the book and opened it up. She flipped a few pages to find the last entry. Then she started reading…

Dear Twilight Sparkle,
It’s me Sunset. Let me get right to the point. Princess Twilight, or your pony you, disappeared eight days ago. Nobody has seen her or knows her whereabouts. I got the ponies to search her castle for any clues. I actually thought this Journal would give me some answers but I can’t even find the “help” entry. My old mentor and ruler of Equestria Princess Celestia is missing too.

I need your help. You are the smartest person I know. Got any ideas? So far we have nothing and, unless a magical wonder happens, I don’t know what to do.

How is everybody? I hope you guys are alright. For me everything is different than I expected it to be. All you guys are here with the exception of you, Twilight. I know it sounds strange but your pony counterparts are so alike, it feels like I’m here with my friends. It is hard to describe. I still miss you guys though.

Oh and before I forget. I already had my first fight here. A pony with the name of Starlight Glimmer got the better of me. It’s all worked out though, nothing to worry about. But enough with the chatter, I have to go meet with the other ponies and continue the search. If you have any ideas write them down into the Journal. Thanks in advance and I will try to keep you up to date as much as I can.

PS. I've had this weird feeling ever since I entered the castle. When I arrived here yesterday, I thought it was just me being nervous. I can’t describe it, but something is up with me and I don’t know what it is. Anyway, I’m sure I can figure it out. Say hi to the girls for me and tell them that I miss them.

Love you guys,
Sunset

Twilight's mood changed drastically from excited and happy to worried and even a little sad. Apple Jack noticed it right away.

“Everything alright Sugarcube?” A.J. asked concerned.

“No. Princess Twilight has been missing for eight days and nobody knows where she is. Sunset is ok, she said. But after reading her message, I don't feel that she is. Here, read it for yourself.” Twilight handed Apple Jack the Journal.

The farm girl read the entire entry. Apple Jack raised her eyebrows with a worried look on her face.

“Looks to me like they are in quite a tizzy over there in Equestria. Though Sunset is right, you are the smartest person around.” A.J. laid her arm around Twilight’s shoulder.

“Let’s go A.J., Rainbow is waiting on me outside. She's watching Spike.” Twilight indicated that they had to go. She put the Journal in her book bag and walked to the school’s exit. Apple Jack followed her.

The two girls informed Rainbow Dash about what happened. She was happy for Twilight, yet sad for Princess Twilight. They wanted to tell the other girls but Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Sunset Shimmer were planning for the Christmas Eve Party at Pinkie's home. And Fluttershy had an emergency at the animal shelter. The three girls decided to meet later that afternoon at Twilight’s new apartment. They were eager to see it as much as Twilight was.


Twilight Sparkle and Spike were on the way to the bookstore and their new home. It had been a cold winter this year. Snow was covering the ground like a thick blanket and cars were driving very slowly on the icy roads. Twilight wore a bright blue winter coat with a warm hoodie. She got this jacket from Rarity and it matched perfectly with her colors. Purple and bright blue went well together. The coat even had stitches with the symbol of magic on it.

“Spike, any idea how we can help Sunset Shimmer?” Twilight asked her dog.

“No sorry, I got nothing but you will figure it out, Twilight. You always do.” The purple dog answered.

“I hope you are right Spike. I know very little about magic and solving a problem for a magical place like Equestria. There seems to be very little room for science.” The girl paused for a few seconds. “Or is there. Wait a second…, I got it Spike. I think I got it.”

“See! I told you, you could figure it out. What is on your mind?” Spike smiled

“Remember the device I built to pick up the strange energy readings from Canterlot High? I can use that design to build a device which would look for Princess Twilight.” Twilight got excited in a nerdy kind of way.

“But how can you tell Princess Twilight's magic from all the other magic in Equestria.” The purple dog now thought this wasn’t such a great idea after all.

“Cause I will adjust the device, not to search for magic, but for DNA.” The girl’s brain was flooded with new ideas how to perform this task.

“Then how do you get her DNA?” Spike perked up.

“I won’t. I'll use my own DNA. She is me and I am her. We live in different worlds, but if I’m right we share the same physical attributes. That is why she looks exactly the same as me. I would bet too, if I go through that portal I would look exactly the same as she does. Let’s hurry Spike, we need to get back to our old home. I need a few things.” Twilight and Spike crossed the street to go to the nearest bus stop. They took the next bus heading back to the city.

Rainbow Dash knocked at the door of the animal shelter. The shelter was closed for two weeks during the holidays, but she knew Fluttershy should be there. Nobody answered her knocking. Rainbow pushed down on the doorknob and was surprised to find it unlocked. She walked into the animal shelter and started calling for Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy, where are you? You left the door open.” Nobody responded to Dash’s calls. She went to the next room and suddenly stopped when she heard a noise. It sounded like somebody was crying from the corner across the room. Rainbow Dash walked in that direction and found Fluttershy.

“What’s up girl, are you alright?” Dash was concerned.

“I-I’m fine. I’m just sad.” Fluttershy responded.

“Why are you sad Fluttershy?” Rainbow wondered.

“Well remember when I left school today because of an emergency?” The kind girl started to explain.

“Yeah, I remember. You had to go to the animal shelter.” Dash remembered.

“Chester, died this morning.” Fluttershy busted out in crying.

“Oh no, not sweet old Chester.” Rainbow felt bad for Fluttershy.

*********

Rainbow Dash was thinking about how five years ago, Fluttershy rescued Chester from certain death. The cat was badly hurt, had a broken leg, and a burned tail. Rainbow Dash was there when it happened. Fluttershy saw the cat by some trash cans looking for food, barely able to walk. It broke the kind girl’s heart to see a cat so mistreated.

She picked Chester up without any hassle, even if he wanted to run away, he couldn’t. It looked like he hadn’t eaten in weeks. It was the first time Rainbow Dash really saw Fluttershy’s gift. The kind girl had a bond with animals like no other, it was magical. Rainbow escorted Fluttershy and Chester to the Vet. The animal doctor treated the cat immediately. Dash even put some money down on Chester’s treatment because Fluttershy did not have enough.

It took weeks before Chester could walk and run again. Some of his grey fur didn’t grow back on his tail. Nowadays Fluttershy did not have to pay at the Vet anymore. Her work with animals at the animal shelter was praised to the highest at the Veterinarian’s office. They knew she worked without pay. Rainbow recalls Fluttershy telling her that helping animals in need was a privilege.

Chester was such a sweet and lovable cat. Even though he was already an older cat, he was very playful. Fluttershy’s first true pet. Though she loves Angel the rabbit and all the other pets she cares for now, Chester was her first pet and losing him must be hard for her.

*********

Rainbow Dash laid both arms around Fluttershy and gave her a gentle hug.

“I’m so sorry. I know how much he meant to you.” Dash whispered in her ear.

“I’m going to miss him.” Fluttershy replied and broke out crying again.

“I tell you what. Write a song about him for the Rainbooms. Let’s carry on his legacy and tell his story.” Rainbow said.

“O-ok.” Fluttershy was still crying. Rainbow Dash was still hugging Fluttershy. She wouldn’t let go of the crying girl until she was convinced that she was ok. Rainbow was going to tell her about the Journal and Twilights apartment but the situation hadn’t given her the opportunity. She just wanted to be there for her friend.

Apple Jack was on her way to Sugarcube Corner to see Pinkie Pie and the other girls when she got a text message from Rainbow Dash. She read about Chester's demise. It had been one of those days where all big things happened at the same time. She rang the doorbell. Maud Pie answered the door.

“Howdy Maud, is Pinkie home?” Apple Jack asked.

“She is in her bedroom with the others.” Maud Pie’s voice was incapable of excitement in any form. Apple Jack went straight to Pinkie's room.

“Hi Apple Jack.” Pinkie Pie said.

“Hi A.J.” “Hey Apple Jack.” Sunset Shimmer and Rarity added.

“Heya. Gals do I got some news for ya'll.” A.J. was shaking her head.

Apple Jack laid it all out. Twilight got a new Apartment, Pony Sunset Shimmer called for help, and Chester’s passing. The girl’s had a hard time believing all this happened today. The three party planner girls put their notebooks down.

“We've got to go to Fluttershy. She needs us.” Sunset Shimmer said.

“I agree. I can’t imagine how horrible she feels right now.” Rarity added.

“What are we waiting for, let’s go.” Pinkie was completely dressed and ready to go. She changed in a split second. If it was any other girl than Pinkie Pie, the girls would have stared with an open mouth, but they were used to it. Pinkie broke the laws of physics at breakfast and did the impossible for lunch. After a few minutes, everybody was ready to go and the girls left Sugarcube Corner.