• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 1,838 Views, 15 Comments

The Lunar Escape - LuneLover



After a meeting with the Griffon Empire, Luna decides that the rejection is more than what she can take.

  • ...
8
 15
 1,838

The letter

Sister,

It must surprise you, seeing that I suddenly vanished without explanation. You probably searched for me in my room, and found this letter instead. Which is okay, because I wanted that to happen.

Remember, sister, when we were little fillies, and we were still with our parents? We lived in another reality, where our Mother and Father could watch over their creations, the ponies. We discovered tht our special talents revolved around the sun and the moon, just like our parents.

And then came the time when we became adults, Discord arrived, and we were sent to defeat him. Mother told us that we had to look for the Tree Of Harmony, and find the Elements to defeat him. We did, but when we tried to come back to Mother and Father, we couldn't. And we felt betrayed and abandoned, and we thought our parents were horrible ponies. But then Father visited us in our dreams, and told us that Discord's magic had closed the barrier between our world and the ponies'. Not only that, but the universe was disbalanced, and they had lost their connections with the sun and the moon. That meant that we wouldn't be able to be with them anymore, and we would have to raise the sun and the moon on our own. I remember that when we woke up the first thing we did was hug each other and cried, cried until we had no tears and then procedeed to raise the sun and lower the moon. When the ponies saw us, they bowed and told us that we were meant to be their rulers.

And so our ruling began.

But not everything was perfect.

Centuries passed, and I started to notice something. Most ponies didn't recognise my autority, and feared or ignored me in the worst case. Our subjects thought you were mighty and perfect, while I was useless and weak. I remember thinking that it wasn't that bad, that were still ponies who loved my night. And when I realized that wasn't true, I held to my last hope. I told myself that as long as you, my sister and equal, loved and cared about me and my night, it was going to be fine.

But I realised you didn't care.

At all.

I tried to get close to my subjects and regain your love for me. But to them I was a nuisance, and you were ashamed of me.

When all of that failed, I was overhelmed by anger. I wanted to make you pay. For all the pain that I felt when I was rejected by my subjects. For all the sadness you caused me when you ignored me. For all the times I lay in my bed, crying until I was exhausted.

It was around that time when we defeated Sombra and Tirek. Sombra made me decide to use Dark magic. Against you.

I remember that night very well. I waited behind the throne and came out when you entered the room. I told you I was going to be the only princess in Equestria and I raised the moon to cover the sun and create an eclipse. Dark Magic revolved around me and changed me into the beast known as Nightmare Moon. We fought for hours and you were defeated.

Or so I thought.

You hit with the Elements, the Elements that our parents created, the Elements that united us so many times when we fought against foes. For me, it was the ultimate betrayal. I remember pain, so much pain, and the next thing I know was that I was on my own moon. Trapped.

How ironic.

The following 1000 years were a torture, full of madness, loneliness and pain from the starvation. Somehow, that only made my hate for you even stronger. The torture ended when four stars, loyal to the daughter of their creator, saw my pain and gave me their power. I came back to Equestria and found you. I attacked you, and sealed you away in the sun.

Who's ironic now?

You know the rest. Your faithful student Twilight Sparkle and her friends defeated me with the Elements. I woke up to the sound of your voice and when I saw you get close to me, I was terrified. I thought you were going to kill me or banish me again, and I couldn't do anything about it. But you didn't do anything to me.

Instead, you offered me your friendship.

I accepted, and I went back to ruling, thinking that the ponies had changed and now would apreciated me. Once again, i was wrong.

Thanks to you describing me as a monster in your fairytale, I was now feared. It came clear to me when I visited Ponyville last Nightmare Night.

The culmination point came when you had that meeting with the Griffon Empire and I heard them talking. They didn't want to meet me because they still thought I was a monster.

Why did you allow them, Celestia?

Why!?

That's why I decided to leave. You don't need me, but I'll still do my duty. Even if I am far, I'll still raise the moon and stars, so you'll just have to take care of the sun.

Goodbye,

Princess Luna,
Co-ruler of Equestria and Guardian of the Night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celestia felt tears running down her muzzle, but she didn't stop them. Luna was right, she had ignored her own sister for a long time. And even she didn't know why she had accepted the Griffon ambassador's request.

"Even after these 1000 years, I'm still a monster."