• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 1,690 Views, 933 Comments

Ponyfinder: Roots of Stone - David Silver



Tree Hugger comes to help the Pies with a tree that sprouted on their rock farm. It's in the way! Her attempt to move it peacefully propels herself and Maud Pie into the Ponyfinder world of Everglow, where they will have to learn to fight together.

  • ...
6
 933
 1,690

PreviousChapters Next
60 - The Shore Beckons

Tabitha claimed a space to build near the shore, but off the beach itself and its small pebbles. She claimed Paul's sword, as she had threatened, but he had a rapier to fall back on at least. "I knew keepin' this was a good idea."

"It swings differently," cautioned Fast. "We didn't get much a chance to spar with it."

"Right right, don't go cleavin' with it like a damn axe or nothin'. I know that." Paul waved it off as he headed for the trees. "Let's get ourselves some lumber."

Tree raised a hoof. "Let me come with you. I'll find the trees that are ready to go."

Maud inclined her head back at Tabitha. "I'll stay here and guard her. We shouldn't leave our little sister alone."

Tree burst into giggles. "That's too sweet, but yeah, for sure. You keep an eye on little sis. I feel safe with these brave warriors looking over me."

The party split, with Maud watching over Tabitha and the others going off to fetch lumber. Maud watched Tabitha sit for a moment before shaking her head. "You should walk more. You won't get used to it sitting down."

Tabitha frowned at the idea. "What if I'm tired of falling over?"

Maud approached. "You can lean on me if you want, but you should walk."

Tabitha wanted to argue the fact, but let out a little sigh. "I don't have to like it."

"You don't."

"But I'll do it." She took ahold of Maud's mane gently and let the grey pony guide her around, getting used to her new hooves. "It's funny, you know. Before I sort of asked for this, and now here it is, and I'm complaining."

Maud glanced aside at Tabitha. "Was it what you expected?"

"Sort of... some of it?" She looked back over her shoulder and, with some effort, got her tail to flick about. "I think it's the hooves that bother me the most." She tapped a hoof on a rock before bouncing off of it, almost collapsing for her attempt, but recovering quickly. "I'll get used to it." She smiled at Maud. "Thank you."

"We're not doing anything until they come back, let's keep working." Maud nudged her along, and their walking continued in wide circles. As they went, and Tabitha's steps slowly become more sure, Maud picked up the pace with her, encouraging her to dare to go faster and faster. "Do you have dreams of being a pony?"

"I used to," she huffed as she labored to keep up with Maud. Balanced or not, Maud was faster than she was, and was forced into a clopping sprint to keep up with her. "That vision though, it didn't make me a pony."

"What did it make you?"

"I was a donkey... A big, smelly, ugly donkey."

Maud tilted her head a little. "I've met a donkey before. He was nice."

Tabitha came to a sudden halt, tipped over, and fell on her front with a soft squeak of surprise and pain. "What? Really?"

Maud slowed and turned around to return to Tabitha. "He was married, to another donkey. Crankey and Matilda. They both seemed happy."

Tabitha sat up, bringing her hooves together, knees spread far apart. "Even a donkey had better luck with romance than I seem to. No more of that." She clenched a fist. "I won't let it!"

Her energetic defiance of fate brought a little smile to Maud's stoic face. "Will you look for a human husband, or a pony one?"

The question caught Tabitha off guard. "Oh... I didn't think of that. If I go after a human guy, he's going to think my extra parts are wierd, but if I go for a pony, well, I'll think it's kind of weird, and he'll have to deal with a human wife looming over him all the time the way a pony wife wouldn't."

She patted Maud across her neck. "Why can't I just stay with you guys forever? We get along great."

Maud raised a leg and gently hugged Tabitha. "We're family, but family isn't that kind of love."

"We're not really family. I mean, if we wanted to..."

Maud raised a brow. "No."

A flat denial. Tabitha let out a little sigh. "Sorry. I didn't mean to creep you out or anything."

"You didn't." Maud settled and put her head in Tabitha's lap. "You need family, the real kind. Worry about a husband later."

Tabitha gently played over Maud's ears. "What kind of pony will you go after?"

Maud shrugged a little, but stayed where she was, accepting the petting. "I'll let the choosing rock decide, probably. It worked for my parents. They've been together for a very long time."

"Choosing rock?" Tabitha cocked a brow. "Can I use that?"

Maud tilted her head. "Only if you want to come to Equestria and leave this world behind. You'd get a pony for sure."

"No humans in Equestria? Where is that anyway?"

Maud shrugged slowly. "I don't know. Another world. No humans. Paul and Flint were the first humans I saw."

"Would they even want me?"

"Why not?" Maud spoke with her flat tone. "You're a princess."

Tabitha snorted a little, her ears going upright. "Damn right. I am!" She squirmed to her hooves and began walking away, still wobbling, but upright. "Help me look for some small sharp rocks for things I don't feel like using that huge sword for." Tabitha looked over her shoulder. "One thing though, do you ponies already have one, a princess that is?

Maud nodded. "We do. Her name is Celestia." She paused a moment. "And Luna, Cadance, and Twilight."

Tabitha's eyes widened. "Are those all her name, or do you have that many princesses?"

Maud followed after Tabitha on quiet hooves. "That many. You'd make five."

Tabitha shook her head. "I guess I wouldn't be that odd then, but are they all ponies?"

"They're larger, but yes." Maud nodded slowly. "You don't have to. This is your world. You could be the first pony princess here."

Tabitha knelt down, selecting a rock that seemed to find favor with her. "Maybe that'd be best. Your world already has four to keep it going. It wouldn't be fair to hog them all, would it?"

They would be prepared for the return of the party, and passed the time with tales of their worlds, for better or worse. Tabitha even listened to some rock poetry as if she liked it, which made Maud happy. She could tell good people from the fakers by how they reacted to her songs. Even Fast Shadow couldn't hide how much she forced herself to endure it. Only a few ponies would smile like they meant it, and most of them were family. Maybe Tabitha really was her little sister...

Author's Note:

Tabitha and Maud share a quality bonding afternoon together.

I'm sure the other three will do just as well!

I mean, who hides typos among the trees? Wait...

PreviousChapters Next