• Published 26th Oct 2015
  • 1,150 Views, 28 Comments

A Happy Accident - Thorn



Practising for the next Young Fliers Competition, Rainbow Dash plans to make history by being the first pegasus in living memory to pull off a Double Rainboom. Unfortunately, she crashes into Ponyville's favourite mailmare, the adorable Derpy...

  • ...
2
 28
 1,150

Above the Everfree

Rainbow Dash was hovering above the Everfree, wings absentmindedly beating to keep her in the air while she considered her next move. She was practising for the next Young Fliers Competition, which was to be held in Cloudsdale next month. Sure, last time she’d made an impact. Saving the Wonderbolts like that? The Rainboom? That was awesome.

This time, however... Dash wanted to blow the competition out of the sky. Literally. Which was why she was practising: for the biggest flying innovation since she herself had proven the Rainboom to be more than an old mare’s tale. The Double Rainboom was something she’d never even heard about before Twilight had pulled out one of her musty old books, but now she was determined to try it.

The concept was to complete a normal Rainboom- a task in itself- then to slow down just enough to slip below the sound barrier, then break it again. The problem was, if she slowed down while diving at those speeds she’d rip her wings off. The solution to this was to pull out of the first dive and swerve upwards, losing speed before diving a second time. Twilight had assured her that it should work, but Dash was still a little...apprehensive. Not scared though: she’d never felt more alive than when she was pushing her body beyond the limits of its capability. All the same, she was rather attached to her wings...

“Just do it Dash. You’re the best flier in Equestria after all. Let’s make this 20% cooler.”

She fell out of the sky, diving toward the ground, her whole body somehow tense and relaxed at the same time, her face screwed up against the rapidly increasing pressure, a whining sound in her ears.

Rainbow was ready for it, she could feel it, the sound barrier was about to be SHATTERED by her Rainboom. Suddenly- WHAM! She connected with something soft and warm, and was catapulted backwards up through the sky.

Being Equestria’s greatest flier, she quickly realigned herself, diving to see who she had hit: who had been flying out in the middle of the Everfree forest? She could see a small shape spiralling out of control towards the ground; accelerating, she was able to make out a slight grey figure with a flaxen mane. The pegasus’ wing was bent at an odd angle and she was trying to slow her uncontrolled descent with the other. Dash saw the ground approaching rapidly and knew that the small pegasus would be lucky to survive making impact from this height, at this speed.

Instinctively, she went into freefall, desperately trying to catch up the fragile pony before she smashed into the ground.
At the last second, she swerved towards the pegasus and swiped her out of the sky, a Rainboom trailing behind her, a small bundle of shocked, shivering, but alive mare in her arms.

Having slowed down to a relatively normal speed, her rainbow trail fading, she headed for Ponyville’s hospital, where the mare could get her wing checked. Judging by the angle, and the speed at which they had collided, her wing was broken in at least one place, possibly two.

Dash peeked down at the mare in her arms; it was Derpy, Ponyville’s mailmare and unofficial mascot. Additionally... the cutest mare Dash had ever seen. She was shy, so they hadn’t spoken, but Dash had always wanted to get to know her better .Good job, Dashie. Way to go, she fumed internally, way to pick up a mare. Way to screw up.

Stealing another glance, Dashie realised that the wall-eyed mare was shyly glancing up at her from behind her forelock. When their eyes met, she blushed and looked away, wincing slightly in pain from the motion. Dash automatically re-adjusted her grip and couldn’t help but notice how soft Derpy was.

“I’m so sorry I-“

“Thank you so much for-“

Face burning, Rainbow focused on the rhythm of her wing beats, trying to keep Derpy’s wing from jolting as she flew.
They came to the edge of the Everfree, with Ponyville’s outskirts and the hospital in sight. Dash landed just in front of the double doors, shifted Derpy’s weight primarily to one foreleg and shouldered the doors open with the other.

“Hey! We need a doctor over here!”

A harried looking Nurse Redheart trotted over, muttering
“Most ponies that come here do...
“Bring her over here, Doc will see her right away. You’re lucky it’s a slow day”

Rainbow made to carry Derpy across the waiting room to the door that was being indicated, but was stopped by the Nurse.

“She can walk, can’t she? It’s just the wing?”

Now that the Nurse had pointed it out, Rainbow could suddenly feel how tightly and protectively she was holding Derpy, and how the little mare was actually... holding her back, looking up at her with calm, trusting eyes. As Dash gently lowered her to the ground, lingering just to make sure that Derpy’s hooves supported her weight –and that was the only reason- she felt like she didn’t ever want to let her go.

Derpy stood for a moment, looking adorably woozy, then, whispered while looking at the ground;
“Thank you for saving me. I, umm...”

She quickly leaned up and pecked Dash on the cheek, blushing, and turned and walked through the door, disappearing from view around a corner.

A lightness, a feeling of utter joy, more potent than a Rainboom, better than winning a race or any competition, spread through Dash’s body. She stood there, stunned and smiling, for a while. What would she do now? It was too late to go in after her... she could sit in the waiting room until Derpy came out, but what if they made her stay the night? Just how badly had she injured the little pegasus?

Dash decided she would stay in the waiting room. If Derpy didn’t come out before it closed, she’d come back the next day and ask to see her. Just to see if she’s okay. I wonder if she likes chocolate? Doesn’t she like muffins? A lot? I’ll ask Pinkie Pie to teach me how to make them.

She slouched down in the waiting room, pulled out a hospital copy of Daring Do and the Archaeological Escapades of Awesomeness, and began to read. With the thought of Derpy hurt, it was impossible to stay still and concentrate on the plotline. After a while she put away the book and took to simply staring at the wall. She stayed until the hospital staff forced her to leave.

Author's Note:

Just the usual, guys: first fic ever, please do point out any inconsistencies or mistakes. Hope you liked it!