• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 847 Views, 47 Comments

Violet Lace - DemonAngel13



Violet was once viewed as bland to the other Canterlot elite. Oh, if they could see her now. After an unexpected friendship, her life is forever changed into something unpredictable. If only she could keep her heart in check without breaking it.

  • ...
1
 47
 847

Home, sweet Home

The moon was starting to rise, causing the city of Canterlot to seem to be cut in half. One part of the city was bathed in the silver light of the moon and stars. The other side was coated in the last persistent rays of the setting sun that filtered through the storm clouds.

“It’s right over here, behind the big tree.” Cloudy Sun said excitedly. Her hoof was curled around Violet’s, her grip relentless. Violet was shocked that her shoulder didn’t dislocate.

Cloudy’s house was large, but it certainly wasn’t as large as the other houses on their street. It was tucked into a small corner, nearly invisible. A large majority was obscured from view with trees and other plant growth. Tiny flowers seemed to be in bloom everywhere. Some blue ones here, a pink patch there, a few purple ones over there. It was rather beautiful in Violet’s mind. She wished she had more time to enjoy it.

But Cloudy tugged her along, oblivious to her new friends interests. She pulled her to the gigantic wooden door that lead inside. It was huge, clearly made of some thick old wood chopped down moons ago. The wood cracked and splintered at the edges. A small vine of ivy found its way in between the individual boards. A giant purple flower bloomed conveniently in the center. On the ground, were large stepping stones that were worn and smooth with age. The entire house just radiated the essence of ‘quaint’. Violet instantly felt a small pang of jealousy, thinking of her modern home that was decorated with harsh edges and metalic appliances.

Cloudy let herself in, to Violet's astonishment, without using a key. She just pressed the top of her head to the wood and pushed. Completely comfortable, as though she didn't have a care in the world.

"Mama! Papa! I'm home!" Cloudy shouted into the living room. Violet folded her ears back, startled at the sudden loud noise.

The inside of the house was much like the outside. A few potted plants were scattered throughout the main room. The furniture seemed to be made out of wood. There were a couple sweetly scented candles lit throughout the entire first floor, casting a warm glow through the house. The curtains were a clean white, with a delicate lace fringe. There was an old rug, with many years wearing out it's threads and fibers, on the floor beneath a bright yellow couch.

The kitchen was connected to the living room. Though it was small, it was clearly well used. Pots and pans ranging from old and dented to shiny and polished hung from the hooks above the counter. A small pile of dirty dishes lay half-hazardly in the sink. A brand-new mixer stood on the counter, with a couple drops of batter on it's edges. It smelled like it was used. Even from the living room, Violet could smell garlic and freshly baked bread.

"Welcome home, Sweety!" A sweet voice called from the top of the stairs. Violet heard the gentle sound of hoofsteps on wood and watched as a beautiful mare entered the room. Her coat was a warm cream that somehow seemed to shine. Her eyes were the color of pure gold and her smile seemed to light the room. She wasn't 'Canterlot beautiful', with long legs and a flowing mane. She was simply beautiful. Her mane, which seemed to resemble the color of gold, was held up in a simple ponytail with a braid. Her cutie mark, which was of a whisk and a bright blue bowl, was displayed without a care. Her tail wasn't styled, cut, or even colored.

"Oh! You should have told me you were bringing a friend! I would have prepared you two a snack!" The mare walked into the middle of the living room. To Violet's amazement, the metalic shine in the mare's appearance didn't seem to fade like her daughter's.

"Hello!" Cloudy's mother said with a bright smile towards Violet. "My name is Sugar Crystal. You must be Violet."

Violet nodded her head politely. "Hello, Mrs. Sugar Crystal. My name is Violet Lace. It's a pleasure making your acquaitance."

Mrs. Sugar Crystal laughed. "No need to be so formal. You can call me Mrs. Sugar." She walked towards the kitchen. "Would you like something to eat."

She turned and looked at the two fillies and noticed that they were both soaking wet. She released a heavy sigh. "I don't care what you to girls say, I'm making you two some soup."

Violet couldn't really say anything to that comment. She had to admit, once she got inside, she was freezing. Though she and Cloudy clearly loved the rain, a warm bowl of soup seemed heavenly. She didn't eat soup often, what with it being rather messy.

"Sounds good, Mama." Cloudy said. Her mother hummed over her shoulder in response, clearly taken over by her task of cutting vegetables. "Can Violet stay the night? She can't get into her house."

"Oh! That sounds dreadful!" Mrs. Sugar said, looking over her shoulder at Violet. "Of course you can stay the night dear!"

Violet mumbled a few words of thanks before she was dragged off to an unfamiliar direction. Cloudy Sun was pulling her hoof again towards the stairs. As they traveled through the narrow passage, Violet saw some pictures and trinkets lining the shelves above their heads. A fancy looking quill trophy, a picture of Cloudy as a baby, swaddled and holding a cupcake. A few candles, and a flower vase.

Once they reached the second floor, there were two doors. Cloudy went through the door on her left and Violet was suddenly hit in the face with the sweet smell of vanilla. It was just to the point of being noticable, but not annoying, unlike her mother's perfume and her father's colonge.

All around Cloudy's room were curtains. Pieces of fabric were everywhere. They surrounded the bed, draped from the ceiling, and completely engulfed the window. Scarves and random yards of fabric were lying on chairs, her bedspread, pilllows, and a couple stuffed animals. It looked like something out a Daring Do book, or maybe a magazine. All of the magnificent pieces of cloth were blue. From the darkest navy, to the palest azure.

"Mom will have dinner ready for us in a minute." Cloudy said as she hopped up onto her bright blue bed. "You'll love it, I promise."

All Violet could do was nod in response. She felt strangely awkward in somepony else's room. She kept looking around, trying to find someplace to put herself.

"Hey." Cloudy shouted, noticing Violet's discomfort. She then started scrambling around her bed and throwing pillows onto the floor. Violet, confused, watched as she ran from one side of the room to the other, plucking large stuffed animals from corners and cusions from chairs. Once she got a large amount in the middle of the floor, Cloudy then jumped and dove straight into the large heep.

"This is our first sleepover! Let's talk!" She said with a huge grin on her face.

"Sle-Sleepover." Violet stuttered. She had never been to a sleepover before.

"Yeah." Shrugged Cloudy. "Tell me about that 'Shimmering Ruby' pony. What's her deal?"

Violet sighed and made herself comfortable on one of the numerous pillows. "She's Hoity Toity's daughter."

"Oh! I've heard of him! He's a famous fashion pony, right?" Cloudy asked.

Violet nodded. "He's one of the most famous of the elite, here in Canterlot. He had some fling with one of his models and suddenly Poof! Here comes Shimmering!"

"Wow." Cloudy's ears lowered. "That's not very good for his image."

"Yeah, no kidding." Violet agreed. "That's why he showers Shimmering with rubies and gold. To show he still has it."

"That would explain her attitude." She messed with one of the edges of her scarves. "Does she treat every pony like that."

"Only those who she finds weak." Violet comforted. "The trick is not to react. Shimmering wants a show, a performance for her watch and star in. Nothing more. If you don't react, you won't give her any attention. She'll leave you alone."

Cloudy giggled. "Why do you call her that?"

"What?"

"Shimmering. You call her Shimmering, instead of Shimmering Ruby." She answered.

"Oh." Violet her ears droop and a blush of shame to appear on her cheeks. "We kind of grew up together, if you can even call it that. Our parents forced us together because we were the same age. We mainly did our own thing until it was time to go home."

"That is a sad and painful childhood, right there." Cloudy said.

Violet laughed. "Yep! explains a lot, doesn't it?" Both of the girls ended up laughing and clutching their bellies on the floor.

"Girls! Dinner's ready!" Mrs. Sugar shouted from the kitchen.