• Published 21st Oct 2015
  • 1,300 Views, 16 Comments

Welcome to Your Nightmare! - Ganondorf8



Pinkie Pie has a new game for her friends to play, but it's a different kind of game. Over the course of the next hour, they will be experiencing their worst nightmares.

  • ...
6
 16
 1,300

Chapter 1: Before the Game Begins...

Author's Note:

Disclaimer: I do not own anything regarding, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Friendship Games. These are the properties of Hasbro.

And so begins this Halloween themed story using a board game which I own and played many years ago because it was a different kind of game. Hopefully, you'll enjoy the antics that are to happen.

Welcome to Your Nightmare
By Ganondorf8
October 20, 2015
Chapter 1: Before the Game Begins...

Normally, when Pinkie Pie decides to throw a sleepover, she will constantly tell you every last detail about it to the point where she practically spoils it days before it even begins, but this time she has been awfully quiet about it. It's as though something in her brain told her to keep this one secretive from your friends, and surprise them by giving subtle hints as to what kind of fun activities were to be had. My friends and I were invited to her place one night, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Twilight Sparkle... the human version of her, and not the princess from Equestria, and myself, Sunset Shimmer, for she had discovered something which one of her cousins had given to her family some years back, but completely forgot all about it until several days ago.

A Pinkie Pie Sleepover is something you shouldn't take too lightly, for whenever she throws one, you are guaranteed to leave with a smile on your face, and quite possibly a bellyache what with all the food that she prepares which has lead Pinkie to have a certified guarantee in the form of a Pinkie Promise. If you don't leave with a smile, she will have broken her promise, and while the rest of us may not always understand this aspect of her personality, she is dead serious about it which is why we've never questioned it.

In my mind, this was a chance for all of us to enjoy a sleepover, and on the weekend of Halloween no less--Pinkie's favourite holiday next to Easter and Christmas because of all the fun that's involved. It was also a chance for Twilight... the other Twilight... the one from this world, to be able to get to know her new friends better. Since the Friendship Games, she has slowly been coming out of her shell, yet she still shows signs of regression in the form of wanting to bring over so much homework to last her the entire sleepover.

When it comes to bringing the essentials for one of Pinkie's sleepovers, that would consist of a change of clothes, a sleeping bag, something to entertain yourself with, a noise maker for some odd reason, your own basic necessities, and whatever else you think is necessary. This time however, Pinkie wanted us to bring along six specific items which made no sense at all... she wanted an old hat, a cape, bandages, fake teeth, a wig with wavy hair, and for whatever reason... a pacifier.

I didn't understand why she wanted those six items, and that goes for the others as well, yet Pinkie insisted, and who were we to try and understand how she thought at times. Throughout the week leading up to the sleepover, we were all expecting Pinkie to tell us more about what she was planning, yet she was tight-lipped about it. Tight-lipped!?!? Pinkie Pie!?!? That term and her name just don't mesh well together given how much energy she has, so this must be something really big if she has been keeping it so secretive.

And then in the early hours of the evening where all of us had arrived at her place at roughly the same time, we were all excited for the sleepover, yet we were also worried because of how Pinkie had been behaving. I mean, it's just not natural for her to be so passive about something she loves, and for that we were a little hesitant about going inside, but this was our friend here! Pinkie may been acting... differently from her norm--if you can call it that, but I'm sure she had a good enough reason.

" Well, we're all set for this sleepover, but I feel like we're being cheated." Rainbow Dash said as she ran her hand through her hair as a sign of wanting to look cool which was part of her character trait, but her choice of words as always were ones where she speaks before she thinks.

" Cheated darling?" Rarity asked in her usual manner. " Just because Pinkie decided to keep the details of this sleepover a secret doesn't mean she has cheated us! Far from it! She just wishes for us to be surprised this evening, though I must admit that some of her requests are questionable." Rarity then produced one of the six items Pinkie had requested, and the expression on her face was evident to the rest of us. It was one of sheer disgust, for she was holding the wig which goes against her code of ethics as a fashionista. The way she was holding onto it, Rarity wanted to give it to Pinkie at the earliest opportunity.

" You ended up getting the wig?" Rainbow Dash asked with a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

" And believe me when I say that this is perhaps one of the most embarrassing things I've ever done." Rarity answered before we all started to chuckle which caused her to stare at us with a cold expression as though knives had suddenly pierced our hearts.

" Well, I ended up getting the fake teeth courtesy of my Halloween costume from last year." Rainbow Dash said reaching into her pockets, and pulling out a pair of plastic werewolf teeth which looked pretty authentic before putting them into her mouth where she pretended to snarl like an actual werewolf. If she was trying to make us laugh, it wasn't her best attempt, but it's the thought that counts. Rainbow then spat the teeth out which prompted Rarity to stick out her tongue in disgust. " These things make it difficult for me to talk, but I still don't see why Pinkie needed them in the first place. What about the rest of you? Did you get your hands on those items?"

" I... I brought the pacifier." Fluttershy answered in a meek voice. She reached into her pocket, and pulled it out much to our surprise, for we were certain that Pinkie would be the one to have that on her person.

" Wasn't expecting that." Rainbow Dash said folding her arms.

" This belonged to one of the animals down at the shelter who had just recently outgrown it, so I washed it vigorously, and brought it to the sleepover." Fluttershy said, placing the pacifier back into her pocket.

" Well y'all, ah reckon that ah was able ta get my hands on some bandages courtesy of Granny Smith who had some left over. She had bought several cases of bandages for the Apple Family Haunted House, but I reckon she got too many, and ended up with more than she needed. So, she said I could have the rest, so ah brought over some for the sleepover. Still don't quite get what Pinkie needs this fer, but who am I ta question that one?" Applejack asked, dangling some of the bandages in front of her. I remember going to the Apple Family Haunted House last year just after the Fall Formal, and while I enjoyed myself, I wish that I had enjoyed it a little bit more. That's because back then I was just starting to understand friendship, and for me to be invited was like a dream come true.

" Okay, that leaves the hat, and the cape." I said.

" Y'all got the cape or the hat?" Applejack asked.

" I did get this which I happened to find in the Canterlot High Library's Lost and Found Department." I answered, brandishing a rather dusty looking piece of cloth which was in serious need of cleaning. " They said I could have it as no one had bothered to claim it for several months." Rarity kept her distance from the cloth as the sight of it made her feel rather queasy, so I put it back into my backpack so that she wouldn't be offended.

" Still can't believe ya still reside in the library." Applejack said with her eyebrow raised.

" Just taking a cue from Princess Twilight--" I said before quickly covering my mouth due to whose name I just said. The moment my hands were across my mouth, my eyes darted over to where Twilight was standing, and she seemed perfectly fine... at least on the outside. I have to remember that she isn't the same Twilight as the one we've come to know, and that means not comparing them with one another.

" One of these days Sunset, ya really do need a proper place of residency." Applejack.

" It's on my to-do-list, and believe me that list has been getting pretty long." I said sarcastically before turning my attention to Twilight. She had been silent the entire time, and I felt awful about what I said regarding Princess Twilight. I also felt bad for not including her into the conversation as though she didn't exist, so I walked over to her where she took a few steps back due to feeling awkward about being approached in such a manner. " Twilight, did you get the final item Pinkie asked for?"

" What was it again?" Twilight asked having not been paying attention to the discussion.

" We have everything except for the hat." I answered while each of us quickly showcased the other five items in unison.

" I've been so busy with my studies that I didn't really have that much time to look for a hat." Twilight said, resulting in everyone except for me to groan because once again she was fixated on her grades which isn't a bad thing mind you, but she could have spent tonight not worrying about it like it were the end of the world. " However--" Twilight began before reaching into her backpack, and pulling out a tattered old hat which obviously had seen better days. " I did manage to get this from my brother! Who knows why he had something like this to begin with, but he said I could have it for the sleepover."

" Well, that's one way of gettin' one of the items, sugarcube." Applejack said.

" How do you feel about all this?" I asked Twilight.

" It's still pretty new to me Sunset, and I know it will take me a while before I'm finally used to being around other people like this, but it's like what Dean Cadance said to me the day before the Friendship Games... sometimes being around other people helps you understand yourself a lot better." Twilight answered. A warm smile appeared on my face as a sign that Twilight was going to be just fine considering what happened during the finale of the games.

It still frightens me a little--Twilight becoming a demon... just like what I became back when I was the "bad girl" as many labelled me as. Hopefully, this sleepover will allow her to further come out of her shell. " I did bring some homework as well which you all already guessed given your reactions--" Twilight then stopped for everyone groaned again which informed her brain that we weren't aware of that. " Oh... I guess you didn't know, but now you do, so... umm... sorry about that."

" Y'all are just bein' you." Applejack said.

" I do want to have a good time." Twilight said.

" Just enjoy yourself in yer comfort zone sugarcube, and if you desire ta really come out of yer shell, we'll be here waitin' for ya with open arms." Applejack said. Those words were met with sarcastic laughter from Rainbow Dash which prompted all of us to look at her with cold expressions, and she quickly stopped with her mockery. Twilight was going to be just fine at the sleepover, yet it's not out-of-the-realm of possibility for us to give her a little help when it comes to fitting in.

" Okay, we have all of the items Pinkie wanted us to get, so what do you suppose it means?" Rainbow Dash asked. Her answer came in the form of shrugs, confused looks, and even one or two thinking moments which made her sigh in response. " This is why I feel like we've been cheated! Pinkie wanted us to get these, yet she didn't say why, and we'll all look like fools should we have wasted our time getting these." Rainbow then began stomping her foot in frustration, and Rarity walked over to her in an attempt to calm her down, but I suppose she does make a valid point. Pinkie has never been so secretive about a sleepover, or anything for that matter unless it was extremely important, so why decide to keep it all to herself? Her mind can be best described as a party cannon... you never know when it will go off, and what kind of confectionary will come out... actually, her mind is more like a child who is exploring every facet of the world around her, and is in complete awe of it all.

" Shouldn't we head inside now?" Twilight asked. We all started sharing the same embarrassing expression with one another, for we've been out here for about ten minutes now, and Pinkie was probably wondering why we're all outside when we clearly could have entered by now.

" So who wants to knock?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" I did it last time darling, and it wasn't the most gratifying experience." Rarity answered, prompting all of us except for Twilight to laugh. The last time we had a sleepover at Pinkie's house, she had decided to rig the doorbell, all in the name of fun of course, which caused pudding to fall down on top of Rarity. I had never seen her face explode with so much red in her cheeks before, and I remember everyone backed away because they knew how much Rarity cares about her looks. Before going into her usual trope of complaining that her outfit was ruined, and that she had worked hard on it, her face exploded, but not literally as that would have caused more than just a scene. Luckily for us, Rarity started laughing after having her moment, and was in a good mood although Pinkie did have to get all of the stains out using the proper detergent as Rarity only wants what was best for her outfits given how serious she is about them.

" Why don't y'all ring sugarcube?" Applejack suggested to Twilight.

" Why me?" Twilight asked feeling somewhat nervous.

" You're our newest friend darling, and I'm sure Pinkie would be thrilled if you rang the doorbell, for it would be a reminder that you're slowing coming out of your shell. No point in simply hiding behind us, for you do need to get yourself out there!" Rarity answered, pushing Twilight forward gently as a indicator of wanting her to do it. She looked at the rest of us, and we each gave her a thumbs up signalling that we were in agreement... and that she didn't really have much of a choice. Twilight gulped which sounded rather loud given the location of Pinkie's house which was in a rather loud neighbourhood, and she slowly walked up to the door. The door felt intimidating to her judging from her facial expressions, yet it was just a typical door on a typical house in a typical neighbourhood... yeah... on the outside it looked normal, but on the inside... that's where things will get interesting.

" Here goes." Twilight said before pressing the button that activates the doorbell. Ring... ring... ring... giggle... She was taken aback by the last sound from the doorbell which made the rest of us roll our eyes, for we knew Pinkie Pie was just being Pinkie Pie. A few moments later, the sound of footsteps could be heard coming from behind the door, and then it quickly swung open revealing Pinkie, and she looked exhausted as though she hasn't slept in days.

" You all made it!" Pinkie said with her usual joyous tone in her voice.

" Gee Pinkie, y'all look like yer about ta collapse or somethin'." Applejack said.

" I've been working really, really, really hard to make this sleepover the best one we've all had, and it just so happens that I've got a super-duper fun activity that's just perfect given that Halloween is tomorrow night." Pinkie said, a big grin flashing across her face as though she were either excited, trying to hide something, or was trying to get into the spirit of the occasion. Ushering us into her house, we all made our way to the living room, and our jaws dropped at what we were seeing.

" So this is your secret?" I asked.

" Sorry if I didn't want any of you to know what I was planning, but if you did know then it wouldn't have been much of a secret now would it? I found this board game up in the attic when I was trying to find some decorations for the Apple Family Haunted House, and when I stumbled upon this, I was all like WOW! HOW COME WE FORGOT THIS WAS EVEN UP HERE! I was so nervousited that I just had to read up on every last shred of information that I could find." Pinkie answered, almost forcing herself to start foaming at the mouth what with being excited about finding this game.

" But why the set up darling?" Rarity asked.

" According to some of the more advanced rules, you're supposed to turn the lights down, turn the volume up, and make sure that everyone who's playing are seated around a table for maximum effect. It also recommends players dress up as the characters to add more authenticity to it." Pinkie answered.

" That explains the extra items." I said.

" Did you manage to get those? Huh? Did you? Did you?" Pinkie asked. We each took out our respective items... the hat, cape, bandages, teeth, wig, and pacifier before placing them onto the table, and Pinkie's reaction was one of sheer joy as confectionary suddenly came out of nowhere as though we had just won some kind of prize. " Wow! I'm totally amazed that you were able to get these, and on such short notice." Pinkie quickly ran to the kitchen, and came back seconds later with a large chest before dropping it onto the ground with a loud thud which almost caused everything on the table to fall over. " I thought Rarity would have brought along some costumes, but then I just-so-happened-to-have-this-chest-filled-with-spooky-costumes."

" I don't have any 'spooky' costumes." Rarity said.

" Umm... I'm not sure I like the idea of wearing anything scary." Fluttershy said meekly.

" And I do have some homework I need to complete." Twilight added.

" This game only takes an hour to play." Pinkie said, grabbing the back of a large cardboard box before presenting it to all of us. " See, this game is called Nightmare, and the main gimmick is you use a VHS cassette in order to play the game as it's all interactive." Pinkie then showed us a tape which must have been at least 20 years old or more, but what was surprising is that she even had something which can play it.

" So how do you play?" Rainbow Dash asked, looking rather impatient.

" First, we have to choose our playing pieces, and then choose a number from between one and six. All of this is placed into a bag, and a random player hands out a playing piece, and a number piece which slides into the bottom of the playing piece. We can use our own names as the names of these pieces to make it feel like we're the ones actually there in the world of this game. There is this one character, the Gatekeeper, who rules the game, and is determined to make sure no one succeeds." Pinkie answered. We all scratched our heads, for this wasn't the kind of board game we were thinking of, but she insisted that it would be a lot of fun.

" All right, we'll play." I said prompting everyone else except Twilight to nod in agreement.

" But, there are seven of us, and only six characters which means someone has to be left out." Twilight said. We all went silent for her words were true, and that didn't settle well with Pinkie, for she wanted all of us to enjoy the game together. That's when she came up with an ideal solution, but I don't think Twilight and I were ready for what she had to say about it. " You and Twilight can share the same playing piece Sunset!" I hope she wasn't implying anything here, yet while everyone else just laughed at the notion, Twilight blushed, and began fiddling about with her hair while I gave a cold expression to Pinkie causing everyone to become silent.

" Why have us pair up?" I asked, and my words caused Twilight to recoil in slight bewilderment.

" You two have a lot in common if you know what I mean." Pinkie answered, winking in the process. I know what she was referring to, but even if she was being subtle about it, did she have to remind us of what we once became due to becoming consumed with magic? I turned my attention to Twilight who nodded her approval of us using the same character, and it prompted me to do the exact same thing.

" Well, that was easy enough ta sort out." Applejack said.

" We'll start the game in about ten minutes, for we need to pick our pieces, our numbers, place all of these cards onto the board, write down our deepest fears on the back of these cards--" Pinkie said before being cut off by Fluttershy.

" WHAT!?!?"

" We have to write down our deepest fears." Pinkie said.

" Why do we have to do that?" Fluttershy asked.

" It's all to do with the game silly, and besides you don't tell anyone what your fear is anyway. You just write it down, shuffle the cards together, and place them in the center of the board. In order to win, you need to collect six different keys. Once you have them, you make your way to the center of the board where you have to face your greatest fear." Pinkie answered before having to take a sip of water due to saying so much.

" And those other cards?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" Those are there to further enhance the playing experience. Maybe we should spend an extra ten minutes going over the rules, for I don't think my voice can handle anymore explanations." Pinkie answered before taking another sip.

" It kind of reminds me of some of the magic games we used to play back in Equestria," I began which prompted everyone to look at me with blank expressions. " I know I've not said much about the world I'm from, but we used to play a game which took roughly an hour, and the aim was to see who had the best magic."

" Sounds like fun." Pinkie said.

" Sounds lame." Rainbow moaned.

" Granted, it did get repetitive after a while as we all had to use the same magic spells so that we wouldn't endanger everypony... everybody, but the point was having fun while learning to better control your magic." I said. Pinkie then began jumping up and down as though she were a sugar rush, and began saying that this was going to be a really enjoyable game. Since we all agreed to play, we pretty much know what we're going to be doing for the next hour. Hopefully, this game will be a fun experience...