• Published 7th Sep 2016
  • 1,402 Views, 20 Comments

Flight - TheUnknownPerson



A year after the Pie Family was attacked by Pinkie Pie, Marble Pie realizes the real reason why her family was attacked. After hearing this, she runs away from the Pie Rock Farm, afraid to stay in the same house with them. Where will she go?

  • ...
0
 20
 1,402

V: Return

Marble Pie bounced her hooves as she sat on the ground, behind a large stand at the entrance of the Farmer's Market. The sun had begun to set. Where's Pinkie? Pinkie had been gone for a long while- too long. Marble had begun to worry. It's been almost a half hour. Is she all right?

Unable to wait any longer, Marble stood. She should've been finished talking by now. Marble trotted through the town square. The previously crowded area thinned out with the setting sun. She trotted forwards, towards the Sugarcube Corner.

"I'm telling you-- I haven't seen her."

Marble slowed as she turned the corner. Pinkie was to the right of the empty street, standing in front of the Sugarcube-- Maud! She immediately ducked back behind the wall, her heart pounding.

Marble held her breath, trying to keep herself as quiet as possible. Keep calm- Pinkie would handle it. Surely!

"She had to have come through here. This is the only place she would've gone. I just want to talk to her."

"Marble doesn't even know where I work, she's never been here."

The pair became silent.

"I'm still going to take a look in your shop."

"No. My landlords won't approve of it- you could get me thrown out!"

"Only one way to find out."

The ding of the bell inside the door rung as the door opened. It quickly shut, making another, violent ring. "No." Pinkie said in a stern tone. They became silent again.

"Fine. I'll look through town then." Hoofsteps echoed as Maud trotted away from Pinkie, towards Marble.

I-I have to hide someplace. Marble put her fore-hooves against the ground, pushing upwards. The strength in her hooves had been sapped from her. Move! Her hooves refused to budge, straining as she pressured her trembling hooves up, wobbling under her body weight.

"Marble?"

Marble glanced upwards. Maud stood over her. She stumbled back, whatever strength she had managed to muster up fleeing quickly as she crawled away. No!

"Marble, stop-" Maud grabbed Marble's left fore-hoof, only for Marble to jerk away.

"Pl-please don't take me--" "I'm not going to hurt you, all right? I just want to talk." Maud knelt down to her, gently cupping her left fore-hoof.

"Wha... what?"

"I won't let them get to you too." Maud's eyes darted towards Marble's sling, before turning back up to her. "I see your hoof has been treated."

Marble nodded, sitting up and setting her back against the wall, pulling her hind-hooves up to her chest and crossing her hooves over them.

"I'm guessing Pinkie was responsible for that?"

"Mmhm." Marble nodded.

"Good, good." Maud sat down beside Marble. "I've managed to distract father from you for the past few days, but he's getting impatient..." She pulled back the shoulder of her frock, revealing a purple bruise- almost unnoticeable with the color of her coat.

"Father did..." Marble trailed away. Maud nodded.

How could he... why?

"Limestone-" Marble realized- what if he had hurt Limestone?! She couldn't sit back and let it happen!

Marble tried to stand, only for Maud to keep her sat down.

"Don't worry, he hasn't laid a hoof on her. I've kept her away from this whole thing."

Marble sighed.

"What happened?"

"Nothing over the past few days. Father has been--" "I-I mean, to Pinkie."

Maud glanced away, sighing. She looked nervous- a rare occurrence. A bead of sweat rolled down her right temple as she took a deep breath

"We were poor farmers back then. Barely made any profit from the farm- rocks weren't in demand."

Maud looked up to Marble. She watched on, staring at Maud.

"When Pinkie was born a pegasus, mother and father were surprised. Only your great grandmother was a pegasus out of the whole Pie family tree." Maud said, looking up to Marble. She sighed. "I'm getting off topic... once Pinkie was old enough to fly, she would skip her farm work and only fly around all day, making a mess of the barn while she was at it. And we couldn't afford that back then. I couldn't keep picking up her slack- it was too much to do for me." Her voice remained flat, despite the beads of sweat rolling down her temples. "Father proposed the idea that we... we cut off her wings. I wanted to say no, but I had no say in the matter. His mind was made up, and he told me no matter what, to make sure her wings are cut off."

Maud glanced back momentarily, looking passed the corner and back to Pinkie. She turned back to Marble.

"They drugged her dinner, took her to the barn, and prepared to... do it. Then, at the final moment, father hesitated. Mother refused to do it too, so I-" Maud abruptly stopped, looking away as she closed her eyes taking a few shaken breaths. Marble was taken aback- she had never seen her sister so anxious and nervous, not in her whole life.

"It-it's okay," She put her gently touched Maud's right fore-hoof. "you don't have to tell." Maud glanced up, nodding.

"After everything was done, I had to leave for college the next week, so I-I had no idea what it was like for her in the weeks after." Maud stood, extending her right fore-hoof to Marble. Marble took hold of her hoof, pulling herself up.

"I have to leave if I'll make it back to the farm by tonight."

Marble nodded. Maud began to trot away.

"Why are you helping me?"

She slowed to a stop, before glancing back to her.

"Let's just say I'm trying to keep our family from making the same mistake twice. And repaying an old debt." Maud looked back at the Sugarcube Corner before she turned forwards, trotting away as the last sliver of the shimmering sun dipped under the surface, as the moon began to rise. Marble trotted slowly after her, stopping as she passed the corner. Pinkie looked at Maud, then to Marble, before rushing to her.

"Are you okay?!" Pinkie brought Marble's head to eye level. "Did she do anything to you?!"

"No... no." Marble glanced back up into Maud, in the distance. "She just spoke to me." She was confused. Why wouldn't she just take her away?

"What?" Pinkie seemed as confused as Marble. She turned back, before taking Marble's right fore-hoof.

"Come on, let's get inside before she comes back."

Pinkie rushed into the shop, closing the door behind her. Marble barely kept up with Pinkie as she stepped into the kitchen. She slowed, stopping.

"I think we're good now..." A relieved sigh slipped through Pinkie's lips. "Sorry for rushing you like that. I just- after everything that's happened, I didn't want her near you."

"I know." Marble mumbled. Pinkie yawned.

"I think I'll close the shop and head off to bed. Goodnight Marble." Pinkie turned, beginning to trot away. Marble took a step towards her but stopped suddenly.

Does she even know about it? Marble question. What if she just finds out about it from me and I hurt her? Pinkie trotted out of the kitchen.

She has a right to know... but from me? Marble took another step closer to her. She had little time left to make her decision- every passing second, she was getting farther and farther away.

"P-Pinkie?"

She needs to know.

Pinkie turned back to Marble. "Hm?"

"Er... M-Maud told me what happened."

"What do you mean?" She asked with a smile. Marble's eyes darted to the ground, towards her fore-hooves.

"W... when you were a filly."

The color drained from Pinkie's coat and mane, becoming a darker shade of pink as shock took over her face. Her jaw dropped slightly, as her eyes widened. She sighed, her mane deflating and falling to the right side of her face.

"Oh no..." Pinkie sat at the kitchen table. Marble timidly stepped towards her. "Was that what you saw in the portrait?" She glanced up to Marble. She nodded, taking another step closer. Pinkie sighed, resting her head on the table.

"I wish you wouldn't have found out this way Marble. I'm so sorry." Her voice was muffled and quiet. Marble sat down beside her, rubbing her back.

"It-it's okay. I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"I barely remember it. Only got full recollection of it a year ago. B-before..." Pinkie turned away, sadness overpowering her usually upbeat and energetic mood. "I regret ever learning about it. Maybe- maybe we all would be together if it weren't for my snooping around."

"No-" Marble stood, suddenly filled with courage. She confidently trotted to Pinkie's right side, kneeling down to look in her eyes. "You had a right to know. They were wrong for keeping it from you for so long. Please don't be sad because of their mistake."

Pinkie, with a smile on her face and tears in her eyes, sat up.

"Thank you." She wiped her eyes. "You have to stop taking my job, y'know." Pinkie giggled. She brushed her mane up as the color returned to her. Marble nodded with a smile.

"Come here, we can close up shop together, before dinner. If you want, of course." Pinkie stood, trotting into the kitchen. Marble trotted in behind her.

=================

A Few Hours Later

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

Although I am glad to see Pinkamena's improvements, please, do not allow her near her parents yet. As for Marble, please send her to Canterlot as soon as possible. I'd like to see her as soon as you possibly can get her here. I have much to discuss with her.

-Princess Luna

Pinkie sighed, hanging her head. Twilight Sparkle rolled the letter up.

"I'm sorry Pinkie. I wish I could tell her that she needs more time, but it's an offer she can't refuse."

"No, I get it. Just-- this soon?"

"Princess Luna isn't going to push her, trust me. She'll just speak, I'll stay with her just in case, all right?"

Pinkie remained silent for a moment. She turned, looking up to Marble she slowly trotted up the staircase.

"You're sure Princess Luna won't do anything to upset her?"

"Positive."

Pinkie turned back to Twilight. "All right. You two can leave tomorrow."

"That's fine. I'll let the princesses know."

"And I'll let her know." Pinkie huffed. She isn't going to like this.

=================