• Published 3rd Jun 2012
  • 738 Views, 11 Comments

Thunder and Lightning - Star-fire



Two gifted pegasus twins begin at Clouds-Dale.Only to go on a win best young flyers comptition.

  • ...
6
 11
 738

Chapter 1: New Students

It was always their dream to be like the wonder-bolts; or just any famous flyer for that matter. Yes, Thunder and Lightning had always wanted to fly professionally. Thunder and Lightning were Pegasus twins: Thunder was pitch black in colour and had a black and white striped mane. He was very tall, strong and assertive. Lightning on the other hand was rather different: He was pale white in colour, but shared the same black and white striped mane. Lightning was small, quite weak and very shy. Both were extremely gifted flyers, but lightning showed a little more skill than Thunder; this however didn’t affect their relationship. Ever since Thunder had noticed Lightning’s extra skill, he had accepted that Lightning was better than him and decided to help him. Lightning, who had always thought of other pony’s feelings before his own, was reluctant at first; he wanted Thunder to stay focused on his own flying. Thunder wouldn’t take no for an answer and swore to help Lightning achieve his dream; knowing that he himself would never have Lightning’s skill.

“Right, what have I told you to do, Lightning?” asked Thunder as they approached Clouds-Dale.

“Um... train harder than ever before?” he asked nervously as they landed nearby the training grounds.

“No!” shouted Thunder; like his name suggested, he could shout alright. “I told you to be more assertive. Have more confidence in yourself.”

“Oh... I’m sorry.” whimpered Lightning. He could never handle ponies shouting; especially when his brother shouted.

“No, I’m sorry Lightning. I shouldn’t be so hard on you. You have the skills; you just need to have more self-confidence, that’s all.”

“Thanks Thunder. I’ll try.”

They proceeded to walk in silence towards the training grounds. Lightning had always wished he wasn’t better than Thunder when it came to flying. He felt he was stealing Thunder’s dreams; but Thunder always reassured him that he wasn’t. Thunder was still a fantastic flyer and when Thunder and Lightning flew together, the sight was exceptional. They both had perfected their own signature moves and when they performed these moves together, the spectacle was unbelievable. They would both fly around in circles and when they were flying fast enough, Lightning would produce amazing bolts of golden lightning, while Thunder would generate a roaring chorus of thunder to accompany the lightning. Thanks to these moves, the twins earned their cutie-marks and their names “Thunder and Lightning”. Thunder’s cutie-mark was a group of three grey clouds with music symbols around them. Lightning’s was a magnificent, golden bolt of lightning. Although Thunder and Lightning’s signature move was spectacular, there was one Pegasus who could top it.


Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy walked across the majestic clouds of Clouds-Dale towards the training grounds.
“Man, it’s great to be back at Clouds-Dale.” said Rainbow Dash as the training grounds emerged into view.

“Yeah, I suppose.” muttered Fluttershy. “So long as I don’t have to partake in any events.” Fluttershy was never a strong flyer, thought Rainbow Dash, and she never really wanted to be a great flyer. It was her confidence that let her down; she didn’t have a lot of self-confidence. As they entered the training grounds, Rainbow Dash heard Fluttershy whimper.

“Come on Fluttershy, it won’t be that bad.” she said.

“It’s just the other ponies, they’re... they’re so mean to Me.” replied Fluttershy as she began to cry.

“Aw, come here.” Rainbow held out her arms and Fluttershy fell into them with such unsuspected force that Rainbow Dash was nearly knocked over.

“Thanks Rainbow. You always make me feel better.”

“Any time Fluttershy, pal. Come on lets go.”


“Wow, look at this place Thunder.” said Lightning as they entered the training grounds. It was a huge stadium filled with Pegasus ponies stretching and warming up.

“Yeah, it’s a sight alright. I know we’ll fit right in.” replied Thunder.

“Hey look over there, bro. Is that who I think it is?” said Lightning, excitedly pointing in the direction of two pegasi. One was bright yellow in colour with a pink, flowing mane; but it was the other pony that caught Thunder’s attention: Pale blue in colour and a mane like nothing he had ever seen before. It was all the colours of a Rainbow! He had never seen anything so dazzling before in all his life.
“It’s her! It’s her!” shouted Lightning uncontrollably. “It’s Rainbow Dash!”


“Hey Fluttershy!” yelled a rough looking Pegasus. “I hope your flying today. I want a good laugh!” All the pegasi around him began to laugh and shout jeers over at Fluttershy.

“Hey!” shouted Rainbow Dash. “Leave her alone, chump!”

“What are you going to do, Rainbow CRASH!” retorted the rough Pegasus. He and his gang began to round on her.

“I suggest you leave her alone.” said an unfamiliar voice. “If you know what’s good for you.”

The Pegasus turned to face the voice, “And what are you going to...“ He stopped talking when he saw who was standing in front of him. A huge, pitch black Pegasus loomed over him. The colossal pony snorted and dug at the clouds with his
massive hooves.

“Yes sir, I mean... yes... um... come on guys let’s get out of here.” he spluttered. He and his gang of pegasi ran off with their tails between their legs.

“Phew!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash. “That was close. If you didn’t come when you did I don’t know what would have happened.”

“That’s alright. You should be more careful next time.” replied Thunder.

“I’m sorry, have we met?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Oh dear, where are my manners, I’m Thunder and this...” he pointed to the pony cowering behind him. “This is Lightning. We are new here.”

“Hi” whispered Lightning.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Rainbow Dash and this...” she pointed to the Pegasus cowering behind her. “This is Fluttershy.”

“Hi” whispered Fluttershy.

“We have heard a lot about you, Rainbow. Lightning here is actually a huge fan of yours. Isn’t that right Lightning?” asked Thunder. Lightning came out from behind his brother, avoiding eye contact with the two fillies.

“Yes, that’s right” he said nervously, digging at the clouds.

“Well it was nice to meet you both” said Rainbow Dash. “Hope to see you up in the sky.”

“Oh you will” replied Thunder.

“Come on Fluttershy.” Thanks again Thunder!”

“Any time Rainbow. Bye.”

“See you later” she replied.

Thunder and Lightning watched the two pegasi walk off. They kept glancing over their shoulders at the pair of them and giggling.
“You’re never going to impress Rainbow Dash if you can’t even look at her Lightning” said Thunder.

“Oh don’t you worry, Thunder, I’ll impress her alright” replied Lightning. “On the race track!”