• Published 3rd Jun 2012
  • 14,140 Views, 474 Comments

Oldnew Luna - arandompenguin



Something has happened to Princess Luna that greatly weakened her, Twiluna

  • ...
42
 474
 14,140

Chapter 6: Moving

The night was dreamless, both shared and private. Twilight arose from her bed, actually her bed this time, and stood, drawing out a massive yawn. The curtains were still open from when Twilight had opened them last morning, and judging by the height of the sun in the sky, it must have been about midday. She looked over to Luna’s bed in the opposite corner of the room, only to find it empty. Luna wasn’t lying when she said she would be moving about tomorrow. Twilight could hear the sound of running water coming from the ensuite bathroom, and could smell the faint scent of lavender in the air. Twilight decided to let Luna shower in peace, and instead went over to her bookcase, and pulled out the familiar slender, leather-bound book. She set it down on Luna’s writing desk, and sat herself down on the accompanying chair. She looked at the book, wondering if Luna would notice she was using their magic, or if the shower would distract her. Taking a risk, she produced the necessary spell for unlocking the tome, and sent it onto the book. There was a slight click as the security spell was disabled and the book opened to a new page. Twilight pulled a quill out, and dipped it in the black ink pot using her hoof, not wanting to risk using more magic. It had been a while since she had last had to use her hoof to write, 15 years in fact, back then she couldn’t even do a simple levitation spell, ever since she learned how she had been using it for writing, perfecting her control and writing style.

This hoof written paragraph that she hastily wrote out however, looked like it had been written by a filly, Twilight gave a slight sigh, knowing that this would have to do, and re-read her work to see if it made sense, not that her rambling usually did.
‘Over the past days, I’ve felt so many things that I’ve barely felt before, and those times that I had were few and far between. Most prominently, I’ve been having confusing feelings for Princess Luna.’ She crossed out the word 'Princess', remembering how Luna didn't want to be called that and wishing to respect that, even in a piece of writing that Luna hopefully would never see. The writing continued, ‘The feeling started out small, the sorts of feelings I had around my friends back in Ponyville, feelings of acceptance, gratitude and an air of belonging. With Luna however, I feel warm whenever we are together, our feelings are linked but she hides them well, I’m not whether she feels these same things, or whether it is just a side effect of the magical frequency link, or something entirely different. I feel...’ The paragraph ended there, as Twilight unable to continue, not knowing how to describe what she felt, all those foreign feelings. She briefly reflected on how her newest writing was actually more coherent that what she usually wrote, and the irony that what she felt was more confusing than anything she had felt before. Twilight heard the sound of the shower being turned off, and quickly shoved the book back into the bookcase, locking it quickly it in the process.

Twilight pretended to look at Luna’s books whilst she waited for Luna to emerge, which she did. She had a towel wrapped around her mane, and was still slightly damp, and that smell of lavender still permeated the air.
"Ah, Twilight, you’re up." Luna said, stating the obvious. Twilight turned to face her and smiled slightly at the mare.
"Yeah, I was just looking through your books, you have quite a few interesting ones." Twilight said, not lying as she had actually looked through Luna’s bookcase before and noticed a few books that were almost certainly the originals of famous books, such as The Life of an Eccedentesiast which was an autobiography, by the second Gryphon Prince.
"Yes, however I’m sure it is nothing compared to that entire library that you look after." Luna said, reminding Twilight how today was the day that Princess Luna would start living with her, she was momentarily taken back, still amazed by the fact. Luna noticed the dazed expression on Twilight’s face.
"You okay?" Luna asked, looking concerned at the younger mare. Twilight shook herself out of the daze and back to the present.
"Yeah, I’m fine... When are we leaving?" Twilight asked, revealing the source of her thoughts.
"Oh, so that’s what it is, I think we’re leaving at noon, that’s in just under an hour by the way. Also, if anyone should be nervous about this, it should be me; after all, last time I was in Ponyville, things didn't really turn out too good." Luna replied, removing her towel and hanging it next to the hearth to dry out. Twilight blushed at the fact that she hadn’t even considered what Luna thought of this move to Ponyville, some friend she was.

"So... I guess we should get packing then." Twilight said after the silence started to lengthen. Luna nodded and pulled out a small suitcase from her wardrobe with her mouth.
"Yes, that would probably be best." Luna agreed and set about piling in her most precious items: books, pictures etc. And of course, some clothes. Twilight turned to her small bag that she used as a suitcase and realised how she hadn’t even opened it in the time she was here, she didn't even know how long she had been in Canterlot castle. She mentally calculated it, she had arrived and been knocked out on the same day, been unconscious for about three days, spent yesterday with Luna, and then there was today. That made five days here and, she hadn’t even gotten around to opening her suitcase, yet more has happened to her in those past five days than the past five months. Twilight sighed quietly and went over to Luna to help her pack. With Twilight’s organisational skills, Luna was able to fit in much more than she previously thought, even managing to pack in a few books which Twilight mentioned that she didn’t have at the Library.

After their packing was complete, they still had over a quarter of an hour left until it was time to leave for Ponyville. Neither could think of anything to do, so they just sat together, leaning on each other's shoulders, and stared out of the floor to ceiling windows opposite them. The sun was high in the sky and shone brightly over the forest, seeming both still and yet bustling with life. As they sat, Luna tried to read Twilight’s feelings, and saw that Twilight’s feelings were too confusing to read, perhaps she was trying to hide them?
"How are you feeling, Twilight?" Luna asked, hoping the direct approach would yield greater results.
"Honestly? I don’t know... I’m not sure whether to feel happy or sad, so much has happened, and each event left an impression on me, but none seem to tip the balance one way or another." Twilight replied. Luna nodded, realising that Twilight was not trying to hide her thoughts, she really was confused.
"I know how you feel." Luna stated simply, not caring to elaborate. This time it was Twilight who nodded in reply. As the silence stretched out, the two mares were content with sitting quietly together, the only sound being the rhythmic breathing of the two ponies, and the occasional bird caw. All too soon it was time to go.

"Well, I guess it’s time to go." Luna said, standing up with a small groan. She grabbed Twilight’s hoof with her own, and hauled her up.
"Thanks." Twilight said, collecting her suitcase. Luna went over and got her own suitcase, and together they trotted out of the door. The Royal Guards that usually stayed stationed at their post outside of Luna’s bedroom doors instead followed the two mares as they walked in silence along the corridor, each thinking their own thoughts. Twilight was thinking of what would happen once they arrived in Ponyville, she would have to tell her friends but was not sure how they would react, apart from maybe Pinkie, who would want to throw a party, and unfortunately that probably isn’t what a recuperating princess wants. Luna, on the other hand, was thinking of her sister. She still felt guilty for once more piling her duties onto Celestia, even though she knew it couldn’t have been avoided, she was also thankful to Twilight, if it wasn’t for Twilight it wouldn’t be Celestia wielding the moon, but the Nightmare.

The two were so absorbed in their thoughts that they didn’t even realise they were in the courtyard until Princess Celestia was right in front of them.
"Ah there you are, I trust you are ready to depart?" She asked. The other two mares nodded, still deep in thought. Celestia frowned at this, concerned at the contemplative looks on both of them, perhaps she should have allowed a few more days for them to work things out. Unfortunately there was no turning back now, and so she led them over to the awaiting carriage and they followed. As they got in, Celestia said her goodbyes to each pony in turn. First up was Twilight, she looked up at the princess with sorrow in her eyes and Celestia bent down, nuzzling Twilight’s neck.
"Farewell Twilight." Celestia said, no longer referring to her as her pupil.
Celestia stood back up and Twilight climbed in, "Goodbye Celestia." Twilight replied, no longer calling her a Princess, they were more friends than anything else now. And then Luna walked up to her sister, suitcase in tow, and she set it down at her feet to embrace her big sister.
"Goodbye sister, don’t worry Twilight will look after you." Princess Celestia said.
"It’s not me I’m worried about..." Luna replied before pulling away from the embrace, picking her suitcase up once more and climbing in next to Twilight. Even though there was enough room for four ponies on the seats, Luna still sat against Twilight. As the carriage set off Celestia waved to the two, and continued until they were out of sight.

Twilight let the wind rushing past clear her mind as she leant against the mare beside her, feeling the warmth of being this close warm her up and cheer her up slightly.
"I wonder if my friends will be there to meet us." Twilight said, voicing her questions as there became to many to keep locked up. Luna gave a slight shrug, moving Twilight along with her shoulders.
"As far as I know, nopony knows that you're arriving today." Luna added. Twilight nodded at this logical reply, mentally chiding herself for not coming up with that answer herself, of course nopony knew she was coming back today. They probably didn’t even know she was gone as Twilight was prone to staying locked away inside her library for days on end, researching something or practicing a particularly difficult spell. Perhaps it would be better if no one knew she was coming back, it would allow Luna some time to settle in without being overcome by other ponies. Twilight leaned to her right to get a view over the side of the chariot and Luna fell with her, still leaning on her shoulder. They both giggled, the laughter growing in volume as Luna struggled to pull herself back up, and failed, falling back on the other mare. Eventually the laughs subsided, the two mares content on lying there together.
"I’ve really enjoyed these past few days, despite everything it has been... fun to be with you." Luna said to the violet mare underneath her.
"I think so too, Luna..." Twilight replied.

The chariot seemed to be going slower than it was when it was bringing Twilight to the castle, so it was at least another five minutes before Twilight could see Ponyville approaching in the distance.
"Hey look, there’s Ponyville." Twilight said and Luna pulled herself up using the top of the seats, she looked over the edge to try and get a view of the place she would be living in for the next few years.
"It’s a lot more... colourful than it looks at night." Luna said the first thing that came into her mind, Twilight nodded, remembering how she had been slightly dazed by the barrage of colours that met her when she first arrived in Ponyville. The chariot seemed to be skirting the main city, and following a more circular route to get to Twilight’s tree library, supposedly to make a more covert entrance. Another minute or so and they would arrive at Twilight’s, and now Luna’s, house. The two mares spent the minute in silence, once more sitting up, and stared at the library as they gradually got closer. Once they were close enough that they could make out the windows of the tree, the chariot began its descent. It touched down not three metres from the door, as silent and as softly as a leaf falling from a tree.

As they touched down the both of them stood simultaneously, picked up their suitcases and departed from the chariot. The two Royal Guards that had sat stationary in the front of the chariot now looked at their previous passengers and saluted smartly before taking off back to the castle. Luna glanced over at Twilight and let her lead. Twilight smiled reassuringly at her before moving forward and opening the door with her magic.
"Sorry, the library is closed today, please come back later." A voice rang out from the kitchen, a young male voice. Silence followed his call and the source of the voice revealed himself to be Twilight’s assistant, Spike.
"I’m back." Twilight said, stating the obvious.
"Oh! Twilight, it’s you, I thought it was someone looking to borrow a book." He ran forward and embraced Twilight before noticing the pony behind her.
"Princess Luna! I didn't see you there, you look... different..." Spike trailed off, no longer hugging Twilight and instead staring at their new guest.
"Yes, you are Spike?" Luna asked, stepping into the library and closing the door behind her.
"Yeah, erm, nice to meet you Princess." Spike replied, obviously not used to talking to princesses.
"It is nice to meet you too, but please call me Luna, I’m going to be here a while and it would be awkward if we were so formal all the time." Luna said as Twilight began to unpack her stuff.
"I see, so Luna, how long are you going to be here?" Spike asked, wondering when he could get back to being his normal self instead of this awkward state he was in.
"Well... I would guess a few years, more or less." Luna replied, this was obviously not the answer Spike was expecting, his eyes opened wide but managed to hide most of his shock. Twilight had finished unpacking her bags, and was now looking around the library to see what sort of state Spike had left it in, surprisingly it was rather well kept.
"A...A few years?" Spike asked, thinking he had probably heard wrong.
"Yes, it’s kind of complicated." Luna replied, Twilight walked back over to the other two.

"Come on, let me show you where you will be sleeping." Twilight said, leading her over to the spare bed she had used during the sleepover with Rarity and Applejack. Spike walked out of the front door of the library, presumably to go to the market or some other shop.
"This is your bed, my bed is just opposite, there’s also a bookcase right next to the bed incase you want to store your books or other stuff." Twilight said, knowing that everything was pretty self explanatory, but she couldn’t think of anything else to say about it. Luna nodded dutifully and started unpacking her possessions onto the empty bookcase next to her bed.
"Ok, I’ll leave you to it, I’m going to grab something to eat, do you want anything?" Twilight asked, walking back to the kitchen.
"No thanks." Luna said, as she continued to pull items out of the suitcase. Twilight nodded and disappeared into the kitchen. As Luna placed her stuff onto the bookcase she realised that it wasn’t entirely empty, there was a slender, leather-bound book that she hadn’t noticed before. She stopped unpacking and picked it up, immediately noticing the locking spell upon it, it seemed easy enough to unlock, the only problem was an ethical one, this book was obviously private, and wasn’t meant to be seen by anyone. On the other hand though, why had Twilight left it there if it was so important to her? There was no title on the cover, and seemed more a journal than a novel, eventually Luna’s curiosity prevailed, and she unlocked the book quickly and opened it up. The book’s pages fluttered by before arriving on an empty page, she turned a few pages back and saw what Twilight had written.

It was indeed a journal, but was set out weirdly, it seemed like a diary but it didn’t record events, but feelings. She read the most recent entry,
‘Over the past days, I’ve felt so many things that I’ve barely felt before, and those times that I had were few and far between. Most prominently, I’ve been having confusing feelings for Princess Luna.’ She was confused slightly by the crossing out of her title, perhaps it was because she said she didn't want to be called Princess? She was more concerned, however by the notion that Twilight had confusing feelings for her. She read on, hoping things would be explained better, ‘The feeling started out small, the sorts of feelings I had around my friends back in Ponyville, feelings of acceptance, gratitude and an air of belonging. With Luna however, I feel warm whenever we are together, our feelings are linked but she hides them well, I’m not whether she feels these same things, or whether it is just a side effect of the magical frequency link or something entirely different. I feel...’ The writing ended, Luna blushed at what she had just read, it seems like Twilight felt for her, more than she let on. Luna knew that while the magical link between them would strengthen the feelings, it would not have caused them. This meant that these were Twilight’s own feelings. Luna thought of the implications to something like this, would Twilight ever say anything about it? Or did she plan on keeping it a secret? Her mind though, quickly turned from questions about Twilight to questions of herself; did she feel the same way back? Luna pondered this for the longest time, before confirming what she already knew, Luna did feel the same way back.

So what now? Luna asked herself, the question repeating itself over in her mind and remained unanswered. Eventually Luna came to her senses and relocked the book, placing it back where she had found it and making it look like she had never even looked at it. Just as she had finished and had gotten back to her unpacking, Twilight came through the kitchen doors holding a daffodil sandwich on a plate with her magic, and walked back to Luna. She looked at the bookcase, surveying how Luna was doing with her unpacking.
"I felt you perform magic whilst I was in the kitchen, what were you doing?" Twilight asked, she didn't seem angry or surprised, just curious.
"Oh, it was nothing..." Luna replied, echoing Twilight’s words from just a day ago, Twilight nodded, not satisfied with the answer but not wanting to pry. She continued looking at the bookcase and spotted the leather-bound book, she turned quickly to the other mare. Luna’s eyes betrayed her.
"You read it." Twilight said quietly, more a statement than a question, Luna nodded slowly and they both blushed deeply.