• Published 24th Nov 2015
  • 1,481 Views, 84 Comments

Star Trek: I'm Coming Home - Aceman67



With Equus entering a golden age where nearly every need is met, many of the world's inhabitants are looking to the stars & the vast universe beyond it. One such pony is Zoe, a bright, talented & fiercely loyal unicorn whose destiny may be out there.

  • ...
7
 84
 1,481

Chapter 8 - Duty & Choice

Author's Note:

Time Line Update: 12 years have passed since Chapter one, making it now the year 2410.

I don't have an editor, which is why there's little mistakes here and there, if you want to help out with this story, please drop me a PM and we can discuss details. You also get to read the story first (after I let my GF have a read that is...).

For those of you who read this chapter as it was originally published, search for "2412" to skip to the new additions to the chapter.

Second part has not had an editing pass, please forgive any errors.

Winter - 2410

“The weather here is always pleasant,” Commander Aamed Madison said as he looked out the window of the train call. “Your weather teams seem to be on their game.”

“You’re not going to ask how they do it, are you?” Zoe asked, hoping he would let it slide.

“No, I know that it's done through what your species call ‘magic’, something that we’ve yet to explain scientifically,” Madison said with a slight smile.

Commander Madison seemed like a decent enough person, friendly, congenial, but his eyes, pitch black circles, set her on edge. Remembering the lessons her father gave her, Zoe kept her thoughts and feelings level, just in case she was right.

“Although, there are some theories that are interesting,”

“Oh?” Zoe said, her ears flipping towards the Commander, the lifelong student of magic in her showing keen interest.

“None of our instruments can even detect anything from the magic that you Unicorns are capable of doing, so they’re just theories, two of them in fact,” Madison explained. “The first being that every species on this planet that shows anything akin to ‘magic’ are mortal offshoots of the Q.”

“The Queue?” Zoe asked, sounding totally confused.

“The ‘Q’,” Madison answered. “Just the letter. They’re a race of omnipotent immortal beings with ego’s to match. Several Starfleet crews have had run-ins with them in the past.” He continued. “That theory hasn’t been looked on as having much merit. The second one is the most plausible.

“The current explanation about the universe, how it formed, what its made up of etc. only accounts for roughly five percent of its total makeup. The various forces in the universe, gravity, time and so on, all of it shouldn't be possible with everything that we can see and detect being the sole makeup of the universe, so its postulated that about twenty-seven percent is dark matter, something that we’ve been able to prove the existence of.”

“Yeah, that’s what happened to my father when he crashed here. It also had a hand in creating his quantum duplicate.” Zoe added.

“Exactly, but what about the other sixty-eight percent? The only explanation we have is that its dark energy. We’ve never been able to detect it by directly observing it or by observing its absence.” Madison continued. “Dark-energy manipulation, that is what is thought to be the explanation for your species’ abilities. But I’m no scientist, so I can’t go into detail.”

“It certainly is a solid theory,” Zoe said thinking on the matter, only to be interrupted by a stewardess passing by and offering the two of them tea. Taking the cup in her magic, Zoe turned back to the Commander. “Why is Starfleet sending an observer to the academy?”

“Equus is applying for affiliate status with the Federation, one of the many steps to eventually joining the Federation as a member world. It’s a long process that takes years, sometimes decades. I’m being sent to observe your planets various militaries and their training methods.”

“That only half answers my question,” Zoe said, taking a sip from her cup.

“When a society joins the federation, its standing military is absorbed into Starfleet, by observing their training methods, we can formulate what kind of additional training would be needed to facilitate that transition.”

“My father didn’t tell me about that,” Zoe said.

“The World Parliament made the application shortly after the Station incident,” Madison told her. “It’s taken until now to start the formal application review process.”

Zoe nodded in response but didn’t say anything as she looked out the window.

“Sorry,” Madison said.

“What?”

“For bringing it up.” He explained. “Commander Dash sounded like the kind of person I would have liked to serve with.”

“Same here,” Zoe said with sorrow in her voice.


“I would like to introduce Commander Aamed Madison of Starfleet,” Spitfire said addressing every cadet inside the Academy’s main auditorium. “He’ll be here for the rest of the semester to observe our training practices. You are now not only Equestria’s best and brightest, but it’s representatives as well. I fully expect all of you to put forth your best while you train here, which means business as usual” She finished, then turned to the Commander. “Commander Madison,”

“Thank you, Commandant,” He said. “I’m Commander Aamed Madison. I’m a training officer from Starfleet Academy where I teach command duty and ethics as well as hand-to-hand combat.” He continued, walking over to the stage’s edge and sitting down with his legs dangling over the edge. “The reason I’m here is that your world’s government has applied for affiliate status with the United Federation of Planets,” Madison explained, pausing to address a raised hoof. “Ah, good, questions, go ahead.”

“Cadet Strong Back, sir.” The large earth pony said introducing himself. “I’ve only ever heard of the federation in passing on the news, what is it?”

“Good question,” Madison said. “The United Federation of Planets is a political, economic and military alliance consisting of one hundred and sixty-eight member states with a population of nine point nine trillion sentient lifeforms.” He explained, pausing to gauging his audience’s reaction. “You’re world-view just got a whole lot bigger, didn’t it?” he said, remarking on the silence that took over the room. “Totally understandable given your planet’s unique location. Next question,”

“Cadet Fleet Feather, sir. Why do you need to observe the training here?” A pegasus in the back asked

“The application is a long process and is a necessary step required for eventual membership within the Federation. Part of that process is the observation of the prospective applicant’s military’s training practices and how they function.” Madison continued. “When a society is admitted into the Federation, its standing military is absorbed into Starfleet, the observation that is done beforehand allows us to prepare for any supplementary training that would be required when that happens.

“Why are we only hearing about this now?” Fleet Feather asked.

“It’s my understanding that your government is making an announcement about it as we speak, and since affiliate status is only equivalent to formal diplomatic relations and doesn’t require a referendum under your constitution, which is why it hasn’t been announced before now.”

“Unlike actually joining the Federation, which would require a vote”

“Exactly, joining the Federation does require the populace as a whole to vote on the matter. In fact, a three-fourths majority vote in favour is required for admittance under the Articles of the Federation.”

“Cadet Scott, sir. Considering the Federation’s policy and Starfleet’s Prime Directive regarding making contact with pre-warp civilisations, why is the Federation even considering affiliate status given that we haven’t even constructed a starship capable of interstellar travel?”

Madison smiled at the question. James did warn me, he thought. “Excellent question, it is true that the Federation, and by extension, Starfleet, by policy does not make contact with civilisations that have not attained the ability to travel faster than the speed of light.” He explained. This revelation elicited a few gasps. “But Equus is a special case, given the unintentional nature of the first contact made by your Father, Cadet.”

“But why don’t you make contact with pre-warp civilisations?” Cadet Strong Back asked.

“To prevent interfering with the natural progression of a planet’s culture. Premature contact is generally disastrous. The knowledge that they’re not alone in the universe before they’re ready to take part in it can have negative effects on their culture. Obtaining advanced technology that they didn’t develop themselves can lead to its use for war.

“But as I said, Equus is a special case. Knowledge of not being alone in the cosmos had a unifying effect on your world. In the space of two decades your world united and then developed space travel, and with the help of the Ferengi scientist Dr Nell, you’re well on your way to developing a warp-drive of your own.”

“You said that advanced technology could be used for war, but what if it’s not, wouldn’t that be ok?” Strong Back asked.

“In an ideal world, yes, but that’s a kind of world that doesn’t exist, I’m afraid. Let me give you an example.” Madison answered. “Three hundred and forty-three years ago, twenty sixty-seven by Earth’s calendar, a hundred years before the birth of the Federation, United Earth sent out a deep space probe called Friendship One with warp technology and all the knowledge on how to make such a device. It travelled through the galaxy undisturbed for over three hundred years.

“Unknown to its creators, it wound up in the Delta Quadrant, some sixty thousand light years away from Earth, where it landed on a planet called Uxal. The Uxali people learned about antimatter, essential to warp technology, and applied it to their planet's power grid. But they lacked the technological expertise to utilise it safely, and accidental release of antimatter caused a planet-wide nuclear winter and contaminated the surface with antimatter radiation. A probe, sent out with the best of intentions, lead to the near destruction of an entire people.”

“OK, makes sense.” Strong Back said in response.

“Cadet North Wind, sir. Silly question, but are you, Human? I’ve never met one before.”

“Cadet, one piece of advice: There are no silly questions, only silly answers. The pursuit of knowledge is never ‘silly’ and should be commended. To answer your question, yes and no.”

“Yes and no?” North Wind said in confusion. “What do you mean by that?”

“Cadet Scott, I know you noticed on our train ride to Canterlot, care to explain?”

“I wasn’t entirely sure then, but judging by your black pupils, I’d say you’re Betazoid, but your answer gives me a reason to think that you’re only half Betazoid and that you’re part human.”

“Correct. My mother was Betazoid, my father was from Earth. While my species does closely resemble Humans save for our black eyes, we are quite different.”

“How so?” North Wind asked.

“Betazoids are naturally telepathic. The strongest of my species can read the thoughts of others, but most are empathic, being able to sense the emotional state of others.” He answered. A low murmur of concern flittered through the crowd. “Being half human, I’m somewhere in the middle of being empathic. If someone is close enough to me, I can gauge their emotional state and tell if they’re lying.” He explained, putting most of them at ease. “Next question,”

“I have one, Commander,” Spitfire asked. “Since this is taking up the ethics class this morning, I thought you could explain how Starfleet teaches duty and ethics to its prospective officers.”

“Certainly, Commandant,” Madison said. “Cadet North Wind, hypothetical question for you. You’re a city guard here in Canterlot, what would you say is your first duty?”

“That’s easy, public safety and rule of law, sir.”

“Good, Cadet Strong Back, you're a Captain of an Equestrian Navel Vessel, aside from your ship’s mission, what is your first duty as Captain of that ship?”

“Uhh, my crew I guess.” The earth pony answered, unsure of himself.

“Incorrect, Cadet,” Spitfire said.

“I concur with your Commandant,” Madison said. “A captain's first duty, mission permitting, is to the safety of the ship he or she commands. All of you here are training to be officers in the Royal Guard, which means when you graduate you will be given the command of others. You will be responsible for leading them, for their safety.

“But as an officer, some of you will be faced with a situation where you have to take into consideration the greater good. You might even have to give an order that will lead to the death of one of those under your command.”

The silence in the auditorium was so profound that you could hear a pin drop.

“I’m going to share a personal story,” Madison continued. “Twelve years ago, I was a Lieutenant Commander and Chief Engineer on a Galaxy-Class starship. I was responsible for the maintenance and repair of a starship that housed one thousand and eighteen officers and crew, and eighty-two civilians, including children.

“We were on patrol in an area that piracy had been reported, and we were tasked with hunting them down. They found us first and launched a surprise attack. Our shields were failing due to damage to an electro plasma conduit near a breach in the hull. I sent a damage control team to fix it, and they reported back to me that the area was flooded with radiation that came from the attackers torpedoes.

“I had to make a split-second decision. That conduit had to be repaired or the ship would be destroyed. So I ordered one of the engineers to repair the conduit.”

“But that would have killed the engineer,” a cadet said, not bothering to introduce herself.

“It did kill him. His name was Sokek. He was a fifty-four-year-old Vulcan, his wife’s name is S’pel, their daughter’s name is T’vo. I won’t ever forget their names because my order sent him to his death. But he saved the ship and we were able to complete our mission.”

“I… I don’t know if I could do that.” The cadet said.

“I can tell from here that you’re troubled, what’s your name, Cadet?”

“Fair Winds, sir.”

“Well, it’s something that you’ll have to come to terms with if you’re going to be an officer. I can tell you that right up until that moment, I wasn’t sure if I could give an order like that until I was faced with having to do it. The only thing I can say is to trust in your training. Do that, and everything else should fall into place.”

Turning to her friend, Zoe looked at Fair Wind’s expression of uncertainty and wondered if she could do it too.


One week later...

“Alright, foals, fall in!” Black Heart ordered as he stepped up to the edge of the sparring mat. “We have a special guest today to our dance studio. Commander Madison has graciously offered to spar with us. Let's show him how we fight hoof-to-hoof in the Royal Guard.”

“Thank you, Sergeant,” Madison said straightening the wrist strap on his sparring gloves.

“Cadet Scott, you’re up first.” Dark Heart ordered.

Zoe stepped up to the center of the mat, with Madison doing the same. He made a show to bow, so Zoe gave him a nod then took a ready stance, lowering her head and tensing her legs, ready to charge at him.

Madison simply took a loose stance that looked a lot like one of the ones from the old martial arts movies Zoe used to watch with her father. He smiled at her and gestured that he was ready.

Zoe made the first move and started to charge, and so did Madison. When she got a couple steps away from him, she stopped on her forelegs, throwing her momentum into a spin so she could buck him in the chest, but he was nowhere to be found.

Unseen by Zoe, Madison had dropped to his knees and slid in between her legs and landed a jab to her gut, knocking the air out of her.

Falling to the ground, she gasped for breath for a few moments.

“Get up Cadet!” Black Heart ordered.

Getting up, Zoe seethed. She wouldn’t be knocked down again.

Stepping up to the middle of the mat again, this time, Zoe waited for Madison to charge at her.

He made a move to throw himself into a spin kick, but Zoe dodged to the side and reared up on her hind legs and brought her forelegs to bear on his shoulders, forcefully pushing him to the mat with her greater weight.

Keeping one hoof on his shoulder, she raised the other, poised to land a strike to his throat.

“Nice,” Madison groaned as Zoe stepped off of him, using her magic to help him to his feet.


Hearths Warming Eve

“How are things going at the Academy?” Sapphire asked as she leant against Zoe, feeling her warmth through her dress’ overcoat.

The two ponies sat outside the Royal Guard Veterans hall, quietly enjoying the soft falling snow and brilliant full moon above them illuminating everything. The sound’s of the dance inside continued to echo through the night.

“Good, I think I’m passing my classes, Dark Heart is still being Dark Heart,” Zoe told her. “We have a Starfleet officer observing things as part of the affiliate evaluation.”

“What’s he like?”

“He’s alright. Knows his stuff.” Zoe said, shifting her jaw, the stinging pain from the jab he landed in sparring the other day still present.

“That’s the second time you’ve done that, what’s wrong?”

“Oh, nothing. Madison, the Starfleet officer, landed a good punch during sparring practice the other day.

A look of concern came over Sapphire’s face as she placed a hoof gently against Zoe’s cheek.

“That’s quite the bruise!” Sapphire exclaimed.

“It’s nothing,” Zoe reassured her.

“Nothing my plot.” She huffed.

Taking a small bit of snow in her magic, she placed it against Zoe’s cheek, the soothing cold helping to alleviate the pain.

Sapphire watched as the snow slowly melted against Zoe’s coat, careful to use her magic to keep the dripping water from falling on her dress uniform. Zoe just looked into her eyes and smiled.

It was Sapphire that moved in for a kiss first which wasn’t refused. When they parted, both unicorns were content to sit in the silence of the winter night with nothing but the moon for company.


Spring 2412
Manehatten

“Seriously, who’s plot did you have to kiss to get assigned to me?” Scootaloo griped as Zoe and her walked down the sidewalk of one of the Manehatten’s residential districts.

“What?” Zoe said in surprise at the question. “You and I both know the assignment process is totally random.”

“I know, I know,” Scootaloo said as she stopped at a corner and placed a hoof on her forehead. “OK, let's get a few things out of the way here, so listen carefully.

“I’m your evaluator, you may outrank me when you graduate later this year, but right now, I’m your sergeant, you’re my officer candidate. Your job right now is to follow me, do what I say and keep your eyes open and observe. No amount of academy training can prepare you for what this job can throw at you. You’re here to learn exactly how to do your job.

“That being said, Manehatten isn’t the friendliest of cities, this isn’t Ponyville. This isn’t Canterlot. There are twelve point six million ponies, griffons, diamond dogs, and zebras living here. Not all of them get along. My precinct just this last week had to deal with a double homicide and a foalnapping.

“My job is to teach you, and above all, make sure you have the skills to keep you alive when you actually put on a guard’s uniform. Got it?”

Zoe had never seen this side of Scootaloo before. The serious look on her face, the tall proud way she carried herself, and the fire in her eyes when she was lecturing her.

“Yes, ma’am,” Zoe said snapping to attention.

“Don’t ‘ma’am’ me, Cadet, I work for a living,” Scootaloo said sharply.

“Yes, Sergeant.” Zoe said with a smile, getting a grin from the older mare.

“Come on, I need some coffee,” Scootaloo said as she started to cross the street with Zoe following close behind. “I know a good place couple blocks from here.”

“How’s Diamond doing?” Zoe asked when she caught up with the pegasus.

“Could be better, to be honest.” Scootaloo said flatly. “Lots of stress at work. Her board of directors is giving her a hard time about her decision to expand the company overseas to Zebraca,”

“Can they do anything to stop her?” Zoe asked.

“Not really, they don’t have enough control in the company. She has her father’s twenty-six percent share, her mother has her twenty-five percent, and is contractually obligated to back up her daughter.” Scootaloo explained. “Filthy stipulated that in his will when he left control of the company to Diamond.”

“Sounds like they’re just a bunch of blow-hards.” Zoe remarked, getting a chuckle out of her partner.

“That’s what I told her!” Scootaloo said with a genuine smile. “If everything goes our way, though, her mood should improve by the end of next week.”

“What’s going on?”

“We’re nearing the end of a long adoption process.” She answered with an ear to ear grin.

“What!” Zoe exclaimed. “That’s great!”

Scootaloo just beamed. There’s the Scootaloo I know, Zoe thought just as they walked up to the coffee shop Scootaloo had mentioned where she took a seat at one of the tables out front.

“Dispatch, S84, we’re code 7 at 6482 Trotway,“ Scootaloo said into her comm crystal, reporting that they were on a meal break. “Yeah, we’re adopting a little pegasus colt.” Scootaloo told her, taking a picture out of her uniform pocket.

In it was Diamond Tiara nose to nose with a blue colt, who couldn’t be any older than four, wrapped in a grey blanket. Both of them had smiles.

“His name is Stratos,” Scootaloo told her when she took the photo back, pausing for a moment to smile.

“Hey, Scoots!” A gruff voice called out. Turning to its source, Zoe was greeted by a tall pegasus stallion with an alabaster coat. The most striking feature he had though was a nasty pink scar that marred his right eye which had long since scarred shut. He was also missing his right wing. “Training some more fresh meat for the grinder are ya?”

“Hey, show some respect, you’re talking about a future officer here,” Scootaloo said, not even bothering to hide her sarcasm.

“Oh, my apologies,” The stallion said with a wicked grin. “Let me go in the back and see if I have any bucks left to give.” He continued before breaking out into a hearty belly laugh. “Coffee, two sugars for you Scoots?” He asked, getting a nod. “And you, Ma’am?”

“Herbal tea?” Zoe requested.

“Ooo… Officer and a miss fancy pants.” He mocked. “Coming right up. Name’s Steel Feather, by the way.” He told Zoe as he walked inside the shop.

“What’s his story?” Zoe asked.

“About nine years before you were born, he was a guard at the Equestrian Embassy in Zebraca. A tribe of diamond dogs attacked in the middle of the night.” Scootaloo explained. “It was a bloodbath, the ambassador was killed, along with some of the embassy staff. Steel got the survivors out to a safe house while they burned the embassy to the ground.”

“Buckers took my eye and my wing, but we gave just as good as we took.” Steel Feather said as he returned with their drinks.

“That you did,” Scootaloo said as she took a sip of her coffee. “Excellent as always, you old coot.”

“The tea is delicious,” Zoe told him.

“Ah, shucks, you’re almost making me regret being rude to ya.” He said, scratching the back of his head with his left wing. “Almost. Enjoy your drinks, ladies.” Steel Feather said as he walked back inside, but stopped at the door. “Oh, Zoe? You are Zoe, right? Tell that daughter of mine, Fleet Feather, to write her Dad once and while, ya?” He asked, then walked inside.

“How’d he know my name?”

“She used to write him regularly when she first went into the academy, but suddenly stopped right around the time he had a big fight with his ex-wife.” Scootaloo said.

“He just tells you these things?”

“He makes good coffee, and he’s a retired guard. If he wants to vent, I’m going to lend an ear.” Scootaloo said as she finished her cup right when Zoe finished hers. “Come on, we’re burning daylight.”

“OK, I got this.” Zoe said, pulling out her coin purse from her uniform pocket and started for the shop doors. Scootaloo started to say something to stop her, but stopped and just smiled.

“She’ll find out, I guess.”

Zoe walked into the coffee shop and took a quick look around. The place was immaculate. Everything from the tables to the floor had a shine to it, clean as a whistle. Most of the tables inside were empty, but there were a few patrons.

“Something else I can get you?” Steel Feather called out from behind the counter that he was wiping down with a cloth.

“Just paying for the drinks.” Zoe said, placing several bits on the counter.

“No thanks.”

“Pardon?”

“Ya deaf? I said no thanks.” Steel Feather reiterated. “Your bits aren’t good here.” He told her, making a move to push them back, but was unable too because Zoe held them in place with her magic.

“Oh, Steely, give the mare a break, she’s obviously new.” One of the customers called out from her table, an elderly unicorn mare.

“Fine,” Steel Feather sighed, then pointed up to the sign that hung below the menu board with his left wing.

Guards, Firefighters, Medics do not pay for the following: Drinks, Bagels, Muffins & After-Shift Meals.
~Thank You For Your Service~

After reading the sign, Zoe still pushed the bits forward.

“What, the sign doesn’t say anything about tipping.” She said, giving a wink. “Thank you for your service.” Zoe said, then walked out the door, leaving Steel Feather speechless.

“Would you look at that, she made him cry.” The same old unicorn said in jest.

“Shut it, hag.”

“Yeah, yeah. Can I get a refill?” She asked.

“Coming right up.” Steel Feather said with a smile.


The next few hours had been uneventful apart from the rescue of a filly’s kitten that had gotten itself stuck on a fire escape. Zoe got her nose clawed for her trouble.

“No good deed goes unpunished,” Scootaloo had said.

To pass the time, and mostly just to prevent Scootaloo from asking her any questions, Zoe kept her talking about Stratos, a subject that she was all too happy to talk about.

The little guy was taken into the city’s Foal Family Services after he was found during a drug raid that Scootaloo had taken part in. He was found hiding under the stairs, malnourished and dirty.

It took Scootaloo almost a half hour to coax him out, and when she did, he latched onto her and wouldn’t let go.

What worried her the most though was that he wouldn’t say a word. The guards couldn’t get his name from him, and none of those arrested in the raid even knew he was in the house, much less had any info on the colt. For several days after he was dropped off at the orphanage, Scootaloo had to be called in to calm him down at night.

One night a month ago, just as she was leaving after getting him into bed, the little guy called out her name. After that, they couldn’t shut him up. He told them his name, where he lived, everything.

When Scootaloo checked up on where he said he lived, she was shocked to see that it was in one of the city’s slum districts. To say it was a shanty town would be putting it lightly. Showing his picture around the neighbourhood, she was able to find where his mother lived but found it empty. Shocking more still, the pony that lived next door said that medics had taken a corpse out of there a couple weeks ago. Stratos was never reported missing, no paperwork was filed. Textbook case of falling through the cracks.

Even though it was highly unorthodox, Scootaloo and Diamond applied to adopt him, with the final court date to finalise the whole thing being scheduled next week.

“Seriously, can’t wait.” Scootaloo said with a smile but had it cut short.

”S84, Dispatch, what’s your 20?” A mare's voice called out from their comm crystals.

Zoe looked at Scootaloo for direction, but she glared back.

“Don’t look at me, tell the mare our location.”

“Dispatch, S84, we’re on,” Zoe started after activating her comm crystal, then looked for the street sign. “Trotway and 76th,”

“S84, we have multiple 10-66 on Trotway and 84th, possible code purple, respond forthwith.”

“10-4, Dispatch, S84 responding.” Zoe said, closing the channel, then started down the street.

“So, what are we responding too?” Scootaloo asked.

“A 10-66 means suspicious subjects, code purple is gang activity.”

“Very good. Now, follow my lead, let me do the talking, don’t do anything stupid.” Scootaloo instructed.

The two of them quickly headed down the sidewalk then slowed as they reached their destination. Sitting on the stoop of an apartment complex about forty feet away were several ponies and two diamond dogs, all wearing something coloured red.

“Hows everything going this afternoon,” Scootaloo asked, fearlessly.

“It’s the guard!” One of them called out, and they scattered, one pegasus flew off while the rest fled on foot except a large earth pony and one of the diamond dogs, who pulled something from behind his back.

“Crossbow!” Scootaloo yelled, pushing Zoe out of the way and behind a parked carriage as a bolt zipped past them and embedded itself in a tree. “S84, 10-71, shots fired, shots fired!”

Peaking out from behind the carriage, Scootaloo quickly dove back in place as a bolt zipped past where her head had just been, but she smiled when she heard an audible twang.

“His string snapped, you take the diamond dog, I got the big one.” Scootaloo told her, then took to the air.

Diving out from behind the carriage, Zoe started galloping down the sidewalk towards her mark who now wore a look of surprise as she popped out of existence then reappeared above him, hoof directed squarely at his head.

He dove out of the way then ran down the street. Zoe looked over at Scootaloo who was now on the earth pony’s back with his neck in a stranglehold as he tried to buck the pegasus off his back.

“I’m fine, go!”

Following her instructions, Zoe took off after the diamond dog. Teleporting ahead of him, she skidded to a stop and glared at him as he yelped then headed down an alleyway. Turning the corner after him Zoe stopped cold when she saw the dog was now standing twenty feet away with a knife in his hand. Then the ‘click-clack’ of hoofs hitting pavement filled her with fear.

A quick glance back and there was the pegasus that had flown off, with two blades of his own strapped to the center joints of his wings.

“He he he he, lookie what we got here, seems we caught ourselves a guard.” The dog cackled. “Should learn to look up horn head, ‘cause now you’re dead.”

She didn’t wait for them to make the first move, forming a solid wall of magic in front of her, she charged at the dog and collided with him, sending him to the ground. Hearing the flap of wings, Zoe instinctively kicked her back legs, smiling when they made contact but cried out in pain when one of the wing blades slashed her left flank.

Turning towards the pegasus, she picked him up in her magic and threw him hard against a brick wall. He didn’t get up. When she turned back towards the dog, she was greeted by a face of fur as he tackled her to the ground.

Knife in hand, he struggled against Zoe’s magic to drive it into her throat. The look of pure hatred in his eyes filled her with fear as the knife inched ever closer to her neck.

But with the whistle of metal flying through the air, it was all over. Lying next to Zoe was the unmoving body of the diamond dog, now with an extendable pole-arm impaling him in the back.

Letting out a sigh of relief, Zoe looked to the alleyway to see Scootaloo and two other unicorn guards. Trying to get up, she cried out in pain as her left hind leg gave out.

“Secure that pegasus, and call it in, we got an injured guard.” Scootaloo ordered. Kneeling down next to Zoe, she gave her a half smile. “Taking on two yourself; thought I told you not to do anything stupid.” She told her. “Welcome to the suck, kid.” Scootaloo said as she pulled Zoe into a hug after helping her to her hooves.


“You’re lucky, Cadet,” The doctor said as he used his magic to suture the wound on her left flank closed with a Starfleet-issued dermal regenerator. “An inch higher and he would have severed the tendon. No lasting damage thankfully, but it’ll be sore for a few days. Keep your weight off of it as much as you can.” He ordered, then floated two pieces of paper towards her. “That’s a scrip for some painkillers, you can get them from the pharmacist, the other is to restrict you to desk duty for the rest of the week, now get out of here. NEXT!”

Getting down off of the bed, Zoe limped out from behind the curtain and into the emergency room towards the triage area. There waiting for her was Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara.

“So, what’s the damage?” Scootaloo asked.

“Nothing lasting, just desk duty, and some mild painkillers,” Zoe told her, holding the paper aloft in the air.

“Sounds like fun,” Diamond remarked.

“Thank you, Cadet, I wanted to get off the street for a week,” Scootaloo growled, her annoyance loud and clear in her voice.

“Scootaloo!” Diamond admonished.

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” She said, smiling at her wife. “I’m glad you’re OK, Cadidiot.”

“For what it’s worth, so am I,” Diamond said with a smile while giving Scootaloo a sideways glance of annoyance. “So, who’s hungry.” She asked rhetorically, then turned for the door. Zoe looked at Scootaloo, who gave a shrug, and they both followed her out.


Zoe followed Diamond and Scootaloo out of the elevator in one of the tallest buildings in Manehatten. She wasn’t sure what floor she was on, but the view out of the floor to ceiling windows that encircled the open floor-plan restaurant was spectacular.

“Ah, Madam Tiara, table for three?” The hostess asked.

“Yes, thank you,” Diamond responded with grace in her voice.

The unicorn mare in a smart, professional working dress lead them through the restaurant to a table located in the corner, affording them a breathtaking view of the city below. After handing out menus, she turned to them. “Tonight’s special is Aubergine Cordon Bleu; we have also acquired a case of white wine from The White Hills vineyards in San Palomino, vintage 923.”

“Thank you, we’ll take one bottle, and please have a second added to the bill for me to take home.” Diamond said with a smile.

“Is there any other beverage that any of you would like?” She asked and got polite ‘no thank you’s’ from the three of them, so the hostess nodded, and left the three ponies to decide on their orders.

"This place..." Zoe started, expressing some hesitation while perusing the menu. "It's a little expensive, isn't it?"

"Of course, I'm not going to take a friend of the family to some greasy spoon after a day like today, am I?” Diamond said as she continued to look over her menu.

“Don’t fight her on it, just let her do her thing,” Scootaloo said, leaning in close. “This place serves a really good hayburger, get it if you want to watch her squirm,” She continued in a hushed whisper and a wicked smile. Zoe gave her a deadpan stare in return.

After several minutes, a smartly dressed unicorn waiter arrived with three wine glasses and proceeded to serve the wine.

“Are you ready to place your orders?” He asked.

“Yes, I’ll have tonight’s special, but please ask the chef not to use thyme as a seasoning, I have an allergy to it.”

“Certainly, ma’am, I’ll inform the chef personally.” He answered. “And for you miss?” He asked, turning to Zoe.

“I’ll have the same, hold the thyme as well, just in case.”

“And you?”

“I’ll take a hayb-” Scootaloo began to say but suddenly sat up straight with a shocked expression as the muffled sound of hoof meeting flesh could be heard under the table. “Same for me as well.” She said finally in a dejected tone.

“I will return with your meals when they are ready, until then, please enjoy the view.” The unicorn said as he gathered the menu’s in his magic and trotted off towards the kitchen, which was located in the center of the dining area in full view of the patrons.

“I’ve never seen a restaurant like this.” Zoe remarked as she took a sniff of her wine glass before taking a sip. Not really my thing, she thought, but it does have an interesting taste.

“It’s one of my favourite places to eat in the city.” Diamond said. “Just the right amount of class, but they’re not snooty about it.”

“I seem to remember a time that you would love to go a place that was ‘snooty’.” Scootaloo said in jest.

“That was my mother’s doing, and you know it.” She retorted. “Father hated indulging her stuffy nature, I only followed along because I was scared of her.”

“I know, hun, just teasing.”

After several minutes of polite conversation, the food arrived and the conversation turned towards Zoe.

“Are you going to be applying for a post here in Manehatten?” Diamond asked.

“So she could be my boss? I hope not,” Scootaloo said feigning seriousness but gave Zoe a wink.

“I haven’t decided, but I don’t think so.” Zoe said, taking another bite of her dinner. “Manehatten is great and all, but it’s too busy for my taste.”

“This dish is overcooked, I demand it be remade at once!” A loud voice called out from the other side of the restaurant.

Diamond Tiara froze in place at the sound, then slowly turned towards the source.

There, sitting alone at a corner table was a grey coated mare with a white and silver mane sporting horn-rimmed glasses.

Diamond slowly got to her hooves and began to slowly walk towards the other pony.

“Oh, buck, this isn’t going to be good.” Scootaloo remarked then followed her wife.

“Silver Spoon?” Diamond asked quietly.

“Yes, what do you want-- oh, it’s you.” Silver said with venom in her voice. “What are you doing in Manehatten?”

“I live here,” Diamond said, shocked at the treatment she was getting from her former childhood friend.

“Thankfully this city is big enough that I shouldn’t ever have to see you again.”

“After all these years, that’s what you have to say?”

“What more is there to say, after what your family did.”

Taken aback by what Silver just said, it took Diamond a moment to be able to speak again. “You’re still hung up on that?”

“Yes, that.” Silver spat back. “Your father cost my family a lot of bits by backing out of that business deal. Daddy felt so betrayed that we had to move away from Ponyville.”

“Silver, that was… was… almost fifteen years ago!” Diamond exclaimed, surprising herself at just how worked up she was getting. “We were fillies, we had nothing to do with what our parents did.”

“There you go again, shirking off any responsibility your family holds for what they did.” Silver Spoon continued. “Far as I know your father is still backstabbing his business deals and running his company into the ground.”

“Silver, my father died five years ago.” Diamond said, hurt coming out in her voice. “I run Wholesome Foods now.”

“Wait, what?” Silver said, her bravado instantly deflated.

“That business deal lost my family bits too, Silver, except we work for our money.” Diamond explained. “We weren’t born into wealth like your family was. Grandfather started with just a single store in Baltimare. Your family pulling all its bits out of our company nearly put us into bankruptcy. Dad put up his own bits to make up the shortfall and it almost wasn’t enough.” She continued. “It was the stress of it all that weakened his heart.”

“I had no idea,”

“You would if you picked up a financial magazine over the past few years.” Diamond told her. “But here you are, a grown mare, still holding childhood grudges and acting like a filly.”

“Diamond, Silver, please try and keep it down,” Scootaloo said, trying to calm the situation.

“What are you doing here?” Silver asked, sticking up her nose at Scootaloo. “I’m surprised they let poor ponies like you in, must be some charity case.”

“That’s enough Silver Spoon!” Diamond yelled. “Say what you want about me, my father, who ever, but you will not speak to my wife in that manner.” She commanded. “Grow up, Silver.”

With that, Diamond stormed back to her table, grabbed her purse and made for the exit. Scootaloo and Zoe stood there stunned for a moment, then did the same.

When they caught up to Diamond, she was speaking to an earth pony in a chef’s uniform.

“I really can’t apologise enough Healthy Morsel,” Diamond said. “I’m so embarrassed, please, if anypony complains, charge their meal to my account.”

“Nonsense,” the chef said. “As generous as that is, I don’t think that will be necessary.”

“Just the same,” Diamond said, getting a nod from the friendly pony.

“Here’s the bottle that you requested,” Healthy Morsel said, giving a bottle wine to Diamond. “It’s on me this time.”

“I couldn’t,”

“Please, I insist. You could have raised the rent on us when you bought the building, but you didn’t, you even gave us a sizeable discount on purchasing ingredients through your company,” He explained. “And you look like you could use a good drink after what just happened.”

“Thank you,” Diamond said. “You know it was your first impression that got you all that, right?”

“I don’t like to brag, but I know,” He responded with a smile.

“Flirting with my wife again?” Scootaloo said as she walked up.

“Only as much as she flirts with me, Scootaloo.” He responded. “Enjoy the rest of your evening.” He finished, then headed back to the kitchen.

“I can go escort her out of the building for causing a disturbance.” Scootaloo told Diamond Tiara.

She thought on that for a moment, then shook her head. “No, that’s what she would do, lets go home.” She told her.

Just before the first floor, Diamond was mortified by the growl that came from her belly.

“Steel Feather’s first?” Scootaloo offered as all three ponies stepped on the elevator.

“Why not,” Diamond responded. “Zoe, are you coming with us?”

“No, I’m done for the night.” She answered.

“You’re not going to stay at the barracks are you?” Scootaloo asked.

“Your mother would have my head if she found out that you stayed there after what happened today.” Diamond added. “Please, come stay with us.”

“Thank you for the offer, but I’m fine.” Zoe said with a smile and walked out the front door and hailed a taxi.


Zoe walked through the winding paths that connected all the student dormitories on the University Campus, taking in the beauty of the falling flower petals that rained down from the many cherry trees that lined the walkways.
Stopping at a bench located in front of the centrepiece of the campus residential block, a towering statue of the university’s founder, somepony Zoe couldn’t be bothered to remember, that stood in the center of a fountain.

“Zoe?” Somepony called out from behind her.

Turning to face the source of the voice, there stood Sapphire along side… An Alicorn? she thought. Realizing that she was still in uniform, Zoe snapped to her hooves and saluted.

“Princess.”

“Oh, for bucks sake, I get enough of that in the Empire,” Flurry Heart said rolling her eyes, but upon realizing that Zoe was still standing at attention, she returned the salute half-heartedly just to get Zoe to relax. “I’ll meet you back at the dorm, Sapphire, don’t have too much fun.” She said with a wink, then headed down the path.

“You didn’t tell me you went to school with the Princess,” Zoe said once Flurry Heart was out of ear shot.

“Yeah, her dad made that request, sorry.” Sapphire said, sitting down on the bench with Zoe sitting down next to her. “While not a state secret, they wanted to make sure she got a peaceful chance to go to school here.”

Zoe didn’t say anything right away, instead she just stared off towards the fountain.

“What’s wrong?” Sapphire asked.

“I had a close call today,” Zoe said, continuing to explain everything that happened.

“Are you OK?!”

“Doctor says I’m fine, but they restricted me to desk duty for the week.”

“I can see that physically, you’re OK, but you still didn’t answer my question.”

“It shook me up a little,”

Sapphire continued to look at her with concern.

“OK, maybe not a little,” Zoe admitted. “He got this close,” Zoe said, holding her hooves barely apart.

“What matters is that you’re OK.” Sapphire said, pulling her close. “Have you told your parents?”

“Scootaloo made sure I did as soon as all the paperwork was filled out,” Zoe answered. “Took me twenty minutes and Dad’s help to keep mom from jumping on the next train to Manehatten.”

“Is there anything I can do for you?” Sapphire asked.

Zoe turned and looked into her eyes. “Tell me I’m doing the right thing?”

A look of confusion came over Sapphire’s face. “What do you mean?”

“Being a guard,”

“It’s what you’ve wanted to do since the start of high school,”

“Maybe it’s not for me,” Zoe started to explain her reasoning. “I like the job alright enough, but there’s something missing.” She continued. “I just feel like I could be doing something more.”

“Well, what ever it is, you’ll have me backing you up.” Sapphire said as she got up from sitting, flicking Zoe’s nose with her tail. “Enough of this moping, if we hurry I can sneak you into the dormitory.” She said then started quickly down the pathway.

Zoe sat there for a second, unsure as to what just happened, but then it clicked and she started after her.


Two Months Later

“Are you sure about this, Cadet?” The towering pegasus behind the desk asked.

“I am Captain,” Zoe said.

“You’re one of the Academy’s best cadets to come along in several years,” he said. “You’re leaving the Guard worse off by leaving it.”

“But if I feel I can’t give it my all, aren’t I doing it a disservice?”

“That is true,” The old pegasus said. “It’s been a pleasure, Cadet.” He said, this time saluting Zoe, which she returned with a smile.

“Here’s all the paper work you need to give to Commandant Spitfire,” He continued, handing over a folder. “All the best in your travels, Ms Scott.”

Zoe walked out of the Captain’s office and into the precinct work area where she got few farewells and a few snubs. Can’t win them all, I guess.

After clearing out her locker, she made her way for the front door, and there was Scootaloo.

“You actually did it?” She asked.

“Yeah. I’m going home.”

“For what it’s worth, you were an alright guard.” Scootaloo told her.

“And you were a mediocre evaluator,” Zoe said with a wicked grin.

Scootaloo pulled her into a tight hug. “Give your parents my best,” She told her after they parted.

“Of course,” Zoe said heading for the door.

“And Zoe,” Scootaloo said, causing her to turn back. “Take care of yourself.”

“You too,”

Zoe stepped out of the Guard Precinct and took a deep breath. Choosing to go right, she thought about hailing a taxi, but instead walked up to a city bus stop where a group of Starfleet officers stood staring at a map.

“Lost?” Zoe asked.

“Huh?” One of them asked, a Bolian lieutenant wearing sciences blue. “Yeah, we’re trying to get to the train station so we can get back to Canterlot.”

Zoe gave out a quick chuckle. “You’re on the wrong side of the street. You need to catch the 92 West,” She explained, pointing out the bus route on their map. “I’m going the same place, follow me.”

“Thank you,” the Lieutenant asked. “You’ve saved our skins, we weren’t sure if we’d make it back in time for the shuttle.”

“Couldn’t your ship have just transported you?” Zoe asked, getting a surprised look from the Bolian.

“I’m surprised you know so much,” He said. “We’re assigned to the Equus Station as part of an officer exchange, there’s no ship in orbit to beam us anywhere.”

“So, missing the shuttle would be bad.” Zoe said with a chuckle.

“Wouldn’t have happened if L-T hadn’t gotten us lost,” A human male ensign in red remarked. The other officer, a bajoran female lieutenant junior grade gave a snort in a failed attempt to not laugh.

“Laugh it up, Ensign.” The Bolian said. “I’m Manda, the mouthy ensign is Henry, and that’s Li Essa.”

“Zoe,” She said, introducing herself. “Zoe Scott.”

It didn’t take long for the next bus to arrive after they got on the right side of the street. The three of them made small talk. They were initially surprised at who Zoe’s father was, but were friendly anyway.

“Hey, I’ve got a question,” Zoe told them.

“Shoot,” Manda said.

“What does somepony who’s from a non-federation world have to do to apply to Starfleet?”

Manda looked surprised for a moment, but was all to happy to explain it all.