• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 846 Views, 47 Comments

Violet Lace - DemonAngel13



Violet was once viewed as bland to the other Canterlot elite. Oh, if they could see her now. After an unexpected friendship, her life is forever changed into something unpredictable. If only she could keep her heart in check without breaking it.

  • ...
1
 47
 846

Cloudy day

Bang Bang Bang!

Violet Lace readjusted her dress, eager to look her best before she opened the door. She glanced again at her full-length mirror to admire her appearance. The mirror held the reflection of a beautiful mare wearing a dress. The dress was black, obviously. It sparkled and shone like the night sky, and caused her frame to rival even the prettiest models in Canterlot. Her grey mane tumbled down her shoulders to her front knees. Her hooves were freshly polished, colored silver.

Bang Bang Bang!

She glanced at the door, a sharp spike of urgency causing her hooves to shake. She needed to look good for him, but she also needed to open the door and let him in.

"Okay, okay... just give me a minute!" She shouted towards the door. She stole another glance at her mirror. Her tiara sat perfectly in front of her horn. Her dress was still perfectly in place. Smiled, her teeth were white. Her lavender coat shined and her Cutie mark...

Her cutie mark...

What was her cutie mark again...?

Bang Bang Bang! "Violet Lace, if you don't wake up this minute, I'm taking away your typewriter!"

"Whoa- ahhhhhhh!" Violet crashed onto the floor near her bed with a painful thump. She didn't have anytime to recover before she was covered with a heap of fabric and down feathers.

"Oh! That sound's promising." Her mother shouted from behind her door. "Hurry up and get ready!

Violet listened as her mother's hoofsteps echoed down the hall. She shook off one of her throw pillows off of her back with a sigh. "Yes mother..."

Her left back leg ached as she stood up to go about her morning routine. She felt her neck pop as she stretched and twisted. Using her magic, she levitated her blankets and pillows back in place on her bed, cleaning up her mess. After that, she started moving around her room to get ready for school.

Her room was gray. The walls were painted the same color as her mane, and the only thing that stood out against her walls was a bright white trim that surrounded the windows and doors. She didn't have any paintings or pictures. Even her curtains were just a shade darker than her walls. Just the way her mother liked it.

Simplicity is something that will never go out of style. It's safe. That way, no matter what, you'll always be following the latest trend! She quoted in her head. Her mother, as anypony can probably tell, was very fashion-conscious. The rest of the house always had subtly placed magazines and coupons for the latest styles. Her mother never walked out of the house without something adorned in her mane or some sort of accessory.

Her father was different... but still the same. Instead of being worried about his appearance being of the latest trends, he just worries about his appearance in general. He always appeared clean and trim. His mane slicked back against his head, and his white coat adorned with only a startling black tie. Never one to make a scene, he always seemed cold and passive aggressive. He worked as a business pony. He watches over a large percentage of traded items that make their way through Canterlot and onto displays in stores.

Her mother didn't really have a job, unless you counted socializing with the Canterlot elite.

It was needless to say that they were well off. Not that it mattered to Violet. But at the same time, she wasn't complaining. There certainly wasn't anything to complain about.

Now, she gazed at her reflection in her bedroom mirror. The monstrosity of a mirror took up a full corner of her room from floor to ceiling. The tower of glass made Violet look small. Not that that was an accomplishment. She was a filly, after all. Some elder ponies would even go far enough to call her a foal.

She sighed at her reflection. She looked the same as she did everyday. No longer did she look like the tall, beautiful mare in her dream with the dress made out of stars. Now, she looked like herself. Lavender coat that didn't shine, but was still considered to be 'sweetly cute' by her mother. Her gray mane wasn't long, but wasn't short. It wasn't curly and it wasn't straight. Her overall appearance was... average.

Then there was her flank. Which was blank.

Violet shrugged at her train of thought and went on about her morning routine. She gathered her mane in a ponytail that was perfectly placed between her ears and brushed back any stray hairs that found their way to her face. She gathered her books and placed them in her bag, then levitated said bag next to her bedroom door for later. she straightened her desk from last nights writing session and started filling her typewriter with a new set of paper.

"Honey, you have a few minutes before you need to head out!" Her mother shouted. Violet rolled her eyes. Her mother always made her arrive fashionably late, but that was what everypony did, so there was really no point. Everpony arrived in the classroom at the exact same time so nopony was ever really late. Much less, made it fashionable.

"Yes mother." She shouted back.

"A lady must never raise her voice." Her father said from right outside her door. "Same to you, as well." He said, probably facing Violet's mother.

Violet sighed and opened the door to reveal her father facing towards the kitchen.

"Good morning, dear." His father said. "Hope you have a lovely day at school. Maybe make some friends today? Ponies are starting to talk."

Violet stared up at her father. His mane was the same as her's, but his was held against his head with a series of gels and creams. It shone with oil and kept every lock in place. His coat seemed freshly cleaned and his tie was as stiff as a board. She wrinkled her nose subtly at the intense wave of the smell of cologne that seemed to radiate off of the stallion.

"I'll try, father." She said as she swiftly tried to walk out of the fumes. She ended up walking into another cloud of smells when she ran into her mother.

The mare that gave birth to her gave her a small smile. Her coat was meant to be the same color as Violet's, but she dyed it so frequently that Violet was even shocked that she remembered what it looked like. As of this moment, it was a prestigious cream that went beautifully with her navy blue colored mane. In her mane, right above her left ear, was a diamond pin that she had recently bought last week. Violet found herself wrinkling her nose again due to the too-strong scent of white roses.

"Hello, sweetie." Her mother sang. "Have fun at school."

And Violet was out the door.

...

"Thanks again, Doughnut Joe." Violet shouted over her shoulder.

"No problem, kid!" He called back.

Violet ate her breakfast in peace, careful not to get any glaze on her face. One good thing about Canterlot, it was quieter than most places. Nopony would ever be caught making a scene or being obnoxious. That would cause bad attention.

The sound of thunder rumbled above her. Violet looked up to see pegasi placing angry looking clouds in the sky. The forecast called for rain the next couple of days. Nothing more than a light drizzle until evening, then it was going to pour. The Canterlot ponies insisted! They would never be caught in full daylight with wet and frizzy manes and thoroughly soaked clothes.

Violet hummed monotonously in response of the black mass that hung over her head. Thinking of simply one thing.

This was a bad omen.

...

"Alright class! Today, we are going to be discussing the history of ancient Equestria! Or, as the book tells me to pronounce it, The land before ponydom!" Miss Feathered Quill said as she wrote the saying on the board. Miss Quill was a great teacher, but on occasion, her chipper and high pitched voice got on Violet's nerves. Like today.

"But! before we do anything, I'm going to introduce a new student."

All of Violet's classmates sat up and perked their ears. They didn't get new students here often. At other schools it was probably a commonplace, but here, at Canterlot's school for the gifted it was virtually nonexistent. Even now, not five seconds after the phrase 'new student' was uttered, Violet could already hear whispers from her other classmates.

"Do you think her family bought her in? She must be rich!"

"I heard she got a private scholarship from Celestia herself! She's obviously some form of royalty!"

"She must have million's of connections, I bet her mom is, like, a famous movie star, or something!"

Violet grimaced at the gossip and turned her ears forward. A new face entered her vision. A small filly, roughly a few inches shorter that she was, sat next to Miss Quill. She had a bright yellow mane that was streaked with what appeared to be locks of gold. Her coat was a peach color, and around her neck was a simple necklace with a lapis lazuli charm in the shape of a water drop. Her mane and tail were long and pulled back into two sets of thick braids that were tied off with navy blue ties. Her overall appearance just screamed 'Sunset'.

"This, class, is Cloudy Sun. She will be joining our class from now on, so please treat her kindly." Miss Quill said, her bright white teeth shining.

As quickly as they started, Violet heard the whispers die. Though Violet could easily admit that the filly was pretty, it was obvious that her family wasn't particularly wealthy or royal. Her name didn't ring any bells, so she wasn't famous either. She was just... a simple earth pony.

Not to mention, a blank flank.

Let the chaos begin. Violet thought sympathetically. This pony was going to get bullied. A lot. She got everyponies hopes up, and had them crushed and crumbled them to the ground. Though, with her sweet smile and bright appearance, Violet was sure to assume that she was a nice pony. But that doesn't mean anything here.

"You can sit right next to Violet Lace, she sits right over there." Miss Quill said to Cloudy Day as she motioned with her wing. Violet glanced at the empty desk that had been empty all school year. She watched as the new filly walked over to her with a bright smile on her face and a skip in her step.

"Hiya!" She said gleefully when she sat down. "My name is Cloudy Sun, but you can call me Cloudy if ya want!"

Violet nodded. "Hello Cloudy Sun, I hope you like it at Canterlot Gifted. My name is Violet Lace."

"Ooo... 'Canterlot Gifted', I like it! It's really nice to meet you, Violet." She smiled an ear-to-ear grin that showed off glowing white teeth.

Violet took the opportunity of class to take a closer look at the pony next to her. With a more thorough examination, Violet realized that her mane didn't have gold streaks. Instead, it was simply platinum blond with an intense amount of shine. Her tail traveled down out of her chair to where the ends of her braid brushed lightly against the marble floor. Her eyes were a navy blue, similar to the color of her ribbons that held her mane in place. The chain that held her necklace was a plain silver and held no embellishments other than the single crystal.

Her general appearance was rather plain. Violet looked at the other fillies and colts in the huge classroom and saw her fair share of bracelets and pocket watches. One of them constantly wore a huge -and frankly, obnoxious- necklace that held a gigantic ruby that was rimmed with gold and smaller rubies. The entire piece of jewelry wrapped around her neck in golden plates, similar to that of the princess's attire.

The only pony that could be any plainer, was herself. Which was saying something.

...

The light, but still brain rattling bells echoed down the halls to alert the students that class was over.

"Ahhh... finally." Violet whispered under her breath. She watched as the other students somehow managed to have the action of scrambling out of their chairs and running towards the door look delicate and classy.

She landed on the ground with a gentle thud, her hooves clacked and clicked against the cold marble floor as she started walking out of the classroom.

What should I do tonight? She thought to herself. Perhaps I should write some more... or maybe finish that painting I was working on. Oh! I just got that new book from the library, I suppose I could get started on that...

She then remembered that her parents weren't going to be home that evening, they were going to be gone at some party with all of the other Canterlot elite.

I guess I should add 'make myself dinner' to that list...

"Hi again!"

Violet jumped and dropped her book bag that she had been levitating by her side. She looked behind her to see a very worried looking pony.

"Oopsie! I didn't mean to startle you... I hope you didn't break anything in your bag." Cloudy Sun said with genuine frown on her face.

"Um... well, I..." Violet stuttered, still staring at the sun colored pony. "I'm sorry for... not... noticing you."

Cloudy Sun giggled at her response. "Don't be so silly." She started picking up Violet's things and placed her bag on her own back, right over her own. "So, you live down this way, huh?"

Violet glanced down her road. Everypony who was anypony lived down this street. From Fancy Pants to Hoity Toity, if you were a pony that everypony should know, this was were you called home.

"... Yeah." Violet answered. She was still in shock from seeing Cloudy Sun so spontaneously. As of this moment... she would normally be alone and left to wander around her own thoughts. She honestly didn't really know how to react or what to say.

Granted, she wasn't anti-social or socially awkward in any way, her parents made sure of that. Imagine if your only daughter was fumbling and stuttering her words at the Grand Galloping Gala, The Garden Party, or perhaps one of Hoity Toity's fashion shows. Unheard of!

She just liked being alone... and nopony seemed to mind. They let her be by herself, but allowed her in if she ever wanted to interact. Which was never.

And now, this new pony just magically appeared out of the blue, and started a conversation. Violet required a little bit of time to adjust.

"Cool." Cloudy Sun said calmly. "I live down here too."

"Ah." Violet said, still at a loss for words. They continued on, much to her discomfort, side by side, heading towards their homes.