• Published 23rd Nov 2015
  • 3,936 Views, 41 Comments

Kingdom of Harmony - Stegi



Sunset Shimmer made her decision to return to Equestria.

  • ...
6
 41
 3,936

Gems of the Crystal Empire

Human Twilight and Sunset Shimmer arrived just in time at the Ponyville train station. Traveling by train was the fastest means of getting to the Crystal Empire. Sure, both ponies were Alicorns and had wings but neither of them ever used them. Twilight was truly fascinated by the beauty of Equestria. It was like a Winter Wonderland.

There was a thick layer of snow on the roofs and on the ground. Sunset Shimmer explained to Twilight how the Pegasus Ponies were responsible for the seasons in the Ponyville area. It was traditional. In other cities like Canterlot, Unicorns used their magic to switch the seasons. The Crystal Express train arrived shortly after the two ponies.

Sunset Shimmer wanted to board a train wagon with as few passengers as possible. That turned out to be no problem, since the train was almost empty. It seemed like nobody from the area was heading to the Crystal Empire. When the train started to move, both Twilight and Sunset were glancing out the window. Ponyville in winter was a very pretty sight to behold.

“You never told me how beautiful Equestria was.” Twi said.

“I think I have forgotten that for a while.” Sunset said with a dreamy look on her face.

“Tell me about the Crystal Empire.” The human Alicorn was curious.

“I don’t know much about it. Even though I have been inside the Crystal Palace, my knowledge about this place is based on rumors and legends.” The yellow Alicorn wasn’t able to come up with much.

“That’s ok. Say, Sunset, I’m curious. How do you feel now that you are back home? I mean, after your transformation and everything.” Twi’s curiosity seemed endless.

“I’m not sure. I haven’t had much time to think about it. I guess, it’s kind of the same as in the human world. I feel at home but still out of place. You girls made me feel at home back on the other side of the Portal, but here I am home. I’m sure as long as I can go through the Portal I’m at home where ever I am, or not. I just don’t know.” Sunset Shimmer had no definite answer.

“What about your transformation?” The human Alicorn kept pushing for answers.

“Which one? The transformation from human to pony or the one from Unicorn to Alicorn?.” The yellow Alicorn wasn’t sure.

“The Alicorn one.” Twilight was actually concerned.

“Oh, that one… Honestly, I don’t think I really understand it yet. It feels so surreal. Guardian of Harmony, that is what Luna called me… Guardian. It sounds so important. Yet I don’t have a clue what it actually means. I think the whole transformation makes me feel more out of place than ever before.” Sunset Shimmer had a sad look on her face.

“I think, I know.” Twi surprised Sunset with her comment.

“You think you know why? I’m looking forward to hearing that one. Unleash your magic.” They yellow Alicorn smirked.

“Alright. Remember at the Friendship Games how I was transformed. I was confused, I didn’t care for anybody but my goal to learn everything there is about magic.” The human Alicorn said.

“Hmm. How could I forget…” Sunset wanted to continue but was interrupted.

“When you and I fought, and you blasted us to wherever that was you blasted us. You said 'Take my hand Twilight, let me show you there is another way…' Well, when your hand touched mine it was incredible. The feeling that overcame my entire body was something I had never felt before. Everything seemed so clear and peaceful. You restored harmony back to me. The very same thing happened when I came through the Portal. You helped stop me from being out of control.” Twi rubbed her head on Sunsets.

“Thank you.” She added.

Sunset Shimmer was speechless, probably for the first time in her life. She looked at the human Alicorn when a single tear came out of her left eye. Twi lifted a hoof and wiped the rolling tear off Sunset’s face. There was a mutual understanding of silence. The human Pony looked out the window and admired the scenery.

“For somebody who didn’t have any friends until just recently, you sure know how to find the right words.” Sunset Shimmer said.

“Thank you, your Highness.” Twi started laughing.

“No, thank you, your Highness.” The yellow Alicorn went along with it. Both ponies were laughing.

“Next stop, The Crystal Empire.” The Conductor Pony shouted.

“Are you ready to meet the pony version of Shining Armor?” Sunset asked.

“I don’t think so.” Twi answered.

“Then let us do this. Cadance needs our help.” The yellow Alicon raised her voice a little.

“Mh-hmm.” The human Alicorn nodded.

It wasn’t long after the Conductor’s announcement that the train stopped at the Crystal Empire train station. It looked very different from Ponyville. There was no snow around and all the buildings were made of crystals. It was beautiful. The two Alicorns walked toward the Crystal Palace. It wasn’t just the tallest building, but it also marked the center of the Crystal Empire.

Sunset and Twilight took a while before reaching the massive building. They talked about how the ponies around them were crystal ponies. Twi tried to avoid thinking how something like a crystal pony was even possible, but Sunset always reminded her about magic. When they reached the entrance to the Crystal Palace they were stopped by two Guard Ponies.

“Hold! Nopony is to enter the Palace.” The purple Crystal Guard Pony said.

“We are here to see Princess Cadance.” Sunset Shimmer said.

“Sorry, nopony is allowed to enter the Palace. Per Prince Shining Armor's orders.” The other Guard Pony said.

“But it’s important that we see the Princess immediately!” The yellow Unicorn raised her voice.

“We have our orders. So move along.” The purple Guard Pony started to get rude.

“We can’t do that…” Before Sunset was able to finish, one of the Guard Ponies pointed a spear right at her face.

“I guess you want to spend a night in the dungeon. So be it.” Both Guards were approaching Sunset Shimmer.

“Enough!!!” Twi yelled as loud as she could and got immediate attention from the Guard Ponies. When the Palace Guards looked at the human Alicorn they noticed she had removed her robe. Her wings spread wide and her facial expression was no joke. They immediately noticed her as the Princess of Friendship.

“I-I-I’m sorry, Princess Twilight.” The purple Guard Pony bowed down, followed by the second.

“We need to see Princess Cadance immediately.” Twilight’s voice turned normal.

“Of course, your Highness!” Both Guard Ponies stepped out of the way and let them pass.

Twilight donned her robe again after entering the Palace. The yellow Alicorn had memorized every room and hallway inside the palace. Before she stole Twilight’s crown, Luna embedded the architectural plans for this building in Sunset’s head. They made their way to the royal chambers expecting nobody would be at the throne room.

“Hold. Who goes there.” Two white Guard Ponies were standing in front of the chamber.

“We, don’t have time for this.” Sunset looked at Twilight who already took her robe off again.

“Stand aside. We have to see Princess Cadance immediately.” Twi’s voice was unusually harsh.

“We have been ordered to let nopony inside. That would include you, Princess.” The higher ranking Guard said.

“Step aside Guards. We don’t have time for this nonsense!” Sunset Shimmer’s voice got really loud while she took of her robe as well.

The Guards crossed their spears to block the entrance. The yellow Alicorn wasn’t having it and took action. Her horn started glowing white and her wings spread wide.

“Last chance, let us pass!” Sunset demanded.

“We have our orders.” The white Guard Ponies prepped for a fight.

“As you wish.” Sunset Shimmer used her magic and lifted the two guard ponies into the air. Then she smashed them against the hallway walls and both of them lost consciousness. The Alicorns walked right into the royal chambers.

“Twily?” Shining Armor was shocked when he saw Twi.

“Before you say anything else, this is not your sister. It’s human Twilight.” Sunset knew she had to take control of the situation immediately.

“W-What? H-How?” The Prince seemed very confused.

“Where is Princess Cadance?” Twi asked.

“Cadance became ill while I was searching for you, I’m sorry I meant while searching for my sister. We had the best Doctors take a look at her, but nopony was able to help. Even the royal Canterlot Doctor has no idea what’s causing her illness. They all say she and our foal are dying unless a miracle happens.” Shining Armor started crying.

“Zap him Twi.” The yellow Alicorn seemed totally inconsiderate towards the Prince, but she didn’t want to waste any more time. Shortly after, Twilight zapped Shining Armor with a magic lightning bolt to ensure he was not a Changeling.

“Hey, what was that for.” The Prince, still with tears in his eyes, was quite upset.

“We will explain later, bring me to her.” Sunset Shimmer’s voice sounded urgent.

“What?” Shining Armor didn't understand the situation.

“Now!” The yellow Unicorn yelled.

“She is resting in the bedroom, follow me.” The Prince led the way.

Cadance was laying on the bed. Her mane was a mess and her body looked rough. The Princess’s eyes didn’t look right, they were somewhat grey and half closed. Sweat sheened on her forehead, running all the way to her muzzle. Sunset Shimmer and human Twilight Sparkle walked up to her side. It was then, when Prince Shining Armor noticed that Sunset Shimmer actually had wings.

“When we met at Canterlot Castle the other day, I don’t think you had wings. What happened?” The white Stallion wondered.

“Your mare first. Explanations later.” Sunset said in a hurry.

Sunset Shimmer’s eyes started glowing white. Her wings changed into sparkling yellow light and her horn became bright white. She soared in front of Cadance’s body and her horn showered a beam onto the weakened Princess. Sparkling magical flakes shimmered from Sunset's horn. There was a connection between both Alicorns which lasted for minutes. Immediately after the procedure the yellow Alicorn transformed back into her natural state and collapsed.

“Sunset!” Twi yelled.

“Cadance!” Shining Armor looked at his mare as she opened her eyes.

“I’m fine dear.” Cadance said with her soft voice.

“Sunset, get up!” The human Alicorn was yelling even louder.

The Guards that were previously knocked unconscious came running into the room. The Prince and Twi were right next to the unresponsive yellow Alicorn. The royal Guard Ponies apologized to Shining Armor, but he dismissed their apologies. They had only done their job and the Prince explained it was his fault for not mentioning that, of course, any Princess who came to visit should be allowed to pass. A few more minutes went by.

“She is not de… I mean she is not, is she?” Twi’s body started shaking and her eyes started to tear up.

“I honestly don’t know.” Shining Armor said with a sad expression on his face.

“Hey, rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated.” Sunset’s voice was weak and quiet.

Twi started to cry pretty hard, her head was on the yellow Alicorn’s body. Twilight's tears were tears of relief. Shining Armor laid a hoof around her, even though he knew it wasn’t his sister, he still felt connected to her. Sunset Shimmer healed a near death Cadance and her unborn foal. The amount of energy the yellow Alicorn had to use nearly cost her own life.

“Thank you Sunset Shimmer. You are a Guardian.” Cadance said softly.

“I-I’m sorry for c-crying.” Twi said.

“It’s ok sis, nothing to be ashamed about.” Shining Armor showed his brotherly love to the human Twilight.

“If you guys don’t mind, I need to get up.” Sunset Shimmer’s voice grew a bit stronger. The human Alicorn and Prince made room for her to stand up.

“Twilight, where have you been?” Cadance asked.

“I’m not Princess Twilight. I’m Twilight from the human world. I came to Equestria to help Sunset Shimmer find Princess Twilight.” This time the human answered for herself.

“I see, my dear friend and sister in law is still missing?” The Princess of the Crystal Empire had a sad look on her face.

“We will find her.” Sunset Shimmer sounded sure of it.

“Sunset Shimmer, last time I heard you were in the human world. And now you came here to save me and my foal. I’m grateful. But was it a coincidence you came at this point in time to the Crystal Empire?” Cadance wanted to know.

“No. We knew you were sick, and the reason why. We also know who is behind Twilight’s abduction.” The yellow Alicorn said.

“Queen Chrysalis.” Shining Armor had that feeling since a few days.

“Yes. The Changeling Queen had Cadance poisoned. So whoever is preparing your meals is responsible. How did you know?” Sunset Shimmer seemed almost fully recovered.

“I never encountered anypony who wanted to harm Cadance. Well, that was until Chrysalis. I had a feeling she was out for revenge after our wedding.” The Prince answered.

Cadance eyes were wide open when she heard this. Chrysalis was a name she tried to forget for a long time. The pain the Changeling Queen caused her before her marriage to Shining Armor, was unforgettable. Just hearing the name Chrysalis brought shivers down her spine. It was with a simple nod from the Prince that the royal Guard Ponies left the room.

“How are you feeling?” Twi was worried about her friend.

“I’m alright. Don’t worry.” The yellow Alicorns replied softly.

“How could I not? I thought you were dead.” The human Alicorn glanced at the floor.

“She is right. Saving us nearly cost you your life. I knew Chrysalis was bad but I never imagined she would go that far.” Cadance spoke softly.

“That is not all. She is preparing to invade and take over Equestria.” Sunset Shimmer broke the bad news.

“Then it’s true. The Changelings are truly evil. This time we might not be able to stop them my love.” Shining Armor had a sad expression on his face when he looked at Cadance.

“I know and this time we cannot interfere.” The Princess of the Crystal Empire had tears in her eyes.

“What do you mean you can’t interfere?” Twi asked nervously.

“We are bound to protect the Crystal Empire at all cost. It depends on our love and we can’t let the Crystal Ponies down, again…” Shining Armor said knowing that the Changelings would come there at some point to take revenge.

“The Changelings are not all evil.” The yellow Unicorn noted.

“What do you mean?” Cadance asked.

The Guard Ponies returned with the kitchen personal. Four ponies were escorted into the royal chambers. Two Crystal Ponies, one Pegasus, and one Earth Pony lined up in front of Princess Cadance and Shining Armor.

“You wanted to see us, your Highness?” The earth Pony asked.

“Twi…” before Sunset Shimmer could finish Twilight powered up her horn and shot a chain lightning of magic at the arrivals. The human Alicorn was angry her sister in law had been poisoned. She couldn’t help but think of Shining Armor and Cadance as her family. If they were her family in the human world, then they were family here too.

The magical lightning struck the royal Guard Ponies first, then the kitchen personnel. The head chief, an Earth Pony by the name of Cubby Cumber transformed into a black winged Changeling. Everypony else in the room seemed to stay who they were. Shining Armor grabbed the Changeling with his magic by the neck, and pressed him against the wall.

“You tried to kill my mare! My foal! Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t end you right here?” The Prince was in a rage, poised to eliminate the threat.

“Because that is not who you are, my love.” Cadance spoke even softer than usual while she approached the Prince. She rubbed her head against his, and slowly Shining Armor eased up on the Changeling. Sunset Shimmer stared at the Changeling's blue eyes.

“He is scared. But not about what happens to him.” The yellow Alicorn got that impression from staring at Cubby Cumber.

“I can feel it too. Tell me Changeling what are you so afraid of?” The Princess of the Crystal Empire seemed concerned for the very being that tried to kill her.

“I-I can’t.” The black creature's answer was short.

Sunset Shimmer's eyes started to glow white and so did her horn. Twi was the only one who noticed at this point. The human Alicorn was worried that her friend may collapse again. Images formed in the yellow Alicorn's head. Flashes of Changelings appeared in front of Sunset’s eyes. She understood now. Her eyes transformed back to normal as did her horn.

“I understand now. You didn’t want to poison the Princess. But if you did not obey, you would lose another loved one.” Sunset Shimmer had seen what he was afraid of.

“H-How do you know that? It doesn’t matter it’s too late anyway. I have failed.” The Changeling dropped his head.

“You lost your brother, now you are afraid that she will take your wife and children from you.” The yellow Alicorn saw it all in her head.

“Yes, that is what she does. She takes the ones you love to punish you. And now, I will never see them again.” The black creature actually broke out in tears.

“It’s ok. We will find a way.” Cadance was very kind to the Changeling who had attempted to kill her and her foal, it surprised everyone in the room.

“Well, I may have an idea.” Twi tossed in.

“Don’t keep it to yourself Twily, speak up.” Shining Armor was curious.

“Nobody but those of us here in this room know that Cadance has recovered, or that we have discovered the Changeling. I know it sounds like a risk, but I think we should let him continue to work in the kitchen, without poisoning the food that is. That will buy us some time to come up with a plan to take Queen Chrysalis down. That means Cadance will need to stay here and pretend she is still sick. Also for the rest of you, you can’t talk about this, to anybody” The human Alicorn laid out her plan.

“That’s why she got the brains.” Sunset smiled and made Twi blush.

“Why would you ponies do that for me?” The Changeling was confused.

“Because the Changelings are as important to this world as every other creature. The Dragons, the Yaks, The Breezies, The Buffalos, and many more. True harmony can only exist if we all live in peace, and right now your Queen Chrysalis wants everything but peace. But I know there are many Changelings who do seek peace, her daughter is one of them. Princess Emadia has tried many times to convince her mother not to attack us, but failed. I don’t think we can change Chrysalis, however I think we can give the Changelings a new leader with Emadia. A leader who will give your kind a new future and maybe a new home.” Sunset Shimmer felt it inside her that she was right and that this was the correct path.

“You would have to kill the Queen before she would ever give up her power. I don’t think any pony can. Queen Chrysalis is too powerful.” The black creature said.

“No. I will not kill anypony. But I will ban her from this world if necessary.” The yellow Alicorn said with determination.

“Spoken like a true Princess.” Cadance bowed before Sunset Shimmer, and everybody in the room followed the gesture including the Changeling.

“Can you give us the location of the Changeling hideout? I promise we will not engage them, but I need to arrange a meeting with Emadia. I’m pretty sure it’s somewhere to the south, but you could save us a lot of time and time is of the essence.” Sunset asked the creature nicely.

“Ok, I hope this works. If not, my family is done for. They are in the Badlands. We took over a cave system after the Dragons left…” The black Creature explained in great detail where the Changelings were hiding.

“Thank you, I promise we will do our best to end this peacefully. Twi, it's time to head home.” Sunset Shimmer put her robe back on as did the human Alicorn.

Princess Cadance offered them a royal carriage to transport them back to Ponyville. Twi kissed the side of Prince Shining Armor's muzzle and even though they were from different worlds, he felt like family. Both, Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer knew the task ahead wasn’t an easy one and they had only a little time to complete it.