• Published 30th May 2012
  • 3,706 Views, 56 Comments

From the Ashes - Benjamin Lawe



A shadow falls over Canterlot as old wounds are opened, and a tradgedy best left buried re-emerges.

  • ...
9
 56
 3,706

Chapter 1: Dead Reckoning

From the Ashes

Chapter One: Dead Reckoning

It was the middle of nowhere. Like the rest of the world, Nightmare Moon’s darkness had descended upon the land, and a hateful moon bathed everything in its malefic glow.


Some fifteen years ago, when the settlers first laid claim to the land they would soon call home, the dangers of the arid and desolate landscape were not unknown to them. And in braving the inhospitable environment, they named their town ‘New Eureka’ as if in spite of how little the earth had to offer.

But on that fateful night when the world was robbed of its sun, whatever knowledge the town had of the hazards on their doorstep was immediately betrayed. With the morning stalled and a foul darkness imposed, nature was suddenly wrenched from its natural order and the evils that the settlers had learned to abide underwent a horrid transformation.

Infected by the rage of a moon seething evil intent, the night became alive with beasts driven mad by the vengeful whisperings of a princess corrupted by hatred.

From deep dark marshes crawled mighty hydra, their many heads all howling in unison for something to destroy. From their slumber stirred great dragons, abandoning their hordes of treasure as they lumbered out into the night, utterly intoxicated by their newfound sinister desires. And following behind them were the shadows of every other monster the wilderness had to offer, all possessed by the same darkness, and all driven to the same chaotic end...

So for the town of New Eureka and the unsuspecting ponies who inhabited it, isolated and alone in their little corner of the world with no reason to expect the land to turn against them, the hell that the unfortunate township descended into would beyond compare.


And hell it was. Despite the deep black night that enveloped all of Equestria, the skies over New Eureka glowed red, illuminated by an all-consuming fire below. The entire town was crumbling away as dragon’s flame ate away at every standing structure that once defied the empty wasteland. And while every other building in the small town was a box-like ensemble of brick and timber, there was one structure that stood out. It was a curiously misplaced oak tree, made a home by virtue of its hollow nature. The only similarity it had to its neighbours was that it too had been ignited by the raging fires, barely able to maintain its form as the inferno ate away at its wood.

Indeed, as the only signs of life were the crazed creatures running rampart about the town, it was in the odd tree-house that something other than a monster dwelled...

Stumbling out of the entrance, the wooden door was almost wrenched from its frame as the grey-coated stallion inside let loose with a desperate kick.

Barely a metre from the flaming house, the earth pony fell to his knees, spluttering and gagging as he coughed out the smoke that had crept into his lungs. “Damn it.” he managed between haggard gasps, “Where are they?”


His cobalt eyes tinged red from the smoky haze he had just emerged from, the frantic pony scanned the destruction all around as he looked for some sign of anypony else. But all that was reflected in his wide eyes were the abandoned structures and the fires climbing high from their twisted remains and into the unnatural night sky.

Despite the fact he seemed to be searching for somepony, the realization crept into his panicked mind that he needed to evacuate the town proper. Before long, the fire would cut off his escape, and the monsters were far more concentrated here. But before the stallion could act upon this realization, the ambient sound of hydras howling was suddenly overpowered as a different voice grumbled out from behind him, low and quiet, and very close...

The earth pony reeled, nearly falling back as he turned to find the enraged eyes of a deformed timber wolf staring back at him. And while a timber wolf was a fearsome sight in and of itself, the one before him had been transformed, its wooden body hunched aggressively despite the fact it had somehow been set alight. The grey-coated stallion froze up as the wolf put its burning paw down, taking a steady step toward him. He was dead to rights, and he knew it. The disfigured beast was prepared to pounce and tear him limb from limb...

But in the next instant, the stallion who thought he’d met his end watched the flaming figure of the timber wolf collapse in upon itself, broken apart into a mess of embers and splinters by the fire burning at its heart.

His terror subsiding as the smouldering remains of the beast lost all life, the stallion could scarcely comprehend the nature of its madness if it could be a moment from killing and a moment from dying at the same time. What could possess these monsters to ignore their wounds and run wild like this? What could make them willing to erase the existence of this tiny town, and the lives of those who called it their home?

There was no time for such questions. He had to get out of here before the fires spread; he had to escape before a more formidable foe discovered that there was still a life to be snuffed out amid the carnage. Galloping now, the grey-coated earth pony left the town square in the dust, his numb hooves leading him to the only other place that the ones he had been so desperately searching for could still be.

And so, with fingers of smoke invading his nostrils and the odd raging howl diverting his path, the stallion ran towards his last hope amid this crisis. He ran home to the apple orchard, praying they were there, and that the destruction had not yet touched the fields.

But as he continued on, he could see fire lighting the sky above where he knew the orchard was. Shockingly, the brightness of it seemed to develop, the ambient red glow transforming into a shining white blur that was fast becoming blinding.


The alien light of the sun struck the young stallion in the eye, invading his unconsciousness and dispelling the daydream that had robbed him of his grip on reality. He backed up all groggy and confused, but as his face became bathed in light, his memories of that horrid night were gone.

It took him a moment to realize that the world he had just emerged from was one of dreams. He had been moving forward as if conscious, but it seemed that his waking mind was only now returned to him as the brightness of the sun broke through his befuddled senses.

It had been so long since he’d seen the sun, or at least it seemed that way. Days pass unannounced within the dusky confines of the Everfree Forest, the sun unable to penetrate the thick and thorny overgrowth that blocked out every last sliver of its light.

So as the battered and bruised earth pony confirmed that the sight before him was no illusion, his addled thoughts became refocused to know that he had finally escaped that murky twilight.

His attention was immediately drawn to his gut. His stomach churned with agonising cramps, and the lingering tug of hunger pestered his barely conscious mind. Something had it upset, but he couldn’t quite place what. Other than that, each step he took towards the deadly forest’s threshold was heavy and weak.

The combined ailments of his pained body cried out as one for him to rest, but he managed to silence them, his tired eyes set firmly upon the way out from this damn forest that was only a few steps away.


Minutes later, he was well away from thorny maze. He found himself upon a path, the very concept of such a thing almost a stranger to him. As his eyes followed its length, he could see the outline of a town not too far in the distance. If he had traversed the forest properly, then this town that was just waking up had to be ‘Ponyville’.

He made to place that first step toward it, but in being free of Everfree Forest, whatever willpower had been pushing him forward instantly evaporated.

A dreadful feeling snuck up on him and gripped his core. It was that feeling of being certain that one is about to pass out. It was the feeling of being weightless, and incapable of doing anything to stop the void of unconsciousness coming to claim you.

He stumbled left until he tripped over his own hooves, landing in a pitiful heap by the side of the road. He knew that the softness of the grass was an illusion crafted by a fatigued body, and that the sun shining down on him really wasn’t able to wrap him up in its glow like it felt it was, but he couldn’t find a reason for that to matter. The sounds of ponies starting their day drifted in with the breeze and set him at ease, and the warmth of a long-forgotten sunrise made him feel safe.

Somehow settled by these seemingly fake comforts, the stallion closed his eyes and begun to drift off. Despite himself, a type of peace cradled his pained body, his parched lips parting into a soft smile as he finally resigned to sleep.


Unfortunately, the moment of peace was gone as quickly as it had come. Plunged back into the world of dreams, his mind was became entrapped in the swirl of his fiery nightmares.

* * * *

Some distance from the stallion’s position outside Ponyville, Canterlot’s marble while palace took on an especially regal appearance, wrapped as it was in the yellow glow of the rising sun.

Outside its massive doors, a stalwart guard stood motionless, patiently awaiting the return of his princess. Like most pegasi in service of the royal guard, his coat was pure white in colour and his striking blue mane was hidden beneath a dazzling set of golden armour. Unlike other guards however, his golden armour had a very precise pattern etched into it and the crest of his helmet was inlaid with a foggy white gemstone. Though passersby wouldn’t realize such things identified him as the pegasus captain of the royal guard, they sure as hell realized it made him important.


The captain paid no heed to the subtle stares of the locals. But he did notice when a murmur rose up from among them, an object out of view spurring surprise from ponies that were simply going about their business a moment ago.

He too found his eyes widening in shock to see Princess Celestia trotting humbly through the street outside her palace. Her head wasn’t held high like it usually was, and her movements appeared heavy...

“Princess!” he called, making his way over to her, “What are you doing walking about? Did you come all the way from the night palace?”

“Oh, good morning Caliber.” Celestia replied, raising her head and smiling warmly for the captain, “Forgive me if I kept you waiting, I just felt like a walk. I needed to clear my head...”

Caliber relaxed his posture, doing his best to reflect the princess’ smile. “I’m guessing it didn’t go very well?” he said, moving aside for Celestia, “Your sister turned you away again it seems...”

“Yes.” she replied solemnly, opening the giant doors to her palace with the flourish of her magical horn, “I can empathize with her feelings, but I still don’t like it. The longer she continues to dwell in past mistakes, the closer she becomes to being consumed by regret.”

The pair continued to move into the palace, Celestia leading her guard up the winding stairs that would bring them to her private study.

“I still don’t understand why...” Caliber said, following close behind, “However many times you’ve offered to return her powers, and she still won’t take back her throne? Even if she is uncomfortable with regaining her power, surely she must understand you must continue to shoulder her duties.”

“That does not worry me.” The princess responded, “Do not forget that I have kept the sun and moon in balance for over one thousand years now. However many days, weeks, or months it takes for Luna to properly forgive herself... I do not care.”

“But still, there must be some other reason why she’s keeping you from giving her back her magic...” the captain continued, “You told me that she once looked as you do, with her mane ethereal and flowing with astral energies. But with her magic sapped she seems so fragile and uncomfortable. Why wouldn’t she want to go back to how things used to be?”

“I believe she fears for what might happen should she have power over anything again.” Celestia replied softly, “In her mind, my sister probably thinks she’ll only turn it upon others should history repeat itself.”

“Surely she doesn’t believe that?” Caliber asked, “After all you two have been through, the lessons she’s learned can’t be forgotten easily.”

“I am afraid that my sister may be too absorbed with what those lessons costs to realize that she can still move forward.” Celestia replied gravely, closing her eyes, “Months have passed since the darkness lifted, but she’s still wallowing in sorrow. It’s as if she’s still the same as the day she emerged from the remains of her hateful prisoner.”

The princess stopped in her tracks, not realizing they had already reached the top of the stairs. “I do not fear that she will ever again be consumed by hatred...” she continued, turning to face the captain, “What I do fear, above all else, is that a different darkness will take hold of her should she deny herself forgiveness.”

“It’s hard to imagine such things could lead somepony to ruin.” Caliber commented, but cocked his head as he made to correct himself, “Living for so long, those deep emotions must take on a whole new level. It’s impossible for a pegasus like me to understand...”

“I pray she will conquer them.” Celestia said seriously, “Make no mistake, Equestria needs Luna far more than anypony realizes. But they need the real Luna, not this shadow of her true self. In the end, these trials make her all the more capable to be a great princess. All she needs to do is realize that.”

The two remained quiet as they travelled the short distance from the top of the stairs to the start of the hall. To the left waited the princess’ study, and motioned for the captain to follow her in.

“You were there were you not?” Celestia suddenly asked, “The day after that night?”

“I was with you when you found her letter.” Caliber replied, his mind flashing back, “It was the first time I’ve ever seen you-”

“And you followed me there yes?” the princess cut the captain off, “To that field of ashes?”

“Yes. And I won’t soon forget it.” Caliber said, shaking his head, “My lieutenant deserted because of what she saw. Said she couldn’t protect a princess she couldn’t trust...”

“What about you?” Celestia asked, turning to face the captain, “What did you think when you saw what had happened there?”

“I thought it was a tragedy; nothing more.” Caliber answered honestly, dismissing Celestia’s doubtful tone, “It was regrettable that such a thing had happened or could happen... but placing blame is a child’s game.”

The study fell quiet as the princess silently accepted the captain’s reply. It was the heavy kind of silence that just begs to be broken...

“Just let me ask one thing.” Caliber continued, causing Celestia to raise an eyebrow, “Did your sister ever... you know, see it for herself?”

“Yes.” she replied simply, closing her eyes, “I thought it would help her recover, or reconcile with her mistakes... but...”

Celestia exhaled, not wanting to finish her sentence. Once again an uncomfortable silence reigned...

“Sorry.” Caliber apologised, “It’s far too early to talk about these kinds of things. Suffice to say I have faith in both your sister and you to come to an understanding.”

“Thank you captain.” Celestia smiled, “Once again your honest tongue proves most comforting. I truly value having somepony I can discuss such things with.”

“On that note I shall be off.” Caliber replied, “We both have a full day ahead of us.”

“Just a moment please captain...” the princess said as he made to leave, “Were you not waiting before the palace because you needed to see me?”

“Oh, I had forgotten.” he replied, “But it’s not important right now. I’ll come back tonight.”

“As you wish.” Celestia nodded, magically opening the door for Caliber, “I look forward to it.”


Now outside the palace, captain Caliber looked up to the sky, his mental checklist overflowing with the day’s duties.

“Well...” he said with a sigh, squinting before the light, “Where do I begin?”

* * * *

Unfortunately, there was no sun in the realm of dreams. Thrown back into a world where it had been stolen away, the grey-coated stallion was running and searching desperately through a night made eternal.


He charged fearfully through the chaos, ducking and weaving through the unrecognisable remains of what was once his home town. The whole place was wreathed in flames, and he could hear the hungry howls of vicious creatures all around. No matter how desperately he searched he couldn’t find a single soul, and no matter how far he seemed to run, the deadly creatures always seemed to be right behind him.

His chest heaved with each exhausted breath, and his fearful eyes panned across the carnage searching for any means to hope. But regardless of what direction he looked, the horizon yielded nothing but darkness. Alone and terrified beyond measure, the despairing stallion’s world had become synonymous with hell, blazing like a torch amid the impenetrable night.

And so he ran. Forcing his aching body onwards to the only place his hysteric mind could guide him, he galloped home to the apple orchard, somehow believing that getting home might solve this crisis.


His hope flickered as he finally made it to the farm, but his heart soon sank to see the entire orchard engulfed in dragon’s flame. The trees that had exceeded the harsh landscape and provided for the town had been twisted, and now only served to fuel the inferno that now consumed them.

It was then that he saw the actual farmhouse ablaze. Despite the fires, he felt a cold chill run up his spine as he became afraid that he may have been too late.

He didn’t think twice before he bolted up to the main door and knocked it open with a strong kick, fearing that somepony might still be inside. But as the door came free of it hinges, it was clear the place was empty.

He turned away from his abandoned home, uncertain of what to do. He was relived none had perished inside, but there was still nopony else here. He was still alone up here and he couldn’t think of anywhere else to-

The pony froze. A guttural growl rumbled out from behind, causing the fearful stallion’s limbs to lock. Unable to turn, his very breathing ceased as his eyes swivelled to meet with those of the dragon behind him.

The beast rose up off its haunches, it’s menacing growl evolving into a bone-chilling roar. The sickly white spines reaching from its head to its tail stood on end, and its deep black scales took on a whole new appearance, bathed as they were in the evil red glow emanating from the inferno around it. The indomitable foe glared down with crazed yellow eyes, parting its teeth in preparation for something most vile.

The stallion was absolutely petrified. The dragon exhaled a hot breath, and its eyes intensified as if to remove any doubt from its victims mind as to what was about to happen. Finally mustering the will to face the creature, the grey-coated earth pony didn’t have time to think before death came to claim him. Leaning forward and stretching its toothy maw wide, the dragon unleashed its fury with a jet of red-hot fire.

And it was at that moment, as the blinding light of a dragon’s flame filled his vision, the stallion knew for a fact that his nightmare was over.


The bright torch shining in his eyes flicked away, the bold whiteness replaced by the curious gaze of a frizzy-haired stallion who peered down at him through a pair of thin bifocals. “Well how about that...” he said, addressing some unseen party, “He’s coming around.”

Breaking from his dream, the grey pony tried to look about himself, but his vision was blurry around the edges. Before he could even begin to try and comprehend what was going on or where he was, the bifocaled stallion grabbed his head and shined his little torch in both of his eyes...

“Hey.” The doctor said, trying to capture the attention of his groggy patient, “Do you know what day it is? Tell me your name.”

He leaned in closely as his patient begun to mumble, but it was incomprehensible. It was clear to him that the pony before him would be under again any moment.

“That’ll have to do.” The doctor said quickly, acknowledging his patient’s vain attempt to reply, “Now, do you have any allergies I should know about? Try to answer. It’s important...”

The grey pony failed to utter a reply, but the doctor nodded knowingly as his patient feebly raised a hoof and waved it as if to dismiss the question. Immediately afterwards, his head fell back as his body went limp. He was unconscious again.

“No wonder he looked like he was in pain...” the figure said, turning to face his two observers, “You were right. This fool went and got himself poisoned. Seems like he ate one of Everfree’s troublesome Devilshrooms. It’s a poisonous little mushroom that takes on the appearance of neighbouring fungi so as to trick one into thinking it is safe. If you’re unlucky enough, eating one will leave you feeling faint and weak with a bad bout of abdominal pain to top it all off.”

Without delay, the doctor added a tiny green packet to the set of tubes that were currently getting the poor stallions fluids back up. “Thankfully, it’s also one of the easiest poisons to diagnose.” The doctor added, “Still, you did well in identifying it Ms. Fluttershy. I’m impressed.”

“Oh, it’s nothing really...” the pale-yellow pegasus responded meekly, “It’s just that Angel once ate something similar and got quite sick. After that I simply had to teach myself about all those nasty things hiding away in that scary forest.”

Next to her, a rainbow-manned pegasus shook her head impatiently and blew her fringe from her face. “How about a little credit here?” she pouted, taking wing and pointing proudly to her out-thrust chest, “I found him after all! And I even knew to get Fluttershy to help! And who, I hear you ask, carried the guy all the way over here? Huh?

“Anyway...” Fluttershy mumbled, all but ignoring her friend, “Is he going to be all right?”

“Yeah, don’t worry about it. He’ll be fine.” The doctor replied reassuringly as he left the earth pony to his treatment, “In a few hours I’ll have his fluids back up the medicine will have run its course. Though he’ll need to take it easy, he’ll be back on his own hooves before sundown.

“That said, I’ll have to ask you girls to do me a favour.” The doctor said awkwardly, “You see, though it was simple enough to treat, that antidote I gave him isn’t cheap...”

As he trailed off, he felt Rainbow Dash’s cold eyes upon him. Fluttershy just blinked innocently...

“Don’t worry, I’m not going to ask you to pay.” he continued, setting Dash at ease, “It’s just that, while I’d like to, I can’t afford to keep him under observation after giving him free treatment.”

He trailed off again as the pair of pegasi before him cocked their heads at what he’d just implied. It wasn’t that long ago that Dash had been cooped up here with a injured wing, and while she had been discharged while she wished to remain, it surprised her to think this place was so... inhospitable.

“Ah, anyway...” the doctor scrambled again, “He’ll be fine by tonight, but as a doctor I don’t like letting him stagger home to get the rest he needs. You’d be doing he and I a favour if you helped him get back to wherever it is he’s been staying.”

“Oh... in that case, it’s no problem.” Fluttershy said with a smile, oblivious to the fact that her friend was about to say the opposite, “Though I do need to head back home now, when should we come back?”

“Hey!” Rainbow Dash interrupted, “Don’t volunteer me! I was already going out of my way to cart the mushroom-eating doofus here, now you want me to take ‘em somewhere else? No way!”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Fluttershy apologized, scuffing her hooves, “I suppose I can manage it myself anyway.”

“Urgh... that’s not what-” Dash made to say, but cut herself off by pushing her hoof against her forehead, “You’re hopeless.” she continued, rolling her eyes in resignation, “Fine. I’ll help too. But only because Flutterclutz can’t handle it alone. An idiot who eats poison mushrooms is bound to be a hooffull.”

“Speaking of...” the doctor replied, pivoting to face the earth pony and his apparently agonized figure, “He’s a bit restless. I’ll give him a painkiller now that I know he’s not allergic.

“Anyhow, you two can leave for now.” he continued, tapping his muzzle as he stopped to study the clock, “How about you come back in, hrm... six hours? It’s when I’m supposed to close, and he’ll definitely be cured by then.”

“Oh, yes... that’s fine.” Fluttershy nodded, “Come on Rainbow, let’s leave the doctor to his work.”

“I owe you one girls.” he called out after them as the trotted away, “See you later on!”


Waving them off as they exited the theatre, the doctor set about organizing the painkiller he’d mention earlier. “Right then...” he muttered, directed at himself more than the grey-coated pony which lay before him, “Let’s see if we can’t get that agonized look of your face.”

* * * *

Though unconscious, the swirl of nightmares had not relented. Transported back to that horrid night before the burning orchard, the grey-stallion recoiled as the dragon’s flame became a moment from engulfing him.

But in that very same moment, without any warning or apparent cause, a luminescent wall of water was conjured and risen between the fast-moving breath of fire and the defenceless earth pony. Infuriated by the intervention, the dragon hissed and turned on the spot, searching for the one who had dared defy it.


The terrified stallion saw her first. She was silhouetted by the inferno behind her, but through her shadowed-out features the horn on her head was clearly visible, as was the faint glow of magical energies emanating from it.

And in being certain the figure was a unicorn, the stallion knew instantly who had saved him. There could be no other, for there was only one unicorn who called the small town her home.

Arabelle!” the terrified earth pony cried, drawing the dragon’s attention, “I... I thought...”

Stepping forth from her shadowy position, the figure of Arabelle was a stark contrast of how the stallion knew her. Her gentle brown mane was normally styled to perfection, but in the middle of this disaster it had lost its lustre and hung down over her exhausted face in a saturated and tangled mess. Her coat that was always kept a pure white, was now tainted with blotches of ugly black mud and grime.

In short, the unicorn had seen better days. But despite the signs of exhaustion present all over her body, her face lit up as she saw that the familiar stallion before her had not been harmed by the dragon’s fiery blast.

“Thank goodness...” she said, her once elegant voice turned rasp and coarse, “Are you okay dear? Quickly now, run! Get away from that thing!”

As she cried out, the black-scaled beast stomped at the ground, reminding the two ponies of its fury as it turned to face the new intruder. It seemed that in sparing the dragon’s victim, she had also succeeded in redirecting its rage.

As the grey-coated stallion watched the vicious dragon stare down at his saviour, he failed to follow her command and continued to stay rooted in place. But as he finally begun to regain himself, he saw something that turned his blood to ice and caused the words to jam in his throat.

Like it had done moments before, the dragon’s eyes flickered as it opened it’s toothy mouth wide to make way for another unrelenting burst of flame. Signalling what was to come, two smokey puffs of hot air rose from the thing’s nostrils as his deadly attack became readied.

But Arabelle was faster. Before the flames welling up within could be properly released, her horn pulsed a brilliant blue and a magical chain coiled itself around the dragon’s open mouth and quickly constricted.

The effect was instantaneous. With its only way out stolen, the incoming burst of fire exploded violently inside the dragon’s forcibly closed mouth. The beast staggered slightly, the internal damage stunning it somewhat. As it tried to recover from its own concussive blast, Arabelle seized the moment to make her way over to the stallion still trembling before the alight farm.

“Quickly dear, hide!” she exclaimed as she approached, shuffling him from his position and towards the door he had previously kicked in, “Get inside and find a safe place!”

“What about you?” the stallion managed to ask as they fled, “That thing’s gonna kill us!”

As he said the words, the mighty dragon made its presence known. Shattering the chain around its jaw with an effortless flex, it arched its back low and levelled its infuriated eyes with those of the two ponies looking on in distress. But despite how much it wished to burn them with another gout of flames, it simply snarled, resiting the impulse as it seemed to realize that its efforts would be countered like they were a moment ago.

Though as the grey-coated earth pony took stride next to Arabelle, he quickly discovered that wasn’t the case. The frail unicorn’s chest heaved in and out with utter exhaustion, and her eyes were practically glazed over. It was obvious that the spell she had just conjured was only one among the many she had been casting since this disaster begun, and the toll they were taking on her body made him wonder if she really could manage another if it became necessary...

He wouldn’t have to wait long to find out. Just before the pair could reach the opening to the farmhouse, the dragon suddenly changed tactics.

It swept its spiny tail low, bringing it around in a wide arch to collect his foes before they could disappear from its vision.

In response, Arabelle’s forced her magical horn to light up, but it quickly waned and faded away. The grim realization set in as the fatigued unicorn slumped with a fatigued gasp, virtually collapsing on the spot.

The stallion beside her stopped to carry her onwards, but it was already too late. The overpowering tail rushed at them, the spiny mass of sickly white spines filling their visions before-

The incoming blow was suddenly halted, brought to a lurching stop but a few metres from the vulnerable pair. Arabelle looked up in a daze, confused at how the mighty dragon’s tail seemed to struggle against some invisible force.

It was then she saw the rope. It was a lasso, looped tightly between the spines a fraction down from the tail’s tip. Before she could announce her confusion, the frayed rope groaned audibly as the power behind it begun to win over the dragon’s strength and force it to slowly withdraw its tail.

Unlike her, the stallion beside her knew exactly what had happened. After all, from his position he could see what lay at the end of the rope, and whatever it was, it caused his terrified expression to transform into one of relief.

His jet black coat glistening from the surrounding fire, the mighty earth pony who struggled with his end of the rope didn’t surrender an inch as he continued to overpower the dragon’s tail in an absurd display of pure strength. As he managed to tug the beast’s tail far from the ponies before it, the stallion’s silver eyes blazed with retribution as he roared brazenly, unbalancing the dragon with a sudden burst of might.

As the heroic figure approached, the grey-coated stallion felt a new sense of relief wash over. He could recognise that black on black coat and mane anywhere, and he only knew one pony who could show such a degree of brawn. But most of all, the one thing that removed all doubt that this pony was anyone but his father was the broad-rimmed black cowboy had resting firmly upon his head.

“West!” the grey-coated stallion cried out, his voice now free of the tone of fear that had been plaguing it, “Thank Celestia you’re here!”

“Yeah, thank Celestia.” West replied gruffly, his concerns elsewhere, “You okay kid? How about Arabelle?”

As he spoke her name, Arabelle righted herself and attempted to acknowledge her saviour, despite the fact she was hanging from the very dregs of unconsciousness. “We’re fine...” she said tentatively, the unicorn in her still trying to save face despite her condition, “But don’t waste time worrying about us... it’s that dragon we have to-”

Before she could properly finish her sentence, the dragon interrupted with an absolutely enraged roar, manifesting its rage by blasting the empty air above it with a furious breath of flames. It seemed that having its bloodlust consistently denied was pushing its already maddened mind to the very borders of insanity.

Both Arabelle and the grey-coated stallion beside her staggered in the face of the infuriated form of the dragon. Yet one among them held his ground, his mind racing for a way out of this deadly situation.

“We can’t stay here!” West yelled above the din, spurring the attention of the others, “Help Arabelle inside!” he commanded, his son jolting back to life as he realized it was directed at him, “We won’t last a minute out here in the open! It’s our only shot!”

Even as the trio scrambled to take cover inside the burning farmhouse, the grey-coated stallion’s confidence in his father hadn’t wavered. Since his appearance, the hopeless fear that had unnerved him was kept at bay, and light of hope was rekindled as quickly as it had been snuffed out.

And that was because he knew that despite everything, be it a burning house, an endless night, or legions of blood-crazed monsters, his father was the kind of pony you could depend on...

* * * *

Staring out the window at a sun well on its way to setting, the doctor anxiously made his way to the room of his one remaining patient. He was eager to shut down his clinic and get home, so he really hoped that the mushroom-eating fool in theater six was ready to be discharged.

He opened the door wide, half expecting to find the earth pony still asleep. But he was pleasantly surprised to find him sitting upright and rubbing an understandably aching head. In his lap was his jet back cowboy hat, which he had apparently taken from the bedside table when he woke. the blond maned pony continued to stare down at it until he noticed the doctor enter.

“Ah, good. You’ve awakened!” the doctor announced, causing the stallion to turn, “And not a moment too soon!

“How’s the head?” he asked, “Dizzy? What about the stomach? Woozy perhaps?”

The earth pony looked about once more before finally regaining his bearings. “Not really...” came the reply, slow and tentative at first, “Where... where am I?”

“Ponyville Urgent Care.” The doctor said, moving over to the bedside, “But don’t mind the name, it’s usually pretty tame around here. Though I’ve gotta say, you’re the first one we’ve had in a while who thought it’d be a good idea to chow down on a poisonous mushroom.”

“A what?” the grey-coated pony made to ask, but quickly changed tune, “Wait, how’d I get here?”
“One of the locals found you passed out by the forest.” The doctor replied, running a number of checks on the equipment strapped up to the hospital bed, “I’m pretty sure they found a friend and brought you here.

“That was closer to this morning though.” he continued, satisfied with whatever his inspection had yielded, “The cure has run it’s course and you’re free to go if you feel up to it.”

At what the doctor had said, the stallion adjusted his posture and stared out the window. It seemed that up until now, he hadn’t realized the day was almost over, the evening sky stained orange by a setting sun.

“Oh, right. Yeah.” the stallion replied in surprise, his speech all mixed up, “Sure. It’d be better if I was on my way. What I mean is, I’m good to go.

“Thanks for all the help.” he continued, his tone laced with embarrassment, “But... well, I’m afraid I can’t pay.”

“Heh, well I kind of expected that.” the doctor said honestly, waving off the stallion’s apparent guilt, “You just get home and get some rest. The girls who brought you here have agreed to make sure you get there in one piece. I’m pretty sure they’re downstairs at the moment.”

“Wait, what?” the stallion questioned, negotiating himself off the bed and back onto his own hooves, “Look... I appreciate it, but it’s just that-”

“It’s nothing to be embarrassed about.” The doctor interrupted, helping to balance the wobbling pony before him, “Regardless of whether or not you can pay, you are still a patient. And while it’s safe for me to discharge you with the advice to rest up, I’m not about to let somepony in your condition make their own way home.”

Still seeing an unsure expression on the earth pony’s face, the doctor stepped back to let him steady himself. “Look, if you don’t have anywhere to go, then just say.” he continued, “I’ll just have to keep you here under observation until-”

“No, it’s nothing like that.” the grey-coated pony replied, taking slow steps across the room and out the door, “I have a place in mind.”
“Thanks again doctor...” he said from the hall, “But I suppose I shouldn’t keep my ‘escorts’ waiting.”


His patient already gone, the frizzy-maned doctor just shook his head tiredly at the stallion’s behaviour. This stranger certainly was an odd one, and though he seemed fine, he couldn’t help but hope that he wouldn’t regret releasing him or charging those girls with getting the fool back to his home. As he continued to reflect on the strange encounter, he couldn’t help but realize he hadn’t even got a name out of the guy...


A few minutes later, the grey-coated stallion donned his black cowboy hat as he stood outside the front door to the hospital. He looked about, trying to regain his bearings and determine which way to go, but he was quickly interrupted as the front doors opened again, and a pair of pegasi trotted out in pursuit.

“I told you he snuck by us.” Rainbow Dash said sourly, nudging the yellow pegasus beside her before turning to berate the earth pony in front, “Hey, what’s the hurry buddy?

“Um... I’m sorry, but did the doctor forget to mention us by any chance?” Fluttershy mumbled, stalling her words as she questioned the stranger, “We’re the ones who are supposed to help you get back home, if that’s alright I mean...”

“We’re also the one’s who hauled your sorry flank all the way down here.” Rainbow Dash interjected, a direct contrast to the quiet pegasus beside her, “But that’s okay. Don’t mind us. Go ahead and run along...”

“Ah... well, thanks for the help then.” came the awkward reply, “I’ll go ahead and get out of your mane.”

“Oh, she doesn’t mean that.” Fluttershy spoke up, doing her best to intervene, “We would be happy to help you home.”

The grey-coated stallion blinked a few times, either not expecting, or even understanding such an offer. “Right.” he finally replied, trotting off to the left as he did so, “See ya.”

“Hrm?” the quiet pegasus questioned, “Hey, where are you off to?”

“I appreciate the gesture, but I’ve nowhere to stay in this town.” he replied as he trotted away, not even looking over his shoulder, “I’m just passing through on my way to Canterlot.”

“Oh, okay.” The yellow pegasus replied, “It’s just that... well, I’m sorry but the train station is that way.”

Fluttershy sheepishly indicated the opposite direction to which the grey earth pony was going. “But I’m afraid the last train left several hours ago...” she added, “You may have to wait until morning to get to Canterlot.”

“I suppose I’ll just have to make do.” Marco shot back, still moving ever forwards, “It isn’t... that far. I’m not in a position to buy my way aboard a train anyway.”

“Wow, the doc was right.” Dash said not so subtly, zipping from Fluttershy’s side to intercept the earth pony’s path forwards, “This one’s not too bright. If you wanna trot your way to Canterlot, then that’s your business, but you won’t get one leg out of Ponyville without collapsing again!”

The stallion slowed to a halt as his path became blocked. With neither of them speaking, he just stared up at Rainbow Dash as her previous words continued to dominate the silence.

“She has a point.” Fluttershy said bravely, successfully drawing his attention, “I mean, it’d be bad if you ran off. The doctor told us that you needed to rest more before you can get better...”

“Yeah, that’s right.” Dash nodded, hovering down and landing solidly on the path, “It was either us taking you to wherever you’re staying, or you staying in that hospital until you were good to go.”

“I already told you...” the tenacious earth pony replied, brushing past the troublesome pegasus, “I’m just passing through. I haven’t got a place in this town. It’d be best if you just get out of the way and let me carry on to Canterlot. They’ll be plenty of places to rest up there.”

“And I already told you that you wouldn’t make it!” Rainbow Dash retorted, “At this rate you’re gonna end up passed out and waiting for somepony to scoop you up and carry you back to hospital again. And it’s not going to be me!”


The weakened stallion couldn’t help but look over the pegasus’ shoulder and see the dimming sun not far from meeting the horizon. Regardless of whether or not what she was saying had anything to it, it was clear he wouldn’t get any further today.

It was pretty much night after all. Travel to the city would problematic, but access to it would be even more so. If he had his facts right, that place had a curfew, and if the train Fluttershy had mentioned stopped running, it would be for that reason.

The pony sighed, not pleased with having to resign to the insistence of these pegasi. “Fine. You win.” he finally spoke, causing Rainbow Dash’s posture to soften, “I’d appreciate it if you showed me to a place I could stay a night...”

* * * *

Night time in the royal palace is an environment far different from its regular daytime hustle. The flow of important ponies with their royal appointments had ceased, and in their wake, a tired princess Celestia retired to her study, her duties for the day having been completed.

The day had been somewhat more demanding that it normally was, but as she ascended the staircase that led to her chambers, she took comfort in the fact there was nopony left who wanted something from her. But as she opened the big door to her room, she quickly discovered that wasn’t quite true. Funnily enough however, the circumstances of that realization caused a smile to brighten her otherwise tired face.

Upon her couch, dozing peacefully was the sleeping figure of Captain Caliber. It seemed as if he had come looking for her at some point, and in waiting for her return, the pegasus must have decided to take a load off.

Ahem. Good evening Captain...” the princess spoke softly, but it was enough to stir the pegasus from his apparent slumber, “To what do I owe this pleasure?”

Caliber practically popped up off the couch as her voice broke through his unconscious. Instinctively he wiped at his chin, but he was saved the shame as his hoof came back clean. “Please forgive me princess...” he scrambled, intensely embarrassed, “I was... I was waiting for you and I guess I... I... I’m sorry.”

“Well forgive me if I kept you waiting.” Celestia smiled, “But it seems as though you’ve been working a bit hard. Shouldn’t you be up the hall and in your own room perhaps?”

“Well I did say I would be coming back...” Caliber replied, willing the pink in his cheeks to dissipate, “There was something I was hoping to run by you...”

“Ah, yes... you mentioned it this morning correct?” the princess asked, recalling the purpose behind the captain’s visit earlier today, “If I knew you’d end up here when you clearly should be resting, then I would have insisted for you stay behind right then and there.”

“Well, I thought you needed some time to yourself with this whole ‘sister business’...” Caliber replied, “Because as it happens, this thing I wanted to run by you isn’t entirely unrelated.”

“Is that so?” Celestia said intrigued, “Let’s hear it then. It’s getting late.”

“Well, I’ve been in and out of meetings all day yesterday and today with the bigwigs of the royal guard.” Caliber begun, “And since Shining Armour is out in the field, I’m essentially all they have left to call on.

“Anyway, they’ve been clamouring for my input on a particular issue since your sister came back.” he continued, “We’ve been having trouble figuring out how to form a new royal guard now that there is a new princess for us to protect and serve. Normally, your sister would be in charge of organizing it herself, but as you know, she isn’t being very... well, cooperative.”

“I understand your dilemma.” Celestia replied easily, “But for now, just continue to devote half of the royal guard to my sister. Even if she won’t let them in the palace, it will more than suffice in terms of security.”

“Do you really think that’s enough?” Caliber asked, “Remember, Shining Armour took a significant portion of the guard with him to ease the unrest down in the deep sea. They will not be available for some time...”

“Well, even without him around, you are doing a fine job of keeping the guard together.” Celestia replied, “Give yourself some credit captain. We remain safe under your watch.”

“That aside, I myself had an idea for the long term that I was meaning to discuss with you.” Caliber said, taking the princess’ compliment in stride, “Should your sister resume her reign over the moon, I was thinking that the current night guard could be re-purposed as her personal royal guard. However long it takes for her to accept her powers back, I’d have to train and filtrate a specialized royal guard.”

“Hrm, now that I hadn’t thought of.” Celestia replied honestly, tapping her muzzle in thought, “But it is a good idea. They would be used to the dark, and would certainly be more useful than a whole mess of new recruits...

“I like it.” She concluded, accepting the proposition, “That said, can I ask you to take charge of it on my behalf? I must continue to focus on Luna, but I am comfortable with entrusting the formation of her guard to you.”

“Then I will begin immediately.” Caliber said with a bow, preparing himself to leave the princess to her own business, “That is, if there is nothing else you need from me?”

“No, you have done much.” Celestia said as she turned to face the captain, “As always, your service is most appreciated.”

Half in and half out the door, Captain Caliber nodded reassuringly and offered her a quick smile. “If you need me again, you know where I’ll be.” he said respectfully, “Don’t worry princess... I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before your sister comes to her senses.”


The door closing audibly behind her, Celestia stared out of her study’s window, watching her sun close in on the horizon. She simply sighed, exhausted not by her long day, but by the heavy thoughts that had been eating at her. Such doubts were not easy to abide either, for even after living for as long as she had, the princess was definitely not used to dealing with the weight of this thing called ‘uncertainty’.

“Well then sister...” she said aloud, alone in the safety of her room, “I wonder... what is it that you are waiting for?”

* * * *

“Well, what are you waiting for?” Rainbow Dash complained, thrusting her hoof out in a pointing motion, “A written invitation?”

Standing before the oak door of Fluttershy’s humble little cottage, the grey-coated earth pony that Rainbow Dash was currently teasing looked from her outstretched hoof to the little house in confusion. “Wait, this is the place?” he asked, unsure of himself, “You said you were taking me to a place I could rest... to an inn!

“Just where do you think you are doofus?” Rainbow Dash questioned, “There’s nothing like that in Ponyville! But we promised to get you back to your place... and this is gonna have to do!”

“No way. This is too weird.” he said, turning as if to leave, “It’s a kind gesture, and I appreciate it, but this really isn’t what I thought you meant by a place to rest.”

Seeing that he really did intend to depart, Rainbow Dash exchanged a quick look with Fluttershy before the cyan pegasi dashed off in pursuit.

“Not so fast buddy.” she warned, “I don’t really care about what you’re hoping to achieve running off after being poisoned, but I made a promise to the doc. There’s no way I’m gonna let you hobble off just so somepony else has to deal with you!”

He made to refuse again, but he suddenly noticed where the two pegasi had led him. Not far beyond the cottage before him stood the harsh outline of Everfree Forest, complete with a haunting mist and thorny shroud of overgrowth. Seeing it again made his fatigue all the more present. He really did want to rest as soon as possible...

“It really isn’t a problem.” Fluttershy spoke up abruptly, reading the pony’s thoughts, “Truthfully, I’d be much more uncomfortable if I knew you were out there in need of help.”

The grey-coated earth pony just stared back at the shy pegasus. He couldn’t tell if it was his fatigued body or her kind nature, but despite his best efforts, there was simply no way to refuse her any longer.

“If it really isn’t any trouble...” he conceded, “Then can I please rest here?”

Seeing the stallion bow his head slightly, Fluttershy tilted her head to the side and smiled warmly. “Of course you can.” She replied happily, “In fact, I insist.”

“Urgh, finally!” Rainbow Dash announced in exacerbation, “Can I go home now?”

At this, Fluttershy suddenly jolted bolt upright and intercepted her friend before she could even think to leave her alone with a stranger.

Whatever whisperings that followed went unnoticed by the stallion, who shuffled tiredly inside without waiting for anypony to tell him to.


If he had a place for such thoughts, he would have been stricken by the inside of the deceptively simple cottage. In the centre of the living room was an odd pillar, contorted with curves and burrowed with hovels for what could only be small and agile critters.

Tiny eyes popped out from various cracks and warrens, and they simply watched the uncaring intruder glided uncaringly past their homes and through the living room in search of something to lay down upon.

It didn’t take him long to find it. Opposite a spiraling staircase adjacent to what seemed to be a kitchen was a flat and cushioned couch, which looked exceptionally comfortable given his tiredness.

His host probably had something else in mind, but he wasn’t about to waste time looking for it. Without delay he shuffled over and collapsed onto its spongy pillows.

Having followed him inside, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash breathed a sigh of relief, happy that the fool was finally off of his hooves.

“Can I get you anything?” Fluttershy asked the motionless earth pony, “Have you eaten or anything?”

There came no reply. In fact, the grey-coated stallion didn’t seem to register the girl’s presence at all...

“What’d I tell ya?” Rainbow Dash said nudging Fluttershy, having realized, “Dude fell asleep already. If I let him run off earlier, who knows what woulda happened!”

The cyan coated pegasus didn’t miss a beat, crudely poking at the stallion’s side with her hoof. “Check it out.” she chuckled, “He’s totally gone.”

“Oh, please don’t do that.” Fluttershy pleaded, pulling her friend away, “It’d be bad if he woke up.”

“Pft, fine.” Dash replied sourly, but quickly changed her tune, “How about that food you mentioned? If you’re gonna make me hang around, you should at least feed me! We’ve been running around after this guy all day, and I for one am starving!”

“Shhh, try to be quiet.” Fluttershy urged, moving Dash even further away from the dozing stallion, “I’ll get you some food so just relax.”

“By the way...” Dash interrupted, changing the topic before Fluttershy finally succeeded in moving her outspoken friend into the kitchen, “All this effort, but we didn’t even get a name yet did we?”

“Oh, I hadn’t noticed.” Fluttershy admitted, suddenly releasing her hold on Rainbow Dash, “I forgot to ask, and I don’t think the doctor could get anything out of him either.”

“Eh, whatever.” Dash replied casually, “Now hurry up and feed me! We can figure out names later; he’ll wake up eventually...”

* * * *

Back in the realm of dreams, the blazing skies had been replaced with a peaceful blue, and the frenzied chaos that had once dominated the awful nightmare was now a blissful clam. It was a different time; a different memory; a different feeling. It was the picture of peace. The settlement was in its prime, its bountiful fields and weathered structures still standing in defiance of the arid landscape. Nothing stirred, and not a thing threatened to disturb what would be yet another uneventful day in New Eureka...


“I know you’re in there!” somepony yelled, his booming voice cutting through the quiet afternoon air, “Come out already!”

The pony in question, jet-black in coat and donned in an equally dark cowboy hat to match, hammered down on the door in front of him, knocking on it with enthusiasm.

The door that was currently taking a beating belonged to the town’s library, which just so happened to be one of the few buildings in the town that virtually nopony visited. It was the home of the settlement’s one and only unicorn, and as she opened the door to find out who was causing such a ruckus, her eyes met with those of the visibly frustrated stallion on her doorstep.

“Oh, good afternoon Mr. West.” the unicorn said gracefully, “To what do I owe this, uh... pleasure?”

West looked over the familiar unicorn. Despite living in a town that would often leave grime patches on your coat and dust throughout one’s mane, her pure white coat was permanently spotless and her light brown mane was always perfectly styled. This, added to the fact that she was the only unicorn for a hundred miles and her alien mannerisms left most locals bewildered, no matter how many times West saw her she always looked like she didn’t belong.

“Cut the crap Arabelle.” West commanded, “Where’s my son?”

“Inside...” Arabelle replied tentatively, “But you mustn’t be so hard on the boy. He’s allowed to take a break from the orchard occasionally, no?

The big black stallion pushed in past the unicorn without a word. He scanned the library, searching its loaded shelves for some trace of a little grey-coated colt.

“I’m waiting...” he said imposingly, knowing that the colt was hiding somewhere listening, “You’ve dabbled here long enough. Harvest is in two weeks and the chores only pile up every time I have to come and pull you away from this nonsense!”

“Then hurry up and go back already!” the colt called, popping up from the top of one of the bookshelves, “I’m staying here and learning more about history and magic and stuff!”

West turned and shot a glare at Arabelle who was minding her own business at the far side of the room.

Sensing his eyes upon her, the unicorn simply shrugged knowingly. “What?” she questioned innocently, “If ponies come here to learn, then I teach. I’m not about to turn away such a clever colt because his fussy father would rather have the poor thing dragging a plough.”

“He’s not my father!” the colt exclaimed, tossing a random tome down in protest, “He’s just a big stupid meanie!”

Arabelle just sighed, sidestepping the falling books and hovering them back up into their shelves with the glow of her horn.

“Even if he is a short-tempered brat...” she commented, disapproving of his antics, “That said, the more you try to force him into farm work, the less he’s going to want to help, and the more he’s going to resent you for it.”

West sighed as well, a rogue book bopping him on the head. “But still... why here? Why books?” he asked, questioning both himself and Arabelle, “He’s a pure blood earth pony at heart, but he’s always in here trying to play unicorn.

“Honestly...” he continued, shaking his head tiredly, “I’m the one who adopted him, but you might as well be his mother.”

“That’s enough young one!” she announced, as if to affirm West’s comment, “Get down this instant!”

Not waiting for the little colt to comply, Arabelle let her horn pulse bright blue and wrapped the pony before her in a luminous aura. Gripped by her magic, the tiny foal wriggled as he was carefully lowered down and placed in front of the expectant gaze of his father.

“No fair!” the grey-coated colt complained, “Arabelle! That’s cheating!”

“Life ain’t fair kid.” West said disapprovingly, lifting his son up off the ground now that he was within reach, “Now come on back to the farm. We’ve bothered Arabelle enough with your foolishness.”

West didn’t wait for farewells before dragging the boy out of the library. Securing him upon his back, the two were back on the road before the colt could even begin to complain.

Watching the pair disappear in a cloud of dust, Arabelle stood in the doorway and waved mischievously to the colt draped over West’s back. “Come again anytime little one!” she called out after them, paying no mind to West, “The next lesson is on predictions and prophecies! I have all the volumes so make sure you read them!”

Yeah!” came the reply, the distance between the two quieting the shout, “I can’t wait!


The library now a spec in the distance, West looked back to his son to see a bold smile cross his face. “Would it kill you to listen to anything I say?” he asked, his tone ambiguous, “Really... what am I going to do with you?”

At first, there came no reply. But sure enough, the little foal’s head turned to face his father with that same smile still creasing his face. “Hey.” he whispered, “I’ve decided.”

Decided?” West repeated, “Decided what?”

“Arabelle keeps telling me that Equestria is so much bigger than this desert.” the colt replied distantly, “I wanna see it. I wanna know just how much else there is to find out there. I wanna learn everything there is to know about it.

“I decided... just then...” he continued, a fire in his eyes, “When I grow up I’m gonna leave this place and see that world with my own eyes!”

The two continued into the distance, a heavy silence reigning...

“Damn it Arabelle.” West said, half proud and half annoyed, “You’ve really gone and given the boy some crazy dreams.”

“Hrm?” the colt on his back mumbled, too absorbed in his own imaginings to hear his father, “Did you say something?”

“Heh, nope.” Came the reply, an invisible smile present on West’s face, “But you sound pretty sure of yourself back there. Are you sure you’re up for it? The world really is a big place, seeing all of it will not be easy.”

“Uh-huh. But I’m still gonna do it!” the blond-manned colt said resolute, “Arabelle can teach me everything I’ll ever need to know!”

“Still not that simple.” West commented harshly, testing his son’s determination, “You need to be fit, strong and hardy. Even if you were as strong as me it still wouldn’t be enough to take you the distance.”

The air went quiet again. That last part had apparently hit home-

“Then I’ll get strong enough!” the colt announced, taking his father by surprise, “I’ll buck every apple and plough every field until I’ve got what it takes!”

West stopped. Without a word, he plucked his son from his back and sat him down on the dusty path below.

“If you’re serious, then I’ll make you a deal.” he said, his bold black hat blotting out the sun from the colt’s eyes, “You can make your own way from the farm to Arabelle’s once each day and learn whatever drivel you wish.

“But in exchange...” he continued, pointing his hoof to his son, “You must be back in time to complete whatever chores I give you. It won’t be easy, and it’ll only get harder, but it’ll make you stronger.”

Beaming, the little colt nodded furiously to hear his father finally approve of his thirst for knowledge.

“Well then, the hard part starts now.” West said with a grin, “You can forget me carrying you around on my back. In fact, if you can’t beat me back to the farm, your punishment will be carrying a dozen cider barrels up from the cellar and back down again.”

West smiled again to see the little pony’s jaw drop. He might just be able to make a stallion out of him yet. “So? What are you waiting for boy?” he roared, “Start running!

* * * *

They grey-coated stallion awoke to a harsh prod to his side. Having been so suddenly pulled from his dream, the pony rocketed upwards and almost fell right off his improvised bedding. Whatever force that was responsible for waking him was quickly hidden by a blue blur, the blanket draped over his sleeping figure flying off and collecting the intruder the moment he sprung up in his surprise.

The first thing he noticed was that the sun was still up, but he quickly realized that wasn’t true. It was a rising sun shining in his eyes, informing the dazed earth pony of the fact that it was morning.

He stared up, surprised that he had managed to sleep solidly throughout the whole night at some stranger’s house. It also didn’t escape his notice that this was one of the few times he had woken up from anything but his tormenting nightmares. The dream was still fresh in his mind, and he couldn’t figure out how he managed to get a reprieve from those horrid memories.

He would’ve continued to think about it, but his attention was quickly diverted as the blue blanket he had sent flying begun to shudder and tumble, until a tiny, yellow-coated filly emerged from the entangled mess. “Pwoah!” the red-ribboned filly exclaimed, shrugging off the tumble, “What in the-”

She cut herself off. Looking up, she noticed the confused stallion she had disturbed staring down at her with interest. It was she could do to stare back innocently with her adorable round eyes, countering any attempt the stranger might make to get her into trouble.

She must have sensed that the confused stallion was about to ask her something, because she instantly popped herself free from the blanket and bounced off with energetic steps. “Big sis!” the little thing called out, “The grey guy’s up!”

Grey guy?” was all he could respond with, the little filly disappearing around the corner. For a fleeting moment the room went dead silent, and if the stallion had any idea of what were about to come, he would’ve savoured the quiet.

“What’s with all the ruckus?” an orange-coated earth pony called out, entering the room with the bouncing filly close behind, “Oh, I coulda guessed. Applebloom! What’d I say?”

“Sorry sis.” Applebloom mumbled, “I was just tryin’ ta get a look at his cutie mark.”

“I’m awful sorry for my sis.” the heavily accented earth pony said, moving her attention from her sister to the understandably confused stallion before her, “I guess poor Fluttershy still has some trouble keepin’ her in one place.

“So, ‘grey guy’...” she continued, quickly changing the subject, unconsciously overlapping her front hooves as she did so, “Dash tells me you ain’t hard to watch over. If you hadn’t noticed, you slept like a stone from dusk til’ dawn.”

“Dash? Fluttershy?” the stallion repeated, looking about himself, “Who’re they?”

“Never told you their names eh?” the heavy accented mare replied, “Heh, well there’s no way you could forget Rainbow Dash. She’s the blue one with the mane in all sorts of funky colours.”

“But she ain’t here right now!” the little yellow filly exclaimed, jumping up, “She does a lot of cool weather stuff around here and she couldn’t hang around. That’s when me an’ my sis came around!”

“That’d be me.” The orange-coated earth pony said with a wink, “Applejack’s the name. This here’s Applebloom if you didn’t figure that out already.”

“And I’m Fluttershy...” came a softly spoken voice, heralding the appearance of the yellow pegasus from last night, “Oh, I’m sorry if I interrupted you Applejack. I just wanted to make sure everything was alright.”

For the first time since the stallion had woken up, he finally recognized somepony.

“I was worried...” Fluttershy continued, flying over timidly to give her guest the once over, “You slept for so long. Maybe the doctor shouldn’t have let you out after all.”

“Nonsense.” the stallion replied, taking everypony by surprise with an honest smile, “I feel way better now!”

At his reply, Fluttershy almost fell over in surprise. Applejack simply voiced her surprise with a modest chuckle. “Well ain’t you uppity?” she commented honestly, “And here Fluttershy was warning me you were nothin’ but a grump!”

“I didn’t say that!” Fluttershy defended, quickly covering for herself, “Well, I didn’t say grump...”

“Hehe, anyway... it just goes to show what kinda good a nice snooze will do ya.” Applejack said with a nod, “I betcha you’d feel even better with a bit of breakfast in ya belly.”

“I’d hate to impose any more than I already have.” the stallion replied genuinely, “I would much rather be on my way.”

“Rainbow did get one thing right. This guy’s dense.” Applejack said unamused, “The fastest way for you to be back out there is to get your strength up. And I know you’ve gotta be hungry if its true you tried your luck on a poisonous mushroom.”

“Well I...” the stallion begun, but cut himself off with a sigh, “I... I give up. The ponies in this town are damn hard to refuse.”

“Yep, well that’s Ponyville for ya.” Applebloom interjected, bouncing up and down in a vain attempt to be included in the bigger ponies’ discussion, “I guess you ain’t from around here are you grey guy?”

You could say that.” came the reply, “A fair way from Ponyville at least.”

As he waved her little sister’s question off, Applejack seemed to be the only one who noticed how deliberately the stallion had dodged the question. But she didn’t think much of it, for a different question plagued her mind...

“Well then...” she begun, changing topic, “Unless you wanna get stuck with ‘grey guy’, how about we hear that name now?”

“My name?” the stallion repeated, “Oh wow, I guess I haven’t introduced myself yet huh?”

Fluttershy shook her head silently while Applebloom and her elder sister listened attentively. It seemed that they had been waiting for this for quite some time.

“Sorry, I hadn’t noticed.” he admitted, “Anyway... my name is Lawmark. But you can just call me-”

Lawmark?” Applebloom said, cocking her head to the side as she tried to process the unusual name, “How weird. Makes you sound like you’re a policemare or something.”

“Yeah, I don’t like it either.” he admitted, “That’s why I prefer to go by-”

“Law... mark.” Applebloom tried rolling the name around in her mouth, “Hey, I got an idea. How about... Marco?

“Marco huh?” he said, a sombreness to his voice, “Only one pony’s ever called me that before...”

“I like it.” Fluttershy interjected, sensing ‘Marco’s’ hesitation, “It’s much nicer that ‘Law’ or ‘Lawmark’ anyway...”

“So, Marco...” Applejack spoke up, asserting the new nickname, “Do you mind telling us how you managed to get yourself poisoned?”

The grey-coated stallion scuffled his hooves awkwardly, considering recounting the story. “Uh, well it’s not terribly interesting...” he finally answered, “But I ended up getting a bit lost inside Everfree Forest, and well...

“Well, you could say that I got a bit delirious after a while.” he confessed, “I’m normally pretty good with identifying herbs and stuff, but I guess I messed up and thought I’d found a safe mushroom. I guess you know the rest...”

“Hang on, y’all didn’t say nothing ‘bout no Everfree Forest...” Applejack said confused, turning to face Fluttershy, “What exactly were you an’ Dash doing out there then?”

“No, no... Dash found him outside the forest, close to here actually.” the softly spoken pegasus corrected her friend, “We never went into the forest.”

“So what were you doing in the forest?” Applebloom asked, butting in, “And how do you know so much about herbs and stuff?”

“Everfree Forest was my only path through to here.” Marco replied matter-of-factly, “And I just so happen to know a little herbalism on the side.”

Silently monitoring the exchange, Applejack made note of how Marco had apparently avoided specifics again. He had neglected to mention where he had come from, or where he was going, and on top of that, Applejack also wondered how many ponies there are who ‘just happen’ to know herbalism. Something about it wasn’t sitting right with her, but she continued to hold her honest tongue regardless.

“Oh, I forgot the most important question of all!” Applebloom announced, her excited bouncing pulling her sister from her thoughts, “Can we see your cutie mark?”

The question struck Applejack and Fluttershy too. They exchanged a quick look before realizing that, with everything else that was going on, they hadn’t paid due attention to Marco’s cutie mark.

By way of response, Marco hefted himself off of his makeshift bedding and turned to the side, proudly displaying his mark for the small group before him.

Applebloom couldn’t help herself. “Oooh...” she said in awe, “What’s that cutie mark?”

Blending nicely into his rich charcoal coat, Marco’s cutie mark was certainly an interesting one to behold. It depicted the image of a tightly closed tome, its black covers sealed with a gold metallic lining. The book was diagonally orientated, and the alicorn insignia on its cover faced forward. On second inspection however, the insignia wasn’t that of an alicorn after all, as there was no horn or wings. Either way, none of the girls had seen anything like it before...

“Growing up, I was about the only pony I knew who cared about reading.” Marco said, his voice distant, “I was at the library every chance I got learning anything and everything that I could get my hooves on.” he sighed quietly before continuing, “There’s not much I’m more proud of than having this mark.”

“Wow, that’s so cool!” Applebloom said in awe, her bouncing becoming even more energetic, “How’d you get it? Huh? How old were you?”

“I was still a colt, that’s for sure. Hrm, I was one of the last out of the ponies I knew to get it though.” Marco answered, his mind wandering, “I got it when...well, it was the first time I stuck up to my father and told him I wanted to learn over helping his orchard. He was about to rip me a new one too, but then it appeared.”

“Don’t get any funny ideas Applebloom...” Applejack warned playfully, “The Acres’d fall to pieces without ya.”

“Acres?” Marco asked, “Are you from an orchard too?”

Too?” Applejack repeated, capitalizing on Marco’s apparent slip of the tongue, “That’d make you a farm pony then wouldn’t it?”

“Um, yeah... I guess.” Marco managed, realizing his mistake, “Small world.”

“No kidding! Apples right?” Applejack asked, in her element, “Where abouts? I know just about every apple orchard from here to Hordimare-”

“Nowhere really...” Marco tried in vain to cut her off, “I mean, you wouldn’t know it. Trust me.”

That’s it Grey Guy...’ Applejack thought, her suspicions finally finding solid ground, ‘Three strikes. You’re out.

“C’mon, try me.” she retorted purposefully, seeking to expose a truth or two, “Or is there some reason you don’t want us to know?”

Applejack’s intent was not lost on Fluttershy. “Wait, what’s the matter?” she asked her friend, unsettled by the sudden change in tone, “What do you mean by that?”

“Sorry sugarcube, but this don’t sit with me.” Applejack replied, voicing her suspicions, “Listen here Marco, I don’t mind if you’re trying to be all mysterious on us, but I’m not about to stand for somepony who’s lyin’ to folk who’re only trying to help him.”

“Whoa there, settle down sis...” Applebloom spoke up, “What’s the problem?”

“The problem is, this guy hasn’t told the truth since he opened his mouth!” she replied, tuning to address Marco specifically, “Am I wrong? We got a nice story about a cutie mark, but you seem to be doing your best to avoid telling us what you were doing in the forest, where you came from and where you’re going...”

Marco grimaced. As Applejack’s focused gaze bared down on him, his mind raced to come up with a way to avoid going down this path, but there was something about her tone made him reconsider her seriousness. He could tell Applejack was far from convinced that anything about him was genuine, and he didn’t have to think too hard about why that was.

Marco didn’t want to tell them, but perhaps they deserved to know. Either way, the words wouldn’t come, and he couldn’t ignore the chill that was gripping him. His heart was beating hard and it felt like it was halfway up his throat. He was also perspiring rapidly, but it went unnoticed.

“Okay...” he said finally as he managed to regain his voice, however flimsy, “I came from a town called New Eureka...”

Applejack’s eyes narrowed. When she spoke, her voice was deep and flat. “Where?” she demanded, her voice laced with malice, “I didn’t quite catch that...”

“New Eureka...” Marco replied, his voice shaky and broken by short sharp breaths, “A settlement village... up... up north.”

Fluttershy was the first to notice what was happening. Marco wasn’t stressing out because he was lying, he was stressed out because he was being forced into something he couldn’t handle. She made to stop Applejack, but her tiny voice stood no chance, easily overpowered by the fiery interrogation.

Never heard of it!” Applejack blasted, beyond convinced that the stallion was lying.

“I’m not surprised.” Marco said, pushing his words through clenched teeth.

“Um, Applejack...” Fluttershy tried again in vein.

Now even Applebloom was concerned. Her sister’s intentions were pure, but she was pushing Marco into a corner and he wasn’t dealing with it very well.

“Well then, what’s a settler pony doing here then?” Applejack asked, “Dash said you mentioned Canterlot...”

“Yes, well...” Marco struggled, “I have, some uh, family business...”

“Family huh?” Applejack pressed, pursuing her advantage, “Back home at ‘Eureka’ right?”

“Yes...” he said gasping, her words piercing like daggers. A combined wave of dizziness, nausea and claustrophobia hit him hard. Those key words echoed through his mind. ‘Family’... ‘Home’...

The black hat on his head suddenly felt ten times heavier. Everything was too heavy. Those fragile emotions Marco thought he buried came crashing down on him. He couldn’t handle the weight of it all. He felt faint...

Applejack still kept her momentum, ignorant of Marco’s imminent breakdown. She made to keep pushing him, made to dig deeper, but an unexpected force denied her next question.


The once timid pegasus darted between the stunned Applejack and the trembling Marco. Once she spoke, everypony felt the fury in her voice. “Applejack!” she cried with an uncharacteristic volume, “Stop this nonsense!”

The unexpected outburst snapping her back to reality, Applejack broke free from her zealous interrogation just in time to see what it had yielded. The stallion before her was almost breathless, and whatever expression he wore was masked beneath his downcast hat.

She regretted her behaviour immediately, but whatever she intended to say was denied as Fluttershy took the lead and zipped over to attend to him.

“Are you okay?” she asked alarmed, putting a cautious hoof to his shoulder, “You’re shivering. What’s wrong?”

“It’s nothing.” Marco replied, not looking up or registering the pegasus beside him, “I guess I’m still a bit sick...”

“Forgive me...” he said, little more than a whisper, “But I should probably rest some more.”

This time, Fluttershy was the first to understand that Marco wasn’t being genuine. And she wasn’t about to let that slide when something else was quite clearly wrong with-

“You heard him sugarcube.” Applejack said, grabbing her friend’s tail and tugging her from the stallion’s side, “We’d best leave him to it if you want him better.”

“But Applejack!” Fluttershy tried to argue as she was dragged away, “He-”

“Yeah, I know...” the earth pony replied, successfully getting the good-intentioned pegasus out of range of the living room, “But you gotta leave him be.”

A confused silence hung for a moment, but Applebloom came in to change the pace, scurrying over to the two as she followed them out of the living room. “What’s going on sis?” she asked innocently, “The ‘grey guy’ ain’t lookin’ so good.”

“Oh, I agree!” Fluttershy said nervously, moving beside little Applebloom as the two looked up at her with confused eyes, “He’s practically keeled over in there!”

“No amount of nursing is gonna fix that.” Applejack replied, her voice heavy with regret, “We’ll do nothin’ but make it worse if we don't leave him alone at the moment.” she sighed, “How could ah be so insensitive...”

“Now what’re you talkin’ about?” Applebloom asked, still ignorant to what was happening, “Wasn’t he sick?”

“Not from no poison he ain’t.” Applejack answered her sister, lowering her voice somewhat, “I thought he was just nervous ‘cause he was up to no good, but he got real shaky about all that home and family stuff. Something bad must’ve happened for him to freak out like that...”

“Oh my...” Fluttershy gasped, the pieces coming together in her mind, “What should we do?”

“The only thing we can...” Applejack whispered in reply, “Looking back to the living room where the poor stallion lay, “Let him sleep it off.

“But still...” she continued, her own guilt weighing heavily upon her, “This is all my fault. I was way out of line, and I don’t know what woulda happened if you didn’t stop me when you did... I need ‘ta make it up to him somehow.”

“Well, he still didn’t end up getting any food...” Fluttershy pointed out, “How about you help me in the kitchen? If he stirs, I’m sure he will be hungry.”

Applejack smiled lightly as her friend placed a comforting hoof upon her shoulder. “Try not to worry about it.” Fluttershy said reassuringly, “He was a nice pony... if you apologise, I’m sure it’ll all be water under the bridge.”

“Thanks sugarcube.” the honest earth pony replied, embracing the comfort of her friend, “Alrighty then... how about we get shakin’ in the kitchen?”

“Applebloom?” Fluttershy asked the filly, who’s head was still peering back to the living room, “Would you like to help?”

“Ya-huh!” she exclaimed, turning from the scene to follow her sister out, “You’ll have to teach me though...”

“She ain’t kidding.” Applejack joked, “My sis is a terror in the kitchen...”


From the darkened living room, the giggling and playful remarks faded away into relative silence as they moved into the furthest area of the cottage. Not that they would be heard anyway, the grey stallion laying quietly on his little couch already retaken by the realm of dreams.

* * * *

Unfortunately, this time the skies were no longer blue. The nightmare having been rekindled by the emotions that were just resurfaced, Marco’s mind saw fit to bring the conclusion of that fateful night back to life.


At the farmhouse, things had gone from bad to worse. With the once humble house barely remaining standing as it burnt away, Arabelle kept the dragon outside preoccupied with her spells while Marco and West resolved to find access to the underground cellar through the blazing ruins of their destroyed home.

Marco followed behind his father as the came upon dead end after dead end in the once familiar house. Flaming walls slanted, stairs had collapsed, and floorboards had burned away. And all the while, the dragon outside continued to roar periodically, engaged in a hopelessly one-sided battle with Arabelle.

But the unicorn was putting up a hell of a fight. From illusions to bolts of water, the exhausted pony’s spells thundered out one after another in a desperate attempt to keep the raging beast preoccupied.

Whatever power she had latched onto in order to exceed her previous exhaustion was itself pushed to its very limits as she managed to keep forcing spells from her overworked horn. The thing physically throbbed with pain, as if it were in danger of fracturing with each burst of magical energy.

Just as she thought she could defy the unstoppable creature no more, she was bailed off of her haunches as it buffeted its wings and sent a mighty artificial gust of wind rushing her direction. Arabelle unsteadily got herself back on her hooves, but she was surprised to see the dragon growl in satisfaction. She was confused for a moment, but then she heard the horrid groan of weakened timber evolve into the deafening crash of steel and splinters.

As half of the farmhouse broke away and collapsed in upon itself from the gust of wind tearing through it, Arabelle turned to witness the whole southern side crumble in a heap of twisted wood and snuffed embers. The exhaustion present on her face instantly transformed to one of utmost dread...

“Marco!” she cried, her voice rising above the roar of the carnage, “West!


Inside the broken farmhouse, West’s world was turned upside down. When the wind ripped through, he sheltered his son with his own body and watched the whole room beside him get torn away in a flurry of flying wood. What remained of the house tilted slightly, pushed off of its axis by the dragon’s efforts.

Simply put, the flaming labyrinth through which the pair of earth ponies search had just been reinvented. Oddly enough however, the beast’s actions had been for the better. In one fell swoop, the smoke blinding West and his son had been collected by the raging winds, and the thick wooden wall next to Marco had lost a few pieces, and through the gaps the grey-coated stallion could see the dark coloured stone in the centre of the adjacent room.

“I found it!” he exclaimed, announcing his discovery, “West! The cellar’s on the other side!”

His father heard the words, but he didn’t acknowledge them. For through the gaping rend made next to him, he could see outside, the image of the dragon and its exhausted opponent clear before him.

“Arabelle!” he roared, answering her desperate call, “We’re fine! And we found the cellar! Hurry! Get over here!”

Her look of fear faded fast, replaced by one of relief. West couldn’t be sure, but it almost looked as if the unicorn begun to smile. “Oh, thank Celestia...” she breathed, closing her eyes, “I’m... so glad.”

“Arabelle!” West yelled again, seeing the dragon take a step forward from the darkness behind her, “Come on! You’ve gotta run!”

A deep, cold feeling sunk in the stallion’s chest. The dragon approached, yet Arabelle did not waver. Her legs did not move, her head did not turn, and her eyes remained shut...

Arabelle!” West screamed, the dragon rising victoriously over the motionless unicorn, “Don’t do this-”

But it was too late. The choking black smoke rising to signal the end, the dragon took one final look down at the enemy who had finally reigned to her fate, the burning liquids welling up within its gullet begging for release.

The last thing West saw before the fire consumed her, was Arabelle’s open eyes. She still smiled, the bright and subtle gesture outweighing all the ugliness around her. And in West’s mind, his vision of her glimmered, her soiled coat and tangled mane purified by the beauty of that smile. Her look was a farewell that could not be conveyed in words. Even with the aid of every single one of the books she had spent her life accumulating, they would all fail in describing her goodbye.

The blaze blinding him, West turned away, either on reflex or from disgust. Every nerve in his body tingled with sadness, but as that damned beast looked up from what it had wrought and snorted with satisfaction, whatever emotion West was feeling transformed into a fury that outweighed the madness of any monster this night had to offer...

“West?” Marco questioned, ignorant to the death of Arabelle, “What’s going on-”

He never got a chance to finish his sentence. The very earth quaking, the dragon announced its victory with an ear-splitting roar that absolutely cut through the unnatural night.

West was beyond furious, but he knew he could not indulge his rage. As the dragon made long, purposeful strides over to the ruins of the farmhouse, the stallion knew his first priority was getting his son out of harms way and into the cellar. So he ran. Grabbing Marco as he passed, West charged toward the wall that stood between him and salvation.

There was no time for Marco to question his father’s actions. Because in the next instant, West collided with the one of the last walls that hadn’t been bested by the dragon’s earlier wing buffet. With a full bodied roar and his son in tow, the massive black stallion put all of his anger into the strongest tackle of his life. The damaged mass of wood didn’t have a prayer. Carving the way forward, West stumbled through the new opening with his dumbstruck son falling through behind him.

Shaking it off and helping Marco back up, West shuffled the stallion towards the stone entrance of their underground cellar. It was barely out of reach, and in letting his son go first, West shot a concerned look behind him, half expecting to see the dragon close behind. But as his eyes panned over every hole, crack and tear that provided an opening to the darkness outside, the stallion couldn’t see it anywhere...

That’s when it happened. Forewarned by its grumbling howl, the dragon shocked West to the core by peering down at his exposed figure from the torn-open wreckage to his right. He made to call for Marco to hurry, but it was already too late. Neither of them had a chance for a second thought before the beast swung its mighty tail, sweeping low in a vicious attempt to level the entire farmhouse.

Already weakened from the cutting wind and hungry flames, the farmhouse put up no resistance to the great blow. The spiny tail absolutely cleaved through what lay before it, putting West’s heroic tackle to shame as the once sturdy wall snapped and tore like it were made of twigs.

Still by the wall, West saw the future as the jagged mass crumpled down on him. Marco on the other hoof had gotten off relatively unscathed, wooden shrapnel bouncing harmlessly off of his motionless figure. He didn’t even notice it; he couldn’t tear his attention away as he saw the figure of West get completely buried in the flaming and jagged pieces of wall raining down on him.

“West!” Marco cried as he dived to the rubble, tearing at the flaming wood in a desperate attempt to unearth his father, “Are you okay?! Say something!

There came no reply, but Marco didn’t slow down. Even as his hooves became filled with splinters, he continued to part the mess of twisted wood until the one remaining hulk of wall was lifted and thrown strongly to the side. But as he revealed what lay beneath it, the stallion stopped dead in his tracks. His aching hooves were gone from his mind, as was the intense heat all around. His pupils were dilated and still, reflecting the grizzly scene before the stallion through watering eyes.

“Quit your crying boy...” his father’s weakened voice rose up, “All those years... pushing you forward...” he continued, his speech broken as he gagged on a blood-filled cough, “Didn’t you put up with it... so you wouldn’t have to cry... anymore?”

Marco could barely believe his eyes. Before him lay the figure of his father, laid flat upon the crushed floorboards and surrounded by the rubble that had once been on top of him. His trademark hat lay before outstretched hooves that quivered as an intense pain raged throughout his body.

Even as his father spoke, Marco barely heard the words. All he could see was that long jagged piece of wood, somehow still alight, protruding grimly from his father’s side...

Marco!” West yelled through bloodied teeth, forcing a shout, “Snap out of it!”

The stallion stirred this time, his father’s pained shout breaking his son from his transfixed stare. The flow of tears hadn’t yet halted, but through his fogged vision he could see West’s body jitter and try to rise, going in to shock...

Dad!” Marco cried, his voice shaking and stuttering as he stepped up to his father’s agonized figure, “Please... you’ve gotta get up! The cellar... it’s right there!”

At that moment, the horrendous pain subduing West’s mind suddenly halted, some realization reviving the consciousness that was but a moment from fading. It was what Marco had said. West always knew that his son loved him a great deal, but despite everything, he had always been bitter and resentful of the fact he was adopted, and thus never called his father anything but his name. Yet that same bad-tempered, cry-baby brat had just...

His mind fogged by the mortal wound, West felt himself drifting weightlessly as he tried to regain focus. Though it was difficult, his willpower prevailed and granted his eyes the vision required to look up at his son. The face he saw was the one he was expecting, stupefied with sorrow, the tears bailing from his eyes like torrents, and his bottom lip trembling in the same pathetic fashion it always had...

As the black stallion looked upon his son, colourful flashbacks blessed his consciousness. He could see himself taking in the sobbing mess of a colt, pushing him hard at the orchard, watching him grow into the insatiable egghead he was, constantly defying him to terrorize poor Arabelle with his frivolous nonsense...

The sting of his wound cut the visions short, but West had seen enough to gain clarity. Blocking out his agony, and ignoring the flow of blood that slicked his mane red, he brought his sprawled hooves in, trying admirably to reach eye-level with Marco.

“What are you waiting for boy?” West spoke up, his voice crisp and loud in defiance of his injury, “You know what you have to do.”
“But... you promised...” Marco drivelled, his voice overtaken by wrecking sobs, “You said you’d always be there... that I could always depend on you! You have to get up! You have to!

At first, West’s body wouldn’t obey, but through a huge force of will, he overcame the paralysis and denied the pain as he lifted his front legs up just enough for him to reach forward and press his trademark cowboy hat roughly upon Marco’s head. When his face re-emerged from under the loose fitting hat, Marco’s eyes had dried, the tears paused by his father’s gesture.

“It’s up to you to become somepony who others can depend on.” West said weakly, noticing the tears return to his son’s eyes, “Promise me.” he continued, his speech interrupted by yet another bloodied cough, “Swear to me... that as long as you wear that hat, you’ll be the kind of pony that even I could depend on...”

Stop talking like you’re gonna to die!” Marco yelled, his vision of his father blurred beyond recognition through his overflowing eyes, “I’ll carry you, so just... so just stay alive okay?!

Alerted to the pair’s survival, the black dragon still towering over the scene let its savage roar rip for one final time, its intention to close the curtain obvious to all.

“Go on an’ git!” West roared above the din, “That’s an order!

The urgent plea resonated strongly within Marco. He couldn’t even begin to imagine how many times his father had barked that very same command over all those long years. Despite the heat all around him, Marco felt a different kind of warmth rise up in his belly. It was the kind of warmth that could only be described as love.

He lunged across the broken floor, not towards the open cellar, but towards his father and the flaming wreckage. He hugged him roughly and honestly, ignoring the blood as he wrapped his hooves around his father’s neck.

Whatever pain West was feeling became numbed out by the embrace. On the verge of death, it was all he could do to heft his front hoof onto his son’s shoulder and pull him closer.

“Goodbye dad.” Marco said as steadily as he could, “I’ll make you proud.”

“Even now, you really never listen huh?” West said, fading fast, “I guess we’re alike after all...

“We loved you kiddo.” he whispered, a smile forming as he drew that final breath, “Don’t you ever forget it.”


West’s dying moments were a blessing of bright, blissful memories. He saw a young Marco hanging from the scaffold, hammering a roof to completion, a field of lush apple trees, and his own proud smile reflected in the beautiful eyes of his favourite unicorn.

As his heart beat for that last time, there was no pain or fear, and no room for uncertainties. The light inside, flickering its way to extinction, flashed boldly before it became no more...


Marco’s heart sank to feel his father’s hoof go limp upon his back. He pulled away just in time to see the only tear ever shed by West roll silently down his lifeless face.

A million emotions buzzed like electricity, sorrow gripping him once more. His body locked up for the final time, frozen in place despite the all-consuming fire raging all around him. He was now alone in the middle of the destruction, hopelessly destitute in the middle of the hellish night. But as the feeling of helplessness begun to find purchase in the far reaches of his unstable mind, his father’s parting gift became weighty on his head.

And it was as simple as that. Championing the treasured hat, Marco rose above his fears and regained himself just in time to see the mighty dragon staring down at him with indifferent eyes.

But Marco wasn’t about to wait for what he knew was about to happen. He dashed across the broken floor, making a beeline for the cellar without even a glance backwards. His quick thinking would be his salvation. The instant he disappeared down the shaft like entrance to the cellar and slammed its great door shut, the floor above was utterly consumed by the most violent burst of flames yet.

Back on the surface, the black beast would continue to prowl. Through the flaming wreckage it would rifle, searching intently for any life it hadn’t yet snuffed out. After a few minutes, it would resume its devastation elsewhere, not noticing the layer of stone shimmering just below the remains of the destroyed farmhouse.


For Marco, diving into the cellar was like diving into another world. Outside, the night was lit up with flames, but down here, it was a world of total darkness. The thunderous crash of wood and the howls of crazed beasts were completely silenced, sound unable to penetrate the thick stone enclosure. The only thing that remained was the heat. It was positively boiling in the cellar, the flames outside transforming it into something not unlike an oven.

In what he could only guess to be the centre of the room, Marco collapsed as the trauma finally begun to take hold. His moment of bravery long gone, he laid there on the hot stone floor with his father’s hat tugged down over his eyes, biting his bottom lip in between quivering teeth as fresh tears begun to stream down his face once again.


And so, all alone in the hot dark silence... the exhausted pony just wept.

* * * *

Marco woke to the crash of pots and pans. Fluttershy had been transporting them from the living room to the kitchen, but she dropped them all as she passed his agonized figure. Seeing him squirming restlessly, sweating bullets, and muttering some curious things, the shy pegasus didn’t think twice before she rushed over to attend to him.

Having been so suddenly roused from his nightmare, Marco jolted upright, his mind lagging behind as he was thrown back into reality. As the realization struck that it was just that horrid dream again, Marco’s expression went from one of shock to sombre resentment.


As she saw his deadpan eyes drift over to face her, Fluttershy’s face ran red in embarrassment. “Oh, I’m so sorry!” the poor pegasus stuttered, “But you just looked so-”

Save it.” Marco hissed sourly, but cut himself off and shelved those lingering emotions, “Ah... erm, sorry Fluttershy. I didn’t mean that. It’s just...” he continued awkwardly, fearing he might have said her name wrong, “It’s just... well, my mind was somewhere else.”

Fluttershy lit up to see Marco regain himself, her face regaining its colour as she took the apology in stride. Marco sighed in relief; she was obviously a shy and sensitive pony, a failed apology would have had bad consequences.

“Bad dream?” she probed, fishing for information. Marco was surprised that the pegasus had figured out what he’d meant. Or maybe she...

“You were so restless!” Fluttershy pushed, “I couldn’t not wake you!”

His surprise vanishing, Marco’s apologetic tone was instantly replaced by one of a most uncharacteristic seriousness. “Did I say anything in my sleep?” he asked directly.

“Oh, no, um, I didn’t hear anything” the yellow pegasus stuttered, obviously intimidated.

Marco could have guessed that Fluttershy was a bad liar, but that was pathetic. All he had to do was adjust the intensity of his stare to get her to finish...

“B...b...but you were mumbling things.” she whimpered, masking her face below her fringe, “I couldn’t make any of it out though...”

Marco was unsettled, but he realized he was being too hard on the poor pegasus. “Sorry about that.” he said suddenly, taking her off guard with his casual tone, “I sleep-talk sometimes.”

This time Fluttershy eyed Marco seriously. She tested his full smile, seeing if it was genuine. She never got a chance to finish her judgement, for as Marco made to rub his heavy head, his eyes snapped open as a type of shock struck him...

“Oh, no!” he breathed, “has anypony seen my-”

He stopped short as Applejack walked into the room, having been alerted to the fact Marco had risen from all the commotion he and Fluttershy had caused. As she saw little Applebloom mounted upon her sister’s back, the once-shocked stallion sighed in relief.

Applejack entered wearing her trademark tan cowboy hat, but Marco’s attention was drawn towards its jet-black twin, which was loosely resting on Applebloom’s tiny head.

“Looking for this?” the little filly chimed innocently as she bounced over to return the hat to him, “It’s kinda cool, just like my sister’s!”

“Sorry Marco, I told her not to touch.” Applejack said carefully as Marco accepted her sister’s offering, being mindful of their earlier discussion, “Is it something special by any chance?”

“Yes.” Marco replied, his memories of Applejack’s fervour returning, “It’s all I have left to remember my father by...”

Fluttershy and Applejack bowed their heads to hear their what they had suspected confirmed. Even Applebloom fell silent, though she didn’t really understand what was going on.

“Listen, Marco... I’m real sorry about before.” Applejack said, putting her tan cowboy hat to her chest in shame, “I didn’t realize that... well, there’s really no excuse.”

Comfortable once more with his hat upon his head, Marco paid Applejack her due by looking over to her apologetically downcast face. For a moment he found the apology curious, since he was still feeling bitter about their previous exchange, but a second glance revealed that the orange earth pony was being totally honest and genuine.

“It’s no big deal...” Marco said tentatively, not quite sure of how to put it, “In fact, I’m sorry too. I know how my story must have sounded, but the truth is, I’ve never had to talk about it before. I should have handled it better.”

“Hrm, I don’t really get it...” Applebloom said sagely, “But everypony’s happy again now right?”

“Happy and healthy.” Marco replied, surprising everypony by rising off of the couch and taking stance beside it in one fluid movement, “I really do feel a lot better actually. I’m glad I got a chance to get some proper sleep.

“In fact...” Marco continued, flexing his legs on the spot, “I might head off soon. It’d be better if you guys didn’t have to bother with me much more anyway...”

Marco raised a curious eyebrow to see Fluttershy snuff a giggle. Applejack simply smiled knowingly. “Well, Dash did say this feller’s had his heart set on Canterlot...” the orange earth pony commented smugly, gesturing over Marco’s shoulder to the window above the bedside, “Truly, I don’t mind if you want to walk there, but maybe you might wanna have a look outside genius?”

Marco obeyed, and much to the girl’s amusement, he visibly deflated to see the dying remains of a sunset on the horizon. It quickly dawned on him that this was virtually the same situation as when he was talked into staying here, which also meant he’d been here for what would soon be a whole day.

“I’ve got a lantern you can borrow.” Applejack remarked facetiously, “That’s if you still think it’s such a hassle to stay here...”

“I get what your saying...” Marco admitted, “But I really think-”

“Shh...” Applejack interrupted, “Do you hear that?”

“Hear what?” Marco asked, “I don’t...”

“There it is again.” she replied smiling, “Shut your yap an’ listen.”

Marco quickly complied, joining the others in their silence. After a few moments, the sound Applejack was waiting for gurgled out for all to hear. The colour draining from his face, Marco placed his two front hooves over his belly in some vein attempt to snuff the deep and hungering roar rumbling out from his stomach.

As Fluttershy’s expression pinged to one of surprise, Applejack knew her little trap had worked perfectly. “Oh my, I completely forgot!” the pegasus announced as the realization clicked, “We even put aside a whole lot of food too! Wait right there!”

Marco feebly raised a hoof in an attempt to stall the pegasus, but she zipped out of the room with a speed that belied her. Applejack chuckled heartily, aware of just how feeble the stallion’s attempts to sneak off would be when apposed to Fluttershy’s nurturing instincts.

“That’s right...” Applejack said knowingly, “You just sit right there.”

Marco silently obliged, returning to the comfort of the bed-like couch. He put a hoof to his starved stomach, praying that its grumbling would show respite at the promise of food.

“I guess I’ll have to owe her one... again.” Marco said embarrassed, then turned to address Applejack, “Is she always this kind to strangers?”

“Well, I reckon you’re the first one who washed up on her doorstep...” she joked, “But it doesn’t surprise me. Kindness is her element after all...”

“Element?” Marco made to ask, but was quickly sidetracked as Fluttershy re-entered the living room, the pegasus doing a spectacular job of balancing half a dozen plates, each one loaded with various fruits, leaves, savouries and grains.

The sight of the spread dominated the stallion’s mind, his pupils filling his eyes as they widened to take it all in. He could feel the drool pooling in his closed mouth as the faint smell of it drifted on over to meet his nostrils.

“There’s a bit extra because we thought Dash was checking in tonight...” Fluttershy said, not sure if her voice could penetrate his consciousness, “But I guess she isn’t coming after all...”

Applejack could tell that Marco barely heard the quiet pegasus’ words. The previously reserved earth pony’s eyes practically begged for Fluttershy to hand over the plates.

“No need to hold back!” the yellow pegasus beamed, the hungry stallion’s eagerness perfectly clear to her, “There’s lots more, so make sure you eat your fill okay?”

Marco didn’t need to be told twice. As soon as Fluttershy’s offering left her hooves, the grey-coated earth pony practically pounced on the plates, determined not to waste a second.

* * * *

Night had fallen in Canterlot, allowing the great city a break from the day time commotion that typically dominated it. The now empty streets were illuminated primarily by the glow of the various structures towering above, most of which were packed with locals who had tired of their daily grind and retired to their homes or equivalent places of rest.

It was a shame really. Sure the city was a most beautiful sight in the light of day, but the night brought with it a splendour all of its own, cloaking the quiet scene in the most subtle moon-lit sparkle and the soul-striking stillness of a humid night air. Even among those who lived here, so few had seen this side to their home. But for those who appreciate it, night time in Canterlot truly was something special.


Down in the streets, there appeared to be but one figure walking their cobblestone lengths. Dark grey in coat, and adorned in a pale silver armour, the night guard walked alone and content, his head scanning as if searching and his wing holding a stack of large papers to his side. If anypony were watching, they might’ve considered him a bit old to be wearing the armour of a night guard. And while he was most definitely past his prime, he carried himself strongly, his eyes hardened with experience despite the light wrinkles that had formed around them.

He casually slowed to a halt, looking about the surrounding buildings so that they might inform him as to where he had wandered. He gazed upwards to the illuminated tower-tops, and was briefly taken by how their soft corners and gentle colours had been reborn beneath the moon’s glow. Shrugging it off, the aged pegasus left the glimmering structures to their attempts to outshine one another.

Before him was the beginning of a darkened alley, and without so much as a look inside, he lightened his grip on his stack of papers so that he could pull out a few. Each one of the sheets had a medium sized picture in its centre, with large black and bold text underneath. Below that was a few lines of information, followed by what appeared to be number that varied between each poster.

Utterly indifferent to the nature of the papers, the night guard affixed the first of the sheets to the wall next to the alley, then overlapped it with a second. He was a moment away from putting up a third, but a movement barely outside his field of vision caught his attention.

The older pegasus was momentarily stunned, not quite expecting the captain of the royal guard to come flying on down to greet him. And while any old night guard would be at a loss for words in his situation, his surprise ran significantly deeper than merely recognising the armoured pegasus as being Captain Caliber.

“You shouldn’t sneak up on an old pony like me Caliber...” the night guard breathed, “I’m liable to have a heart attack!”

“And a good evening to you too Ceasler.” the captain replied, greeting the pegasus like he would a friend, “I’ve been looking for you.”

“You? Looking for me?” Ceasler questioned in disbelief, “One would think that the royal guard captain would have more important things to do than spook his old teacher in the dead of night...”

“Heh, I’m not the one putting up posters...” Caliber said smugly, noticing the papers pinned up beside the alley and tucked under Ceasler’s wing, “What happened? Somepony’s pet run away?”

“There’s that conceited tongue of yours.” Ceasler replied, shaking his head, “Honestly... how does Celestia put up with you?

“Or maybe its just me you enjoy talking down at?” he continued, “Whatever. I’ll have you know these ain’t ‘lost pet’ posters. These are wanted posters.”

Caliber trotted up to get a better look at the papers plastered by the alley. Each one had a vicious looking individual in the centre, and a corresponding name and what looked like a bounty.

“Huh, you weren’t kidding...” Caliber said flatly, “But what are these going up in Canterlot for? Criminal types tend to keep away from here...”

“I don’t know.” Caliber replied dismissively, “The bounty list got updated, and I was told to put up some posters. That’s as deep as the mystery goes.”

“Hrm, weird.” Caliber said as he pondered the meaning behind it, “At least I haven’t heard about any villains running around...”

“I don’t really care if you pry, but...” Ceasler quickly tossed the captain a roll of posters, “If you’re just gonna stand there yapping, help me put them up.”

“Tsk, still trying to order me about?” Caliber asked as he bent down to pick up the papers, “Oh well, I suppose its good charity to help out crotchety old pegasi like you...”

“Oh, har-de-ha.” Ceasler faked a laugh, “I’m still young enough to teach a runt like you a thing or two. Now if you’d be so kind captain, go put those up on the other side of the street.”

Caliber rolled his eyes silently as he scooped up the posters and carted them to where Ceasler had directed. Flattening the first one against the featureless wall, he looked back to see the old night guard doing something similar.

As he put them up, Caliber couldn’t help but give each profile the once over. There was a mean-looking griffin, an ugly mane-less unicorn, and what looked like a dog with horribly disproportionate limbs.

But as he casually put the posters up, it was the last one that spurred his interest. For in seeing the picture and profile, he was certain that he was looking at a pegasus pony that he had once known. His old lieutenant it seemed, had turned outlaw and now had a sizable bounty on her head. Shaking his head solemnly, Caliber snuck a look to Ceasler before hiding the poster in the fold of his armour.

Damn it Tager...” he whispered under his breath, “I can’t keep covering for you forever. What the hell are you thinking?

“Hey Caliber!” Ceasler called out through the night, causing the captain to turn, “I don’t mind you doing my job, but didn’t you say you came out looking for me? What’d you want?”

“Ah, that’s right. I almost forgot.” Caliber replied, shelving his thoughts on the wanted poster as he remembered his true purpose, “Have you heard anything about the new royal guard?”

“Only rumours.” Ceasler replied, joining the captain on the other side of the empty street, “The night guard have been buzzing about the formation of a troop of special royal guards in service of Luna.”

“Well, it’s no joke.” Caliber responded, leading the way as the two pegasi begun moving further down the street, putting up more posters as they walked, “I’m in charge of putting the team together myself.”

“Really now? That’s quite the responsibility...” Ceasler said, moving in next to the captain, “But again, what’s that got to do with me?”

Well... me being the genius I am, decided that a fitting royal guard for the princess of the night should be formed from re-purposed night guards.” Caliber said casually, “Naturally, that means I need the best, and I thought to myself: what grumpy old night guard do I know who has a nasty habit of expecting the best from his comrades?”

“So you want to know if I have anypony could make it as a royal guard?” Ceasler questioned, shaking his head as he did so, “Well I’m sorry kid, but I can’t help you.”

Surprised, Caliber stopped walking, prompting Ceasler to do the same. “Come on, don’t you have any recommendations?” he insisted, “I find it hard to believe that you of all ponies would abide any dead weight...”

“I’m not sure what you were expecting captain.” Ceasler replied callously, “It’s the night guard. We’re all lazy, inexperienced, and undisciplined. It’s a shadow of its former self.”

This time it was Caliber who shook his head. “You’ve gotten a bit more cynical with age it seems...” he shot back, “Your standards were always set pretty high, so I was hoping you’d have at least a few who might be good for the new royal guard.”

“Listen Caliber...” Ceasler said with a sigh, “Your generation was the last of those who actually took this duty seriously. These days, there’s no reason for anypony to want to be a quality guard. The nights are calm, the city is quiet, and the population is content.

“Let’s face it kiddo...” he concluded, “The crown has no more enemies. The guard has lost it’s way.”

“But it’s not just the crown we’re protecting anymore.” Caliber retorted, a tinge of passion sparking, “There’s a city full of innocents right here, and beyond that, a wide world who would look to us should disaster return.

“Maybe you’re right about the guard going soft...” he continued, “But that’s all the more reason to get them shaped up.”

“There’s that spirit Celestia loves so much...” Ceasler pointed out, “I don’t think my ramblings could make a dent on those ideals of yours...”

“Are you sure you don’t have any up and comers?” Caliber asked again, “You saw my potential all those years ago... are you certain there’s nopony you want to recommend to me?”

“I’ll think on it, but no promises.” Ceasler replied, “I’ll return to you if I can come up with any worthy candidates.”

“That’s all I can ask.” Caliber said, flapping his wings as if he intended to depart, “I’m sure your judgement is still as good as ever.”

“Aren’t you gonna ask me if I want to be a royal guard?” Ceasler called out after his old pupil as he ascended into the night sky, “What’s the paycheck like? The armour any good?”

“I’ll ask Luna if she needs a butler!” Caliber joked, his voice lingering despite having flown off, “But I wouldn’t quit your day- err, night job!

...

Just keep putting up the damn posters geezer!

* * * *

“Urg...” Rainbow Dash moaned, wiping away the remains of a sneeze as she wafted her way through the cold night air, “What a day...”

The cyan pegasus was exhausted. She had been on and off all day on the same damn weather job, alternating shifts with a whole lot of other weather pegasi in an attempt to disperse a vicious hail storm that had been sneaking up on Ponyville. The frosty conditions had been hard on them, as their wings were vulnerable to the freezing winds. Regardless, they had endured, pushing onwards in the knowledge that such a storm would spell doom for the local farmers if it happened upon their crop so close to harvest.

It had been a pain in the flank, but Rainbow Dash smirked despite her visible chilled exterior, content in the knowledge that Applejack owed her one for saving her orchard. The tired pegasus begun to fantasise about how she might best collect on her friend’s debt, but she was interrupted as her stomach rumbled out into the night, reminding her that she hadn’t had a chance at a proper meal since sitting in on dinner at Fluttershy’s cottage.

Well, truth be told, she had stopped by Sugar Cube Corner on her way to work, but what Pinkie Pie gave her ended up being a little too sweet to be called breakfast. Either way, Rainbow Dash made a detour on her shaky trip home, remembering that she had promised Fluttershy she’d drop by tonight. Her belly groaned again as she wondered if she had missed the chance to freeload off of her friend again. As her thoughts drifted to the topic of freeloaders, Dash wondered if that nameless earth pony from before was still hanging around...

With her path to Fluttershy’s house guided by an odd combination of hunger and curiosity, Rainbow Dash’s pace quickened as she zipped down lower into the empty streets of Ponyville. She was on a mission to quiet her nagging belly and make sure that the dim-witted stallion from Everfree Forest wasn’t causing her friends any more grief...


It didn’t take long for the rainbow-maned pegasus to make her way to her friend’s humble little cottage. But while the place was normally rather dull at this hour, she could hear the clatter of crockery and the general mumble of commotion emanating from within.

Intrigued, Rainbow Dash announced her presence with two quick knocks on the door as she passed through uninvited. Two seconds later, a smiling Applejack came to greet her.

“Hey there Dash.” she said energetically, “Didn’t think we’d see you show up tonight!”

“I didn’t think you’d be here either.” Dash admitted, “You been here since morning?”

“I sure-as-sugar have.” Applejack said as she ushered her blue-coated friend inside, “Somepony’s gotta help Fluttershy with the grey guy after all...”

“I thought he might still be here.” Dash replied, falling in behind Applejack as they resumed their slow pace through the house, “Grey guy huh? Still no name then huh?”

“Heh, no... he did end up telling us...” Applejack started, but stopped short as she put a confused hoof to her muzzle, “Darn it, looks like I forgot it. I think it was Lu... no, Le... La- Law! Lawsomething!

Applejack saw the curious look form on Dash’s expectant face. “You can thank my sister for confusing me with all the nicknames.” she said defensively, reading her friend’s expression, “Anyway, we’re just calling him Marco for now.”

“Weird...” Rainbow Dash said, her eyebrows still raised, “But I guess it’s something. Is it him causing all the noise?”

“Probably...” Applejack replied knowingly, smiling as she finished leading her friend to the living room, “But why don’t ya see for yourself?”

Stepping in past Applejack’s pointing hoof, the scene Dash beheld was somewhat different from the one she had expected...


“That’s another one down!” Applebloom called out, her voice directed to the kitchen, “Hurry up in there!”

Ah, slow down please!” Fluttershy’s normally tame voice cried out in reply, the clatter from the kitchen going up a level, “I can’t keep up!

Rainbow Dash and Applejack looked on at the funny display, Dash’s eyes widening to see the grey-coated stallion before her devour what looked like a loaf of bread in two bites.

“You’d best back up a bit Applebloom...” Applejack warned playfully, “Lest he gobble you up once the last plate runs dry!”

Eep!” the little filly exclaimed, playing along as she scrambled away from the ravenous Marco, “He’s gonna get me!”

“Looks like he’s more than a dopey, complaining, pain-in-the-flank sleepy-head after all.” Rainbow Dash commented, somewhat interested in the stallion’s apparent behavioural change since she last saw him, “He’s even got your sis warming up to him.”

“Yeah, well... the grey guy ain’t so bad.” Applejack replied, but suddenly quieted her voice for only Dash to hear, “He’s just, well... a little complicated.”

“Hrm?” Rainbow Dash questioned, mimicking her friend’s hushed tone, “What’d ya mean complicated?”

“Ah’ll tell you later Rainbow.” Applejack said easily, “For now, it looks like he ain’t the only one hankerin’ for a feed...”

The cyan pegasus’ stomach growled ever so quietly, as if responding to Applejack’s apparent ability to spot a starved pony. “Hehe, what’d ya know?” Rainbow Dash laughed it off as her blue cheeks went a tinge of pink, “I hope the blockhead left me something!”

“Looks like I need to give Fluttershy a hand in the kitchen anyhow...” Applejack commented, “Marco’s eating food faster than the poor girl can find it!

“Hey Applebloom.” she continued, “We’re off to give Fluttershy a helping hoof, so it’s up to you to make sure he doesn’t choke, okay?”

Applebloom snapped into a mock salute. “Aye-aye sis!” she exclaimed, “I won’t let ya down!”

As the little filly watched her sister disappear around the corner with her pegasus friend close behind, Applebloom tuned to see the last plate clatter on top of towering stack, making the wobbling formation about as tall as she was.

She then looked to Marco, and gulped nervously to see that he was far from sated. His eyes scanned the room, his mind still on autopilot, searching mechanically for further nourishment. As his hungry eyes landed upon her and stopped, the little filly suddenly felt her confidence in the fact she was inedible take a nosedive.


In the kitchen, Rainbow Dash munched on a plain bun while her two friends turned the place upside down in a fervent search for food. She herself found a renegade apple roll on by, but she kept it to herself for fear it might be the last scrap of food in the whole house.

Swallowing what was left of her bun, Dash finally addressed Applejack, curiosity getting the better of her concerning their earlier conversation. “So what were you saying about that guy?” she asked, rather confused about her honest friend’s apparent secrecy, “What happened here since morning?”

Before Applejack responded, Dash noticed Fluttershy stop rummaging and shoot a look to the earth pony, apparently wanting to hear a little of it too.

“Long story short, I wanted more than a name when he finally got around to answering our questions.” Applejack recounted the events, a kind of guilt plaguing her words, “But when I started digging too deep, he just flips out all of a sudden.”

“It was horrible.” Fluttershy confessed, a hoof held to her chest, “I don’t know what might’ve happened if she didn’t stop when she did. Oh, sorry Applejack... I didn’t mean-”

“Pay it no mind sugarcube. It’s the truth.” the honest earth pony confessed, “I damn near drove the fella to the edge before you snapped me out of it.”

“I don’t get it.” Dash confessed, “Sure, I can see A.J not taking no for an answer, but how does that make somepony go nuts?”

“Who knows?” Applejack replied reservedly, still ashamed of her behaviour, “But something must’ve happened to him, and my guess is its got a fair bit to do with the ‘quest for Canterlot’ you told me about.”

“So what do you think happened?” Dash asked, taking her first bite from her salvaged apple, “You gotta have some idea...”

“It’s nothing good, that’s for sure.” Applejack said gravely, recalling Marco’s comment about that hat of his, “But ah ain’t about to open up old wounds by guessing on it.”

“It really is best we don’t pry.” Fluttershy added, looking directly at Dash as if for approval, “He probably won’t be here much longer, and it’d be awful if we chased him out with thoughtless questions.”

“I get it, I get it...” Rainbow Dash said dismissively, “It’s not like I care anyway. He made me cart him around and ate all my food!” she said, finishing off her apple in one crude chomp, “He could charge off to Canterlot right now for all I care.”

“Heh, well be that as it may...” Applejack said, leading the way back to the living room, “We’d best check up on him and make sure my sister’s still in one piece.”


As the trio re-entered the room, Fluttershy already had her apology at the ready, worried that Marco had gone unsatisfied despite the fact her food stocks had been well and truly depleted in his wake. But as she saw they grey stallion laying back and nursing a fattened belly, she knew she wouldn’t need it.

We did it!” Applebloom announced victoriously, the little yellow filly standing beside Marco as if he was some mighty beast that had been slain, “The great grey guzzler is defeated!”

“That’s pretty lame.” Rainbow Dash said, gesturing to the stallion’s sprawled out figure, “You had your fill there dude?

Only just becoming aware of his surroundings, Marco’s head rose up ever so slightly to hear a voice he barely recognised call out to him. Then to the surprise of everypony, the stallion jolted in such a way that it looked as if he had been brought back from the dead.

Marco blinked back into the moment, apparently having been absent from his own actions until just now. He looked about himself as his sense of decency returned, and quickly adopted a more dignified posture. It seemed that as soon as that sought after food hit his lips, his hungry body robbed him of his consciousness so that it could not obstruct his stomach’s desire with troublesome notions of etiquette and restraint. But now that there was quite literally nothing left to consume, his mind was cruelly dropped back into his body so that it could deal with the consequences of his gluttonous rampage.

While he tried to cover his guilty expression, Marco was secretly glad that he managed to eat his fill. He was hard pressed to remember a time he had enjoyed a proper meal. Despite the silent onlookers, he allowed himself to fall roughly back into the comfortable furniture and voice his satisfaction with a contented sigh.

Despite everything that had led him to this moment, there was an undeniable feeling of peace rising up from within. Closing his eyes, Marco couldn’t help but think that it was only a dream; just another respite between his twisted nightmares. It was uncanny. He tried to push the feelings away as if they were unreal, but the tiny glimmer of serenity hounding him could not be defeated. It almost felt like some distant part of him was home again, and the pony he used to be was coming to the surface.

All the while he sat there entertaining his conflicted thoughts, the girls swapped brief looks with one another, the fact that Marco had become oblivious to their presence now clear to them. At that moment, Applejack and Rainbow Dash shared a look, silently asking each other what could be wrong with the fool this time...

“Are you okay?” Fluttershy asked tentatively, concerned about the nature of her grey-coated guest’s silence, “Oh, don’t tell me you’re still feeling ill...”

The timid pegasus floated over without waiting for a reply, and put a soft hoof to Marco’s head as if to test his temperature.

Brought back to reality by the touch, Marco backed up ever so slightly, totally bug-eyed. “Relax Fluttershy...” he said, surprising her with an honest smile, “I’m fine.”

The yellow pegasus paused to appraise Marco’s soothing smile, but she could find no hesitation or anything disingenuous about it. Although she wouldn’t realize it, she found herself mirroring his smile as she realized he was being truthful.

“Well isn’t that a relief?” Rainbow Dash said tongue-in-cheek, breaking the silence, “This must be that ‘sane’ side I keep hearing about...”

Marco blinked a few times as he became aware that the cyan pegasus was addressing him. He recognised the tomboyish demeanour and the funky coloured mane, but he couldn’t quite place a name or remember who she was.

Seeing her thrust an accusing eyeball his way, it dawned on Marco that he hadn’t done a very good job of concealing his confusion. “Oh, come on...” Dash pouted, almost offended, “You find a guy dying in the middle of nowhere, pick ‘em up and drag em to the doctor... and you even show them back to a place to kick their hooves up, and they don’t even remember you?!”

“I don’t think he would’ve died...” Fluttershy intervened, calming her friend, “And it’s only natural if he’s a bit fuzzy on what happened last night-”

Oh! Rainbow Dash right?” Marco interrupted, the name clicking into his head, “Applejack said you were- ah, well... you.”

“So that makes you the one who found me right?” Marco asked as he bowed his head, “Thanks. You really helped me out.”

Rainbow Dash was taken aback by the stallion’s sudden expression of gratitude, his head lowered with his hat removed in a rather old-fashioned display of proper manners. “I- uh, don’t mention it.” Dash said cool and detached, contradicting her earlier insistence, “I’d do it for anypony...”

“Be that as it may... I owe you all a great debt.” Marco said, his voice weighted with responsibility, “There’s got to be some way I can repay your kindness.”

“Don’t be silly.” Fluttershy dismissed his formal attitude, “Your health is all we could ever ask for.”

Putting his hat firmly back atop his head, Marco raised his downcast eyes and looked upon the small group before him. It seemed that Fluttershy’s response was the one he was expecting. “I don’t think you understand...” he finally said, his tone imploring, “It was only yesterday. I was bleeding, exhausted, starved and alone. It was a terror I don’t wish to be reminded of. And yet...

“Now I’m laying here thanks to the kindness of strangers.” he continued, the truth of it invoking further emotion, “I have a full belly and a rested body. I... I was feeling hopeless, and you banished that fear.

“You saved my life.” he said softly, addressing even Applebloom, “Thank you.”

“I think you might be the only one who fancies us strangers Marco.” Applejack said easily, causing Marco’s head to rise for the final time, “You’ve been among friends ever since you walked in through that door.”

“Friends... huh?” Marco mused, the word having been made a stranger to him, “Such a thing...

“That’s right!” Rainbow Dash announced, her loyalty shining through, “And there isn’t anything I wouldn’t do to help my friends!”

“In that case, I must apologise.” Marco said cautiously, “I realize that you have your questions... and that I have been less than forthcoming.”

“Oh, you don’t have to tell us anything!” Fluttershy insisted, fearing a repeat of earlier, “As long as you’re happy... we’re happy.”

Marco bit his lip, extremely conflicted. These girls had done so much for him; they did deserve to hear the truth. But they were such innocent ponies... it was a truth that would do them no good.

Could he lie to them? Take from them the things he had and then leave them with such an insult? Perhaps it would be for the best in the long run, for both them and him. But even if that were true, a lie would not come easy. He tore himself from his doubts, and tried to find the answers on the faces of the ponies before him. True to Fluttershy’s word, they were the picture of patience, giving him his distance as if they could sense the indecision that was tugging at his mind.

Taking a deep breath, Marco came to his decision. “Before when I said I was from a place called New Eureka...” he begun, being oddly direct, “Are you sure you haven’t heard of it?”

Applejack paused to think, but the name still drew a blank. “Sorry... I really don’t know of it.” she said, “Did you want to tell us?”
“As I said last time, it was a little settler village up north.” Marco replied, recapping for the benefit of Rainbow Dash, “Technically it was outside of Equestria, so there’s really no surprise that you hadn’t heard the name.”

“Wait, did you say outside Equestria?” Rainbow Dash asked in disbelief, “As in...”

“It wasn’t too far from the border, but yeah.” Marco answered, “Don’t ask me why they thought it was a good idea though. I was a colt when it was founded.”

“It wouldn’t be the only town like it.” Applejack spoke up, “Every now and then, bands of settlers try to push the boundary out past pony lands, trying to start a spark of civilization out in those tricky spots. Some times it works... other times...”

“Well it wasn’t called ‘New’ Eureka for nothing.” Marco said, “I learned the history some time ago. In ages past, an en explorer ventured out past Equestria and found a fortune in gold. He started up a town over the payload, which ended up being located practically on the doorstep of Equestria.

“Enticed by the promise of gold, the town was named Eureka. It was a town sustained entirely by the mines beneath it.” he continued, retelling what Arabelle had taught him long ago, “The land could not support crop, there was no water for miles. But the town didn’t care, their gold bought them everything they ever needed...

“Of course, the gold ran dry, and the town was left with nothing.” he concluded, “Eureka was the first failed attempt to move beyond Equestria’s borders, and it wouldn’t be the last.”

“Now that I think on it, Granny Smith told me a story like that once.” Applejack said suddenly, thinking back, “Said it was a lesson for us farm folk... that money will leave you starved if its all you depend on, and that a healthy crop and a full belly is worth more that all fortune in the world.”

“It was a lesson New Eureka took to heart.” Marco said with a dull nod, “You can always count on a nurtured tree to bear fruit, but you can never know when your material blessings will abandon you... this was the ideal behind the town’s foundation. They pushed further into the lands which their predecessor barely dipped into, and found a place amid the wasteland where their trees could grow.

“The first tree that bloomed there would become the orchard on which I grew up.” Marco said conclusively, then smiled mirthlessly, “It’s funny... the amount of times I’d been fed this same story... I never expected I’d be droning on about it too.”

“That’s such a nice story.” Fluttershy remarked easily, trying to brighten Marco’s tone which was fast becoming sombre, “It sounds like it was a good place to grow up.”

“Actually, it was hell.” Marco countered, nipping the pegasus’ optimism in the bud, “In order for the town to survive the harsh environment, everypony had to pull their weight. That meant every colt and filly had a part to play in keeping the town afloat.

“Since my father ran the town’s apple orchard, I was certainly no exception.” he said, his mind wandering slightly, “If it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t have had any way to get an education...”

Marco bowed his head unconsciously, his mind drifting away as he left his story unfinished. He was aware that his little audience knew there was more to tell, but the words jammed in his throat as the dark side of his tale, and the grim emotions that came with it became closer and closer to surfacing.

Applejack closed her eyes solemnly, seeing right through Marco’s silence. After what had happened before, she had gained a keen eye with which to see that the stallion was quite uncomfortable. “Well, would you look at that?” she said all too deliberately, making a show of looking out the window, Why, with dinner and all this chatter out of the way, look how late it’s gotten!”

Rainbow Dash knew what her friend was up to, but Fluttershy followed Applejack’s gesture innocently enough. “Oh my, I hadn’t realized...” she stammered, genuinely surprised by how much time had passed, “I guess we got a bit caught up.”

“I know a little filly who should be in bed.” Applejack said none too subtly, spurring protest from her sister, “You’re supposed to be helping Mac out tomorrow remember?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll fix you two a room upstairs.” Fluttershy smiled, ever the perfect hostess, “Do you mind the couch down here Dash?”

“Forget it, I’ll sleep at home.” Rainbow Dash replied dismissively, “It’s not far and it’s better than being crammed up here...”

“Oh, nonsense.” Fluttershy shot back assertively, “It’s late, not to mention cold out. Besides...” she huddled her friend in closer and lowered her voice to a whisper, “I’d feel better if there was somepony down here just in case, well... you know.”

“Do I look like a foalsitter?” Dash pouted, making sure to keep her voice hushed, “If you’re so worried, then why don’t you take the couch?”

Fluttershy just cocked her head, the imploring gaze of her bulbous eyes unwavering. Though she didn’t speak, it was obvious to Rainbow Dash that her friend would not be swayed.

“Urgh... fine.” the cyan pegasus deflated in resignation, “Only for you Fluttershy...”

“How about you grey guy?” Applejack spoke up, bringing back the stallion from his break from reality, “You look like you could still do with a healthy dose of shut-eye.”

“If you haven’t had enough that is.” Dash teased, “Sleeping and eating... sleeping and eating. It’s all you do.”

“That actually sounds a lot like you R.D...” Applejack chuckled, but quickly adopted a commanding tone, “Now quit your yammering. I’m tired myself, and I’d rather not listen to you two bickerin’ all night. Get along.”

Dash pulled a face as her friend made her way upstairs, then zipped quickly over to a couch quite similar in form to the one Marco had claimed on the opposite side of the living room.

“You better not be a snorer.” Dash warned as she laid herself facing away from Marco, “Kitchen’s over there if you’re thirsty or something, so don’t wake me.”

Marco simply took her attitude in stride, quietly laying upon his familiar pseudo-bedding, also deciding to face away from his neighbour. Until now he was simply going with the flow in deciding to join the others in resting, but as his head touched cushion, his eyelids were hard to keep open. As he felt himself begun to drift off, he supposed his body really was committed to resting now that his belly was full.

The room fell silent as the pair of ponies became settled into their respective positions. The lingering pitter-patter upstairs faded soon after as the girls up there also retired. So with the curtain closing on what had been a rather eventful day, Marco’s tired ears perked to hear one last thing before his sense faded away as sleep claimed him.

Oh, and goodnight...”

* * * *

It was around midnight in Canterlot, and as Captain Caliber stumbled his way back to the palace, the royal guards who normally attended its entrance had been replaced with a few night guards.

As he was allowed in with a brisk nod from the two guards by the main door, it didn’t escape Caliber’s notice that he may have been the only royal guard still on duty, or awake for that matter. Truth be told, he’d normally be among them, but seeking out Ceasler had kept him up later than he was used to. He was eager to rest up for tomorrow, and as a firm believer in sufficient rest, he intended to hit the sack the moment he got back to his quarters.

With that in mind, the tired pegasus floated his way up the great staircase at the far side of the foyer and up the hall. To get to his room, he had to go past the library wing, Celestia’s private study, her royal chamber, the royal washroom, the guest suite, and half a dozen other miscellaneous rooms.

But as he embarked upon the considerable journey to the other side of the hall, he didn’t make it past the princess’ private study. For as he made to pass it, his tired eyes registered the yellowish glow of light highlighting the door frame, indicating to him that the room was lit up despite the darkened hallway.

Now, Caliber knew it wasn’t his business to pry into the private life of his princess, but he was concerned as to why she might’ve been up so late. While her sister was still inactive, albeit tenaciously, it remained her duty to control the rise and fall of the moon and sun. That kind of responsibility invariably demanded a healthy sleep habit, one which Caliber had previously been certain that Celestia maintained.

His better judgement impaired by fatigue and possibly ill-conceived concern, Caliber decided it was best to impose as he knocked on the door. But as he followed through by pushing the door open without first waiting for his invitation, he found himself pushed back as the door became possessed by magic and virtually shut in his face.

“Just a minute please.” Celestia’s voice rung out, muffled as it was behind the closed door, “I’ll be right with you...”

Caliber simply rubbed his nose which had been bumped when he was unexpectedly denied entry. Faithful to his princess’ request, he just stood there awkwardly awaiting her word.

He could hear a light shuffling, like a thousand scattered papers being brought together again. A few whopping thumps advertised thick tomes being slammed shut, and the clunks that followed told of their hasty return to their homes amid the surrounding shelves. When the sounds of activity subsided, the magic on the door faded into nothingness. A few hoofsteps clicked out on the marble floor inside before the door finally creaked open at the flourish of Celestia’s horn.

“Oh, good evening Caliber.” Celestia said in surprise, “Forgive me, I thought you were my sister!”

“Were you expecting her or something?” Caliber asked, still nursing his nose, “And I think it’s closer to morning than it is to evening...”

“I suppose so...” the princess replied, “Did you want to come inside?”

“No, it’s fine.” Caliber said, shooting a glance down the hall, “I was just about to retire.”

“That sounds like a good idea.” Celestia remarked, seeing the armoured pegasus yawn tiredly, “Were you simply saying goodnight, or did you need something from me?”

“I don’t need anything per-se...” Caliber replied, “I was just worried that you may have lost track of time with, uh... whatever it was you were doing.”

“Yes, well... truth be told, the time did escape me.” the princess admitted, “But fear not, I am not about to neglect raising the sun because I stayed up researching.”

“Forgive me for interrupting you then.” Caliber bowed, “Mind if I ask what is it that’s got you up so late?”

“Was there anything else I can help you with?” Celestia asked gently, surprising the captain by completely dodging his question, “Or can we both retire for the night?”

“Uh, no. Again, I’m so sorry to have bothered you.” Caliber stammered, not expecting the conversation to shift, “It was silly of me to think you needed anypony babying you on such things. I’ll be off.”

“It’s quite alright. I do enjoy having somepony around who’s not afraid to speak plainly with me.” Celestia smiled warmly, “Goodnight captain. Rest easy.”

“Thanks, and the same to you.” Caliber smiled back, turning to leave, “I’ll be seeing you tomorrow morning for the rising of the sun.”


As he departed, Caliber couldn’t help but reflect on how Celestia’s duties must’ve weighed down upon over all those years without Luna to aid her. And even now, after her return, Celestia still shouldered the burden while the young princess sat in her ivory tower, her hair cropped short and her conscience wallowing in guilt.

As he got closer to his own quarters, Caliber didn’t pay much mind to how Celestia avoided talking about what had kept her up. In his mind, the princess was welcome to keep whatever secrets she desired, and ask of him whatever she wished, simply because she believed in her.

He had been questioned before about what it was that kept him loyal, and it was always the same answer. He trusted the princess. Completely. Come hell or high water, that faith would never waver, and it gave him the edge needed to act without hesitation whenever it became necessary.

But as the captain stumbled through the door and into his rather spartan bedroom, he didn’t have much place for such thoughts. He didn’t even go to the trouble of negotiating out of his amour before collapsing onto his bed. Laying there, he shook of his helmet and let it fall to the ground, his tangled bold blue mane free to spill out onto the pillow.

And so, with his concerns dispelled by the soft bedding cradling his still-armoured figure, the exhausted pegasus delved instantly into the world of dreams.

* * * *

Far away from the royal palace of Canterlot, in Fluttershy’s more humble abode, everypony was sound asleep. Inside the virtually silent cottage, the sound of Rainbow Dash’s snoring was the only think to pierce the serenity.

Regardless, the slumbering faces of those within were the picture of peace, their blissful dreams filled with various pleasantries. But in spite of the calmness of the night, there was one among them who’s mind did not yet know peace. The memories revived once again by having those emotions brought back to the surface, Marco’s mind was quickly dragged back into his hellish nightmares.


The clocks had turned back on his reality, and he was once again back inside that dreaded cellar. It was still a dream, so his waking knowledge eluded him, but this was not the first time this part of the dream haunted him. Also, in some deep down recess of his consciousness, he knew that this was the final instalment of the terror.


Knowing that outside, the sun would not rise and the moon was just hanging in the sky, Marco couldn’t bring himself to count the hours go by. Because no matter how long he waited, a day would never truly pass, the world just trapped in the one never-ending night. All he could do was resign himself to the burning, silent darkness of the cellar, recoiling from the death of West and Arabelle.

The absurd heat was causing him to sweat profusely, and he was rapidly exhausting the fluids in his body. He managed to survive by drinking the near-boiling cider that loaded the shelves that dominated the walls around him, but the taste of his father’s apples was a profound insult to his parched tongue. Regardless, he was still alive in the cellar, the temperature only a few degrees short of being able to roast him alive.

And as he suffered, the destruction outside was concluding. The flames were finally dying down, but every structure that once stood in New Eureka had been reduced to a charred, crumpled mess. Marco wouldn’t know of course; not a sound could pierce the thick stone walls, and light had become but a stranger inside of its confines. The world outside could be fully ablaze and brimming with monsters and he wouldn’t be able to tell. The only thing he could be certain of was that the night still enveloped Equestria.

But there was little room inside his head to consider such things. The constant heat was driving him mad, and the cider he’d been forced himself to drink was numbing his mind. It wasn’t long before he just collapsed, from either heat stroke or intoxication, perhaps even a combination of both.


The darkness and the silence of the cellar left Marco’s senses deprived, and as time went on, he begun to slip mentally into a hell of his own creation. For when anypony’s brain is receiving no visual or aural stimulation, it descends into delusions, trying to fill the gaps with fake sounds and images. This, combined with a mind both maddened by heat and addled by alcohol, Marco’s brain essentially started waging war on itself.

In between the pulsing and vibrant blurs of dizzy colours constructed by his brain, Marco’s mind flashed with images of his treasured memories.

He could see himself toiling the fields, scrambling along in his father’s shadow in a desperate bid to keep up. He could see himself pouring over dozens of books in the centre of Arabelle’s library, and toying with the various herbal and alchemic quirks she would teach him night after night.

A wave of depression struck hard. ‘That’s all they are now. Memories.’ the thought was his own, but to Marco it sounded like something was whispering it into his ear, like an anonymous voice hissing with ill-intent, The life you had is over, and there’s nothing you can do.’

The voice was taunting him, bullying him. Marco being the crybaby he was, simply exploded into... laughter?

He made to walk, crawl, or roll, he couldn’t tell; he couldn’t grasp his own intentions. He was tripping over his own hoofs, falling down over and over without feeling it, all the while giggling with utter lunacy. Marco was literally loosing his sanity.

He continued to act hysterically. His ability to judge his own behaviour had escaped him, and his body had all but surrendered itself to the whims of his unstable mentality. If this continued for much longer, the damage to his mind would be beyond repair.


Two days passed. In the world outside the confines of Marco’s cellar, the sun was shining once more.

Far away from where he lay passed out on the floor of the cellar, a group of brave ponies wielding the ‘Elements of Harmony’ had risen to the challenge and defeated Nightmare Moon, restoring the sun and saving the beloved princess Celestia. With the return of day, the legion of monsters that had been emboldened by Nightmare Moon’s unnatural night became demoralized. As quickly as they had assaulted the unsuspecting town of New Eureka, they were gone again, driven back to their old homes by the new dawn.

And although the nightmare had ended, Marco did not rouse. He continued to lay unconscious in his dark little world, oblivious to the fact that his life had been saved by the efforts of ponies he had never met.


Then came the crash. For a pony that had known nothing but absolute silence for two whole days, the immense sound of the cellar roof collapsing in upon itself was positively deafening. The shock of it caused Marco’s heart to skip a beat...

Marco tried to collect himself. He couldn’t tell what was more remarkable, the fact that the fright didn’t stop his heart, or that the falling rubble didn’t crush him. He slammed his eyes shut, for they couldn’t handle the sudden light any better than his heart could handle the sudden noise.

Marco’s mind was blurry... he didn’t have what it took to process the new stimulus despite the reflex to close his eyes. His attention went straight to his head. It throbbed intensely and his memory was the definition of fuzzy.

Marco’s senses finished rebooting and he registered the warmth of the sun bearing down on his face. But with his eyes shut, he just dismissed it as the heat of the fire outside radiating through the cellar. But then he felt the distinct chill of the stone floor beneath his head and the surprise caused his eyes to open wide and get assaulted by the light of day.

Marco reeled, more recovering from the idea of light than the pain of his unadjusted eyes. It took him a full minute to pry his eyelids open and take in the scene around him.


Aside from the solid stone remains of the cellar roof, the first thing Marco noticed was that the floor was absolutely littered with broken pieces of jagged glass. He ventured a look over to the walls of the cellar that hadn’t caved in with the roof coming down. The racks that usually held the cider were nearly bare. There were hardly any bottles left, and even less remained intact.

Marco abandoned this observation, more concerned with the glass on the floor. He could see a formation of fallen rubble he could negotiate up to get out of the cellar, but avoiding the glass would be a problem. His mind was still groggy, seemingly recovering from some stress he couldn’t quite remember.

Even still, he was mentally plotting a course through the jagged mess. His vision connected with the glass at his feet, and he saw that the pale stone floor around his feet was a distinctly darker shade than the rest of it. It glistened slightly, obviously wet with some substance. Marco couldn’t make out the colour properly against the already dark floor, but it looked relatively clear with blotches of red.

His assessment of the liquid was interrupted when a droplet of blood fell from his underside and plopped into the sheen below. His eyes instinctively followed its trajectory, but he stopped short when his vision was inadvertently drawn to his hoofs. All four of them bore shallow cuts, with the odd one extending up his legs and towards his body. Despite how it may have looked, the cuts were not too serious. Only a few were actually bleeding.

The mixture below Macro’s feet stunk terribly, and he quickly realized that not much of it was blood. It reeked of perspiration... it had to be sweat. He had no delusions that it wasn’t his sweat and his blood, but he couldn’t figure out why he would have sweat so much, or why the floor was covered in shattered cider bottles, or how he had cut himself-

His head suddenly started to throb, warning him that he was thinking too much. Putting aside his thoughts, Marco took his first steps through the glass. He avoided stepping on any of the jagged pieces, but he still felt pain in his legs when he moved. He had no energy and every part of his body ached as he negotiated through the maze of broken bottles.

Marco pulled himself painfully up the collapsed roof, nearing his escape from the cellar. Why can’t I remember?’ he thought, ‘What happened to me in there?’

Marco’s train of thought was cut short as he emerged from the cellar and set hoof on solid ground. The scene was absolutely spectacular.


The once bright and bold apple trees had been transformed into slender, black and bare wood. Not a single tree in the massive orchard was spared; it had been reduced to nothing but a charcoal skeleton of its former self.

Every structure that once stood in defiance of the surrounding arid landscape had been reduced to lumps of rubble, either crushed flat from the outside or collapsed of their own accord from fire damage. And covering the whole scene was a thin layer of settled ash, the tiny particles still falling like snow and cloaking the entire dead town in a ghostly blanket. There would be no way that anypony could ever imagine that this place was teeming with life a mere two days ago.

With only this first look at what was once his home, Marco was overwhelmed with a profound sense of clarity. Everything that he couldn’t remember, all those fuzzy memories that were beyond his reach only moments ago came rushing back within a single, blinding instant. West, Arabelle, the sun, the moon, the darkness, the fire... they all rushed back to him in a hot flash of regained memories. Marco didn’t know what to do with himself. He just stood there, taking in the scene. Feeling the scene.

The night I feared would last forever.’ he thought to himself, It may have barely lasted a day, but it doesn’t matter. Everything’s already gone.’

His own thoughts just reverberated inside his head. The silence was profound, it really typified that the whole ordeal was well and truly over.

Marco just remained in shock, coming to terms with his position. Everypony’s dead.’ his mind buzzed with memories for the final time, ‘Everypony but me.’

He didn’t feel sad any more. He was done with crying, his spirit burning only with anger. He could feel the weight of the souls of everyone taken by the destruction bearing down on his shoulders. His eyes panned purposefully over what had become of the town, scanning the remains as if they were looking for some kind of sign...

Who would know what happened here?’ he thought, Who would know we got taken in the night by monsters driven mad by the idea of ‘eternal’ darkness?’

Everypony Marco ever knew had been buried beneath the ashes. His was the only voice left, and it had fallen to him to keep the idea of retribution from extinction. He was all that had emerged from the ashes. His eyes looked up all on their own, letting him notice the hat on his head for the very first time. His father’s word echoed inside his head. ‘Become somepony that others can depend upon...”

If whatever happened here was overlooked...’ Marco mused, I can’t imagine a greater injustice.’


Marco looked up to the sky furiously, as if that dreaded moon was still trapped in place. He couldn’t contain the rage that built within him. “You!” he screamed out into the silence, “You who unleashed this evil on us! You who loosed your darkness upon the world! I swear, upon the grave of everypony here... I swear, upon this hat, you shall be called to account! I shall make you understand the consequences of your will!

“For the crime of your negligence, and for your dark acclaim...” his voice died down somewhat, “This... is my responsibility. It was for this that I survived. No matter what it takes, no matter who gets in my way, even if it makes me the executioner, you will answer for these sins!

“Luna!”


Despite the immense volume at which Marco announced his resolution, it would be heard by nopony. The echo of his cries just faded away into nothingness.

And so, with nothing more to say, and a cause to push his aching body forwards, he took the first painful step towards Canterlot, and the first step towards his confrontation with the corrupted princess who had taken from him everything he had ever held dear.

* * * *

Marco’s eyes opened to meet the silent darkness of Fluttershy’s living room. He couldn’t guess as to how late it had gotten, but it was clear to him that it was still night out. The cold wind battered at the gently set window panes of the cottage, and the moon was on its return journey to the horizon, leaving Marco to think that it was probably between two and four in the morning.

His assessment was momentarily halted, his attention seized by Rainbow Dash as she suddenly grunted from across the room. But in seeing the steady rise and fall of her chest, Marco quickly realized that she was well and truly a sleeping pegasus.


With his nightmare having run its full course, Marco had woken for the first time since his arrival of his own accord. His freshly awakened eyes were void of any sleepiness, and the couch beneath him was no longer comfortable now that his rested body yearned to be off of it.

Looking about himself, the conclusion of his predicament became crystal clear. “I shouldn’t be here...” he said to nopony, his only possible spectator being sound asleep, “I swore to avoid these diversions.”

His grim determination fuelled by his passing nightmare, Marco could now see these welcoming ponies for what they were, an obstruction. True, they had provided for him when he needed it, and in doing so helped him on his path, but he was now here needlessly. In being committed to his mission, he saw his comfort and gratitude as obstacles. He had to be rid of them. He had to be rid of this place.

Marco looked over to the main door beyond the sleeping figure of Rainbow Dash, set on using it to escape out into the night. He was conscious of the fact that leaving in such a manner would most likely hurt them, but there was more at stake than offending four good-intentioned girls.

He had always wanted to avoid complications, yet bonding with these ponies had left him entangled. Putting his own feelings aside, Marco decided that cutting the ties that threatened to bind him here would never be as easy as walking through that door right now.

With this final thought, the grey-coated stallion glided quietly across the living room, stealthily making his way to the door. He couldn’t stop the thing from creaking, but nopony roused as the groaning wood sung out.


Taking his first steps out into the night, the full moon was awaiting him as if to taunt him. Ignoring it, Marco pointed himself towards the town of Ponyville that lay ahead, a single light among the darkened town serving as his beacon. Ready to put the memories of the cottage behind, Marco contemplated whispering a thank you or an apology to its sleeping occupants, but there would be little point.

And with that, Marco galloped off upon the road to Ponyville, not even looking back to what he left behind. He couldn’t afford to regret it, but he was thankful. Because of them, the gap between the ruins of his home and the one responsible had become one more encounter closer to being bridged.


With little else to guide him other than the desire to resume his journey, Marco charged towards the light in much the same way as a moth would to the flame. Though he knew it had to be a building of some sort, he wasn’t sure why he was compelled toward it. Certainly, the best path from here to Canterlot was through the town proper, and the fact that there was a structure still lit up made it a viable checkpoint on the way through the otherwise uninterrupted darkness.

Marco shook off the idea that he was trying to convince himself to travel there through some fear of the dark. What was an illuminated building was but a single blur of light in an otherwise shadowed-out town, and him being drawn to it was simply a matter of course on a journey that lacked direction. But still, he couldn’t deny this feeling that there was some force that was guiding him there. Perhaps the same kind of force that had him happen upon Fluttershy’s cottage.

Once again, Marco shook off the foolish notion. Giving fate no contest, he continued to close in upon the edge of Ponyville and consequently, the library smack bang in the centre, its illuminated windows glowing like a torch of destiny through the night.


Without any reason to think that tonight was unlike any other uneventful night in her hometown, Twilight Sparkle poured over her choice book of the evening with determined, but tired eyes.

It was later than she usually stayed up, but the particular magic book she was so engrossed in had proved more challenging than initially thought. Her baby dragon spike had long since fallen asleep, Twilight’s tendency to stay up until obscene hours not new to him by any stretch. Even the ever-attentive Owlicious, a nocturnal critter by nature, could not outlast the unicorn on a mission. The feathered owl’s beady eyes occasionally closed as he fell asleep, but was repetitively reawakened each time his master made even the most subtle noise.

Her pet’s struggle went unnoticed by Twilight. The magical world of learning that had taken a hold of her mind refused to release her until she had conquered the mysteries of the book before her.


Meanwhile, the mystery of the lit-up building was close to revelation. Still galloping toward it, Marco rounded the final corner, the idea that this curious glowing building was somehow worth checking out proving to be a persistent motive.

As his hooves slowed to a halt out the front of his destination, he realized why. “No way.” Marco breathed with wide eyes, not believing what he was seeing, “This can’t be...”

For reasons beyond explanation, the library before him was a familiar sight. No, it was more than that. The hollowed out tree, the shape of the windows, the very colour of the wood and shrub... it was like he was looking at a memory plucked from his mind and made real. The memory of Arabelle’s library.

He didn’t doubt that this place was also a library. Every feature was a mirror image of the one he had known; for it to be anything else would be ludicrous.

He still couldn’t figure out why, or even how the two houses could be so identical. But it soon occurred to him that this wasn’t the first time he had questioned the nature of such a building...


What was it Arabelle had told him when he asked her about her library? Her’s truly was a unique house among the village, much like the one here was, but she had explained why once upon a time.

He thought back, focusing until the memory became clear. ‘Ah, this?’ the memory of Arabelle’s voice played back within his mind, ‘No my dear, I didn’t build it. Nopony did, or could build such a thing. It was an enchanted seed, that bloomed into what you see before you in the blink of an eye! It was a parting gift from my teacher, the princess, given to me when she sent me along with your father to start this town.’

And just like that, the critical connection fell into place. “It can’t be a coincidence...” Marco said to himself, moving carefully towards the library door, “Is it possible that Celestia sent a student to this town as well?”

If there was any truth to it, then running into this place was an incredible opportunity. Everything he currently knew about the two princesses, be it their history, their powers, their responsibilities... it was all taught to him when he was young. And it was this library’s apparent twin that had provided the resources. Truly, stumbling upon this library was an opportunity too good to pass up.


He snuck his way up to the door and gave it a try. He remained unsurprised to find that it was unlocked. From his time here, he had come to expect such a thing from the innocent town. Without so much as a moment’s pause, Marco pushed it open and moved through silently. He was instantly taken aback by the absolutely loaded bookshelves.

Nostalgia washed over him. It looked so much like Arabelle’s collection. ‘This is perfect.’ he thought, nostalgia washing over him, ‘I can get a ton of info out of this place.

He forced his excitement to subside as he reminded himself he was in somepony else’s house. Marco didn’t like the idea of trespassing, but this was an important chance to gather information. He wouldn’t let it slip by him...

He crept up a nearby staircase, wary of drawing the attention of whoever lived here. If this was the only place in Ponyville with its lights still on, then the owner must certainly still be awake. And if she really was a student of Celestia, that would make her a unicorn. Marco didn’t want to think about what might happen if such a pony busted him and happened to the unforgiving sort.

He continued stealthily up the stairs, but stopped short of the top. His eyes narrowed as he identified the figure of a unicorn reading a thick tome. For her part, the light-purple pony just sat there motionless, her head deep within the book she was reading. Perhaps too deep...

A quiet, telltale snore broke through the silence. The unicorn had fallen asleep, seemingly while reading. Her head had just ungracefully planted itself on the pages of the still-open book as if it were a pillow.

Marco didn’t stop to look at the funny scene; he was satisfied just to know that the unicorn was incapacitated. He returned to the centre of the massive assortment of books and looked about seriously. While anypony else may have been daunted by the huge amount of notes, tomes, letters and scrolls, Marco conducted himself confidently, navigating the towering shelves with expertise. As long as it was organized, he would have no trouble finding what he wanted in even the largest library in Equestria.

Marco wobbled as he climbed up the racks. ‘These clearly weren’t built with the limitations of earth ponies in mind.’ he thought to himself, ‘Then again, neither were Arabelle’s...

Marco returned to the ground and laid the collection of books he removed on a spare table. He flicked the first one open. The title read: The Mare in the Moon.

Bingo. He turned to about the centre of the book, his eyes scanning the pages. The text told the story of the two regal sisters who controlled the cycle of the sun and moon, detailing how the youngest imposed her darkness upon Equestria one thousand years ago.

Marco focused upon the part where the eldest used some kind of magic called the ‘Elements of Harmony’ to permanently seal her younger sister into the moon. Of course, he had read this story before. In fact, it would be a hard task to find anypony who was unfamiliar with the old mare’s tale. But this copy was different to the one he had read in Arabelle’s library. This one was annotated, referencing another book. Marco discarded the tome in front of him, aware that he was on to something...

Marco quickly found the corresponding text among the ones he had collected. The title read: Predictions and Prophecies. He quickly flipped through the pages, looking for any references to Nightmare Moon or ‘The Mare in the Moon’...

“The Mare in the Moon...” he read to himself quietly, “Myth from olden pony times. A powerful pony who wanted to rule Equestria. Defeated by the Elements of Harmony and imprisoned in the moon. Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape and she will bring about night-time eternal.”

This information was unsettling to Marco. “All this had been foretold?” he murmured in confusion, “Hrm, there it is again. Elements of Harmony. It’s come up twice in two different books relating to Nightmare Moon.”

He returned to scouring the shelves, and found only one relevant thing filed under ‘E’. It wasn’t a great find, just a little book titled: ‘Elements of Harmony, A Reference Guide’.

He could see that its pages had notes stuffed between them; it had been used frequently. Not wanting to waste any time, he opened it up to the first page. “There are six elements of harmony but only five are known.” he read aloud, “Kindness, laughter, generosity, honesty and loyalty, the sixth is a complete mystery-”

He stopped short. Just below the section that said the sixth element was unidentified was a note. It simply said ‘Magic’. It seemed that the owner of this book had figured out the ‘mystery’. Marco didn’t understand any of it, but his confusion was put on hold as he discovered a roll of parchment in-between the next two pages.

He pulled it out and unfurled it. On it was a photograph of a group of ponies and above each of them was a corresponding term. At first he thought it was their names, but that was wrong. A different element of harmony had been assigned to each figure in the picture.

‘The elements of harmony were ponies?’ Marco thought in shock, ‘Then that would mean...’

His eyes widened as he made the important connection. If the elements of harmony were what put an end to Nightmare Moon’s eternal night, and the elements weren’t objects, but actual ponies, then this picture showed him those who were responsible for saving his life. Naturally Marco had to look at the photo.

Bypassing the text above their heads, he stared intently at the faces of his saviours. But as he did so, the stallion found his heart stop, its function erased by shock. He recognized half of the figures as ponies he actually knew. Marco was in no way prepared to see the faces of Fluttershy, Applejack and Rainbow Dash staring back at him...

It can’t be!’ his mind screamed, ‘There’s just no way-’

He never got around to finishing his thought. For in the next moment, the tiny owl that had snuck up on Marco let loose a deafening hoot, shocking his heart back to life. He collapsed backwards, toppling his little pile of books, unable to handle the two tremendous surprises.

The dumbstruck stallion looked up at the creepy owl that had sent him falling. Its feathered body was absolutely motionless, and its massive unblinking eyes were frozen in place, seemingly staring into his very soul...

Owlicious?” a tired voice called out from upstairs, “What are you doing down there?”

Marco blanched. The unicorn from before had been woken up by the racket. He had to escape the house before she saw him. He bolted for the door...

Veiled in a luminous aura, the door slammed shut well before he could reach it. ‘Oh no.’ Marco’s mind raced, ‘Not good... Not good!

He turned around slowly, his hoof in the proverbial cookie jar. The only way out was blocked by powerful magic, and he most definitely lacked the means to overpower it. The guilty stallion gulped as he prepared to face the furious gaze of the angry unicorn. For her part, Twilight just stood there, her deep purple eyes taking in the sight of an intruder.

Marco couldn’t help but look her over. She was light purple in coat and had a deep purple mane with pink and purple streaks.

Marco’s poor heart skipped yet another beat. He recognized this pony as well, having just seen a picture of her smiling away next to Fluttershy, Applejack and Rainbow Dash. The unicorn staring down at him, was the pony that embodied the element of magic. The elusive element that the reader, apparently her, had awakened.


For her part, Twilight was infuriated by Marco’s inaction. To her, it just looked the pony was just standing there perplexed when he should be explaining himself. “Who are you?!” she demanded, snapping Marco back into the moment, “And what are you doing in my house?!”

Who!” Owlicious echoed, hooting out his own demand...

Marco shifted his gaze between the pile of books he’d toppled, the observant Owlicious, the angry Twilight, and his own guilty self. It was at that moment, that the severity of his predicament truly set in.


“This...” he muttered with a sigh, “Isn’t going to be easy.”