• Published 20th Nov 2011
  • 1,450 Views, 13 Comments

The Doc - GTBBrony



Becoming a doctor is tough, especially if you've been taken as a pupil of Princess Celestia.

  • ...
1
 13
 1,450

Chapter Two: Admittance

Wow, I didn't think you'd come in this early. I swear, you only come to this clinic to hear these long winded stories of mine, rather than actually getting your internship hours. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying that we still got work to do around here.

Alright alright, since you did come in early, I'll tell you more of my story. Now, where was I? Oh yeah, I remember…

_________________________________________________

As the princess began to open the door to the room, that sly old professor of mine fell through the doorway face first at Celestia’s feet. Acting as if nothing happened, he jumps back up and brushes the dust off his gray and black checkered sweatervest.

“So sorry to have interrupted your little parting here, but I just swung by to see how my little student is doing, you didn’t frazzle him too much did you princess?”

“I wouldn’t dream of it professor, but you’ll be happy to know… well… why don’t you tell him Doc?

“CAN YOU BELIEVE IT DOC?!” I stated to my beloved professor as I hopped like a little school-filly.

“Can I believe what son? I swear if I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand and one times, start from the beginning!”

“I’m the princess’s new pupil professor! Can you believe it? Finally my dream came true! I gotta tell everypony!” As I started to hop away trying to find anyone I could in the immediate vicinity to spill the beans, I left the professor and princess to have a little time for themselves to catch up on things since they last met. After trotting down the hall and eventually finding a very scared mare with horned rimmed glasses to announce my new living arraignments, I began to think who I should tell next. The first thought that came to mind was to tell the family, but since my parents had died a few years back in a carriage accident, and I had no other living relatives to speak of, so that option was quickly dismissed. Friends were next on the list, but since both of my best buds lived back home, I doubted I could tell them the good news in person.

I’ll just send them a letter later and make sure to see them sometime soon. Hmm, I guess the only other friend I can think of would be Derpy, but we haven’t on the best of terms since the last time I tried to apologize to her for when she gave me a muffin for my birthday. It wasn’t my fault though! What kind of mailmare leaves a muffin in a mailbox thinking I would get it? I’m a college student for Celestia’s sake, the only mail I get is credit card offers and bills for loans I can’t pay back. Not much motivation to check the mailbox every morning, but boy was she mad when she found out the next day.
Continuing the lazy trot back to the room to pack my things, I just so happened across a grey little pegasus haphazardly trying to shove more mail into my already overstuffed mailbox.

“Well speak of the devil, having a little problem there Derpy?”
Instantly turning her head towards me, she then pushes the envelopes into my face and resigns to stare at the ground with the most amount of focus I’ve ever seen from her. Well, at least she gave up on forcing more mail in there.

“C’mon now Derpy, I haven’t seen ya in a while. When I do see ya, you usually fly off before I even have a chance to talk to ya.”

She looks at me for a second with those wall-eyes of hers, before giving up to stare at the ground again to watch herself shuffle her front hoof against the dirt. She never was much the talker.

“If I said it once, I’ll say it a thousand times, I’m sorry for leaving that muffin outside all day. Can you forgive me?”

“I’m not the devil.” Yes! She’s finally talking! “Neither am I irate that you left it outside all day.”

“Really?”

“I was distressed that you did not get to enjoy it. I… uhhh.” Blushing while she zones out, before picking up the intensity of the staring contest directed at the grass. That poor, poor grass. “I spent the night before making you a whole batch for your birthday. Yet when Dinky and I had accidentally gotten into them that morning…Well, there was only one left. If only we didn’t engorge ourselves on them, then I could have given you…”

“Ditzy!” She looked up at me with those watery amber eyes of hers as I try my darndest to pick her up out of that shame spiral.

“It’s ok, I’m not mad or nuthin’. It’s the thought that counts! In fact, I’m flattered that you would spend the whole night cooking for me.”

“Are you...sure?”

“Of course. Besides, I’m a cupcake colt myself.”

“Hmph, well… as long as I breathe, you will never receive a cupcake from me.”

“I’ll accept that muffin with pride then. Next time though, please don’t put it in the mailbox. I still can’t get the smell of stale muffins out of there.”

“So that’s what that stench was. Usually, muffins don’t last long enough in my household to go stale. Anyways, will I stumble upon you tomorrow then Doc?” She asks me with her eyes starting to divert themselves from their focus point.

“Actually, I’m moving to the castle today. Which reminds me, can I get you to deliver something to the castle tomorrow for me?”

“Well, it is my job.” Speaking through a full on wall eyed smirk.

“I’ll take that as a yes then Ms. Sarcastic. Wait right here.”
___________________________________________________________

As my little dumbfounded self trotted through the lovely and heavily overgrown castle courtyard with one of the rulers of Equestia , I began to feel as if I had maybe made the wrong decision. (You know that feeling when your’re walking through a beautiful garden, only to question why someone like you is there in the first place? Yeah, I hate that feeling too.)

Maybe I should have never agreed to meet the princess (Darn you Prof. W.Bottom!)

Maybe I should just run like hell. She’d never catch me if I hid in the Everfree Forest, Right?!

Come on brain, she’d never let go of her new toy that easily! Aren’t you supposed to be the smart one in this relationship? Wait... why does she even want me in the first place? I’m not extraordinary. I'm a huge procrastinator, my magic sucks, and my medicine is seen by most as being 'crude,' at best. So why does she want ME as her pupil?

As this internal dialogue raged inside my head, I failed to see the princess stop dead in her tracks a while back. As I was staring into the ground with enough force to cause an earthquake, as I’m sure her other pupil can do without a second thought, I slammed my head into the hard metal bars of the steel gate.

With the excruciating pain that usually accompanies ramming your skull into a hard metal gate, I looked up to rub my sore horn with my hoof. As I glanced up, I immediately was in awe of the craftsmanship of this intricately carved gray and gold castle that stood before me. Incredible ponies that had changed the fate of Equestia were crafted into the sides of the gargantuan palace, yet don’t you worry your pretty little head, the two main alicorns that controlled the whole place were engraved into the front of the castle, in all their majesticness.

While looking up at the structure that towered far above me, I failed to notice the ten or so palace guards pointing their razor-sharp instruments of war directly towards my already bruised face. Their eyes peered out from under their helmets, ready to tear me a new one should I be deemed a threat to her majesty. Luckily, the princess magic’d me away from them and to her side, just in the nick of time.

“Whatcha’ thinkin’ ‘bout?” she asks me.

Yeah, don’t make fun of a southern drawl if you can’t do it right. Clearly there’s too many missing letters there, it’s like you’re trying too hard, ya gotta let it flow naturally.

“Now’s not th-the time Princess! Please tell ‘em I’m wi-with you, and to stop pointing their… pointy things at me”

“That’s quite enough guards, thank you for the help.”

As they put away their weapons, I stand on my hind hooves and throw open my arms. “Now what’re you gonna do big ponies?”

“So it seems it requires somewhat of a…”

“What’re you talking about?” I ask

“I can tell you later, once I figure it out more myself.” That’s Celestia for you, always keeping a pony in the dark.

As we began to trot through the main gates and into the courtyard, I decided, that it wasn’t worth it to me anymore to fight her about whatever she was planning. Besides, she seemed like the type of alicorn to not tell anypony... well... anything until she deemed it appropriate to do so. “Fine, just take me wherever it was you wanted to take me.”

“Cheer up my little pony! I’m sure you’ll love it here. I think you’ll find it a more than appropriate and conducive learning environment than that cheap, worn-down apartment you had.”

“Hey! It had character!”

“I’m sure it did,” She mocks. “Besides, you’ll be living with two lovely princesses, two lovely princesses who just happen to rule over all of Equestria. Think of how many colts would jump at the opportunity I’m giving you," She snickers.

“It’s an opportunity alright,” I reply. “I’m forced to live with an old-as-hay alicorn who loves to make trouble for me, and another who I haven’t even met yet. Yet, from what you’ve told me, she doesn't seem like she’ll be the spitting image of 'hospitality'."

"Don't worry Doc, I'm sure she'll get used to having you around sometime."

Snickering to no end, Celestia finally gives up on tormenting poor ‘lil me as we trot through the well-decorated and emblazoned palace doors.

“Ok” Celestia begins to speak, trying her best to be serious around me. “First, I want to introduce you to Luna. Since it is almost dusk, she should already be awake and ready to raise the moon. If not, she’ll get the royal wake-up treatment. This will also happen to you too, if one of us happens to catch you sleeping in,” She smiles at me maliciously.

“Yeah yeah, I’m scared. Where will I be sleeping?”

“Don’t worry, I will not place you in Twilight’s old room. There are plenty of other rooms to choose from here in this large castle. As for now, I will place you in a room located on a less frequented hallway. So you may study without interference and can keep some privacy that I hear colts your age need. Although, you can always move to another room if you so wish, and what a coincidence! There just so happens to be a occupancy open right next to your favorite princess,” Again, smiling mischievously down at me.

Doesn’t she know I have feelings as well? All a bully like her just wants is a response from their victim, and I shouldn’t, NEIGH! I will not give it to her.

“Oh great! There’s a room beside Luna? Why didn’t you tell me before?”

Hah! Burned her haystacks! Ahhh buck me, I’m pathetic. Sorry brain, I am a complete and utter disappointment to you.

Seemingly able to read my mind, she spreads those large wings of hers and begins to laugh uncontrollably. It was the kind of laughter that seems to be infectious, much like how a snorting mare can make a seemingly average joke into one that has the whole room on the floor. Her laughing had me laughing, and my laughing had the stick-in-the-mud guards laughing.

Sadly, all things have to come to an end, and this end came with a main course of no oxygen supply with a side of severe abdominal distress. As I lay down on the floor weeping over my latest defeat handed to me from the princess, I was greeted by a midnight blue alicorn who seemed to have the tell-tale signs of just having woken up from a good powernap. Being a college student, I’m the expert when it comes to identifying a good powernap when I saw one.

“Hello, my name is Princess Luna, what thine is yours colt?”

I bow respectfully before her.“Why can’t it ever do that for me?” Celestia adds.

“She seems to act more like a royal princess, not a tormentor like the one who raises the Sun. I’d rather you just call me D-Doc, if you would be so kind your highness. I’m Celestia’s new pupil.”

Why dost thou speakest so informally around my sister? She should be given the same respect as thou showest to us and nothing less.” She vehemently stares at me.

Well, if that glare wouldn’t turn my brain into hyperdrive, I wouldn’t know what could. So as I began to feel this unfamilliar flow of confidence take hold, I stood up from my bowing position and began chose my next words carefully.

“I respect Celestia a great deal Princess Luna, I just tend to show it in different ways. ‘sides, don’t let her lie to you, she loves the attention. I would take a guess that you know that just as much as I do.”

Continuing to glare down at this strange pony before her, embedding as much hate as she could into the strange colt, Luna stormed off to perform her nightly duties.

Coming back to my senses, I ask myself, Oh hay… what have I done?

Celestia looks away from me (probably to avoid me seeing her snickering) and after a moment; she says “That went as well as I would have expected.”

“Sometimes, I wish you were wrong.”

“Now Doc, cheer up! I’m starting to hate that phrase right about now. I’m sure things will work themselves out in the morning. Besides, I still need to show you your living quarters. Guards, take him to the east wing, hall seven. He can choose any room he wants.”

She smiles at me “Although I suggest the room at the end, it has a spectacular view of Canterlot with a somewhat large balcony. I’m sure you will make great use of it.” She says, before leaving to go see what was in store for dinner that night.

I bucking love balconies! How does she know these things? The guard pony began to lead me down the many corridors of the castle, while I made sure to find landmarks so I could navigate my way back to main hall. Finally we reach the room in which Celestia had suggested, and it was… beautiful. It was a somewhat convex loft style room, with plenty of furniture and rugging to make the place feel homey and comfortable. While being somewhat dark during the night, the sunroof in the center of the room would allow plenty of natural lighting during the day. There also stood a fireplace in the middle of the room, surrounded by a half couch ring facing the back of the space. After taking in the sights of my new room, I started to wonder where that suggested balcony was. I began to trot over to the end of the room, sliding open the glass paneled doors that revealed a large wooden balcony with three large wooden lay-back chairs. The same chairs you would find at any Amish pony store. Have you ever been to one of their stores? Trust me, you’ll never leave that place without at least considering relinquishing a tidy sum of your bits for a few of their lawn chairs. While I admired the aspects of my new room, the guard pony left without saying a word. Luckily I caught up to pony and was able to thank him properly.
“Thank you sir.”

“You’re welcome, but you should probably know I’m a mare.”

I just stared at the guard, confused from the declaration. FINISH HIM

“Considering the population distribution of most pony towns is close to 70% females to 30% males, I suggest you assume the same of the royal guard population.”

“So… you’re saying that I’m pretty much surrounded by mares in this castle that could kick my flank all the way up and down these empty hallways?”

“Pretty much sir, and considering you just pissed off half of the royal guard from upsetting Princess Luna earlier, and the other half from disrespecting Princess Celestia with your obnoxious jokes. Just… look, I'm trying to be nice you and let you know all this beforehand, but with all due respect, you’re screwed sir.”

“Do you at least like me?”

And without answering, the pony continued her march down the hallway. Looking once more out the balcony, I begin to walk out of the room myself. Might as well see what’s for dinner.