• Published 30th May 2012
  • 3,708 Views, 56 Comments

From the Ashes - Benjamin Lawe



A shadow falls over Canterlot as old wounds are opened, and a tradgedy best left buried re-emerges.

  • ...
9
 56
 3,708

Chapter 13: Laying Down the Lore

From the Ashes

Chapter 13: Laying Down the Lore

“Ah, good.” Luna turned her attention to the door as it creaked open, “You have arrived. I trust you two are fit?”

Applejack slowly entered the massive foyer of the night palace, her body done up with some supportive bandaging. Fluttershy was with her of course, the pegasus having mustered up the will to leave Rarity to the care of the hospital. The princess awaited as the pair continued inside, the alicorn flanked on one side by an armoured unicorn mare, and on the other by two more ponies who’s appearance caused Applejack’s weary body to jolt.

“Rainbow! Pinkie!” she exclaimed, hastening her step as she approached her friends, “So this is where you girls got to? You had me worried that you’d gone and skipped town!”

“Hehe, nope!” Pinkie Pie giggled in reply, “We’ve been here the whole time!”

“Sorry we didn’t say anything...” Dash continued on for her friend, “The princess said it was really important for us to come as soon as possible.”

“Oh my, what’s the rush?” Fluttershy questioned, “I mean, we’re not even all here yet...”

“Yes, well, that’s kind of the idea.” the armoured unicorn beside Luna hinted, “Regardless, we apologise for hurrying you.”

“Ah, of course...” the princess rounded on the royal guard, “Girls, this is Spellbound. Since Captain Caliber has been indefinitely put out of action, she will temporarily be taking up his duties.”

“It’s good to meet you.” Applejack bowed her head in the traditional greeting manner, but then turned to Luna with a confused look on her face, “But princess, what did she mean ‘the idea’?”

“Let’s just say that it was fortunate you two arrived when you did.” she replied sagely, “After convening with your friends here, it seems that there are matters better discussed in certain ponies’ absence.”

Applejack barely needed a second to understand just who she was talking about. Even looking around the room, it was obvious that some of the key individuals that had been invited here were nowhere to be found.

“Ideally, I would prefer for Twilight Sparkle to be here as well, but I suppose it cannot be helped.” Luna continued, seemingly reading Applejack’s thoughts, “What is important is that those two are with her.”

“You’re talking about Marco and Ta- Tager, aren’t you princess?” Fluttershy stuttered meekly, “What’s this all about?”

Rainbow Dash moved forward as if to explain it to her friend herself, but Luna stepped in first.

“Fear not, for I will explain in full.” she said evenly, “That was, after all, my intention in calling you all here.”

A brief silence dominated as the princess gathered up her thoughts. Rendered nervous by her gaze, Fluttershy just let her own stare shift between her quiet friends as she waited for the discussion to resume.

“In between this moment and returning from the undersea, I saw fit to follow up on what my sister had been investigating concerning the prophecy; namely, the first hero.” Luna explained, releasing the pegasus’ tension, “As far as directing us Tager’s way, I believe Celestia was correct. However, there are other things coming to light now that I have retraced the steps she took in determining it.

“For instance...” the princess continued, “Among those here, how many know of Tager’s history with the royal guard?”

Rainbow Dash was the first to raise her hoof, followed quickly by Spellbound. For her part, Fluttershy delayed a moment as her shaky hoof snuck up too.

“She, um... mentioned that she was Caliber’s lieutenant at one point.” she elaborated, her memories of their talk back in the hospital sparking back to life, “But that’s about all. I think...

“In any case, there is a glaring fact about that pegasus I should tell you all while it is just us here.” Luna’s tone became more serious, “It concerns the manner in which she deserted the guard.”

“She hadn’t even talked to me about that.” Dash cut in, “I didn’t think it meant that much, but even when I asked her she just shrugged me off.”

“It does not surprise me that it was something she never told you.” the princess’ tone shifted once more, “It is, however, a story you’ve heard once before. All of you.”

The girls looked among one another in confusion. It was clear that they were not following.

“It is a story that came terrifyingly close to a most tragic end.” Luna’s eyes closed briefly, “An end that almost came about in the very palace in which we currently stand.”

“Wha-” Applejack was the first one to realize what she was trying to say, “You couldn’t mean...”

“I could.” came the detached reply, “The night following my rebellion, the once which you helped to thwart, Tager was a part of the guard sent with my sister to come to the rescue of Marco’s hometown.”

The room was speechless. Luna closed her eyes again, having received the response she was expecting. “As fate would have it, those two are tied to the same tragedy.” her voice was almost imploring as she continued on, “In this regard, I have something to ask of you here now.”

Applejack and Pinkie Pie swapped a quick look. Neither of them could imagine how they would be able to weigh in on something like this.

“My issue is whether or not I should reveal to those two their connection.” the princess said, “They are most definitely ignorant to it themselves, but this may not necessarily remain true.

“I need not remind you of Marco’s history with me, but as for Tager, she still holds much against me for that incident.” Luna elaborated, “Next to Caliber, she was apparently one of the most promising up and comers the guard had ever seen. Comparing the life she once led with the one she has now turned to, it is clear to me that her decision to leave forced her to forsake a great many things. I cannot guess how she feels now, but at least at some point she must have regarded me as the root cause of her hardship.

“This is where I am divided.” she continued, opening the issue up to the girls, “I cannot decide if I should let these sleeping truths lie. For what sake should I reopen old wounds?”

Spellbound closed her eyes knowingly in the following silence. She was aware that these girls already had a significant history with the princess, but it hardly changed the fact they were unqualified to respond to such a deep question...

“If they found out we were questioning this and that we decided together not to tell them, I don’t reckon it’d end well.” Applejack finally spoke up, pulling the attention of everypony in the room, “We shouldn’t be holding out on them because of ‘ifs’. Honesty’s the best policy after all...”

“You should totally tell them!” Pinkie Pie agreed energetically, “What happened at Marco’s hometown was really sad, but won’t it make Tager happy to know somepony made it out okay in the end?”

It was Dash’s turn to chip in next. “Even if she isn’t angry at you anymore, Tager won’t like being given a talk on something like that.” the pegasus said, “Just don’t beat around the bush and tell her straight. That’s the best way.”

“Um, sorry... but shouldn’t we be more worried about Marco?” Fluttershy finally raised her own concerns, “Isn’t he the one who might react badly?”

“It might come as a bit of a shock, but I wouldn’t worry about him too much sugarcube.” Applejack replied, “I don’t think he would have come this far if he still had hang-ups.”

“Me thinks that if Twi were here, she’d say the same thing.” Pinkie chimed in, “And so would Rarity. And so would I. And so I do! He’s definitely gonna be cool with it!”

“What she means is, Marco and Tager aren’t the kind of ponies who are going to flip when all you’re doing is telling them the truth.” Dash translated for the princess, “There really isn’t much to worry about.”

“It seems as though you all agree.” Luna nodded thankfully, accepting the unanimous responses, “Very well. I will do as you advise.”

“Well, now that’s out of the way...” Dash broke the humble atmosphere, “I guess all that’s left is to wait for the others to come so we can hurry up and get this show on the road.”

“Now that you mention it Rainbow, how come you were here so much earlier than us?” Applejack asked, remembering how her friend’s behaviour had stumped her earlier, “Why’d you give Luna’s pendant to Tager and disappear on us all of a sudden?”

“Oh, and Pinkie did the same thing.” Fluttershy joined Applejack in her questioning, “Well, I don’t know about the pendant stuff, but she still left Rarity and I at the hospital without a word...”

“My apologies, but you will find that I am to blame for their sudden disappearance.” Luna answered on behalf of the two, “I personally sought them out and requested they come here and help me piece together the events that transpired in my absence.”

“Sorry Fluttershy, but Applejack was still in bed, and you were taking care of Rarity...” Pinkie Pie explained, “And since Twi was busy over in the palace, the princess wanted me to tell her all about what happened at Appleoosa.”

“It was the same deal with me.” Rainbow Dash stood beside the pink earth pony, “Luna needed to know what went down in Hordimare. She wanted Marco to have the pendant anyway, so I asked Tager to pass it on for me.”

“The pendant?” Fluttershy repeated, her tone shifting, “That reminds me, what happened to Philomena and Paragonia? I heard some things...”

“Worry not, there are few forces capable of felling either my, or my sister’s companion.” Luna replied cryptically, yet comfortingly, “That said, with Philomena missing and Paragonia still recovering, they will not be able to assist us for the time being.”

“As long as they’re okay...” Fluttershy breathed a sigh of relief, “But doesn’t that mean we won’t be able to keep in touch over long distances anymore?”

“We can talk about that later, once we’ve all gathered.” Luna replied, “There will much to discuss.”

“O-okay.” the pegasus backed up, “Then, uh... should we just wait?”


Almost as if in response to her question, the sound of the great doors creaking open once again filled the royal foyer. As everyone turned at the sudden arrival, a collection of comfortable smiles formed to see the remainder of today’s company arrive all at once.

“Looks like we were late after all.” Marco commented, “Sorry everypony. Twilight tried to take another short cut again.”

“I told you to quit it with that.” the unicorn hissed, “Sorry we’re late girls, but we would have been even later if we didn’t take the detour.”

“On the contrary, you’re timing is quite ideal.” Luna intervened, “Join us, there is much yet to discuss.”

“Oh goody...” Tager drawled, following behind Marco as he led Torrin and Twilight inside, “And you guys were worried you were gonna miss out on all the good parts.”

“Actually, now that we are all here, the first thing I have to say concerns you directly.” the princess surprised Tager by singling her out, “I can think of no way to introduce the issue naturally, so forgive me if I speak plainly...”

In the background, Applejack gulped. Even though Rainbow Dash had recommended this approach, the earth pony hadn’t expected Luna to jump into it so quickly. Even Pinkie and Fluttershy looked to one another in surprise.

“The events that have led up to you being here run far deeper than I think you realize.” the princess’ seriousness suddenly intensified, her approach stunningly left-field, “I have recently discovered that the path you have walked shares its beginning with another. This may come as a shock, but this pony is none other than the one who has led you here, and the one standing beside you...”

As Tager’s eyes rounded on Marco, the stallion took a steady step back before meeting her stare. Oddly enough however, as the brief moment of expectant silence faded, the two ponies simply looked back to Luna, displaying for her their unfettered expressions.

“Oh, that.” Tager spoke first, looking casually over to the left as she did so, “I already knew.”

As the look of shock the girls had been expecting became mirrored on their own dumbfounded faces, one could hear a feather drop as the implications of what had just been said sunk in.

“E-excuse me?” Luna was the first of them to reply, so taken aback she was that her composure wavered for a moment, “How?”

“It wasn’t on purpose or anything if that’s what you’re asking.” Tager jerked her head at the silent Twilight, “It’s all the egghead’s fault...”

Hey!” the unicorn protested, “I was only checking with Torrin, you’re the one who butted in!”

As the two begun to argue, Marco just sighed tiredly. It appeared he’d been putting up with something similar to this on the way here...

“Could one of you please explain?” Luna asked, at a loss herself, “What happened?”

“Well, it all started-” Marco begun, but was abruptly cut of as it became apparent Twilight didn’t trust any but herself to tell it the ‘right’ way...

“It all started when we headed here after Torrin and Tager met.” the unicorn talked over Marco, “Torrin had said that he couldn’t tell if Tager was the first hero or not, so we all agreed to hurry here so we could get a better idea about what to do.”

“Is that so?” the princess’ gaze temporarily shifted to the colt, “Truth be told, I had expected such an outcome, but we shall come to that later. Please continue.”

“Well, all I did was ask the natural question.” Twilight seemed to pout, her look souring as it rounded on Tager, “If it was possible Torrin’s initial assessment of her was questionable, then I simply asked if the same could be true of Marco. The first time Torrin met him, he also said he wasn’t one of the heroes.”

“Tsk, and that’s the last time I go out of my way to figure out what’s going on...” Tager remarked vaguely, dodging Twilight’s stare by looking away once more, “It’s not like I was asking too much anyway...”

“Even though I told her we went searching for her to begin with because we thought she was mentioned in the prophecy, Tager had just been going along without questioning us.” Marco finally joined in, “It was only a matter of time before she actually started to wonder what it had to say about her...”

As he trailed off, Twilight remained silent. Looking between the two, Torrin decided to continue for them. “So after Twilight asked me if I could be wrong about Marco, Tager asked me what I had written down about the third hero.” the colt said, his eyes drifting cautiously over to the purple unicorn, “Since she was the only one who thought the description matched up with him, it was only natural for us to want to know how...”

“Oh my.” Fluttershy breathed, joining the dots as Marco and Twilight sighed in unison, “Then I guess that means...”

“She told them everything.” Marco’s expression flattened as he swapped glances with the unicorn, “It was a very... efficient summary.”

For her part, Twilight’s cheeks blushed a burning red. “What did you expect me to say?!” her frustration erupted, “That third hero passage had some pretty specific terms, and it’s not like you were going to tell them anything! And I’m sorry if I said a bit much, but it’s not the kind of thing you can exactly keep quiet about when somepony asks you to your face!”

“No kidding.” Tager remarked facetiously, utterly indifferent to Marco’s discomfort, “Who’d of thought this harmless idiot had such a messed up history. Shame on you for putting an innocent girl like me in danger.”

“So, does that mean you already know how that story begun?” Luna skipped over Tager’s cruel tongue and her own disbelief to get to the core question, “You’ve already realized how deep your bond runs?”

“Well, yeah... but when you say it like that, it sounds weird.” Tager replied, “But it took me by surprise, that’s for damn sure. I mean, I saw what became of that place with my own eyes; it’s hard to believe somepony survived after all.”

“In that respect, we are alike.” the princess found her eyes unconsciously drift over to Marco, “What befell that town, it is nigh unthinkable that anything remained.”

“Us? Alike?” Tager questioned, her curious air dropping, “Ha, that’ll be the day...”

Twilight found herself catch her breath as the mood abruptly shifted. Deep down, her instinct was to challenge the pegasus for spiting Luna so directly, but as Spellbound very deliberately placed herself between Tager and the princess, she realized that role fell to somepony else.

But before the hardened unicorn could confront her, Luna put a firm hoof to Spellbound’s shoulder, silently insisting that she stand down. For her part, Tager’s casual gaze became somewhat more cold as the guard obliged the princess and let her stand before her target.

“I recognise that mask you’re wearing.” Luna replied cryptically, able to sense the bitterness behind the pegasus’ seemingly neutral demeanour, “For a time, I too hid behind the same guise. In order to distance my heart from those around me, I closed it off and forced old pains to linger.

“I understand.” she sighed deeply, closing her eyes as Tager continued to shrug off her words, “I’ve come to learn that among the royal guard, nothing is as important as trust. You cannot be blamed for leaving. I put you through much, and set in motion more hardship than I know. Even if I were to apologise, I wouldn’t expect you to accept...”

The whole time Luna spoke, Tager just watched with narrowed eyes. She had anticipated having to deal with something like this at one point or another, so it wasn’t anything she couldn’t keep her cool on. However, as the princess took a knee and bowed her crowned head to the floor, the pegasus’ eyes widened in surprise.

Significantly more shocked than Tager, Spellbound felt a sharp chill grip her as she watched royalty bow to an ex-criminal. “H-hey... are you sure this is okay?” she asked in disbelief, “You are the princess! For you to lower your head to the likes of her, it’s... it’s...”

“There’s no point trying to hold onto pride in the company of those here.” Luna’s voice carried despite her undignified posture, “Indeed, only here, away from prying eyes can I allow myself to be as honest and forthcoming as I wish.

“Tager, it’s not my business to guess at your feelings or convince you of anything.” she continued, her eyes closing as she kept her head bowed, “And while it’s up to you to accept it, allow me to express my sincerest apologies. As it was with another, I can do little but swear that I am truly, truly sorry.”

With nothing coming by way of reply, Luna returned to a standing position, raised her head, and opened her eyes again. As she had come to expect, the pegasus to which she had directed her heartfelt apology was looking away again, avoiding eye contact and expressing a deliberate disinterest in a subject that required even the least amount of sensitivity.

“Damn it Tager, were you even bloody listening?!” Spellbound erupted, furious in the extreme, “You’ve got some nerve to treat the-”

“That’s enough; thank you Spellbound.” Luna interrupted, motioning for the practically steaming unicorn to step aside, “We’ve strayed from our purpose here today enough for the moment. What needed saying has been said, let us now focus upon what still needs discussion.”

“Oh, of course!” Twilight shook off her immersion in the princess’ confrontation with Tager, “What happened while you were in the deep sea? Did you find Neptune? Is he going to help us?”

“Yes, I found him, and we spoke on these matters.” the princess replied, “However, as I expected, he will not be helping us. Even after one thousand years of meditation, he is still undecided on whether or not he did the right thing. At the very least, now that his brother is free once more, he seems to be waiting for something to guide his next action. Unfortunately, our reunion was not that something.”

“Wait, so it was just a waste?” Applejack asked directly, her memories flashing with what had happened during Luna’s absence, “After all that, we’re just back where we started?”

“Simply because he refuses to help directly, it does not mean searching him out has not benefited us.” the princess countered, “Neptune was, and still is of a mind far greater than me or even my sister. And while he had little to offer factually, in some cases wisdom is worth more than knowledge.”

“Wait, did you say he’s smarter than Celestia?” Twilight questioned, possibly the only one to comprehend the full meaning of such a thing, “But she’s, uh... practically perfect! There’s no way this Neptune guy could be that great!”

The room took a moment to consider the point. And while Twilight wasn’t exactly the one to give an objective perspective, her friends were still on a similar wavelength.

“Well for one, Neptune isn’t, as you might say, a direct kind of pony.” Luna replied, picking up on their doubts, “The wise often aren’t. But regardless of whether or not he truly is smarter than my sister, he helped me come to understand many important things that will no doubt be of use to us.”

Wowzers!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed jokingly, “If you think he’s indirect, then I guess that’s saying something!”

“In our discussions, there are two particular subjects that come to mind for our current dilemma.” the princess took the comment in stride, “First of which, pertains to the subject of the three heroes.”

“Hold on, how does he know about that?” Marco asked, the first of the group to recognise the apparent contradiction, “You told us that he exiled himself a thousand years ago.”

“It appears that his meditation yielded more than either of us expected Marco.” Luna replied, “After speaking on the matter with him myself, it is my understanding that he was able to determine for himself the truest enemy of his brother, that of course being a fated alliance between the three races of pony he swore to segregate.

“Of course, he doesn’t know of the prophecy that details these three individuals.” she elaborated, “However, he does know of the existence of the prophet responsible for writing of them.”

Even Tager found her eyebrow spring up. She hadn’t really been paying attention so far, but even to her that last comment didn’t make sense. She ventured a look to the others, and saw her own doubtful expression mirrored.

“Allow me to explain.” Luna picked up on their confusion, “While he and Terra were of equal power, the seal that Neptune attempted to use was incapable of containing all of his brother’s power, so immense it was.

“So before he could be imprisoned, some of that power had to split from his being.” she continued, “One such power was his vision. Now released, his gift of foresight happened upon a member of the earth ponies, and through that, begun a family line gifted with the ability of divination.”

“Impossible...” Marco’s eyes wandered unconsciously over to Torrin, “So that means-”

“Generation after generation, spanning a full thousand years, Terra’s ability of foresight lives on to this day.” the princess nodded, also looking over to the colt, “In the form of an innocent child do we oppose him with a strength that was once his.”

“So, does that mean we can really trust Torrin’s visions?” Twilight asked, “Even though we haven’t been able to prove it ourselves?”

“That, Twilight Sparkle, it a question best answered by the second point of discussion Neptune and I had on the subject of the three heroes.” Luna replied, “Specifically, I believe I now know why the child has been having difficulty saying for certain what we should be expecting of Tager here.”

The pegasus in question just sniffed complacently. It seemed that she was still getting used to hearing her name thrown about by the ponies here.

“I asked Neptune if he knew who I should search for in finding the heroes that could finally stop his brother, but as you would expect, he didn’t have any information.” the princess said, “He did however share with me some vital wisdom. He claimed that the ponies I seek are not born heroes, rather, heroes made. He was of the belief that I should be trying to find the potential, not the individual.”

“Well then, that might explain why Torrin’s torn between.” Applejack spoke up, “He’s uh... well, no offense to you Tager, but he hasn’t got much to work with.”

“You’re unlikely to figure this out for yourself cowgirl, but I’m not big on determinism.” the pegasus replied offhandedly, stunning Twilight by using proper terminology for once, “You can say whatever you damn well please about destiny, I don’t care. The weak only believe in that crap so they can make excuses. For better or worse, I am and always will be the master of my own fate.”

“Beliefs aside, Applejack’s point still stands.” Marco skipped over a rare instance of the pegasus voicing her own bold opinion, “After the kid chased you down and told us you weren’t who we were after, he did go on to say that it was possible you just weren’t a hero yet.”

“It still seems we’re getting no closer to certainty merely by talking about it.” Luna cut in, taking command once more, “There is however one thing Neptune revealed to me that does significantly impact our movements.”

“Since he doesn’t know anything but what you’ve told him, I can’t see how that’s possible.” Marco commented, “Unless of course it had to do with his brother...”

“Indeed it does.” the princess nodded at the stallion’s powers of deduction, “It was but a passing correction on Neptune’s part, yet when coupled with my own knowledge, it became quite the striking realization.

“Allow me to explain.” Luna shook her head, deciding to skip the introductory this time, “As you already know, despite his fearsome abilities, Terra is still an earth pony. He cannot use magic. Neptune translated this to me as meaning his brother is incapable of creating a seal of any kind, let alone one able to contain my sister.”

“But, uh... he did didn’t he?” Marco questioned, “He said so himself, and, well... Celestia had clearly been imprisoned.”

“Remember back to that time in the plaza.” the princess directed, “The very instant the conditions were right for him to break free, he did so. And at the same moment, my sister was undoubtedly sealed.”

“I don’t get it.” Twilight confessed, “What happened then?”

“Terra had only one option.” Luna replied, “Using his powers of spatial manipulation, he locked Celestia in what had been his own prison.”

“But wasn’t that seal constructed by Neptune?” Marco asked, “If you’re so certain that’s where the princess ended up, couldn’t you convince him to release the seal?”

“In truth, I went so far as to demand he do so, but he explained to me that it was impossible.” Luna responded, “The notion of having to rise against his own brother all those years ago destabilised him so greatly that he made a conscious effort to render himself unable to release his own seal.

“It seems that he feared the knowledge of being able to undo his actions would torment him and make his judgement clouded.” she continued, “Even though it prevents me from saving my sister, I admire his disposition. I know especially well how corrupted a mind can become enduring a thousand years of the same unanswerable questions.”

“That unicorn that chased us in both Appleoosa and Hordimare stole a fragment of your magic didn’t he?” Marco pondered, “What is the probability that he could make a new prison that could house Celestia? Or you for that matter?”

“It is likely that he now has that ability, but I doubt it shall be used any time soon, if at all.” Luna replied, “As I’ve said before, the more of his ability Terra uses, the stronger I can sense it. If he intended to move Celestia to a new seal, it would take a great deal of his power. I would be able to determine not only the location he moved her to, but also where he had moved her from.”

“Now that you mention it, shouldn’t we already know where she is?” Twilight cocked her head, “If we think that the princess has been in Terra’s old prison this whole time, wouldn’t Neptune be able to tell us where it is?”

Luna shook her head slowly. “I already mentioned that Neptune took steps to be ignorant to such knowledge.” she reminded the unicorn, “All he told me was that he tasked a loyal guild of magically strong unicorns to find a location for his seal and keep it secret. And they did a fine job of it apparently. There are no records of such ponies, nor did Celestia, I, or anyone know of this to this day.”

“Well don’t we have all the luck?” Marco remarked sarcastically, “If we knew where they hid his prison, it’d be a game changer.”

“It is unfortunate, I know, but for now this unknown is of no consequence.” the princess changed tune suddenly, “It does not change what happens next.”

At her prompt, Spellbound stepped in beside Luna. The mood shifted as the gathered few realized that the time had come to get the ball rolling and plan out the next steps.

“Urgh, finally.” Tager drawled, also realizing, “I thought you guys’d never get down to business.”

“Yes, well, I have decided, and I hope you all agree, to commence efforts to find the second hero as soon as possible.” the princess continued, “To this end, I believe like many of you that Mistmantle is our destination.”

“And before you ask, we've been keeping up to date with what you guys have been doing at the library.” Spellbound spoke up, recognising that Marco was surprised to hear Luna reference the town Torrin had been obsessing over, “Pastel is an old friend of mine. I've checked in a few times with her and stayed updated.”

“Oh, it honestly slipped my mind.” Twilight said suddenly, also turning to Marco, “It’s just a coincidence that you missed her, but she really did come around a few times to make sure the princess knew what was going on.”

As the unicorn spoke, Luna turned her attention on Tager and let her authoritative air drop ever so slightly. For the pegasus’ part, she looked sidewards to the princess, able to feel her piercing eyes upon her.

“Tager, before I proceed...” she begun, her tone shifting, “Do you have any intention of assisting the others as they travel to the Frozen North?”

“Uh, I dunno.” the pegasus surveyed the ponies around her, “I really haven’t thought about it yet. Who else is going?”

Marco raised his hoof, followed by Applejack and Twilight. Tager found herself look over to Rainbow Dash, not expecting her to want to sit it out.

“Sorry T.” Dash saw through her gaze, “I’ve gotta go back to Hordimare and make sure Gilda’s okay. I was thinking that town’s probably still in a bit of trouble anyway considering what happened.”

“Strongheart was looking for some more help at Appleoosa, so I was gonna head back and make sure Slayde and the old guy are okay.” Pinkie jumped in, “I don’t really mind going since Fluttershy’ll be here to take care of Rarity.”

“So that makes four of us does it?” Marco simplified on Tager’s behalf, “That should be-”

“W-wait.” Torrin spoke up all of a sudden, “I... I want to go with you guys too.”

“Absolutely not.” Luna turned her back on the colt as she strode over to Applejack and Twilight, “The dangers aside, Mistmantle is too arduous for a child. Your ability is an asset, this I know, but in such a place you would only impede the search.”

The bold dismissal was a bit much for the timid child. Watching him take a frightened step backwards, Tager simply rolled her eyes at the weak display...

Shut up!” Torrin cried bravely, surprising everypony, Tager included, “Why do I have to do what you say?! You’ve been using me this whole time, I can go if I want to!”

“Whoa there little guy.” Applejack stepped in, “The princess is only-”

“It’s my choice isn’t it?” Torrin cut her off, “I wanna get my dad back already! And no matter what she says, you need my help to find the second hero!”

“I know little of the hazards involved in this venture, and you, even less.” Luna’s refusing glare intensified further, “I have infringed enough bringing you here. I will not allow you to endanger yourself nor the others for such a careless and childish reason.”

The final word uttered, Torrin’s bravery retreated. Marco watched thoughtfully as the colt’s eyes begun to dampen in the tense quiet.

“Enough...” he sighed, giving into his own whim, “Let him come. I will take responsibility this time.”

“I will not tolerate a repeat of Appleoosa.” Luna shifted her focus to Marco, “With so much unknown, yours is a risk not worth taking.”

“But he’s not wrong.” he countered, “We need him with us if we plan to turn up anything solid. And in the end, it’s his choice to make.”

“You’ve got guts kids, that for sure.” Applejack came in from behind Torrin and rested a hoof on his shoulder, “But this is serious business. The truth is, we do need ya, but things could get sticky again. Are you sure you’re ready for that?”

The colt did his best not to stall his answer. “Y-yes!” he nodded courageously, “I’ll do whatever it takes, and I promise not to slow anypony down!

“Please...” he continued, putting his front hooves up on Applejack’s legs as he pleaded, “I’ll make sure I’ll be of help, so let me come!”

As Torrin voiced his resolved, all eyes fell upon Luna, who, despite what had been said to the contrary, still had the last say. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to accept the child’s will, but she had vowed to take responsibility for anything that might become of those following her through this trial. With the fate of an innocent colt in the balance, the princess sighed to realize she was choosing between two potential extremes.

“So be it, I will allow you this.” she conceded, “Twilight, Applejack, Marco... I don’t need to tell you how important it is for you to keep Torrin in your care.

“As for you...” she rounded her attention on the colt himself, “Stay true to your word. Do not underestimate how difficult it may be to keep from holding back the others.”

Torrin gulped nervously, but otherwise maintained his resolve. He couldn’t help but be overwhelmed. The princess was especially intense and overbearing in the eyes of a child.

“Now that those arrangements are sorted...” Luna spared the colt from her intimidating gaze as she turned her back, “I leave it to you, Spellbound, to explain the rest of the details.”

“Of course princess.” the unicorn in question broke her silence and stepped forward, “The number of ponies may have gone up more than we anticipated, but our method of getting you there is still the same.

“By train.” she continued, sensing the question on the attentive ponies’ minds, “As you may already know, Canterlot is on lockdown until the guard is back up to full strength. The only thing allowed in and out of this city are the carriages bringing them home. It is through them that we shall sneak you out.”

“Wait a minute, I didn’t know the guard were being brought back...” Twilight said in confusion, “Why? Did they find any of the endangered settlements you sent them out to find?”

“Unfortunately no.” Spellbound replied, “As strange as it sounds, we haven’t been able to turn up any leads on where the enemy and its leader are holed up. And when I say that the guard is being recalled, I mean the entirety of it, including your brother and all those with him in the deep sea.”

Really?!” Twilight’s voice rung of excitement, “Shining Armor is coming back home?”

“Shining Armor?” Tager repeated, mulling it over, “I know that name. He was the other captain next to Caliber right? What the hell are you pooling all the guard together for?”

“I decided it was no longer worth the risk.” Luna saw fit to answer the pegasus’ question herself, “It is not safe for them to be spread so thin, and while they are away my people are vulnerable.”

Tager’s eyes narrowed intensely at what the princess had just implied. However, her silent reaction was more or less ignored as Spellbound continued with her explanation.

“The first train already scheduled to go north departs tomorrow at noon.” she said bookishly, “Which is convenient, because we expect to have the first of the guard incoming at around the same time. Even if Terra’s forces are monitoring who and what comes and goes from this city, the train you will be leaving on should go relatively unnoticed.

“We’re keeping anypony from leaving Canterlot, so you shall be the only ones getting on the train from here.” Spellbound continued, “But keep in mind that it is still a commercial train. It shall be picking up passengers at other stations as it proceeds north.

“That said, I don’t think I need to tell you your train cannot take you to Mistmantle itself.” she concluded, “It can get you near enough, but in the end you’ll be left up to your own devices in gaining entrance to the town. I assure you this will be a most challenging step in your journey, more so for some of you than others.”

“What I’m sure Spellbound means to emphasis is that undertaking this journey should only be done after significant consideration.” Luna intervened once more, “Noon tomorrow will be your final opportunity to change your mind.”

“I have a question.” Rainbow Dash spoke for the first time in a while, “Why do they even have to bother with the train in the first place? Couldn’t you just teleport them as close as you could like what you did for us in Hordimare?”

“Yes, about that...” Luna unexpectedly looked down, “I need to avoid using my magic as much as possible. Of course, I will still teleport to you in an emergency, but other than that I am not comfortable lending my assistance directly.”

“Why the sudden change?” Applejack asked, “It is it because that Truant guy stole your amulet?”

“Well, yes and no.” the princess replied vaguely, “I cannot say for sure just how much of an impact there will be now that the unicorn controls a fragment of my power, but my worry stems more from Terra himself.

“And in that sense I must apologise.” she continued, “After discussing things with Neptune, it seems I was a fool to use my magic in aiding you in your travels. Much like how I can sense if Terra were to use his powers, it seems he is also able to trace my magic. It is entirely possible that by teleporting Rainbow Dash and Marco to Hordimare, I advertised their location to the enemy. And while it appears as though they were already there, I do not wish to chance the same thing in Mistmantle.

“So in answer to your question...” Luna concluded, facing Rainbow Dash once more, “You must depend on other means in regards to travel from here on out. Of course, that means I cannot risk helping either you or Pinkie Pie reach your respective destinations even though it is technically possible for me to teleport there since you travelled to both places with my pendants equipped.”

“Well, that’s a bit of a pain...” Pinkie Pie swapped a look with Rainbow Dash, “I guess that means were gonna be gone a little while.”

“Again, I apologise.” the princess lowered her head in regret, “I understand your feelings, but the risks are far too high.”

“Even so, I have already made arrangements to help you on your way.” Spellbound stepped in, “Rainbow Dash, you will be riding the same train as Applejack and the others, but you will need to get off at a place called Snowsickle Junction and then ride a different train to the end of the line past the frozen fields. From there you will need to trek the rest of the way to Hordimare.

“Don’t worry, I’ll prepare a more in depth explanation for you later.” Spellbound tried to calm the daunted pegasus as the complexity of it all sunk in, “I’ll even put together a travel kit for you, so leave it up to me.”

“T-thanks... I guess.” Dash shivered, not looking forward to braving the cold on her own, “That’d be a big help.”

“As for you Pinkie Pie, you’re headed the opposite direction.” Spellbound shifted her focus to the bubbly earth pony, “Now, it’s going to be a little harder to get you on a train out of the city, since we didn’t send many search parties south.

“But since Appleoosa’s had a bit of strife, we’ve decided to send a relief team their way.” she continued, “They are leaving here by train tonight, and I’ve saved a seat for you if you’ll take it. As you know, it’s a long trip so I recommend you get whatever you need ready as soon as you can.”

“Oh, uh... tonight huh?” Pinkie blinked in surprise, “Okay, I’ll just make sure I check back on Rarity before I go.”

“As for the rest of you, since your train isn’t leaving until tomorrow, it seems you’ve got a little time to relax before you’re back out there.” Spellbound spoke to the whole group, “Enough room has been set aside to accommodate you all right here in the palace, but if you’d prefer to return to your homes in Ponyville you have enough time to do so.”

“Yeah, thanks for the offer and all... but I’m gonna head home for now and make sure everypony’s alright.” Applejack replied, “I’ll also see if I can’t sort something out for Sweetie Belle.”

“Um, if it’s okay there’s a few things I need to do back home too.” Fluttershy said, “While Pinkie’s still around to look after Rarity for me, I’ve got to make sure my animals are taken care of. But I’ll be back before she has to go, I promise.”

“I’m also going to head home, but I’ll take you up on the room here.” Twilight joined in, “I can’t leave Spike and Owlicious on their own too much longer, so I’ll bring them back with me.”

“Leave a free one for me too, but I’m going back to Ponyville as well.” Marco said next, “I need to pay another visit to Zecora.”

“I’ll take a room.” Rainbow Dash went last of all, “But, Fluttershy, could you save me a trip home and take Tank back to your place? It’s not like he needs much looking after, but it’d be better if we wasn’t by himself much longer.”

“Oh, that’s fine.” the yellow pegasus replied with a light nod, “I can do that.”

“I guess that just leaves-” Marco made to say as he turned to face the eerily silent pegasus behind him, but stopped short to find her several paces back, apparently on her way out of the palace.

Tager?” he questioned, “Where are you going?”

“Anywhere but here, I guess.” she replied, but didn’t turn, “You guys are all done talking, so I’m leaving.”

“Whoa, just wait a second would you?” Marco ventured, causing her to finally look over to him, “You’ve been oddly quiet ever since we started talking about how we’re going to get to Mistmantle. What’s the problem?”

“It’s nothing.” Tager turned tail again, shaking her head as she took another few steps away, “I’m outta here. See you guys on the train.”

“Wait, this isn’t right... even for you.” Marco caught up to her with a couple of hurried steps, “If it’s not here, where do you think you’re going?”

Tager stopped walking again with a sigh as the insistent stallion slowed to a halt behind her. She looked back one more time, but this time her eyes were glaring fiercely. Marco had no way to know what was going on, but it was obvious something had her on edge.

“I’m sure you guys think it’s nice of you to set me up here in the palace, but you keep forgetting that I’m not your damn friend.” the pegasus snapped suddenly, taking the room by surprise, “What I do in my time is my business, and I’ll settle it the way I always have. I said I’d be ready to go North tomorrow, and that’s all you should really care about.”

“Come now, there’s no need to be so stubborn.” Applejack spoke up, stepping in just as Tager brushed Marco off again, “One the reasons all of us came here was so we could talk about any problems we got with what’s happening next!”

“And I’ll go jump if something’s not bothering you.” Marco took Applejack’s intervention in stride, “Tager. What’s the matter?”

“Back off Marco.” she spat, pointing her hoof at his chest, “Don’t go thinking we’re buddies or anything just ‘cause I was there when your hometown got sizzled. I already told you to mind your own fucking business.”

“It is beyond clear that you take issue with something we’ve decided.” Luna’s voice called from the back, able to perceive the root of her troubles, “I insist you speak of it, especially if it troubles you so.”

In the following silence, Tager’s teeth clenched with anger. “You wanna know what my problem is?” she turned slowly, “I was fine with listening to it come out of his mouth, and her’s, and her’s...” she gestured at Marco, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy respectively before focusing her scowl on Luna, “But I never expected you to talk like we’re playing some kind of kid’s game here!”

“Please be specific.” the princess didn’t falter, “What makes you say such things?”

“Because of what happened yesterday at the palace, and what happened to Caliber, you’re bringing every guard you sent out back.” Tager shook her head, “You got lucky nopony died yesterday, but now you’re running scared trying to make sure the others don’t get hurt, and this city stays safe.”

“There is little point in keeping them away any longer.” Luna took a step forwards, “It is not my intention to have anypony suffer on my behalf, let alone needlessly.”

“Kindness alone can’t protect anyone.” the pegasus retorted evenly, “I’ve seen with my own eyes what kind of scale this shit’s on princess. It makes me sick listing to you talk like there won’t be costs.”

“My duty, first and foremost, is the protection of my people.” Luna levelled her gaze as well, “What is wrong with me trying to-”

People die.” Tager’s dauntless statement silenced the princess, and the rest of the room for that matter, “If anypony ought to know that, it’s you.”

Despite herself, Luna was speechless. The pegasus’ direct and simple words came out with any hesitation, yet her meaning ran deep. As one who typically twisted her words and made her point in an elaborate way, the princess found it especially heavy.

“You said you were sorry about what happened on that day... and I admit, I feel better having heard that.” Tager’s tone settled as she turned away once more, “But it just pisses me off that in the end, you haven’t learned anything from it.”

Nopony saying a word to stop her, the pegasus continued out, stopping briefly by Marco as she did so. “Don’t think I forgot about these.” she said as she casually picked up the earth pony’s saddlebags as if they were her own, “I’ll give ‘em back the next time I see ya.

“Later.” she waved the group off as she shouldered his potions and took wing, none of the ponies watching her leave confident enough to try and keep her tamed.


Marco sighed, expressing everypony’s tension. “Should I-”

“Leave her.” Luna cut him off with intent, “We should be satisfied that she still intends to help us. I also think the best way for her to find peace, at least for now, is to give her some distance.”

“That girl’s trouble.” Applejack shook her head, “I can try and understand what she means, and sympathise with what she’s been through, but there’s no excuse for being so bull-headed.”

“Her tongue may be sharp, but she speaks from the heart.” the princess calmed the farm pony with her own acceptance, “It truly saddens me how that same heart has been closed off because of her past.”

“What next?” Rainbow Dash asked, complicated thoughts lingering in regards to her old friend.

“I recommend you rest.” Spellbound answered, “You can either visit the hospital or return home, but keep in mind a whole new trial begins tomorrow. And since some of you have only just risen from the sickbed yourselves, you shouldn’t underestimate the kind of good it will do you.”

“What are you two going to do while we’re gone?” Twilight asked the guard and the princess, “You’re not going anywhere again are you?”

“No Twilight, I will be here, as will Spellbound.” Luna replied, “That said, like you we will have our own tasks to attend to while you are away.”

“Like what?” Marco questioned, his concerns still half-focused on Tager, “Ah, sorry I didn’t mean-”

“It’s fine.” Spellbound cut him off, “But believe it or not, managing the entire reorganization of the guard is no simple feat. And on top of that, I’m personally co-ordinating all available personnel that we actually have in the city at the moment, as well as keeping close tabs on Caliber’s condition. Aside from wanting him better, it’s possible he has important information on the enemy given his intimate experience facing them.”

“As for me, I also seek similar information.” Luna also addressed Marco’s question, “However, my source is different. As soon as that Atlas character regains consciousness, I will be questioning him myself. He is likely to have similar knowledge to Caliber in regards to combating the new threats we’re faced with, as well as additional unknown information regarding Terra.”

“On that note, we’ve just about covered everything we can for now.” Spellbound summarised, “exhaling tiredly at the concept, “Are they free to go princess? It sounds like we’re not the only ones who have a bit to do...”

“Yes, you’re right.” Luna nodded in agreement, “We have, as you say, ‘covered’ almost everything. Everypony, you are dismissed. All except you, Marco.”

“Me?” the stallion questioned, surprised to some degree, “What’s this about?”

“All in good time.” the princess replied, “For now you should farewell your friends.”

Twilight took the hint. “Yeah, we are going to head off now.” she smiled as she turned to the door, “Try and stop by the library if you get time, otherwise I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Got it.” he nodded in response, “Are you taking Torrin with you?”

“From here, yes, but I was thinking I should leave him with Pastel Pride for the time being.” she replied, “The two of them get along well, and you’re more comfortable in the library aren’t you Torrin?”

“Er, yeah.” the colt delayed slightly before scampering up beside the purple unicorn, “Pastel’s kinda nice too.”

“Say hi for me then.” Marco waved off both he and Twilight, “See you later.”

“Same here.” Rainbow Dash spoke up from behind, taking wing and zipping over Marco’s head on her way to the exit, “I’ll catch you guys tomorrow.”

“Oh, wait... I thought you were staying?” Fluttershy also took wing, “Where are you going?”

“I’m gonna see if I can find Tager.” she replied, “I might be able to talk to her a little. Nothing serious of course, but maybe I can calm her down a bit.”

“I reckon that’s a good idea.” Applejack agreed, “You two were friends after all. She wouldn’t run off if it’s only you searching her out.”

“I guess I’ll see you three tomorrow then.” Marco waved again, “Fluttershy... I’ll swing by the hospital and see you and Rarity then, okay?”

“Okay.” the timid pegasus replied quietly before joining the rest of her friends as they left, “Goodbye Marco.”

“That just leaves you I guess.” the stallion turned to his one remaining friend, “I get to see the others off tomorrow, but this probably will be the last time I see you for a little while.”

Pinkie Pie stood quietly between Marco and Luna. Since the excitable earth pony would be leaving for Appleoosa tonight, the next time he’d be able to see her would be after she got back.

“Good Luck Pinkie.” he said as they embraced, “Take care of yourself and try and bring back some good news for us okay?”

“You betcha.” she replied happily, “But you better promise to take care of the others for me. Oh, and yourself too!”

“Heh, okay... I promise.” he replied as they each took a step back, “See ya.”


Waving non-stop until she disappeared outside, Pinkie Pie too left the palace, headed straight for the hospital and Rarity’s bedside. Which meant only Spellbound, Luna, and Marco remained behind.

“Well, until next time.” Spellbound gave a casual salute as she promptly turned away as well, though she was heading deeper inside the night palace instead of following the others out the door, “See you at noon. Don’t be late.”

The guard received no reply as she left. Only until the clicking of her armoured hooves against the palace floor faded away did the princess and the stallion meet eyes.

“Okay, that just leaves the two of us.” Marco broke the silence, “What’d you want to talk just to me about?”

“Did Tager not deliver my pendant to you as her friend requested?” Luna took him by surprise with the sudden question, “I can see you are not wearing it, so where is it?”

“I, uh...” Marco’s expression went blank as he realized, “Damn it. Yeah, she gave it to me, but I put it in my saddlebags. And she, well... kinda took those with her.”

At this, the princess sighed deeply. Curiously, it wasn’t a weary or disappointed sigh, but one of frustration. “Marco, I intended for you to the one to carry it from the beginning.” she said directly, “Why is it that you refuse to wear it?”

“Isn’t it fine so long as one of us has it on them?” he questioned, trying to work out how this was important enough for her to want to discuss it alone, “Besides, there’s no particular reason... I’m just not all that comfortable wearing-”

“Marco...” Luna cut him off, “You misunderstand. There is a reason why I insist you wear the amulet. And it is different than merely allowing me to teleport to your side...”

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know what you’re talking about.” he confessed, “What else does that thing do?”

“It is my essence Marco, a part of my soul if you will.” Luna elaborated, “Its power is great, and for this reason you would do well to keep it close to your heart. It will help defend you against things that only magic can repel...”

“I still don’t understand.” the stallion matched her meaningful stare, “Defend against what exactly?”

“Do not pretend you know not of what I speak.” Luna accused directly, her seriousness intensifying “I am far too acquainted with that evil for you to try and hide it from me.”

The princess didn’t receive anything but silence. But like a guilty child, Marco’s head bowed, acknowledging the accuracy of Luna’s suspicions. “I really need not say it, do I?” she questioned, closing her eyes solemnly, “Nightmare Moon. She harasses you still, toying with you in your sleep. You did well in fighting her back yourself, but I can see that her whisperings still linger about you.

“My pendant can keep her at bay.” the princess continued, her tone becoming imploring, “Her tainted voice will not be able to reach you beyond its magic.”

It’s... it’s really not that bad.” Marco finally spoke, “I get the odd nightmare every now and then, and sometimes I think I can hear her trying to say things to me. If it were any worse I would’ve told you- well, somepony about it, but with everything that’s been going on... I just didn’t think it mattered too much.”

“I believe I already told you that no matter the hour, my ear will always be open to these kinds of troubles.” Luna replied softly, “And I know you don’t like me reminding you over and over, but I know what it’s like. Whether you’re feeling afraid, angry, sorrowful or doubtful, you’d be a fool to think I wouldn’t understand.”

“And if I wore your pendant, what then?” he questioned, “Would there be none of that?”

“I cannot be certain of that enigma’s methods, but you would be safe for the most part.” the princess answered, “Again, it will keep her at bay, but if her touch does fall on you, my amulet sill allows me to come directly to your aid.”

“Alright, I get it.” Marco exhaled tiredly, “I’ll make sure I’m the one holding onto it from now on. That said, now that Tager’s disappeared on us, getting it back before tomorrow won’t be easy.”

“If I were you, I wouldn’t waste your energy on it now.” Luna replied, “I suspect tonight will be more peaceful than what we’ve known since this all began.”

“Well, even if I was worried about having nightmares, I don’t expect have much time for sleeping today.” Marco brightened slightly, “I’ve got enough on my plate, and it’s not a short trip to the frozen north, even by train. My time’s probably better spent sleeping then anyway right?”

“Rest isn’t typically such a calculated process, but it does seem you are busy.” the princess replied, also brightening as the mood changed, “Forgive me then for pulling you aside so suddenly. If you’re headed back to Ponyville right away, I suggest you catch up with Twilight Sparkle.”

“Yeah, I’ll do that.” he nodded curtly, “If I hurry I might be able to catch her as she leaves the palace library...”

“I shall see you tomorrow by noon.” Luna returned the gesture, “Good luck.”

“Thanks.” Marco turned on the spot, making for the exit, “I guess I’ll be off then.”


Her look ambiguous, the princess simply watched as the stallion followed the same path his friends had taken out of her palace. And while she felt it might just be her wandering mind playing tricks, she liked the symbolism in that. A lost soul who had finally found the comfort of true friends, and was now following in their footsteps and creating a new path for himself.

“Stay safe.” Luna smiled to herself, speaking only now that she was alone in her empty palace, “If you need me... you know where I’ll be.”