• Published 11th Nov 2015
  • 884 Views, 9 Comments

In Praise of Twilight - GJT_Productions



Spike's royal business in Canterlot provides the context for many stories to be told about Twilight Sparkle's time as Celestia's apprentice

  • ...
2
 9
 884

Shining Armor's Story

ON THE DAY OF THE SONIC RAINBOOM...

Cadet Shining Armor sighed as he looked out the window toward the gleaming castle of Canterlot. Crammed as he was into an uncomfortably small seat and with his teacher droning on and on about nothing in particular he cared much about, Shining could hardly be blamed for his attentions being focused elsewhere.

Today was the day his precious little sister, Twilight Sparkle, was taking the entrance exam to get into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, the cream of the crop of schools for unicorns. A number of ancestors from both sides of his family had learned and taught at that school, and he probably would've followed that path himself had his talent not so obviously meant he was better placed to go into the Royal Guard. He had begged and pleaded with his teachers to be excused so that he could attend the entrance exam, even trying to call in a favor with Princess Celestia (the test's administrator) via Cadance to get an exemption, but all attempts had failed.

His parents certainly understood why he couldn't be there, and even Twily might be able to understand, but it didn't make him feel any better about the situation. Until he knew whether Twily got in or not (and Cadance had made it clear that Celestia would not pass her just because of him), he would be on pins and needles, completely distracted from the lesson of his droning teachers.

With his mind flitting here and there, it took the bright colors of the Sonic Rainboom spreading across the sky to snap him back to attention. He vaguely heard the buzz of some other students which were presumably looking in the same direction and had seen the Rainboom as well, as well as the drone of the teacher stopping, but what he saw next caused his heart to leap into his throat.

"DRAGON!" Shining shouted at the top of his lungs as soon as he saw the head of the temporarily-enlarged Spike sticking through one of the towers of the castle - he correctly reasoned that something that big could only have been a dragon - and, naturally assuming the worst, begins trying to rock out of the seat he had jammed himself into.

The details of the upset class and whatever words were said were lost in the rush of adrenaline Shining was experiencing as he continued rocking his seat back and forth. Eventually the seat toppled over, nearly knocking into another seat, and Shining pushed down on the desk with his forehooves to get his hind legs free. Once the legs were free, he was up and out the door before anypony could even get his attention.

The adrenaline kept Shining running at full gallop, speeding down hallways and sliding around corners. He frequently had to dodge to avoid headlong collisions and constantly was shouting back apologies to those he whizzed by, but he refused to let that deter him - the fact his family was near where the dragon had appeared. He later heard a rumor he was moving so fast he broke an Academy record for fastest travel between the Academy and Canterlot Castle, but of course nopony could verify the truth of that rumor.

Like Cadance, Shining noticed in fleeting glimpses the agitation the Sonic Rainboom had caused, although in his haste he didn't much appreciate it. To be fair though, he wouldn't have fully appreciated it then, and only later when Shining had been charged with leading Luna's rehabilitation did he begin to appreciate it and the reach of its effects rippling across Equestria...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once at the castle proper, the second thoughts began to set in as he blew past guard after guard, not even bothering the pretense of apologizing. What would his teachers think? What would Celestia think? Could this behavior even be justified?

The only thing keeping him from stopping in his tracks and turning around shame-faced was the concern he felt for his family, the younger sister in particular, and the fact he'd already made too much of a spectacle to pretend to be able to deny it. He'd already picked up a bit of a reputation for not "doing things halfway", and he realized to his chagrin this would further add to that reputation.

He only allowed himself to stop and catch his breath when he arrived in the testing area, painfully aware of his unprofessional posture and rumpled cadet shirt as he looked around him. The sight of both his parents - seeming rather shellshocked at what had transpired from what he saw of their expressions - and a very excited Twilight put his mind at ease temporarily, but the next sight of Princess Celestia caused the worry to flare up again. What would she say or do?

Before he could do or say anything else, the angry tirades of several guards behind him burst forth. Basically, they were trying to order him taken away for being outside his classes without explanation, but before they can lay a hoof on him Celestia raises hers to stop them. Shining looks back and forth between Celestia and the confused guards.

"I know of this cadet." Celestia speaks to the guards firmly. "His actions are very understandable, if somewhat misguided, and he is not to be treated too harshly for it. If his drill sergeant comes around, tell him I will deal with it myself and meet with him later about it."

After Celestia finishes speaking, Shining looks back at the guards, who exchange what seem to be shrugging motions before backing away from the situation. Shining then turns his attention back to Celestia and reflexively gives a salute in her direction.

"At ease, Cadet. I already have guessed why you're here." Celestia replies with an amused smile, which is the cue for the filly Twilight to excitedly run up and bounce around her big brother.

"I got in B.B.B.F.F! I got in, and I got my cutie mark too!" Twilight exclaims excitedly, stopping for a moment to let Shining see the new mark on her flank.

"Well that's great Twily! Looks a bit like mine..." Shining comments, the first words he's able to get out while his mind is still trying to process the scene around him.

"The princess says she's never seen a unicorn like me before! I'm going to be her personal student! Isn't that great, big brother?!" Twilight continues exclaiming, the eagerness in her shining eyes undeniably powerful.

"Wow, really?" Shining asks down to his little sister, not quite believing what he was hearing.

"Yes indeed son, she's going to be here in Canterlot full time from now on learning from Princess Celestia." Shining's father, Night Light, answers in stead of his daughter, causing Shining to look up and over at his approaching parents.

"I just wish it didn't cause so much drama. I don't think I'll ever look at potted plants the same way again..." Twilight Velvet - Shining's mother - adds, her expression changing to a freaked-out briefly before resuming the excited smile she shared with her husband.

"Potted plants?" Shining asks back in confusion - as he had not witnessed the event for himself, it took some time before he learned the details of what had happened during his sister's moment of power incontinence that caused the hatching of Spike.

"Excuse me, but I need to speak with the cadet privately for a few moments." Celestia interrupts, drawing the attention of the entire family to her. The sun princess beckons Shining to follow her, and with great reluctance Shining begins to follow her.

"Just a minute Twily, the princess needs to talk to me about something first, OK?" Shining says to his sister, holding a smile briefly before turning back and showing his true uncertainty to Celestia...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is only when Celestia and Shining are in semi-private that the former feels at ease to speak freely: "In a way, I'm glad you bolted from class. Cadance will probably be here any minute - her carriage has to come from the other side of the city - and I won't be able to say anything to you once she gets here..."

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty, I saw the dragon sticking out of the tower and I acted on..." Shining interrupts, but is stopped by Celestia placing a shod forehoof right on his mouth.

"You really have nothing to apologize for, Cadet." Celestia quietly replies. "That dragon came from an egg that was a test I set up for your sister. I'm still trying to get all the details, but she managed to hatch the egg and then magically grow the hatchling temporarily! That's unprecedented for a unicorn, let alone one of her age! That's why I am taking her on as my apprentice."

Celestia pauses to let the facts sink in for Shining, and he temporarily turns away to see Twilight and his parents around a small purple shape - the same color as the dragon he saw, but much smaller - that was the baby dragon soon to be named Spike. He then turns back to Celestia with an expression that shows even he is quite surprised by his younger sister's power.

"Cadance was quite right about her after all." Celestia comments, daring to show a smile to Shining.

Once again Shining looks back and forth between the sun princess and the rest of his family gathered around the newly-hatched dragon, and says something that surprises even him: "Make me a warrior."

When Celestia's look changes to one of confusion, the pleading emotions come pouring out of Shining: "Make me a warrior. That's my sister, my family there, and I love them. Make me a warrior so that I can protect what I love."

After Shining finishes his plea, Celestia's look changes to one of thoughtful consideration, then somberness, giving an impression of a storm cloud passing over the face of her sun in the sky. When she does answer, the tone is heavy and somber: "Yes, young stallion, you will be a warrior. But I fear you do not know what you are really asking..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACK IN THE PRESENT...

"She was talking about Luna. It was always with Luna front and center." Spike comments to break Shining's narrative.

"Definitely, Spike." Shining replies, putting the final adjustments on his uniform and armor. "Celestia had a lot of faith in Twily, even then."

"Twily had a part to play, and play it she did. Now Celestia has other plans for her, for us. And we have to do our best to fulfill those plans." Cadance adds in commentary, and several seconds of somber affirmation follow.

"Come on, Cadance and I gotta get going. Spike, you remember the castle rules? They'll apply in here." Shining says to break the silence.

"No fire breath without permission, avoid use of claws and teeth, sweep out any scales you see." Spike replies, "counting" on the claws of his arms to help remember the rules that had applied while he lived in Canterlot castle and for the most part still applied in Ponyville.

"Good. Make sure you get some sleep, Twily will understand why you had to stay a second night. Hopefully, Cadance and I will see ya before you have to head back to Ponyville in the morning."

"Don't worry, I will. I promise." Spike replies with a shy smile.

"See ya later then, little guy." Shining replies, giving a bit of a noogie to Spike in the same way he had with younger Twilight in the past - the greater durability of Spike's draconian body compensated for the extra squishing force applied.

"Bye!" Spike calls as he waves after the leaving Shining and Cadance. Shining closes the door to his officer's suite behind them, and once again Spike ends up alone with his thoughts.

And boy, what thoughts they were! There would be no shortage of excited conversation once he got back to Ponyville, that's for sure!