• Published 26th Oct 2015
  • 1,151 Views, 28 Comments

A Happy Accident - Thorn



Practising for the next Young Fliers Competition, Rainbow Dash plans to make history by being the first pegasus in living memory to pull off a Double Rainboom. Unfortunately, she crashes into Ponyville's favourite mailmare, the adorable Derpy...

  • ...
2
 28
 1,151

And in Her Own Home

“ Fillyfooler!”

Dash cursed as her pleasant, drowsy state was shattered by the shrill squeals coming from outside the house. Couldn't the foal be more considerate of those trying to sleep at this ungodly hour? For Celestia's sake, it was only- she peered blearily at the clock over the door- ten a.m. and an as-yet unidentifiable number of minutes. Ten a.m. was way too early for such a ruckus, what in Equestria were that filly's parents - Dashie's train of thought suddenly jumped the tracks as her brain's machinery was beginning to squeal into motion- ten a.m. was the time Derpy got off work.

With that thought finally piercing the caffeine-deprived fug of her brain, everything seemed to click into place. Kicking off the sheets and scrambling out of bed in an ungainly fashion, she began to canter toward the front door, avoiding the various tables and shelves filled with flowers, books and little works of art that Derpy had strewn all over her house with mixed successes. The clattering of her hooves was echoed at intervals with a crash or the protesting din of furniture thrown hastily to one side. She would have flown, but her wings needed a stretch to work out the stiffness after such a long sleep, and Derpy had had to have some stern words with her about the impracticality of flying inside a house that wasn't made entirely of clouds.

As she rounded a corner in the hallway, she almost ran straight into Derpy, who was standing facing into the cottage, mouth slightly open and tears welling up inside her eyes. Gently scooting past her, Dash stuck her head out of the door and saw nothing but what could be expected in a quiet suburb of Ponyville on a school morning: empty streets, compulsively well-kept lawns and an ever retreating cloud of dust hinting at the rapid retreat of a very intolerant little filly. Resisting the urge to scream certain choice phrases at the dissipating cloud (they were only just back on speaking terms with the neighbors after an embarrassing incident she was still loathe to mention, except to protest that she was entirely innocent of all wrongdoing), she withdrew with a sigh and moved to face Derpy.

Rather than seeing her mare-friend immediately, however, Dash had to look around, and finally down, to see a little puddle of adorable grey misery on the polished floorboards at her feet.

As she knelt beside Derpy, Dash pulled her into a close hug, holding her so tightly she squeaked and burying her own face in that sweet-smelling golden mane. Her stomach and entire torso was churning with an almost overpowering wave of fury, her mind of spinning and wheeling and crashing into the same blank brick wall and her heart was filling with the tears that she wouldn't let leak out of her eyes. For a second she held it in, but then her willpower was overcome and she allowed her own body to shake in concord with Derpy's wracking sobs.

Her marefriend- her marefriend- the sweetest, kindest, most caring and compassionate pony was the only thing this Celestia damned town had going for it. Didn't they realise how lucky they were to even have her here? Her smiles were contagious, her sweet nature touched every pony who saw her and the aura of love that just rolled off her continually made her a animated beam of sunlight. But now this special pony- this pony- was sobbing her heart out on the floor of her own home.

All because of the intolerance of one little filly- and Dash had a very strong idea of who that filly might be. It just seemed so insurmountable- she knew that the scream was the voicing of what most of the town was thinking, and what they were probably saying too.

But then she mentally shook herself, told herself to be strong. Hadn't she been shrugging off similar insults for her whole life? And things were different now, a lot better than they had been before. At least, in some places.

Dash pulled out from the tight hug, and held Derpy at arm's length, looking into her rich caramel eyes which were still glazed over with tears.

"Hey....Hey, shh.... It's okay, it's going to be okay. Someone needs to teach that filly some manners, but that's not important right now. She's not important right now. What is important to me is that you know that I love you.
"That you're not wrong, or cursed, or unnatural because you like mares. There's nothing wrong with me, either. Well- "Here she sniffed, and snickered a little,
"-arguably there are a lot of things wrong with me. But that sure as Tartarus isn't one of them. I'm not ashamed of you, or of how I feel about you. I won't let them make you feel ashamed either, okay?"

Gazing into those sweet, shiny orbs, Dash felt another wave of emotion well inside her, but this time it was quite different: it was soft, and warm, and felt a lot like a tight hug. Leaning in again, she wrapped her special- no, Celestia damn it, her extraordinary - somepony in her arms again, and whispered in her ear conspiratorially:

" 'Sides, you know that Luna likes mares too, and she's a goddess. That's why they're so against it, because in the old days they associated it with Nightmare Moon, but I guess its slipped out of common knowledge. But I know for a fact that it was a part of her identity before and after her banishment, and she's the Goddess of the Moon. She can't be so wrong, can she?"

And giving enough time for Derpy to comprehend what she had said, but not quite enough for her to wonder just how Dash knew the intimacies of Luna's preferences, Rainbow nudged her head around and kissed Derpy on the forehead, and then on the lips.

Author's Note:

Well, there's another one. I guess it's been awhile, but I wasn't really feeling motivated. Something happened today (a few things, I guess), and I just had to let it all out. So I wrote this in 50 mins, I hope that it doesn't have too many continuity/ grammatical errors in it.

If there are any, please do let me know in the comments below. I also hope that you like it, and if anyone reading this is experiencing any kind of discrimination at all, I just want to let you know that Dash's words are my own (and yes, apart from the fact that I wrote them), to you and to everyone.