• Published 7th Sep 2016
  • 1,402 Views, 20 Comments

Flight - TheUnknownPerson



A year after the Pie Family was attacked by Pinkie Pie, Marble Pie realizes the real reason why her family was attacked. After hearing this, she runs away from the Pie Rock Farm, afraid to stay in the same house with them. Where will she go?

  • ...
0
 20
 1,402

I: Evicted

Marble Pie sat on the edge of Pinkie Pie's bed, rain dripping from her snout. The bright pink sheets below her had dampened and became darker from her wet coat. She had a warm, white towel wrapped around her. Her right fore-hoof was in a white sling, throbbing with every heartbeat. Pinkie Pie was sitting at her left side, with her hooves wrapped around her, gently rocking her. The sun shined through the cracked window, and the distant chatter of ponies in the lower level of the Sugarcube Corner echoed filling the quiet space.

"Do you feel any better?" Pinkie shattered the silence in the room, causing Marble's eyes to jolt up at her. She nodded hesitantly, even though she didn't feel completely safe or better.

I-I haven't seen her since... since she... She glanced away from her. I-I have no choice but to come here. I've got no bits and I had no idea where Applejack was.

Pinkie stood, trotting to her and kneeling down.

"I know you're still tired, but I need to know everything that happened, step by step if you're comfortable."

Marble shook her head.

"Why not?"

Marble shook her head once more, with more force. She couldn't- it was too much.

"Marble-" Pinkie reached for her. Marble jerked away, causing Pinkie to stop. "I'm not going to hurt you, okay?" She gently rested her fore-hoof on Marble left shoulder. Marble relaxed at her touch, feeling her genuine concern and care. "I need to know what happened so I'll know what I need to do. I Pinkie Promise I won't get angry with you, no matter what happens." She said with a smile. Marble nodded. Uncertainty wavered over her- could she trust Pinkie? After everything that happened?

"Mhmm." She mumbled, her voice trembling.

===================

Marble Pie laid in her bed, her warm sheets covering her. Limestone Pie, her sister, had already gone to sleep in her bed at the other side of the room, sleeping soundly. Her mane was a tangled mess from the day's workload. The room was enveloped in pitch darkness, the only light inside the room being a small, wax candle on a table at the corner of the room. She had all she needed to rest: comfort, warmth- there was only one thing missing.

Peace. A single moment of peace would do the trick and put her to sleep. However, there was a feeling gnawing at her that refused to be put to rest. Like a pack of timberwolves fervorously chasing after her, refusing to allow her a moment of rest.

Why was Maud acting so strangely... she barely did anything today. Marble pondered. It's not like her to just sit in her room. She's usually the first one working and the last to bed.

Maybe I could go see if she is all right? It's not too late.

She pulled the thick sheets off of her body, setting it gently to the side as she scooted off the bed. Her hooves were thinner and longer. She had become evenly proportioned- a fully grown pony.

Marble trotted to the corner of the room and picked up the candle carefully, making sure not to spill any of the melted wax. She turned to her door and pushed it opened, trotting through. The house was completely quiet, void of any sound except for the crickets chirping outside. Her candle was the only source of light in the dark hallway. She trotted down the hall, passing by portraits of her family in earlier years. Some even without her, Limestone, or Pinkie.

Marble turned to the left, about to knock on Maud's door, before it opened on its own. Maud was sitting on the edge of her bed, holding a small picture frame in her hoof. Igneous Rock and Cloudy Quartz were sitting beside her, one at each of her shoulders. They stared at the frame with her, their hooves wrapped over her shoulders. Igneous' hat was at the edge of her bed, and Cloudy's mane was undone, hanging to the sides of her face. Her glasses were hanging from her neck, fogged.

"I can't believe it's been so long..."

"Hard to imagine that she's almost twenty-one now."

Maud just kept staring at the picture frame, curious of who's picture they were staring at.

Who're they talking about? Marble leaned in closer. Pinkie?

"I-I still can't forgive m-myself for what we did. We s-stole her childhood from her." Cloudy's voice trembled. She wiped her eyes with a small napkin.

"We mustn't allow it to get to us, darling. What's done is done." Igneous said, rubbing Cloudy's back. Cloudy took in a deep breath.

"I-I suppose you're right. Let me look at her one more time before--"

She went to grab the frame, only to knock it out of Maud's hooves. The frame fell to the ground, landing on its top right corner. Glass shattered across the room, spreading around the room and out into the hall. The frame slid under the door, slowing to a stop at her hooves. The picture was still inside the frame, covered with glass.

What?

Marble wiped the glass away from the picture and picked it up. She glanced over the picture, seeing--

===================

Marble Pie paused, turning away. She couldn't bear to tell Pinkie about what she had seen.

I can barely believe it myself...

"What did you see?"

Marble shook her head. She wouldn't allow a single word to slip through her lips.

"I need to know what you saw, Marble." Pinkie held Marble's left fore-hoof. Marble shook her head again with more force. She turned her head towards the ground, awaiting Pinkie's disapproval. However, no such thing came.

Pinkie wrapped her in a hug, being careful around her right fore-hoof, to Marble's surprise. What? She isn't angry?

"It's all right. I understand. Just let me know what you saw whenever you're ready."

Marble nodded, releasing a relieved sigh. Maybe she's not like she was. It has been a long time.

===================

Marble stared at a picture of her older sister, Pinkie Pie, as a foal, atop a boulder. A pegasus foal. She was standing up, her wings opened as if she were about to take flight. Her mouth opened in shock.

W-what the... what the hay?!

Her right fore-hoof shook. She threw the photograph down, quickly turning back to her room and trotting away. Maybe they'll just think I-I was passing by?! Yeah!

The door in behind of her slung open. Marble glanced to the door behind her. Maud Pie was standing behind her, over the picture. She glanced at the picture behind Marble's hooves, then back up to her. Marble's hooves trembled as her oldest sister stared at her, emotionless. "Wh-what?" She tried to shake the fear in her voice, but it was too mighty to be contained.

"Father, Mother-" Maud turned back, poking her head into the room. "We may have a problem."

Igneous trotted out of the room, and up to Marble immediately.

"What did you see?" He quietly asked. Marble could sense his scorn, even though he had only said a few words.

"Uh... I w-was..." Marble struggled to find the words, the event shaking her to her core. "y-you see... um..."

He leaned closer towards her, their snouts touching. Even with barely any contact, Marble could sense his fury through his movements. He slammed his right fore-hoof against the wall beside her, causing her already weakened hooves to tremble with fear. She released the candle, holding her fore-hooves close to her chest. The flame went out as she released the candle, landing to their left.

"What. Did. You. See?!" Igneous said slowly, his voice full of scorn. Marble's trembling hooves pointed to the broken picture frame, and then to Maud as she picked up the picture. Igneous glanced to the picture, then back to Marble as he sighed, frustrated.

"What h-happened?"

"We..." Igneous leaned down, picking up the picture. He stared at it. "We did what we had to for this family to survive. I'm sorry you had to find out this way, Marble." Igneous took a step towards her, causing Marble to take a step back. "We wanted to tell you and Limestone one day-- honestly."

Marble backed against the wooden wall behind her, her heart racing. She traced over the room, desperate to find something to help her if she needed to defend herself. Nothing.

"And I'm sorry to say that we'll do it again, even if it kills me." Igneous trotted up to her quickly, grabbing her by left fore-hoof and pulled towards the doorway. Marble grabbed his hoof, trying to pull him away. Her trembling hooves weren't strong enough to tear away Igneous' iron grip.

"Come with me, Maud. Your mother doesn't need to see this again."

Maud nodded, following behind her. She lifted Marble's hind-hooves, making sure she couldn't break away. Marble kicked, clawed, screamed-- anything to help her escape them.

"F-father, please! I-I'll never t-tell anypony what I saw! I pr-promise!" Marble's voice trembled. Her pleas fell on deaf ears.

Igneous and Maud carried her into the rain, towards the large, red barn in silence. She struggled against them, trying to break free of their grip.

I have to break away!

"I'm sorry. We can't let anypony know what happened." Igneous stopped. "Open the doors and get the tools."

Maud released Marble's hind-hooves, trotting passed her and Igneous. She pushed the barn doors open and stepped inside. Marble pushed away from him, tugging her right fore-hoof with all her might. Igneous slowed.

"Ugh--" He pulled her back to him, nearly knocking her into the muddied ground. "Don't make this any harder than it has to be. I hope you'll understand it one day. All I do, I do for this family, whether I like it or not."

Igneous began to trot inside the barn. Marble pulled away from him away from him again. Igneous stopped, holding onto her.

Poppp

A deafening pop sounded through her hoof as she broke away from Igneous. She stumbled and fell to the ground, collapsing under her body weight, failing to catch herself. Her right shoulder burned as her entire right fore-hoof throbbed with pain.

"What--"

Igneous looked down at her. Her hoof was twisted at a sickening angle to the side. Marble stumbled to her three uninjured hooves and galloped away, towards dirt road away from the farm.

===================

"He did what?!"

Marble nodded, glancing away from Pinkie. Her vision became blurry as she fought off her fear.

"I am so, so sorry Marble. I shouldn't have let them near you." Pinkie hugged her tightly, making sure to be careful around her right fore-hoof. Marble held her sister's right fore-hoof.

"Don't worry. I know a few ponies who can help with the pain. We can go tomorrow if you want."

"Mmhm."

"Good. Now, tell me the rest. At your own pace, of course."

===================

Marble galloped away from her family farm, keeping her right fore-hoof up off the ground. She couldn't put any weight on it, let alone gallop on it.

I have to find someplace to hide. They're going to hurt me!

She jumped as she reached the wooden fence lining the farm. Her hind-hooves caught the top board, flipping her onto her back. She landed with a thud, coughed and wheezed. She immediately leaned up, desperate to catch her breath.

"Horseapples!" Marble cursed under her breath. "Not now..."

She forced herself up, crawling away from the farm. I've gotta get away... to the embankment... Her mane clung to the left side of her face, mud mixing in with her soaked mane and coat. She fought exhaustion as she crawled closer to the embankment.

Marble crawled down the road, desperate to reach the embankment. She collapsed as she reached the embankment, out of breath and exhausted. Her right fore-hoof was in the embankment- so close to freedom.

Only a little more. Come on... She pushed herself up, trying to force herself down the embankment. Almost-!

Her left hind-hoof was pulled out from under her, sending her face and snout into mud and dirt. She coughed up mud and wiped the dirt away from her eyes. She looked downwards, seeing Maud was holding her hoof, slowly dragging her away from safety.

"Just-- stop struggling. I promise you I'll make it as painless as possible." A hint of sadness took Maud's usual stoic tone.

"No! Please Maud! I-I promise I-I'll never come b-back! Y-you won't ha-have to worry about me telling anypony!" Marble kicked against Maud's hoof weakly. Her hind-hoof wasn't budging, and her strength was quickly fleeing her.

"I can't."

"Please, Maud." Marble pleaded with her oldest sister. Maud stopped, glancing back at her. "P-please..." Tears slipped down Marble's face as she wept, exhausted. "I-I'm too young to... to..." She bawled. Bawled in front of her older sister as if she were a filly. A blush spread across her face, thoroughly embarrassed.

Maud stared at her, then glanced back up to the farm. She sighed, kneeling down to eye level with her and pulling her closer. Marble feebly fought her hooves. "No- please!" Desperation filled her voice. She had to get away- it couldn't end, not like this- to the hooves of her own family.

"Calm down- I'm not going to hurt you."

Marble slowed to a stop, her burst of energy quickly fleeing as exhaustion took her over. "W... what?" Her voice was frail and quiet.

Maud wiped the mud away from her fore-hooves and chest, moving up to her mane as she pulled clumps of hardened mud out of her mane.

"I'm so sorry you'll have to go through this Marble. I wish there was a different way to do this. A better way" Maud traced up to her forehead, planting a kiss on her forehead. She wiped Marble tears away before she stood.

"Slide down the embankment and stay there until the lights in the house goes out. I'll tell father that you're gone and I couldn't find you. Sneak off after that before father comes try to find you himself."

"Wh-what?"

"You heard me correctly. Get down there and wait until the lights go out in the house. Then get out." Maud's voice took on her usual stoic tone as Marble crawled into the embankment with her left fore-hoof, rolling down and resting against the wall.

"I'm sorry it had to come to this. I love you."

Marble looked upwards to her to respond, but Maud had already turned back and headed towards the farm.

Thank you...

===================

Marble glanced up at Pinkie. Pinkie's lips were quivering, and her mane had fallen to her side. Marble stared at her, concerned.

"Oh-" Pinkie forced a laugh, brushing her darkened mane up onto the top of her head. Although, the matter clearly wasn't one to laugh about. "Don't mind me. Just something that happened a long time ago."

"What?"

"It's complicated. You wouldn't want to know."

Marble nodded.

"What happened after that?"

"I did what Maud said, b-but I didn't know where else I could go besides here. Then you and Applejack f-found me passed out on the side of the road."

"All right... all right." Pinkie stood up, picking up a small, pink blanket at the end of her bed and covering Marble's shoulders and back with it. "Go ahead and get some rest. I'll wake you up when it's dinner."

Marble nodded, as she pulled her hind-hooves onto the bed.

"Sweet dreams, Marble." Pinkie said. She flipped off the light switch as she trotted out of the room, darkening the room.

"Mmhm..."

===================

Pinkie Pie trotted out of the Sugarcube Corner. She trotted through town square, and into the Farmer's Market

I need to head to Sweet Apple Acres to let Applejack know how Marble's doing. She needed my help anyways.

Pinkie trotted through the Farmer's Market. She trotted down the nearly empty path. Only a few earth ponies were left in the market, closing their shops.

"Howdy!"

Pinkie jolted at the touch of her shoulder. She glanced back, seeing Applejack trotting with her, at her right side.

"Oh-- gosh darnit. Sorry Pinkie. Didn't mean ta scare ya like that." Applejack trotted beside Pinkie, out of the farmer's market and towards Sweet Apple Acres. "Just closin' up the stand for the afternoon."

"It wasn't your fault. Just been an exciting day, y'know?"

"Mhm. Sure has been." Applejack nodded. She glanced around the road, reaffirming that the road was empty. She turned back to Pinkie, her lips contorted into a small frown with a pondering gaze.

"Sugarcube, are y'all alright?" Applejack stared at Pinkie. "Is your sister all right?"

"I don't know. You know how reserved she is-- I could barely get her to tell me what happened. After we finished she just sat there, staring at the floor as if she was guilty."

"What did she say?" Applejack asked. Pinkie turned away for a moment, sighing.

"S... she knows that something happened to me."

"What? She knows?"

"She doesn't know what exactly happened, but she knows something did happen."

"Dear Celestia..." Applejack wiped her right fore-hoof over her face. "You sure y'all still wanna help? I can get Apple Bloom or Big Mac ta help instead."

"No, no-- I can help. Marble's probably asleep by now anyways. I don't mind."

"All right, if y'all say so. Rarity's probably here by now. C'mon" Applejack said, quickening her pace. Pinkie followed and kept pace with her.

Hopefully Marble gets some sleep before I get back. She sure needs it...

===================