• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 846 Views, 47 Comments

Violet Lace - DemonAngel13



Violet was once viewed as bland to the other Canterlot elite. Oh, if they could see her now. After an unexpected friendship, her life is forever changed into something unpredictable. If only she could keep her heart in check without breaking it.

  • ...
1
 47
 846

Settling Carbonation

"Welcome back, class." Mrs. Quill said as she flew up to the top of the black board. "I hope all of you had a wonderful vacation."

"It certainly was eventful..." Cloudy whispered under her breath. Violet silently agreed. Who else could gain a sister, get their cutie mark, and possibly meet a super genius in a single winter break? If anyponies could be stuck with that type of fate, it would be them two.

"So," Mrs. Quill continued once the class begrudgingly quieted down. "As soon as soft week ends, I'll be giving you your assignments for the grading period, and everything will proceed as normal. I know you all want to discuss your vacations and trips and gifts and what not, but this is a place for learning, and it will stay that way." She flew back up, and began scribbling her syllabus. Everypony ignored her.

"What's... 'soft week'?" Cloudy asked.

"'Soft week' is a term used to describe the first week back from a major break in the educational system. It mainly happens in Canterlot, but a few other major cities have practiced it as well." A voice stated behind them. The two fillies whirled around to see Satin standing in the place between their desk and hers. "It's used to ensure that all of the ponies get back in time. Some of the other fillies and colts are absent, because they haven't gotten back from their trips." She motioned her hoof around the large classroom. She was right. Nearly half of the students were still missing.

"It's... also known as 'slack week'..." Violet added. She was growing increasingly worried around Satin's presence. "Because the ponies that do have to go to school don't do anything for that time."

"Oh. Cool!" Cloudy said, her eyes lighting up. Satin nodded shyly. Violet wanted to pretend that she didn't see her bright green eyes swivel to meet the back of Shimmering's head behind them.

During the last few days of their break, the two 'sisters' practiced and experimented with their cutie marks. Though Cloudy's was pretty explanatory, Violet's was one that provided the girls with new information every day it seemed. Though she still didn't know what the moon represented, she was sure that she had the rest of her talent figured out.

She couldn't force a character to be written. That was figured out the first day when Cloudy wanted Violet to write a story about a psychic, thinking it could possibly give her the ability to see into the future. It didn't work. And a horrible pain appeared in Violet's stomach, and grew worse for every word she typed. Bye the time the actual character was supposed to be written, she was on the floor and was wishing to smash her new typewriter into smithereens.

She also figured out that, so long as she doesn't push her actual physical and mental boundaries, she was fine along the lines of the aftermath. Meaning, she could change into White Rose or Scarlet Enigma (the vampire pony) and be completely fine just so long as she doesn't do anything that she, herself, without her special talent could do. Of course, things got tricky along the lines of personality, but she considered a headache much more bearable when compared to her original and first transformation. The few pegasi that she's written caused her to feel...strange. It was as though her hooves weren't touching the ground, and her own body had lost its sense of stability and solidity. It made her uncomfortable. Same with Earth ponies, which caused her to not be able to use her magic.

Satin, all the while, seemed to be a lingering thought in Violet's mind. She hadn't seen Satin since the last event of the ball, which was a large tea party located in one of Canterlot Castle's many tea rooms. It was a brief meeting, mainly having a few phrases being exchanged and small smiles being shared. Though she was positive that Satin would never do anything mean, it still worried Violet knowing that the white pony with intense green eyes might know about her special talent and what it could mean.

She tried explaining this to Cloudy one night as they were both going to bed. Her friend, reasonably, didn't understand. She thought Violet's talent was amazing, and that she had every right to share it with the world without being afraid. Violet, realizing that something like this was something that Cloudy didn't have the ability to comprehend just yet, reluctantly agreed and wished her good night.

Even Violet would admit without hesitation that it was close to impossible to describe her fear. She didn't understand it herself, even. This made many nights frustrating and... rather headache inducing. It was just... something in her gut told her not to tell anypony. Some being lingered over her head, strong and protecting, and whispered in her ear to keep her talent a secret. It wasn't a menacing presence... or one that suggested mistrust and dishonesty. Instead, it simply wished for Violet to be careful, and to choose wisely who she told.

She didn't choose to tell Satin. From what it looks to be, Satin figured it out on her own. It was now Violet's choice to confirm Satin's suspicion or to leave her guessing. Satin was a nice pony, who was clearly being taken advantage of by Shimmering. She was also clearly intelligent, but chooses to hide it because of Shimmering's massive ego. Her tail also appears to be permanently glued to her flank, for what Violet and Cloudy both could deduce, was Shimmering's sake. It was abundantly clear that Shimmering, whether Satin liked it or not, was her priority. That was probably what scared Violet.

Shimmering was the type to take advantage of a ponies weakness. That's the Canterlot way, and Shimmering was a prime example of a fully Canterlot raised filly. And she knew it too. She knew that she had influence, and she knew that she could take any pony down with a simple order to her father or a tantrum in a store.

Violet's weakness, though she would never admit it out loud, was the fear of being alone.

She had spent most of her fillyhood being alone and distant from the only family that she had. She absorbed herself in her writing and reading until she met Cloudy. Cloudy caused a change in Violet that, though she was the most grateful a pony could be, was dramatic and life changing.

She no longer had the ability to write freely anymore. Her talent limited that. As of lately, Violet's writing had also been heavily influenced by Cloudy through motivation. She doesn't have the capability to sit, alone in a room, and lose herself in hours of writing and scribbling anymore. Therefore, leaving her to stare her weakness dead in the face.

For Shimmering, that weakness was her strength. All she had to do was lie or complain the the authorities, her father, or any of the Canterlot elite, and Violet as well as her adopted family would be forced to leave Canterlot due to humiliation. Though that didn't seem all that bad, she couldn't bear to think of Mr. Parch and Mrs. Sugar resenting her, even quietly. She couldn't risk Cloudy getting mad, and having the bond that was forged between them be severed because of the fact that she had to move schools and start over again. Plus, the idea of leaving the school, and being forced to socialize with an entirely new group of ponies, didn't seem all that appealing to Violet in the plainest of sense.

The only thing she could do, was sit, and wait for Shimmering to reveal her intentions by mistake or by bragging.

That was why she was so afraid of Satin, she could only assume. Satin, as smart as she was, was hiding her profound intellect because of Shimmering’s wishes. If Satin was willing to hind her mind, which both Violet and Cloudy guessed was the most pronounced part of her personality, it wasn’t that hard to imagine Satin revealing Violet’s talent because Shimmering simply asked her to.

Violet felt herself wince. If Shimmering were to know her talent, it would mean ridicule and torture for her new family. She would be labeled a freak. Her ‘parents’ would be questioned about her peculiar talent, unaware of the side-effects and limitations that her talent held. She would seem overpowered, and would then be criticized and mocked. Canterlot ponies hated being shown up, and Violet’s talent, at least on the outside, seemed amazing at doing just that.

Violet brushed away her thoughts and focused on Satin again. She kept her eyes locked firmly on the white pony’s.

“How…um… how are you two?” She asked, a bright pink blush highlighting her cheeks. “Last I saw, you were trying to choke down tea.”

Cloudy and Violet wrinkled their noses. In the short time that Violet had made her home at Cloudy’s house, she had become spoiled. Mrs. Sugar’s herbal tea, broths, and cocoa were really the only hot drink she could stand at the moment. The tea at the party had seemed to thin, and far too hot for her taste. Cloudy felt the same way, considering she almost assaulted a passerby with her cup. Even now, Violet couldn’t get the sight of Cloudy’s eyes tearing up and her forceful swallowing of the drink. She was sure that her friend would gladly give up every blue colored thing in her room simply to never taste that tea again.

"We're good." Cloudy said with a beaming smile. "It's nice that everything has quieted down, though."

Violet silently agreed. When they first entered class, both girls were suddenly surrounded by a wave of gold jewelry and mane-spray. News had spread about the two fillies getting their cutie marks, and more importantly, showing up Shimmering at the garden party.

Now, a few minutes later, everything and everypony had been scared into silence. Violet didn't have the heart to tell Mrs. Quill that it wasn't her superb teaching, but instead Shimmering's harsh glare.

"How are you?" Violet asked Satin. Hey, she was still polite, wasn't she?

"I'm..." Her eyes darted to the candy red mane behind them. "I'm good."

"Great." Violet's tone took on a cold disposition. Satin was wearing the same stained and torn scarf that Shimmering had given her. She could see, even without vampire vision, that Satin's fur prickled with discomfort where the scarf met her neck. There was a long pause. No pony knew what to say.

"Well... the reason why I wanted to talk to you, was because I was hoping that we could meet-" Satin's bright green eyes lost their spark. Instead, her nose pointed upward, and her ears lowered in a form of cowardice. Violet could only describe it as a look of belittlement, mixed evenly with shyness. It was shocking... and a little disturbing.

"You should be glad that my father invited you to the event, considering your horrible actions and behavior..." She took a breath, as though she had to force out every word and gather the courage to spring them out onto the world. "And... um... Don't think that you two can talk to me whenever you want! You can't!... um... Only the most prestigious rankings of the social aristocratic can speak to ponies such as I! You... you two are inferior to Haut Monde! How dare ponies such as yourselves to speak so freely to a gilt-edged individual such as myself!"

Violet was shocked by Satin's words. Though... she couldn't deny her wording was quite admirable.

Suddenly, Shimmering sauntered over with her usual smug smile. She gracefully swung her hoof over Satin's shoulder, and casually readjusted her scarf.

"Quite right, Scarfy." She said with a haughty tone. "Though, you really shouldn't say words you don't understand..." She rubbed her hoof under Satin's jaw, turning her head forcing her to look Shimmering in the eye. "We would hate for you to look like an idiot... as well as make others look stupid. Not that they would notice. I bet that they didn't know half of what you just said!"

Lousy, no good little-

"Um... yeah... sorry." Satin said, her ears lowering even more.

Shimmering huffed. Her eyes were trained on Violet's body. She felt her fur prickle and stand on end. Shimmering had seemed notoriously desperate for finding things to mock them about. But, both of the girls stood tall and held their ground. If Violet could deal with transformations and nights filled with headaches and stomach pain, she could handle Shimmering.

She looked towards Cloudy and saw that she was in the same pose. Her chest out, her head held high, and her eyes never darting away from Shimmering's cold glare. Cloudy had different reasons to stand up and tower over her. Shimmering had mocked her, and made fun of the things that she had felt the most insecure about. Things that she had confidence in, such as her pretty coat and mane, were ridiculed and called 'freakish'. Her own heritage was humiliated.

Realizing that she wasn't getting anywhere, the pompous pony trotted off with her nose held high. Satin was trapped under her hoof as she strutted off to her table.

Violet saw a note on the ground.

"Hey, Violet?" Cloudy asked once they got themselves situated into their desks. "What's a 'Hot Mound? Is it like... a volcano or something?"

"Hm?" Violet looked up from the paper that was delicately folded. "Oh, the Haut Monde. It originally was a phrase that meant something along the lines of 'high society'. In Canterlot, it's the name of the group of the wealthiest ponies in the city. It's very exclusive, and Satin and her Father are members."

"Oohhhh..." Cloudy said, comprehending. "Is Shimmering a member?"

"Yes, last I checked." She started to unfold the paper. "Mother and Father didn't take me, not recently anyway. But when I was tiny, she was there, yeah."

"Hm." Cloudy grunted. "That sucks. I bet the get fancy food there..."

"They mainly just sit around, wearing robes, and building models of cities out of bits... it was weird." Violet said, finally getting the paper unfolded. It was tricky, with many of its corners being tucked into places and pockets. She almost didn't hear Cloudy laughing.

She was actually glad that Satin's handwriting was nothing more than chicken scratch. If she had Violet's carefully pronounced calligraphy, Violet would officially be labeled as jealous.

Dear Violet Lace,
It has come to my attention that we will not be within each other's presence for quite some time, due to some unfortunate obstacles. I can only recommend a meeting of some sort, in private, along with that chipper friend of yours, Cloudy Sun.

It is urgent.

I also wish to discuss your rather peculiar cutie mark. You and I both know I read a lot of books, but my eyes have yet to have diminished in skill and capabilities.

How about we meet at Doughnut Joes? I have never eaten at that establishment, due to said unfortunate obstacles. I feel as though it would be a delightful treat. Shall we meet later today? More specifically, after school? I wait your response eagerly.

Hopefully, your new friend,
Satin Scarf.

Violet placed the paper down on her desk, and slid it over to Cloudy to read. Her eyes met Satin's from across the room. Her bright eyes were sharp and focused, like before. Shimmering was busy. With the way her body was angled, the pony was occupied by the spreading of gossip about her now ex-special some pony, and her ex-friend, Pheonix Heart.

Violet nodded, and Satin nodded back.

...

“Where are we going again?” Cloudy whined. “Was it really so important that we had to skip lunch?”

“Yes.” Violet answered. “And you can get something at Joe’s, if you’re really that hungry.”

To be honest, no, they really didn’t need to skip lunch. Violet was just eager to get out of the school and away from the mob that threatened to consume her. Even with Shimmering as a threat, some of the ponies from other classes had heard, and were more than willing to deal with a few glares or two in order to ask the two fillies about their new cutie marks.

Plus, she also found herself really eager to see Satin.

A new friend…? The words echoed against the walls of her skull. For some reason, that sounded really appealing. It was strange, Violet had thought. She shouldn’t need a new friend, she had Cloudy.

But… it wasn’t really a bad thing to add another one to the group… was it?

No... no it isn't. She consoled herself. If anything, it was totally normal. Cloudy was an amazing gift, one that she will always appreciate, but it was totally fine if she wanted a second friend. Maybe a third. Even a fourth!

At least, that's what she told herself as they walked through the glass doors of the restaurant. Satin was sitting at the farthest table, tucked away into a corner. She was holding something.

"Hi Satin!" Cloudy cheered. "I got you a doughnut! I got you glazed, I didn't know what you preferred... so..."

"Oh, um... thank you kindly." Satin said. She cautiously sniffed the bag that her pastry was held in. Violet wouldn't be shocked if she had never tasted a doughnut before.

"Glazed is always a safe choice." Violet explained. "But, it's more fun once you've pick out your own specific kind." She bit into her jelly filled treat. Bright red and purple jelly oozed out of the opening. Sugar crystals glistened on the warm dough. Mrs. Sugar was the best cook Violet had ever had the enjoyment of meeting, but Joe had a talent. Nopony could deny that.

"Interesting... choice." Satin said, looking at Violet's treat. "Almost gothic, I would have to say."

Violet stopped chewing. As clean as she was, it was near impossible to prevent an occasional smear of jam to catch on her lips every now and again. "What are you getting at?"

"Can I be blunt?" Satin asked. She gently pulled out her doughnut and examined it.

"Sure." Violet said. She took another bite. Cloudy looked between them, confused by their behavior.

"I think you were lying when you said your talent was." Satin said. Violet's stomach went cold, as though a large ball of ice swirled around and stretched her belly in uncomfortable contortions. "And I saw your cutie mark change."

The two girls were silent.

"I think you were hiding your true special talent, and I think you know why it changes and are trying to hide that too." She twirled the doughnut in the air with magic. "And... I think I understand your hesitancy to make things public."

She hopped off her chair. Cloudy and Violet both looked at her. She pulled the lock of her tail, the one that was always covering her cutie mark, away. She gathered the rest of her tail and held it to her chest in a gesture of timidity.

Her cutie mark was a light bulb. It glowed, and sent several points in every direction like a halo. Wrapped around the glass casing that held in the light, was a grey ribbon.

"My special talent, as you might of noticed, is intellect." She clutched her tail tighter to her chest. "I have a profound knowledge of many topics and courses of a vast majority."

"She's really smart about a lot of things." Violet translated to Cloudy as she gazed at Satin's cutie mark. It really did fit her.

It was odd. It seemed as though every new cutie mark she had encountered within the past few days had a type of shine to them. Cloudy's bright blue and white flowers sparkled like the lapis lazuli gems and ivory. Though hers was explained, what with her apparent heritage to a special type of arctic pony that Violet didn't know the name of, Violet's wasn't. Her moon was silver. Not even she could deny that. It shined and reflected light like a mirror-like material. And now, Satin's seemed to be golden, with amber like specks sprinkled at random. Her only guess was that she had a new appreciation for them. As though her achievement of getting her cutie mark made her acknowledge the beauty of other's.

"In it's simplest phrasing... yes. I suppose you could say 'I'm really smart.'" She placed her pastry down on a napkin. "But-"

"May I be blunt?" Violet asked, interrupting.

There was a pause. "Yes." She answered. Her usual blush coated her cheeks. Violet had a brief thought of water color poppies and cotton candy clouds... The color swirled and faded. Some parts of the fillies cheeks were slightly blotchier than others, leaving a faint peach color standing out in puddles in large lagoons of strawberry banana smoothie colored dye. Her white fur made the entire onslaught of color seem air brushed and soft.

"Is it possible..." She started, trying to find the right words. "That you could be hiding your intellect and talent, yourself? Simply for the sake of not having to deal with a ratty, big mouthed, pompadour wearing, candy apple mimicking, jewel encrusted dog biting the back of your hooves?"

Cloudy was silent. Her eyes darted from one pony to the other. She was to engulfed in their conversation, she hadn't even touched her 'lunch'.

"Touché." Satin said. She raised her doughnut in a toast. "You're right."

Violet raised her eyebrows in a brief moment of victory. She raised her partially eaten doughnut in a similar fashion. "As are you." She put her dessert on back on the table. "I do know why my cutie mark changes, and I did lie about my talent. But you explained that you also had the possibility of understanding?"

Satin sighed. "Before I so rudely began this conversation, I had an epiphany. I had originally planned on finding out your talent, and telling Ruby about it afterwards. It would... give me peace... at least for a little while. It would make her happy, and therefore make it so that she wouldn't be forcing her butlers to break open my door in the middle of my reading and forcing me to use my 'loud and obnoxious head' to figure it out for her."

"She called you loud and obnoxious?" Cloudy asked for the first time in minutes. "That... isn't even funny. I mean... what the h-"

"But?" Violet interrupted. They were in public, and recently Cloudy had a bad habit of forgetting social graces. Violet figured it was because of her new found confidence. Though she was right, it was absurd. "You said 'originally planned'. Meaning, you have changed said plan, I hope?"

Satin nodded. "I... want to join forces... so to speak."

"Oh?" Both girls chorused.

"You two have shown me nothing but kindness... for me to do something like that..." She trailed off and glanced at her scarf. Violet saw the look of malice that flickered in her eyes as she focused on the white fabric. "My father taught me better! I refuse to stoop down to Ruby's level. She's the kind of pony that turns into a horrible, lifeless drone in this city. I know I'm better than that."

There was another moment of silence. The harsh and determined words that were spoken settled. Violet made a motion to Joe behind the counter. He came back with three large glasses of soda.

"Well... I suppose we should set a plan in motion then." She said. She wrapped her mouth around the straw and swallowed the sweet, burning liquid. Cloudy, ignoring the straw, raised the glass to her lips and started swallowing in a rather impressively delicate manner.

"What do I do?" Satin said, looking at her drink curiously.

"Simple." Violet answered. "Right now, you drink. Tomorrow, you sit."

Author's Note:

My computer may be broken, but my determination is not! I'm still able to write in school and such, so, though I may not be as productive as before, I'll still manage! Hurray for blowing off classes and ignoring the trials and hardships of reality!