• Published 23rd Nov 2015
  • 3,936 Views, 41 Comments

Kingdom of Harmony - Stegi



Sunset Shimmer made her decision to return to Equestria.

  • ...
6
 41
 3,936

First time in Ponyville

The train station in Ponyville was empty. Nobody around, nobody getting on or off the train. Sunset was wondering where everybody was. Last night when she returned to Equestria, it was her first time in Ponyville. So she hadn’t really seen anything but a little bit of Twilight's Castle in the dark. It had been eight days since the Princess went missing. Nobody asked for ransom and nobody had seen her and what about Celestia’s disappearance? Sunset still tried to make sense out of it while walking through Ponyville.

The wind wasn’t as strong as the previous night but it felt colder than yesterday. She walked by half-timbered houses with hay roof tops. Finally, Sunset saw life in this beautiful little town. Ponies walked the streets, some in a hurry others not so much, then suddenly everybody stopped. Sunset could feel the glares and stares from these ponies. Obviously they noticed she wasn’t from around here.

“Howdy Stranger, whatcha looking for?” A familiar country voice asked. Sunset turned in the direction of the voice. She saw an orange Farm Pony hooked up to a wagon carrying supplies down the road. She looked at the pony's cutie mark, three red apples, and had no doubt who it was.

“A.J. is that you?” She asked.

“Who are you and how do you know my name? Only some of my friends call me A.J.” The orange Farm Pony gave her a suspicious look.

“I’m sorry Apple Jack. Your voice, your country accent, they are identical with my friend A.J.'s in the human world. I’m Sunset Shimmer and I have come back to Equestria to help find Princess Twilight.”

“Oh shucks. It’s been awhile since I have seen ya. Last time you stole Twilight's crown. Sorry I didn't recognize ya, especially after Pinkie told us you were here.“ Apple Jack put a grin on her face and seemed at least a tiny bit embarrassed.

“Nothing to be sorry about A.J, I hope its ok to call you that. I’m so used to it, it would be hard for me to change. I know this is strange since I know a lot about you and feel connected to you, but yet you barely even know me. Anyhow, have you seen Pinkie Pie? I told her to come and see her when I’m back in Ponyville and I have no intention to break that pinkie promise.” The yellow Unicorn replied.

“Actually I do know quite a bit too. Twilight did tell us a lot about the human world, about our counterparts, and she always had a lot to say about you. So the answer is yes Sugarcube, you can call me A.J.” Apple Jack said.

“Pinkie Pie and most of the ponies should be in Town Hall. That is where I’m heading. Just tag along and put your bag on the wagon.” She added. Sunset placed her bag on Apple Jack's wagon. It smelled like fresh backed apple pies and sure enough the whole wagon was full of it.

**********

She remembered visiting A.J. in the human world. Apple Trees were everywhere and it seemed like the small farm popped up in the middle of nowhere. A white fence separated the buildings from the Apple trees and a sign on the farm entrance said: Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres. Sunset remembered how much she liked that name. During the school breaks she went to visit Apple Jack to help out on the farm and with the harvest. Back then, nobody expected that Sunset was even interested in simple work like that.

One of Sunset's favorite memories was the time when she and A.J. created a new apple pie. The girls had been planning on it for weeks. It was a few days before Thanksgiving which always signified the Apple Family Reunion. Apples came from all over the country to Sweet Apple Acres to celebrate. Apple Jack insisted on the name Apple Sunset for the pie.

The pie had a thin bottom layer of vanilla pudding, a main thick layer of three different kinds of apple filling, and another thin layer of vanilla pudding, topped with a cinnamon sugar garnish. It was the first time ever that Sunset saw Apple Bloom, A.J’s younger sister, eating two pieces of pie. Big Macintosh even ate three pieces. She remembered Granny Smith saying this was the best Apple Pie since the invention of Apple Pies.

Apple Jacks Family wanted Sunset to be there at Thanksgiving but she declined the invitation. She felt close to Apple Jack and her family but she was worried about feeling out of place. When she first started to make up for all the damage she caused, when she was evil, almost all the students and teachers showed her the cold shoulder. She felt terrible and out of place. Sunset didn’t want to feel that again. A.J. understood her and told her later on what a mega success the apple pie was. Everybody asked for the recipe but she did not share it.

**********

The two ponies stopped in front a big round building. They had arrived at Town Hall. It used to be the largest building in Ponyville until Princess Twilight got her castle. The Princess of Friendship’s home was a little outside of the town, however it was still considered Ponyville just like Sweet Apple Acres. Ponies were racing by Apple Jack and Sunset Shimmer into the building.

“Hurry there is news about Princess Twilight.” Both Ponies overheard one of the Pegasus Ponies who was running inside. They decided not to waste any time and followed. There was at least fifty other ponies in there. Earth Ponies, Unicorns, and Pegasis all were standing in front of the podium. A beige colored Pony with a ribbon bound scroll for a cutie mark made her way past the crowd to the podium.

“Who is that?” Sunset asked.

“That’s our Mayor. Mayor Mare.” Apple Jack replied. Lots of noise from talking and whispering ponies made the Farm Pony's voice hard to hear. The beige colored pony arrived at the podium. Sunset could see now that the Mayor was wearing glasses, something you don’t see a Pony wear very often. Mayor Mare signaled with her front hooves to the crowd to be silent. She certainly got every ponies' attention.

“It has been eight days since Princess Twilight’s disappearance. We heard numerous rumors where ponies have seen her with the Dragon and without. We have another unconfirmed report that they were seen on Foal Mountain. But please, every Pony, keep calm this may be just another rumor. So keep searching and we will send some ponies to investigate.” The mayor left the podium after her short speech.

“Yeah, I don’t think they are at Foal Mountain.” Sunset said.

“Why is that Sugarcube?” Apple Jack asked.

“Cause Princess Celestia also disappeared while searching for Twilight and Spike. She was reportedly searching way south of Canterlot and Ponyville. And Celestia and four Ponies of the royal guard went missing yesterday.” The yellow Unicorn replied.

“Shucks. Princess Celestia has disappeared too?” A.J. seemed to be in disbelief.

“Unfortunately so. Princess Luna actually raised the sun today. I guess the news has not made it to Ponyville yet. We should tell the Mayor.” Sunset added.

The Mayor was shocked when she heard the news about Princess Celestia. After debating it back and forth, they decided not to say anything right away. Ponies are already worried about Princess Twilight. There was no telling how much panic and maybe chaos the news about Equestria’s Ruler would bring. Though Sunset knew she had to tell the other ponies before they started a new search.

“A.J. we've got to find the others. I need to take another look at Princess Twilight’s castle. No stone can be left unturned.” The yellow Unicorn said.

“Why do you need to turn stones at the Castle for exactly?” Apple Jack wondered.

“Sorry A.J., it is an expression from the human world. It means checking everything carefully so we don’t miss anything.” Sunset blushed for a second, it was the second time she'd used a human expression on a Pony.

“Apple Jack.” A scratchy sounding voice yelled through Town Hall. Apple Jack turned around to see where that voice was coming from but there were so many ponies around them it was hard to see past them. The orange earth pony shoved her way through to the door and finally back outside. Sunset Shimmer was right behind her. Rainbow Dash was standing at the wagon which was loaded with Apple Pies and Sunset’s bag.

“Rainbow? How come you are back so fast?” Apple Jack asked.

“I’m just that fast. Remember Wonderbolt in reserve here.” The blue Pegasus answered with a snippy remark.

“Sunset Shimmer, meet Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash, meet Sunset Shimmer” A.J. introduced.

************

Sunset remembered Rainbow Dash saving her life in the human world at the Friendship Games. She was her personal hero. They practiced guitar playing together and whenever she needed her for some sort of sports training she would help out. Sunset wasn’t the real sporty type though she got a lot better at sports and had a lot more practice thanks to Dash. Her guitar skills however were on par if not better then Rainbow’s though she would never admit to that.

Even though Sunset had changed she did have an attitude. Her bad side came to life when she or her friends were threatened. Rainbow was the only one at those moments who really understood her. Dash’s loyalty for the girls could turn her bad side on if it was needed.

One memory, particularly about Rainbow Dash, always comes back up when Sunset thought about her. Homework help and test preparations. It took her quite a while to figure out that Rainbow had a hard time learning like other students. Her grades where bad and if it wasn’t for her sports skills she probably would have had to repeat a school year. Some of the other students actually thought Dash was dumb.
Sunset knew Rainbow wasn’t dumb but she needed help. She wrote into the journal asking Twilight for advice. The Pony Princess explained that they had similar problems with the Pony Rainbow Dash. All came together then and Sunset created a plan how to help out her friend. She learned with Rainbow while they were doing other activities like playing guitar or practicing sports. Sunset was fascinated by Dash’s ability to multi-task.

************

“Hi, Dash.” Sunset said with a bright pony smile.

“Uhm, ok. Hi there, Sunset Shimmer.” Rainbows eyes where wide open, she didn’t know how to react. Nobody really called her just Dash.

“I have to give out these apple pies, ya’ll go ahead and go to the castle.” Apple Jack said.

“To the castle? I though Celestia said we shouldn’t go to castle cause we don’t know how and where Twilight and Spike disappeared.” The blue Pegasus replied.

“I know Rainbow. But Sunset said to leave no stone unturned.” A.J. put a big smile on. “Oh and there is another situation we have to discuss.”

“No stone unturned? What has turning stones around have to do with it? And what other situation?” Rainbow Dash had a confused expression on her pony face.

“I have to check in with Pinkie Pie first and bring her with me to the castle if that’s alright?” Sunset said.

“Sure Sugercube. Rainbow why don’t you get Rarity, Fluttershy, and Starlight to meet us all there?” Apple Jack insisted.

“Alright. But then I want to know why we have to turn around stones and the other thing.” Rainbow Dash was confused but didn’t have any issues gathering the other ponies. Like lightning in rainbow colors, she zapped up into the air and all that was left to see was a streak of rainbow following the direction she went.

Sunset used her Unicorn magic to pick up her bag from Apple Jack’s wagon. She asked a few ponies around her if they had seen Pinkie Pie but nobody seemed to have seen her. Out of nowhere a little pink pony with a purple white mane showed up.

“Pinkie Pie is at Sugarcube Corner.” The little pony said with pride in her face.

“And who are you?” Sunset Shimmer asked.

“I’m Diamond Tiara. You don’t look like you are from around here.” She stated.

“You are right, I’m not from here. I’m a friend of Pinkie Pie.” The yellow Unicorn explained.

“What’s your name?” Diamond Tiara was curious.

“Sunset Shimmer. If you don’t mind, could you show me the way to Sugarcube Corner?” Sunset clearly needed a guide. Ponyville is not a big town but big enough to get lost if you don’t know where to go."

“Well the old me would probably say no. Most likely not even talk to you since you are no Pony of status. But I did change not too long ago, so sure, why not.” The young Pink Pony replied. Both ponies started walking.

“So you are a Pony of status?” Sunset kept the conversation going.

“Yeah. It never has done anything for me though. I grew up getting everything I wanted and expected that everybody else did the same. I drove ponies apart and was pretty mean to everybody at school and wanted to be loved for it. In the end the Cutie Mark Crusaders helped me turn around.” The young Pony added.

Sunset listened to Diamond Tiara’s life story. She was amazed how much they had in common. It was refreshing to hear somepony else overcame her dark side. The pink earth pony talked about her rich parents and how her mother was the root of her evil. This was the one part where Sunset couldn’t relate. She didn’t know anything about her parents. She grew up an orphan. Sunset didn’t know if her parents were alive or not. It was the one topic she avoided discussing with her friends and especially with her counterpart from the human world.

When they arrived at Sugarcube Corner, Sunset was astonished how neat the building looked. Sure it was a half-timbered house like most of the houses in Ponyville, but it was decorated. The roof looked like it was taken straight off a huge gingerbread house. A chocolate Pony holding a candy cane was the weathervane. The whole place looked awesome for a bakery. Pinky Pie lived in the apartment above the shop. Both Ponies entered the bakery.

“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Cake. Is Pinkie Pie around?” Diamond Tiara asked.

“Hello Diamond Tiara and friend. Yes Pinkie Pie is upstairs.”Mrs. Cake answered.

Before they had a chance to go to Pinkies apartment a loud party whistle got their attention. Indeed it was the pink earth pony with her balloons cutie mark, doing a spinning loop through the air while confetti pieces seemed to fly off her body. Pinkie Pie was already here.

“Sometimes I wonder how you do that.” Sunset Shimmer said.

“Ah, that’s nothing. Oh you great Pinkie promise keeper.” The earth pony bowed down in front of Sunset Shimmer and her escort.

“I see you made a new friend.” Pinkie added.

“Yeah, Diamond here was kind enough to show me the way to Sugarcube Corner.” The yellow Unicorn said.

“Wow, we are friends now?” Diamond Tiara was delighted.

“Sure thing my little pony. Pinkie Pie and I have to go to Princess Twilight’s castle to meet with the others.” The Unicorn said.

“We do?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“I know Princess Celestia said not to go inside but we need to find clues where Twilight and Spike are and we are running out of options.” Sunset replied.

In the blink of an eye Pinkie wore a deerstalker hat and a cape, both in checkered pattern. In her mouth she had a pipe blowing bubbles. It reminded Sunset of a character from the human fiction world with the name Sherlock Holmes. After wondering how Pinkie Pie could have known the character, she dismissed it quickly with she is just being Pinkie Pie.

“Can I come to Princess Twilight’s castle too? My best friend Silver Spoon is visiting her aunt and my parents are in Canterlot.” Diamond Tiara asked.

“Better not. It might be dangerous.” Sunset said.

“Please. Pretty please.” The little earth pony put her cutest sad face on. It was when Pinkie Pie smiled at Sunset in a take her along way, that she realized Pinkie's outfit had disappeared.

“Alright. But you will stay close to me the entire time while we are in the castle.” The yellow Unicorn agreed to take her along but she wasn’t sure if that was really a good idea. After all, it could be dangerous. The three Ponies left Sugarcube Corner"

“Sunset Shimmer, why are you carrying that bag with you the whole time?” Diamond Tiara was curious.

“Well, I don’t exactly have a place to live here in Equestria.” The Unicorn answered but seemed a bit irritated by the question.

“What is in that bag anyway?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Honestly I have no idea. My friends packed and gave it to me and I have yet to open it.” Sunset said.

“Why don’t you open it now?” The bigger earth pony had a huge curious side. She started shaking a bit and then bounced around Sunset Shimmer eager to find out what was in that bag.

“I will check it out later. Right now we need to focus on the search.” Sunset replied.

“How come you have no home Sunset?” The small earth pony asked.

“It’s a long story and maybe one day I will tell it to you.” The yellow Unicorn kept on walking. Both earth ponies were not too satisfied with their answers but their spirit was high and it wasn’t coming down that easy. Twilight’s castle was still some distance away so they still had quite a walk ahead of them.