• Published 30th May 2012
  • 3,713 Views, 56 Comments

From the Ashes - Benjamin Lawe



A shadow falls over Canterlot as old wounds are opened, and a tradgedy best left buried re-emerges.

  • ...
9
 56
 3,713

Chapter 12: Destination Unknown

From the Ashes

Chapter 12: Destination Unknown

“You must be joking.” Marco said in disbelief, “I haven’t got time for this! Just let me through!”


The flustered earth pony stood in one the uppermost spires of the royal palace, just outside the castle’s own dedicated library. And as one might expect of the recently declared ‘off-limits’ parts of the palace, it was not without security.

“Sorry sir.” the immovable night guard replied, he and his partner keeping the door behind them blocked off with their interlocked wings, “Our orders were to not allow entrance to unauthorised ponies.”

“I’m authorised!” Marco insisted, “Please... won’t you please move?”

“So you do have authorisation?” the guard raised an eyebrow, “If you were permitted access, then you should have been supplied a password to gain entrance.”

“Password?” Marco repeated, “Oh for the love of... you guards actually still use that playground bull-”

Just let him in please.” a muffled, but familiar voice called out from the other side of the door, “He’s allowed.

Marco exhaled as the guards’ wings withdrew, letting him pass without a word. He was tempted to waltz on cockily past the once stubborn ponies whop had denied him entrance, but for now he was more concerned with what he had come for having recognised the voice on the other side of the door.


Twilight!” he called as he opened the door wide, “Boy, am I glad to see you!”

“Oh, Marco...” the unicorn replied, embracing the stallion the moment he entered, “Thank goodness you’re okay. I heard what happened.”

“Hey, that’s my line.” Marco’s voice dropped from relief to mild worry, “Why aren’t you in the hospital with the others? You’re supposed to still be in recovery ward...”

“Well, according to their records, I am.” Twilight smiled lightly, “And just because I’m a little stiff, it doesn’t make my brain any worse for wear. So I’m sure you’ll understand why I couldn’t wait around once you come in and see this...”

At her prompt, Marco followed Twilight’s lead as she guided him into the main body of the library. As a fellow bookworm, the stallion was quickly captivated by the spectacle. Shelves were stacked to heights impossible for an earth pony, and the cylindrical chamber in which they were held, as one would expect of a wing of the royal palace, was awe-inspiring. The deep brown of the cured oak stocks contrasted well with the shining white marble floor, and the higher parts of the shelves were illuminated by resonating magical crystals.

“Marco, there’s somepony here I want you to meet.” Twilight stopped him as they neared a reception desk of sorts, motioning to the mare pouring over some sort of text, “This is Pastel Pride, the caretaker of this library. She’s been a great help to us here.”

“Hmn...” Pastel mumbled, not looking up from her book for a moment, “Oh, so sorry! Um, Hi. Yes, that’s me, Pastel Pride! Nice to meet you, er... Marco? Right? Twilight’s told me a bit about you.”

The stallion delayed a moment as he tried to translate the earth pony’s mixed-up speech. “Has she?” Marco asked, eyebrow raised, “That’s, well... unsettling.”

“Oh, don’t be like that.” Twilight deflated, “If anything, the one thing she’s been hung up on is the fact she’s not the only earth pony bookworm in the world...”

“And from the country no less.” Pastel chuckled to herself, “And I thought I had it rough growing up like this in the city. Ah, well I suppose the princess did get me fired from my last job, but she got me this gig so it’s not all bad.”

Twilight took stance beside Pastel. “Anyway, as I already said, she’s been a big help.” she said, patting the mare affirmingly on the back, “She has every book in here categorised from cover to cover after all!”

“Well, doesn’t that make us peas in the proverbial pod?” Marco smiled as he looked up once more the shelves stretching up to the ceiling, “There’s enough books in here to keep three ponies busy for the rest of their lives...”

“Actually, there’s still one missing.” Twilight hinted, “You see, there was somepony else I wanted to introduce you to.

“Hey, Pastel.” she continued, turning to the earth pony beside her, “Where did Torrin get to?”

Where did he get to?” she repeated, apparently questioning the meaning of asking such a thing, “Where didn’t he get to? I swear, that child is a colt possessed! One minute he’s tossing rejects from the damn rafters and the next he’s hunkered down here, pouring over a damn picture book like its the key to his little mystery!”

“I told you that this prophecy stuff was weird.” Twilight replied flatly, “Torrin might be a bit erratic when he thinks he’s on to something, but at least it gets results.”

Erratic?” Pastel questioned Twilight's word choice once more, “Come on Twi, his needle’s flippin’ jumped! Seriously, what would you rather rely on? The whim of some kid, or hard research?”

“Why not both?” Marco proposed, re-establishing his presence by butting in on the girl’s discussion, “I’ve actually been meaning to talk to the child. Can you guys show me to him?”

“Pft, fine.” Pastel conceded, brushing past Twilight on her way out from behind her desk, “I think he was over here somewhere. Don’t dawdle.”


As she escorted Marco and Twilight behind the closest circle of bookshelves, the latter lent in on the former as he continued his amazement of the grand library.

“I actually think you’re going to like Torrin.” Twilight whispered, “He’s an earth pony too you know. And forgive me if I’m out of line here, but he’s probably a lot like you were when you were a colt.”

“Has he been able to tell us anything about what we should do next?” Marco asked, “I mean, do we have any more leads on the second hero?”

“It’s kind of touch and go at the moment.” she replied, “You’ll understand once you see him.”

“The kid reckons he keeps seeing the next town in his head, is what she means.” Pastel Pride added from the front, rewording Twilight’s vague response, “I caught him trying to draw it on one of our two copies of the ‘pre-classical archive of magic-powered combination locking schematics’. Apart from the fact he can’t draw to save his life, all you need to know is he keeps seeing a desolate village, raging stormy skies, and lots of snow. All in his mind, naturally.”

“Seriously?” Marco replied, “That sounds a whole lot like where Dash and I just came from. Actually, that sounds exactly like where we came from.”

“Wow.” Pastel said, “A bit late on that one then I suppose.”

“Hrm, even if he’s seeing Hordimare, it still proves that he has visions about these things.” Twilight retorted optimistically, “As far as I know, you two have been in here almost since the moment he arrived. There would be no other way for him to know about where you guys were or what was happening.”

“What about our letters?” Marco proposed, “We wrote to you a few times telling your group what was happening on our end, is it possible he read our messages?”

“No, I don’t remember him ever...” Twilight seemed to pause, “Honestly, I don’t know. But he wouldn’t be pretending-”

“The kid’s father was kidnapped wasn’t he?” Marco cut her off, never to be the one to shy away from the hard questions, “Children are smarter than you might think Twilight. If he was desperate enough to get him back, it would be understandable if he took desperate steps.”

“Stop it Marco.” Twilight shook her head, “You should meet Torrin first before you start making these kinds of-”

“Hey, there you guys are!” a small voice exclaimed from behind the trio, heralding the arrival of the colt in question, “I’ve been looking-”

Torrin stopped dead to see a stranger standing by Twilight and Pastel. Cautiously, he rounded his way in behind Pastel, peeking childishly at the stallion from behind the safety of her creamy white legs.

“Good timing kid, we were just talking about you.” Pastel Pride remarked as she stared down at the colt using her body as a shield, “This is that ‘Marco’ guy we talked about.”

“Ah-huh.” Torrin acknowledged, not emerging from the apparent safety of his cover, staring at the stallion with suspicious eyes, “I remember.”

The group went silent as another moment of thoughtful glaring passed, until finally Torrin emerged wilfully out from behind his protector. “This is that pony you thought might be the third hero.” the child tapped at his muzzle sagely, “Lawmark from New Eureka right?”

“Yes, that’s right...” Twilight replied carefully, “Can you tell if he-”

“He’s not one of the heroes.” Torrin cut her off, “I don’t sense anything.”

“You really don’t mess about do you kid?” Pastel remarked, stunned somewhat by how direct the colt’s claim was, “Any normal pony would let someone off gently.”

“Sorry...” the little earth pony scuffed his mane as re rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment, “Should I try it again?”

“No.” Pastel rolled her eyes, “That would make it worse.”

“Wow, I was so sure that it might have been you...” Twilight found herself disbelieving, “But Marco, this is actually good news for you right?”

“It sure is.” he replied, “But that’s only if this kid’s prophet status is legit.”

Oh! That reminds me!” Torrin practically jumped at the implication, “Twilight, I figured out where the hero is!”

As the colt bounded over to Twilight in enthusiasm, Marco and Pastel swapped a quick look. They seemed to be thinking the same thing.

“Come on!” he insisted, “This is why I came looking for you anyways! Follow me!


With their tongues held and minds relatively open, Pastel and Marco obliged Torrin as he led them and Twilight back the way they had come. The circled back past the reception desk, the three bigger ponies walking awkwardly to keep up with the canter of a tiny colt.

But as it appeared Torrin was leading them into the creative non-fiction section of her library, Pastel Pride could stay silent no longer.

“What the heck have you been reading kid?” she asked as she became convinced nothing solid could be found among the books here, “It’d be a bit too convenient if this second hero pony had an autobiography here...”

“Wait and see...” Torrin replied confidently as he scanned the floor surrounding him as he searched for where he had been previously, “Ah, there it is!”

Twilight saw the book first, lying inconspicuously open at the foot of one of the giant shelves. Without a word to the others, she slid her hoof under the open cover and shut it, revealing the face of the tome for all to see.

“Oh hey... would you look at that.” Pastel remarked, her tone humourlessly deadpan, “The second hero just so happens to be the most famous unicorn in all of history. It’s a real shame that Starswirl the Bearded died well over a millennium ago. A millennium is a thousand years just so you know-”

“I know what a millennium is!” Torrin cut her off, “And no, Starswirl isn’t the second hero! The reason why I wanted to show you this is because this book has got the place I keep seeing; the place where the second hero is!”

“Did Starswirl ever go to Hordimare?” Marco asked, his own knowledge of the famous conjurer's history insufficient to answer it himself.

“Actually, he did.” Pastel jumped in, somewhat pleased with herself to be able to shed light, “Not long after he became a world-renowned expert on magic phenomena, he was a part of an expedition to locate a mythical creature that apparently fell from the stars and inadvertently and positively wrecked they tiny town and split the ground under ‘em approximately four kilometres straight down-”

“I’m not talking about Hordimare!’ Torrin protested, flicking the pages in the biography close the very beginning, “I’m talking about his birthplace! Which, if you didn’t know, is the place where he was-”

“Don’t get cheeky with me you brat...” Pastel practically popped a vein to hear her own condescension mirrored by a child, “Just tell us what the town was called.”

“Mistmantle.” Marco said, Torrin and Pastel turning to see that the stallion now held the book open before his own eyes, “Oh wow... a fitting birthplace for someone like him.”

“What do you mean?” Pastel questioned, “Do you already know that village or something?”

“How could you not?” Twilight spoke for him, “And it’s more of a fortress than a village. Like the story of Starswirl implies, it has been there for over a millennium, yet the same awesome structures still stand.”

“Apparently every building is some kind of super dense granite, made to withstand even the mot chaotic weather.” Marco joined in, “And the place was built on the side one of the tallest mountains in Equestria so its safe to say it’s seen it all. Apart from being famed as the birthplace of Starswirl the Bearded, Mistmantle has provided the world with the most innovative and progressive weather experts ever known.”

“Even so, it’s a totally recluse town.” Twilight nodded, taking back the reigns, “For such a historical and amazing place, nopony really ever visits. Don’t get me wrong, they apparently love tourists, but it’s just an impossible place to get to. The entire mountain is surrounded by raging storms every minute of every day.”

“The most fascinating thing of all is that the entire population are unicorn.” Marco jumped in again, “Pegasi and earth ponies just can’t survive the merciless weather, but the unicorns go so far as to master it. Funnily enough, unicorns born in Mistmantle commonly live their whole lives there. Unless they can hone their magic enough so that they can brave the storm alone, it’s impossible for them to leave.”

“Anyway...” Torrin interjected, seeing no end to the lecture, “This Mistmantle place is, without a doubt, where the unicorn hero is.”

“Hey Twilight...” Marco cocked his head, “Do you remember what the prophecy said about the second hero?”

“Hrm, let me think.” Twilight replied, pausing momentarily, “I think it was... ‘The second is a unicorn, unmatched in the realm of the mental. He commands the wrath of elements not through might, but aptitude. He is an outcast, yet his life’s work is the protection of his people, and the world at large. He will answer the call of duty, and seek to become that for which he is destined.’ How’s that?”

“Uh... perfect?” Marco stuttered, stunned somewhat, “Are you sure you didn’t miss anything?”

Twilight responded just by narrowing her eyes slightly.

“Okay, okay...” he said defensively, “I get it. But listening to that, I can’t help but wonder; If Mistmantle really is where we’ll find the hero, I can’t imagine him being anything other than one of the weather ponies the place is famed for.”

“Hrm, yeah I understand what you mean.” Twilight nodded in agreement, “The wraith of the elements not through might, but aptitude... it basically translates as weather manipulation through science.”

“It would also explain how he protects his people.” Marco added, “Keeping the storm at bay comes to mind. Though I’m not sure how that makes him a ‘protector for the world at large’...”

“Hey, um... Pastel?” Twilight changed her tone, “Would you mind taking Torrin for a sec? There’s something I need to talk to Marco about...”

“Sure, I guess.” the earth pony shrugged, “Come on kid, the big ponies wanna chat.”

Torrin followed Pastel Pride tentatively, throwing the odd curious look every few steps before he disappeared around the next corner.

“So you’re thinking it too huh?” Marco asked once he thought they were safe to speak freely, “I guess we’re on the same page today...”

“Considering what’s going on at the moment, we’re not allowed to waste too much time.” Twilight said seriously, “As it stands, we’re being dangerously dependant on the word of Torrin. I don’t like to admit it, but if his visions or whatever you want to call it are bogus, we’re going to be back at square one.”

“Yes, we’ve been faithful this far because we’ve also been relying on other means, but this time his word is all we’ve got.” Marco agreed, “We need to prove he’s got the power before we can act on his visions.”

“I have to say that I do believe in him, but with so much at stake, a leap of faith won’t cut it.” Twilight replied, her tone conflicted, “The problem is, we don’t have any way to conclusively determine whether or not his visions have anything to them.”

“Actually, I do have an idea.” Marco lent in ever so subtly, “An experiment, if you will.”

“Really?” Twilight asked, “What are you planning?”

“Twilight, as you no doubt know, the essential element of any experiment is the control group.” Marco replied, “I need you to fill that role.”

“I don’t understand...” Twilight frowned, “What do you want me to do?”

“Stay with Torrin a little while longer, and work with Pastel to piece together whatever you can in regards to the prophecy.” Marco instructed, being careful with his words, “I’ll be going now, but I will come back and take you guys with me to the night palace for the briefing thing Luna has planned for us. I’ll handle everything else.”

“I can’t say I understand, but okay.” Twilight said tentatively, “Does that mean you’re heading back now?”

“Technically, I was only allowed to leave the hospital so I check to see if you were, well... alive.” Marco replied sheepishly, “But now I’ve got to organize this little test.”

“Just one more thing then, before you go...” Twilight stopped him, “Did you talk to Applejack when you were seeing the others? When I left she had already woken up.”

“Um, yes, I talked her.” Marco answered, the topic taking him by surprise, “They didn’t let me stay long, but why do you ask?”

“Did my name come up at all?” Twilight ventured, her intention ambiguous, “You know, in any significant way?”

“Nothing stuck out if that’s what you mean.” Marco was quick to answer again, but found his concern stall him somewhat, “What’s with you all of a sudden?”

“I guess she left it up to me then...” she said to herself, “One last question please Marco. Have you decided if you are going to help search for the second hero?”

“Yes, I’m going to do my bit.” he replied, “I’ve already gotten mixed up in it all, and while I’m less sure I’m directly involved, I may as well see it through to its finish.”

“I see...” Twilight vocalized her thoughts once more, “But be honest with me Marco. Why?

“Heh, one more question eh?” Marco let out a single laugh, “Then I’ve got one for you. Did anyone tell you about what happened at the palace yesterday?”

“Yes, I wouldn’t leave it alone until they explained it to me fully.” Twilight acknowledged his deviation from her question, “Why do you ask?”

“It was harder than usual for me to sleep when I got to thinking about what happened there.” he begun, “Specifically, those two girls, the ones who obtained that strange ability. It scared me just how much damage they did, how close they came to killing so many...

“Just how easily it could have been me in their place... I couldn’t ignore it.” Marco continued solemnly, “If they somehow knew who I was and what I wanted before I encountered you and your friends, I... I would’ve paid the price. I would have let them, no... I would have begged them to make me into a monster like that. Just so I could...”

He trailed off. The rest didn’t need to be said anyway. It had been discussed to death already, and nothing signalled the issue’s demise quite like his current actions and disposition. Cooperating and willingly working beside Luna was proof enough for Twilight that the past was long buried, but no matter how much she wanted to deny it, the whole thing stunk of an attempt at redemption.

“Marco, you don’t need to put yourself in any more danger.” Twilight voiced her concern, “Not if all you’re doing is trying to make up for the past. I don’t want... nobody wants you at risk if it’s only because of redemption.”

“Don’t misunderstand Twilight.” Marco said evenly, “I do desire forgiveness, and that compels me to do this. But I’m not looking for Luna’s, or yours, or your friend's... I have to do this for me. For my sake.

“And it’s not like that’s the only reason anyway.” he continued, his serious aura dropping, “I have friends taking the same stand as me, and I’m not about to falter when they’re the ones taking all the hits. If anything, this needs to be done, and I’m more than happy giving my share and more if it means things can go back to the way there were.”

“I can’t believe it...” Twilight sighed as she let the heavy atmosphere deteriorate, “Applejack had you completely figured out.”

“A.J huh?” Marco smiled somewhat, “So that’s why you asked if she mentioned you...”

“Actually, no.” Twilight became serious once more, “If she hadn’t told you, then it was up to me.”

“Told me?” Marco repeated, not understanding, “I’m not following you...”

“No, it us following you.” Twilight twisted his words, “Applejack was already convinced, but now that I have heard it from your mouth, we will be going with you in pursuit of the second hero.”

“Twilight, you know I can’t let you do that.” Marco shook his head ever so subtly, “I... I...

He trailed off once more, but not because Twilight cut him off. Any reason he could conjure up to reject her would contradict his own justifications. Seeing him at a loss, the unicorn smiled to know she had him cornered.

“We’re all in this together Marco.” Twilight pushed, “You obviously want to keep our friends out of harms way, but they’re my friends too. And after what happened at Appleoosa, I’ve realized that the only way to do that is to help one another.

“You need our help.” she continued, driving it home, “And neither Applejack nor I are about to let you stop us from giving it.”

“When you guys are certain on something its impossible for you to budge huh?” Marco sighed, giving up, “But you’re right. Sorry.”

“Sometimes it’s better to be firm right?” Twilight erased all the tension with a carefree smile, “Go on, you’re running out of time to organize your little experiment.”

“Then if you’ll excuse me.” Marco turned, “Please don’t push yourself too hard.”

* * * *

“Heya sugarcube.” Applejack grunted as she re-entered the all too familiar hospital suite, “How’s she holdin’ up?”

Fluttershy didn’t reply. Seated by Rarity’s bedside, the pegasus rested with her eyes peacefully closed and an open magazine across her lap. Noticing that she was asleep, Applejack kept quiet as she continued inside.

“Look's like I just missed Pinkie...” she said to herself as she sat down and noticed that the seat was still warm, “Been wondering where she went off to.”

The earth pony continued to ponder for a moment before she got up with a pained grunt and took two slow steps closer to her friend's bedside. She stared in silence for a moment, then sighed softly and closed her own eyes.

“Oh, Rarity...” she whispered as she stood over her unconscious friend, “I hope you’ll be up again soon. I’m so sorry.”

“For what?” Fluttershy startled Applejack as she roused, “It’s not your fault.”

“But it is.” the earth pony replied solemnly, “Twilight already figured out why she’s in such bad shape while us two got off easy. She reckons Rarity was quick enough to save us with her totem magic but couldn’t manage one for herself. If she had been standing where I’d been standing, I don’t think...”

“I still don’t think you should be saying sorry.” Fluttershy looked down, “Instead, you should probably be thankful. If anyone should be sorry-”

“You don’t even have to say it sugarcube.” Applejack cut in, her tone even, “I’ll never forgive that monster. He won’t get away with doing this to our friend.”

Her resolve voiced, Applejack snapped back to reality to notice Fluttershy was quiet. And while she was almost always quiet, she was quick to tell that it wasn’t the normal kind.

“Okay Fluttershy...” Applejack voiced her concern, “What’s the matter?”

“I’m just so ashamed that I couldn’t do anything.” she confessed, “I mean, everypony else was in such a tough spot... and all Pinkie and I could do was run around crying, letting the others get hurt while we-”

Fluttershy was cut right off when Applejack jabbed her lightly in the forehead, flicking her as if she was disciplining some small critter. “Stop talking like that.” she told her off, her tone flat, “Remember what Twi said back when we were still neck deep in that mess? There’s always gonna be things you can and can’t do. I can’t fly, I’m not the brightest bulb, and sometimes I’m too stubborn for my own good.

“More than a few times you’ve kept me from doing something we know I shouldn’t, and you’re more level-headed than you let on, that’s for sure.” she continued, her honesty flaring, “So what if you can’t fight? We’re a team, and friends to boot. I’ll do what you can’t, and in return, you’ll do what I can’t.

“And by the way, that goes for all of our friends too.” Applejack raised her friend’s downcast muzzle herself, “Twilight, Rarity here, Pinkie, Dash, Marco, and even Luna have weaknesses. And if you think any of ‘em would get very far without your help, you’re kidding yourself.”

“I guess you’re right...” Fluttershy’s tone brightened slightly, “Thanks Applejack.”

“That’s more like it.” Applejack smiled wide, “Who in the hay got you talking that nonsense anyway?”

“I, uh... um...” the pegasus’ tone dampened once more, “Have you... met Tager yet?”

“You talking ‘bout that hero girl that Dash and Marco brought back?” Applejack questioned, “I’ve been cooped up here since we got back, so I can’t say I’ve seen her. Why?”

“She was here with Dash before, on her way to visit the captain I think...” Fluttershy’s tone was ambiguous, “So yeah. I met her...”

“What does that have to do with-” Applejack cut herself off, “Oh. I heard she wasn’t the softest pony around, but... what did she say to you sugarcube?”

“I...” Fluttershy’s head dropped once more, “You don’t want to know.”

“Oh, I most definitely do want to know.” Applejack grimaced, “Is she still in the hospital? I oughta give her a piece of my mind!”

“Here’s your chance.” a foreboding voice called out from behind, “I’m guessing you’re Applejack?”

The earth pony snapped around to find the maroon-coated pegasus only a few paces behind her. In turning to look at her head on, they ended up practically face to face.

“Tager right?” Applejack held firm, “The supposed first hero...”

“That’s me, I guess.” Tager replied, Applejack's tone not lost on her, “What’s the beef cowgirl?”

“What’re you doing back here?” Applejack shot a look to the silent Fluttershy as she skipped the question, “If you don’t mind my asking...”

“Dash ditched me, and I thought she would be here or something.” Tager didn’t seem to mind dropping the subject either, “You wouldn’t know where she wound up would you?”

“Beats me.” Applejack replied, “I haven’t seen her since morning.”

“Really?” Tager looked up as if in thought, “I guess that means she decided to go back to Hordimare already, even thought I told her G could manage by herself...”

“I think I know Dash pretty well, and she’s not one to just up and leave without a word to her friends.” Applejack responded, a hidden meaning to her words, “Why would you think she’s gone and flown off?”

“No, no... you’re probably right.” Tager countered, “It’s just that she gave me this and zipped off without a word.”

As she spoke, Tager produced a familiar looking necklace. With a deep purple gemstone inlaid in the centre, Applejack recognised it as one of the two Luna had given, which made it the remaining one that Dash had been carrying the entire time.

“She told me to give it to Marco before she went.” she continued, “Which is convenient, ‘cause I had something to ask him myself. You wouldn’t know where he is would you?”

“Last I heard he was headed to the royal palace.” Applejack answered, a hint of confusion contaminating her once stern tone as she wondered on why Dash had tasked Tager with passing on Luna’s amulet, “He’s uh, probably still up in the library wing.”

“Urgh, a library?” Tager groaned, “Well, I guess it beats staying here.”

“Then you might as well get going.” Applejack snapped, eying the still silent Fluttershy by Rarity, “You ain’t doing anypony any good hanging around here.”

“Tsk, whatever.” Tager turned back towards the door, Applejack’s attitude tiring her more than anything, “Later.”


Emerging from the double doors of the large hospital, Tager squinted against the sudden light, her eyes panning the Canterlot skyline as she wondered if she should have asked just where to look for the library Marco was at.

“What a pain in the ass.” she sighed as the extent of her predicament set in, “The hell is that guy doing anyway?”

Tager made to take wing and search out her destination from the skies, but she paused to hear a shout come her way from the murmur of the passing city crowds. She scanned for a moment before stretching her wings out once more.

“Must be my imagination.” she muttered, disregarding the sound, “Guess I’m still not used to city noise-”

Hey!” she heard the shout again, recognising the voice this time, “Tager! Wait up!”


Waving his hoof in the air as he burst from the crowd, Marco galloped on up the front of the hospital, panting as he made it just in time to stop the pegasus from flying off. He sat down as if to recover, his loaded saddlebags coming to rest at his side.

“What the hell?” Tager asked the breathless figure, “I was about to go looking for you. Why’d you come running?”

“That’s funny, I actually needed to find you too.” Marco replied, regaining his breath, “This was the only place in the city I could think of that you might be at.”

“Lucky you then I guess.” Tager replied, stopping for a moment to negotiate something out from underneath her hard leather hide, “But before I forget, I’ve got a present for you.”

Marco watched curiously as she pulled out Luna’s magical amulet and threw it to his hooves. He didn’t wait around before picking the thing up and holding it before his eyes, studying it intently.

“This isn’t a new one or anything is it?” he questioned, “No, its definitely the one Dash was wearing. Why did she give it to you?”

“Who knows?” Tager shrugged, “I don’t know where she’s flown off to either, she just asked me to pass it to on you.”

“Weird.” Marco commented, not putting on the amulet, instead pocketing it in a special seam on the saddlebags, “Anyway, now that you’ve brought it up, I’ve kinda got a, uh... ‘present’ for you too.”

“Oh?” Tager grinned despite herself, “So that’s what the stuffed pack is for?”

“Y-yeah.” he stuttered forebodingly, “Just promise you won’t freak out or anything okay?”

“What’s your deal?” Tager questioned with a raised eyebrow, putting her front hoof on top of the bag and sliding it over so that she could look inside, “Getting all nervous all of a sudden, a girl might think-”

Tager stopped short as she revealed his supposed gift. “Ah, Marco... you shouldn’t have.” she smiled as if to lower his guard before adopting the most enraged scowl he’d seen on her yet, “You really fucking shouldn’t have...”

“Now, hold on Tager...” Marco backed up cautiously, “Let me explain-”

Who the fuck do you think you’re talking to?!” the pegasus roared, cutting his explanation right off, “You’re just gonna walk on up and drop this shit on me?! I’ve been happy enough tagging along while you an’ Dash play hero, but that can change pretty damn fast!”

“Listen to me!” Marco spoke up, “You think I’d risk driving you off on something like this if it wasn’t absolutely necessary?!”

Necessary?” Tager repeated, “Don’t fuck with me! If you’re gonna say that you better be damn sure to back it up!”

“I told you to let me explain!” Marco raised his voice once more to match her, “And you promised not to freak out!”

“No I didn’t, you just said I had to.” Tager settled somewhat, “Anyway, I’m waiting to hear your stupid reasons. But I’m warning you, don’t try to mess with me...”

“Okay, okay...” Marco held his hooves up disarmingly, “Do you remember when we talked about that prophecy stuff and the guy who wrote it?”

“Oh, that?” she looked up as if thinking, “Nope. I don’t remember.”

“I guessed as much...” Marco sighed to himself, “Honestly, one can only wonder what kind of stuff actually makes it through that thick skull of yours...”

“Grr... aren’t you getting off topic?” Tager growled, “I told you, don't mess with-”

Anyway...” Marco cut her off for his own good, “We’ve all got an appointment at the night palace in a few hours, and so far, what we’re going to do next hinges on the words of the colt who wrote the prophecy.”

“I don’t see what this has to do with, ergh... ‘that’.” Tager grimaced as she nudged the contents of the saddlebag, “You can stop right there if this has anything to with me going before the friggin’ princess.”

“Just listen will you?” Marco replied agitated, “As far as the stuff with the kid and his visions go, I’m sceptical. He claims to have written the prophecy, and claims to be able to sniff out the heroes, but as long as it is possible he isn’t genuine, we can’t plan our next steps based on what he says. Not without proving he can recognise a hero.

“That’s what that stuff is for.” Marco gestured at the saddlebags by Tager’s hooves, “I’m supposed to go to the library and bring Twilight and the child to the night palace, and along the way I aim to prove that he can or can’t tell a hero apart from the usual Canterlot crowd.

“Of course, that’s where you come in.” he continued, “However, you can’t be seen as you are now, because let’s face it, you’re nothing like the usual Canterlot crowd. If he bumps into a pegasus sporting a hairdo and equipment like yours, there would be no point.”

“So you got me a dress, friggin' makeup, and a stupid-ass hat, just so some brat wont be able to tell me apart from the rest of the snobs?” Tager asked incredulous, kicking the saddlebag so that the items she mentioned spilled out, “Have you lost your damn mind?!”

“Tager, this is the only way we can find out for certain Torrin’s the real deal.” Marco said seriously, “Can you please do it?”

“Hell no.” the pegasus spat, “I’ve said it once, I’ve said it twice; I don’t give a crap about whatever it is you’re aiming at with this whole Terra thing, least of all whether or not some kid’s been leading you lot on. You think I’m gonna humiliate myself over something like that? You’re pretty stupid Marco.”

“Fine then.” he breathed, “What do I have to give you to make you do it?”

“Oh-ho?” Tager took a pleased step forwards, the concept surprising her, “Now you’re talking my language, but it more depends on what you have to give. Which I already know ain’t much...”

Marco watched in silence as devious gears begun to tick inside Tager’s head. His offer was worth posing, but she was right. He really didn’t have anything she would want. Especially not if it was in exchange for what he was asking.

“Hrm... what to take, what to take...” Tager mused, “You’ve already given me your word, so that won’t do. Money? A favour? That black little hat you love so much? Hrm... okay, I think I’ve got it.

“Alright.” she exclaimed, having decided, “I’ll do the dress-up thing for you.”

“Just like that?” Marco questioned, his tone careful, “What do you want in return?”

“Your potions.” Tager said, taking him by surprise, “And an ‘I owe you’ in the bank.”

“What could you want with my potions?” Marco asked, tentative on agreeing, “They are of no use to you.”

“Well, if we get into another tough spot and they just so happen to be not frozen, I’m better off knowing exactly what you’re throwing around.” Tager replied, her carefree tone shifting slightly as she continued, “Also, it’s not out of the question that I’ll be the one on the receiving end of one of those some day. For that, I want to make myself immune to any poison or whatever else you got.”

“Okay, I’ll let you do whatever you want with them.” Marco replied just as serious, “But before I agree to anything else, what kind of ‘I owe you’ were you talking about?”

“Oh, right...” Tager put her hoof to her muzzle, apparently having forgotten, “I haven’t decided what I want, so I’m gonna hold you to a favour. It could be anything, and if I call on you for it, you have to do it no matter what. Kapeesh?”

“No sane pony would agree to that.” Marco shook his head, “Especially if it was to you.”

“C’mon, whatever it ends up being, it can’t be much worse than what you’re asking me to do, right?” Tager smiled wide, “Besides, aren’t you screwed if you don’t make a deal with me?”

“Urgh, you’re the devil.” Marco groaned, knowing he would be thinking back in regret to this very moment in what was sure to be the very immediate future, “Fine then. We’ve got a deal...”

“Do you promise?” Tager grinned and raised her hoof, knowing him to be cornered, “Come on, you gotta shake my hoof or something right?”

His eye twitching in frustration, Marco took her hoof and shook it slowly. “It’s... it’s a promise.” he said with a sigh, “There’s no way I’m not going to regret this.”

“Daw, what’s the matter?” Tager faked concern, still smiling that same smile, “Don’t you trust me? Hehehe...”

“Yeah, laugh it up.” Marco frowned, “But aren’t you forgetting something?”

As if to crush Tager’s self-satisfaction, Marco scooped up the contents of the saddlebag and dumped them in her grasp. Her chuckling stifled to remember that she hadn’t taken from him without first giving.

This time Marco was the one to smile. “There’s no time like the present, so I might as well sit back and enjoy this.” he pat the bounty hunter on the back, “Even if it means I might suffer for it later.”

Tager’s eyes were deadly as she was made to hold what would soon be her latest disguise. “I’ll make sure that you do.” she growled, “That I can pretty much garun-fucking-tee.”

* * * *

“Okay everypony...” Spellbound spoke above the murmur of the assembled guards crowding the garrison, “I know there’s not many of you, but gather round and quiet down.”

The unicorn looked over the sorry bunch as they gave her their attention. Most of them were wet behind the ears rookies who barely knew how to fasten their helmets, and the remaining minority were some of the tougher-stuff guards who had been a part of yesterday’s attack, which also made them the few who had pulled themselves from the sickbed and reported for duty despite their injuries. Either way, there was essentially nopony here who was fit for duty.

“As you all no doubt know by now, Canterlot was almost taken yesterday by the enemy.” Spellbound shook off her doubts, “Those of us who were fortunate enough to be away from the palace make up the majority of the city’s current defences.

“You’ve all probably been wondering what kind of condition our people are in.” she continued, “And I’m pleased to report that there hasn’t yet been any fatalities.”

“Yet?” a concerned guard spoke up, obviously one of the many greenhorns, “What do you mean ‘yet’?”

“Some got off easier than others.” Spellbound replied coldly, “For those of you directly involved in the incident, you’ll know what I mean.”

“How is the captain?” one firm-voiced guard asked, the pegasus sporting thick bandaging on his wing, side and eye, “Is he going to make it?”

“I won’t lie to you... I’ve seen corpses in better shape.” Spellbound didn’t mince words, “Even so, we’re pouring everything into bringing him around. I don’t think he will be leaving us just yet.

“With that said, we are now without a captain.” she changed tone, “With both Shining Armor and Caliber currently out of the picture, there’s a gaping hole not just in our main forces, but our leadership as well.

“Under normal circumstances, Caliber’s lieutenant would be the one to fill the position, but ever since his last one deserted, he never nominated anypony for the position.” Spellbound kept the pace, “For this reason, Luna has tasked me with the role of acting captain. Technically, this position does not exist, but with all things considered, I’m going to have to ask that you all acknowledge its authority for the time being. It is crucial that we keep our heads at this trying time.”

“This is crazy...” another of the rookie guards exclaimed, “What if we get attacked again? There’s just no way we-”

Do not panic!” Spellbound shouted suddenly, “There is no question that the situation is desperate. However, this is why Luna has recalled not only the main body of the guard sent out to monitor vulnerable towns and settlements, but also the entire division currently deployed in the deep sea.

“When they return, Shining Armor will take charge of our reorganised forces.” she continued, “But until then, it is up to us to keep order. And to do that, I need you all to remain calm, focused, and to cooperate.”

The room fell silent once more as Spellbound voiced her new authority. On some level, they must have realized it was especially hard for somepony like her to be given the responsibility she now wielded at such an uncertain time.

“Now, to the first order of business.” she instructed, “Starting today, we’re locking down Canterlot. Nopony in, nopony out. No surprises. We will also no longer be operating in the royal palace. Until it is repaired, the night palace will be taking over its role as our main hub.

“That aside, there are two things I need you all to keep in mind.” Spellbound resumed, “Canterlot’s defence is now made up of a skeleton crew, the vast majority of which is here in this room as I speak.”

She couldn’t help but to pause. Looking over her attentive crowd, she couldn’t tell how many of them there were, but that was most likely for the best. All she knew was that if she wanted to count them, it wouldn’t take her very long.

“It is not my aim to demoralize you, but the first thing I want you to be mindful of is how limited our resources are.” Spellbound said gravely, “As it stands, we do not have enough numbers to maintain order from within, let alone defend this city from without. That is why a show of force is required. I imagine some of you might find this approach ruthless, but we have to be if we expect to last long enough for help to come. We must tighten our grip here and now, lest we risk collapse.

“Which brings me to the second thing you must stay conscious of.” she continued, not allowing her audience to dwell, “If anything has become obvious over the last few days, it is that we have severely limited intelligence concerning our enemy’s strength and number. You need to be aware that the chance of Canterlot being attacked again in its current state is not unlikely. Yes, our reinforcements will come, but we should assume that the enemy knows we are weakened. You all must prepare yourselves for the worst case scenario.”

A heavy silence hung as the reality of the situation sunk in. Out on the streets, in the homes, in the gardens, and in the workplace, Canterlot was more or less ignorant to the severity of their strife. And all the while the population enjoyed relative comfort and carried on with their usual business, the fearfully quiet guards looking up at Spellbound were now the thin line that held it all together.

“Now then, it’s time for your assignments.” their pseudo-captain’s voice cut through the grim atmosphere, “All unicorn guards who were injured or present during the attack yesterday, please light your horns.”

Spellbound watched as a collection of horns begun to shine a variety of colours, their owners’ eyes strong underneath their damaged helmets. There were six in total, two of them being of the white coated variety, the other four coated an ashen grey.

“Very good.” she nodded, pleased with the result, “We will be setting up a barrier around the city, and you six will be taking the lead in maintaining it. You’ll be spaced out evenly, and be assigned an additional couple of unicorns to help you keep it up. We don’t have enough numbers to construct a full-fledged shield, but make it so we can tell if anything, and I mean anything, passes through it.

“As for you pegasi...” Spellbound continued, “Placed in between where the barrier teams end up, I want six teams of three to be our lookouts. It’ll be your job to keep an eye out and warn us of any danger beforehand, and also to drop our alert if the barrier is breached for any confirmed natural reason.

“As for those left over, I’ll be splitting you up into two evenly mixed groups of pegasus and unicorn.” she carried on with the orders, “Half of you will be helping the police keep order, and be enforcing curfew, while the rest will be ready as a response team should the worst happen.”

As she finished barking her orders, the silence Spellbound was faced with was different from the one that had reigned only a few moments ago. Their doubts quelled that there was nopony fit to take charge, this new quiet was more of the hopeful kind than the previously fearful.

“If that is all, then we shall proceed with organising this immediately!” she concluded, raising her voice as she capitalized on the guards’ regained determination, “So then, are there any objections?!”

As one, the assembled crowd snapped into the same firm salute. “No sir!” the room boomed together, their unified declaration forcing a smile to form on the previously stern face of their ‘acting’ captain.

“That’s what I like to hear!” Spellbound roared over the din, “Let’s get to work!

* * * *

“I’m coming in!” Marco announced himself before stepping into the library, “You guys are still in here right?”

Over here!” Pastel Pride’s voice called out from deeper inside, “We’re down this way!”

Marco could hear Pastel chattering away as he neared, and he recognised the voice of Twilight and Torrin as well. He couldn’t help but notice the signs of the work they had been doing since his previous visit. A curious variety of different books lay open and scattered all about, telling him that whatever research they had been doing was taking them places.

“Ah, Marco-” Twilight made to say, but stopped short when she took her first look at him, “Wha- by Celestia, what in blazes happened to you?”

Pastel and Torrin gawked to see him too. For whatever reason, Marco’s left eye was swollen a little, with a light shade of bruising underneath. He rolled his good eye to receive the reaction he had been expecting. So it was clear at least that nothing was in pain aside from his pride.

“Wow, what a shiner!” Pastel smirked, “How’d you get it?”

“From a, uh... miscalculation.” he replied vaguely, “Anyway... it’s not important. We’ve got to get going if we’re going to make it to the night palace on time.”

“Oh, yeah... we completely forgot.” Pastel blinked a few times, “Okay, pack it up Torrin, you’ve gotta get moving.”

“Alright.” the colt acknowledged, closing the book he and Twilight were sharing, “I’m ready to go anyway.”

“Good.” Marco nodded before turning on the unicorn among them, “Twilight? How about you?”

She didn’t reply right away, too focused she was on her thoughts. A moment later, those thoughts translated into the magical glow of her horn as she recalled the spell and let it loose without a word.

Before Marco could ask what it was that she was doing, an unexpected and sharp pain struck his sore eye, causing him to yelp.

“Sorry...” Twilight smiled apologetically, “Magic can’t really help with bruising, but I got rid of the swelling. See?

Wrapped up in her magic, Twilight levitated a little mirror up to his muzzle, showing him his new non-swollen eye.

“Urgh, If you’d just asked I would’ve told you I already took something for the swelling earlier.” Marco touched carefully at his eye before waving off the curious mirror, “Where’d you even pull that mirror from?”

“Who cares?” Torrin sighed, shuffling past the pair on his way out, “Didn’t you say we were in hurry?”

“Tsk, fine.” Marco stopped the colt, stepping in front of him as he slid the child back, “Follow me.”

“Good luck you guys.” Pastel smiled as she waved off the trio, “I’ll keep digging on this hero stuff while you’re gone.”

“Thank you so much!” Twilight waved back as she followed Marco towards the exit, “We’ll definitely be back sooner or later!”

As the big door shut behind the three as they left, Pastel Pride let her smile drop as she slumped tiredly. Without Twilight and Torrin and their combined craziness, it was just her, an impossible task, and a near infinite supply of random information.

“Urgh... I’m in way over my head.” she muttered in exhaustion, “I’m gonna go lie down.”


Taking the spiralling staircase two steps at a time all the back down to the ground level of the palace, Marco led Torrin and Twilight towards the southern exit, which as Twilight knew, was a way that would have them pass through the throne room.

“Um, Marco...” she spoke up from the rear, “We’re not allowed to go this way. Wouldn’t it also be quicker if we took a short-cut here on the left?”

“We got lost the time you tried to short cut us.” Marco reminded her, “Let’s just go this way, it’s the only one I know.”

“Wait, then how did you...” Twilight trailed off as she figured the answer out herself, “Just follow me would you? I’m not going to get us lost inside the palace.”

Marco didn’t deviate from his path. “Can’t we just-” he made to ask, but never got a chance to finish.

Marco!” Twilight abruptly hissed, jarring to a halt, “You should already know what it's like in there! Torrin doesn’t need to see that!”

The colt in question came to a sudden halt too, with Marco doing the same. He and Twilight both knew what was behind the doors ahead, and while it hadn’t yet occurred to Marco, the throne room wasn’t in a state that the child should see, even more so if the possibility still loomed that he would play a role in taking the fight to the forces responsible for what had happened here.

“I guess you’re right.” he turned around, at the rear of the group now that Twilight would lead on, “Fine, have it your way. I just hope you know where we’re going.”

“Oh, give it a rest would you.” Twilight sighed as she charged off on her own tangent, “Come on, or I’ll leave you behind!”


Twilight’s path through the main body of the royal palace was winding, but true to her word, the three of them were out into the streets of Canterlot in no more than a couple of minutes.

“Well?” Twilight asked as Marco retook the lead, the time they’d made up allowing them to casually walk the rest of the way.

“I’m sorry I ever doubted you...” he apologised flatly, taking her question to be of that kind, “Can you ever forgive me?”

“Not that.” Twilight’s eyes narrowed, apparently taking offense to what he thought she meant, “I meant, ‘well’, aren’t you going to ask what we found out while you were gone?”

“Oh, right.” Marco changed tune, “I forgot about that. What did you get up to?”

“I was trying to think of another way to narrow down our search.” Twilight replied, “You know, if the next hero turns out to be from Mistmantle.”

If, huh?” Marco repeated, “Okay. Did you figure anything out?”

The discussion paused for a moment as the trio pushed their way through the Canterlot crowd, receiving a few disapproving grunts from the snobby locals as they did so.

“Do you remember that section in the prophecy?” Twilight asked, ignoring all the dressed-up ponies as they rolled their eyes, “The part where it mentioned that he ‘protects his people’, I mean.”

“And the world at large right?” Marco continued for her, able to recall it too, “What about it?”

“Well, we were stumped at first.” she explained, “Torrin swore that the pony we were looking for is in Mistmantle, and while I could understand that the hero played some vital role in protecting the town, most likely against the weather, Pastel Pride nor I could think of a way for him to also play a role in the outside world.

“Unicorns that are able to leave Mistmantle rarely ever go back. It’s just that hard.” Twilight continued, “So if he’s there at the moment, I can only imagine that he’s never left. But that’s the thing... ponies that have never left Mistmantle have no experience of the outside world. Beyond those ever-raging storms, they’ve never seen grass, sand, the stars, or, or... well, you know.”

“So if our hero is so alienated from the rest of the world, how could he possibly play any, let alone a significant role in protecting it?” Marco asked, Twilight’s dilemma clear to him, “That is a problem. No offense Torrin, but we’re in trouble if what you say and what the prophecy say-”

“Actually, I thought the same thing until we dug a little deeper.” Twilight cut him off before turning to face the colt beside her, “Why don’t you tell him what we found?”

Torrin paused for a moment to realize she was talking to him. “Um, okay?” he said, taken off guard since he hadn’t expected be a part of the serious discussion, “Well, we were talking about it for a little bit back when I found that book on Starswirl. You said that because of where they live, Mistmantle is practically the weather expect capital of the world.”

“Yeah, I remember.” Marco replied sternly, “But what did you find?”

“It was Pastel who thought of it.” Torrin explained, “A whole bunch of technology comes out of Mistmantle, stuff designed to stop weather and natural phenomena from doing too much damage. Over the years, actually, over the last ten years, there’s been some huge advances, and all of Equestria has been applying them.”

“We’re talking about inventions like the magical lightning rod, the tremor tablet, and the wave wiper.” Twilight continued on for him, “That’s only a few examples, and they’ve saved more lives than you can imagine. And they’ve all come from one place.”

“Let me guess...” Marco replied, “Mistmantle right?”

“Naturally, but I managed to narrow it down even further.” Twilight lent in, her tone almost excited, “They’ve all come from the same company in Mistmantle. A weather factory going by the name of Sunny Day’s and Night’s.”

Catchy...” Marco joked, “But I see what you mean. Inventions like that might not get much recognition, but they still protect ponies all over the world from all kinds of disasters.”

“You can say that again.” Twilight smiled, “So I’m not crazy? We’re onto something right?”

“After all the hustle I’ve been through already with Tag- uh... the first one, it’s hard to believe we won’t be jumping in completely blind.” Marco replied unsteadily, almost letting Tager’s name slip out in front of Torrin, “What’s more is that while we were relying on what Celestia had been researching before us, we’ve been working on this one by ourselves.”

“I am her student after all!” Twilight said, pleased with herself to some degree, “Even then I’ve had the help of Pastel and Torrin-”

She stopped short as she said the colt’s name. Turning to her right as if to praise him directly, her face fell to realize that the child in question was no longer beside her. Also realizing, Marco figured that he hadn’t needed to worry about accidentally dropping Tager’s name in. The colt was most likely gone at that point.

Wah!” Twilight exclaimed, causing Marco to jolt, the unicorn’s fear of loosing such a severely important pony in the middle of Canterlot not concealed in any sense, “Torrin!? Oh no... oh, no no no no... where are you?!”

She spun in circles rapidly, scanning the indifferent crowd around her for the small child. For his part Marco turned around slowly, more focused on the path they had walked so far. His eyes narrowing, her saw a set of tiny hooves trotting away through the legs of the Canterlot locals behind him for just an instant.

“This way.” he said calmly, Twilight latching on at the implication, “Follow me.”

“You saw him?!” her voice was bursting with relief, “Where?! I don’t...”

“Calm down.” Marco made sure that Twilight copied his slow walking, “Remember how you pulled me aside at the library and we talked about how I wanted to test if Torrin was the real deal?”

“Well, yeah?” Twilight was beyond confused, “How did you- wait, what’s this got to do with him running off?”

“Think about it.” Marco offered, “He says he can tell if somepony’s a hero just by looking at them. So all we need to do is show him a hero. Which I think we just did...”

“Huh, where?” Twilight spun again, yet still turning up a blank, “Oh! You mean-”

“Neither you or Torrin have seen Tager before.” Marco explained, “You wouldn’t know she was a hero even if you bumped into one another in the middle of the street. Unless of course you could somehow tell...

“But trust me, she would stick out no matter where she was.” Marco exhaled, touching at the light bruising below his eye, “I managed to, uh... ‘convince’ her to dress up as if she was from Canterlot. Truth be told, I didn’t see her pass us either, but if Torrin saw fit to chase what he could only regard as just another stuck-up posh city pony-”

“Then that must mean...” Twilight gasped, increasing her speed and pushing past him, “He really does have some kind of sense!”

“Hey, wait!” Marco warned, pursuing the excited unicorn, “Don’t rush! We still can’t say for...”

Twilight suddenly rounded a corner, entering an alleyway. Cutting himself of mid sentence, Marco followed, only to bump into Twilight’s rear as she unexpectedly stopped barely a foot inside the alleyway.

“What the heck?” Marco asked, his eyes locking onto the same sight that caused Twilight to stop. In the centre of they alley sat a pile of crumpled clothes, which, even from a distance rung of the common Canterlot style.

Twilight might not have been able to piece it together, but it dawned on Marco a moment before it snuck up on him.

“Urgh, I said I’m sorry!” Torrin’s voice moaned out from above, “Please put me down!”

Twilight turned at the colt’s sudden cry, but before she could locate him for herself, he seemingly fell from the sky and into her reflexive grasp.

Oof!” Twilight exclaimed as the sudden impact pushed her into a kneel, “Torrin? What the- are you okay?”

“Y-yeah.” he stuttered as Twilight helped him back onto his hooves, “Sorry I ran off, it’s just that...”

“It’s alright.” Marco was the one to answer, though his eyes were anywhere but on Torrin, “To be honest I, well... we, were hoping you would.”

“Marco?” Twilight called, her eyes locked onto the same thing as him, “Is that who I think it is?”

“Yes.” Marco replied, his eyes following as the pegasus landed just in front of him, “But Tager, what’s the big idea?”

“What?” Tager pointed at her chest, feigning offense, “You said I shouldn’t let myself get noticed. Kinda hard to do when some kid starts chirping, telling me to wait. ‘Hold on!’ he says, ‘I can sense something from you!’ he says. Honestly... worst pickup line ever.”

“Uh... hello.” Twilight cut in awkwardly, Torrin taking cover from the crude pegasus by hiding behind the unicorn’s hooves, “My name is Twilight Sparkle. I’ve, um... heard a bit about you.”

“I’m sure.” Tager sniffed at the air complacently, breaking away from eye contact, “Can we go now? I wasn’t looking forward to going to the night palace, but having to trot about with all the stuck ups in this city has been driving me buggy.”

“So did it work?” Twilight asked Marco, “Could Torrin really tell?”

“I don’t think you should be asking me.” Marco jerked his head at the colt cowering behind her, “This is your moment Torrin. Tell us what happened.”

Tentatively, the colt emerged from the safety of his cover. “It’s like she said...” he mumbled, “While we were walking, I got this really funny feeling about somepony walking by. It was the same kind of feeling I sometimes get... but-

“Amazing... you really can sense these things.” Marco found himself disbelieving, so strange it was for such a thing to be true, “And there can be no doubt?”

“At first I wasn’t sure.” Torrin gulped bravely, “But now I’m positive.

“That pegasus...” he continued, his innocent eyes fixed on Tager, “Is not one of the three heroes.”

WHAT?!” Marco practically shook Torrin in frustration, “After everything we went through!? And you just said you sensed something! What the hell!?”

“Urgh, then maybe she just isn’t one yet!” the colt broke free of the stallion’s grip, “I can only tell you what I know! If you’re so sure it’s supposed to be her then maybe she’s not at that stage yet-”

“What’s that supposed to mean!?” Marco cut Torrin off, his reasoning absolutely ludicrous to his ears, “You’re the one who’s supposed to foresee that stuff! If you can’t even say for certain, what the heck did you sense?!”

“Calm down Marco!” Twilight insisted, physically pushing him back by the shoulders, “This isn’t getting us anywhere!”

“I still get to fight Terra right?” Tager spoke up, utterly indifferent to her current status, “Our promise didn’t have anything to do with this little squirt.”

“Urgh, I don’t... I can barely think straight anymore.” Marco confessed, “If we have to go back to square one, after everything that’s happened... I just don’t know where we’d begin.”

“Let’s start by taking this little problem to Luna.” Twilight suggested reassuringly, “Remember, she didn’t disappear undersea just to visit Neptune. And since she’s been so keen to bring us all back together, she must have figured something out!”

“I don’t know what you guys are on about, but anything beats just sitting here.” Tager chipped in despite her ignorance, “And not that I’m looking forward to dealing with Luna again, but it’d be nice for somepony to explain this crap to me in words I actually understand for once.”

“Anyway... let’s go see her before we start stressing out.” Twilight added carefully, trying to calm the situation down, “We’ve done just about all we possibly can on our own so far, and even if we haven’t come up with much, we’ll definitely work everything out once we’re all together again.”

Twilight watched Marco as he continued to stare seriously at the colt that was once again taking cover behind her back legs. And while his concerns weren’t settled in any sense, Marco couldn’t deny that Twilight had raised a valid point. It was time for them to give up on trying to discover a solution on their own.

“Sorry, I guess I got a little carried away there.” he rubbed at the back of his mane awkwardly, “We should do as you said and make for the night palace.

“With any luck...” Marco resumed as took the first step back towards the bustling Canterlot streets, “Luna will know what to make of this mess.”