• Published 6th Sep 2015
  • 819 Views, 46 Comments

Timeless Rulers - Arcanum -Phantasy



for years Twilight thought that there were only four Alicorns in the world. well, she was wrong! And now she needs to help them improve their bonds with their subjects. No problem, except one wants to kill her and she have the hots for another.

  • ...
12
 46
 819

Strength

Chapter 5: Strength



Fluttershy sat at her table, sipping tea while a frustrated Twilight sat across from her. After what happened the previous night, Twilight decided to ask Fluttershy for some advice on how she could help Morning Star. On her way out, Nevermore asked if he could accompany her. Seeing no harm, she agreed and the two of them flew to Fluttershy’s cabin. After about an hour of trying to calm her jumpy pegasus friend down when she saw the Prince of Death, the three of them settled down at her kitchen table where she served them and herself some herbal tea and cookies.

“So you see,” she concluded. “I have no idea how to help her.”

Fluttershy took another sip of her tea, then said, “Oh my. This is serious.”

“I know.”

While the two mares strategized, Nevermore stared at the cookie on his plate with confusion.

What am I supposed to do with this? Is it food? Decoration, maybe?

He gave the treat a cautious nudge with his hoof.

This got Twilight’s attention.

“Uh, Prince Nevermore? Are you okay?”

He raised his head towards Twilight, his usual blank expression greeting her.

“Yes, Princess Twilight Sparkle, I am just trying to ascertain the purpose of this thing on my plate.”

Twilight raised a brow.

“Uh you’re supposed to eat it,” she said.

“Ah, thank you,” he said, levitating it to his mouth with his magic.

Do they not have cookies where he’s from?

Choosing to set that inquiry for another time, she shifted her attention back to Fluttershy.

“So any suggestions?”

Fluttershy set her now empty cup down on the table before putting a hoof to her chin. Then after a moment, she looked at Nevermore and said, “If you don’t mind me asking, do you know were she is right now?”

“Yes,” he said mechanically.

“Would you be willing to tell me?”

Twilight’s jaw dropped at what she suspected her friend was planning.

“Yes,” he said before Twilight could protest. “In fact, I would greatly appreciate it.”

“Thank you.”

“Woe, woe, woe, hold it!” Twilight cried. “You do know that we’re talking about an Alicorn with PTSD and a serious grudge against the Elements of Harmony, right?”

“I know,” Fluttershy nodded. “And that’s why I should be the one to talk to her.”

“I agree,” Nevermore said, taking a sip of his tea. “Though my former student can be wild, she will not attack somepony she perceives as weaker than her. So long as she’s not provoked, that is.”

Taking that into account, it did make sense to have Fluttershy reason with her. While her friends were very kind and considerate, they weren’t the most democratic ponies in Equestria. Fluttershy was patient, kind, and always carful not to offend those she spoke to. If she weren’t so skittish, Fluttershy would’ve made a great politician in the Canterlot Royal Court. All the same, Twilight didn’t like the idea of throwing her friend into the lion’s den by herself.

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

Fluttershy looked at her, determination shining in her eyes as she said, “I don’t want to do this; I have to do this. She insulted you and our friends and there is no way I’m going to let that stand. Somepony needs to talk some sense into her and I’m the best one for the job.”

Twilight was dazzled by her friend’s sudden shift in personality.

“Alright Fluttershy, but I don’t want you to go alone. Nevermore and I will be close by to protect you if anything goes wrong.”

“Thank you Twilight,” she nodded, smiling.

With that, she turned towards Nevermore.

“Were is she, if you don’t mind me asking.”

“Give me a moment,” he said closing his eyes.

His horn began to glow a wicked black light as he cast a locator spell, or at least some variation of one. Twilight noticed that the spell seemed to have a more subtle feeling of emptiness behind it. Almost like it was made of thin mist. The feel of it sent a chill down her spine as it passed her. After about three minutes, the magic rushed back into Nevermore’s horn and he opened his eyes.

“She’s a lot closer than I thought she would be,” he mumbled to himself. “She’s in a clearing in the Everfree Forest, approximately one mile away from here.”

“Thank you Mr. Nevermore,” Fluttershy bowed. “Let’s do this.”

With that, the three of them stepped out of the cottage and, to Twilight’s surprise, fallowed Fluttershy into the air. Twilight could only stare at her friend in wonder as they headed in the direction of the clearing Nevermore designated. Fluttershy was the most timid pony Twilight knew. Not to long ago, just talking to any strange pony would’ve made the pegasus cower. And yet, here she was, flying right up to a war-damaged Alicorn that even Twilight was afraid to confront.

You just never cease to amaze me.

“There it is,” Nevermore said, pointing to a rapidly approaching clearing.

Twilight nodded.

“Good. Let’s do this.”

“Wait,” he said, stopping.

The two mares fallowed suit, giving him puzzled looks.

“It would be a bad idea for all three of us to land right next to her.”

“Why?” Twilight asked, tilting her head.

“Morning Star will feel our magic and will most likely take it as a challenge. The whole point of Miss Fluttershy coming here was to prevent such an outcome.”

Twilight nodded in agreement.

She hadn’t thought about that. With their current location being so close to Ponyville, the last thing she wanted to do was cause Morning Star to feel the need to fight.

“Miss Fluttershy has next to no magic to her name,” he continued. “Therefore, she will most likely giver her little to no notice what-so-ever.”

“I see,” Twilight agreed.

“Keeping that in mind, this is my plan: the two of us stay back just outside of Morning Star’s range of perception while Miss Fluttershy approaches her on her own. As soon as we sense anything hostile, we take it from there and subdue my former student before she doe’s something regretful. Any questions?”

The two of them thought about it carefully. The plan, though risky, did sound effective, but before Twilight could point out any possible flaws in Nevermore’s strategy, Fluttershy had already started flying off. Twilight made to fallow her but was held back by Nevermore’s magic. Twilight struggled against the black aura surrounding her, as she was pulled down to ground level with its source.

“Calm down Twilight Sparkle. I understand your concerns, but getting any closer to her would put both of you in very real danger.”

“B-But Fluttershy-”

“Chose to do this herself,” he said, his tone cold, but firm. “She understands the danger that she was going to put herself into by taking this course of action. In spite of the danger, she chose to put her faith in our hooves should anything go wrong. Can’t you give her that same faith?”

As what he said sank in, her struggles ceased. With a sigh, she nodded and Nevermore canceled his magic.

“Good. Now, lets wait and see how this goes.”

“How will we know if Fluttershy’s in trouble?”

“Trust me,” he said coldly. “We’ll know.”



***




Morning Star stood at the center of the open field, a glowing orange sword floating a foot ahead of her. By her will, the blade slowly glided through the air, the weight of it in her magic bringing a familiar sense of satisfaction. Closing her undamaged eye, she moved herself into a series of strikes and forms. Each movement was swift and with rigidly rehearsed purpose. As she moved, memories of how these techniques saved her life flashed into her mind’s eye, as well as the lives she ended. To most, such memories were the stuff of nightmares, a mountain of regrets better left sealed to the back of the mind and forgotten, but not to Morning Star. Each face, each scream, every time the stains of blood or the wounds of battle marred her coat was a testament of her strength. That in the time before her ascension, she had proven herself to be one of the few strong enough to survive a cruel world of pain and treachery to bring the peace so many ponies took for granted. Ponies, she felt nothing but disgust towards.

With a grimace, she cast aside these distracting thoughts and continued her sword dance, letting out a satisfied grunt with each successful swing. The sound of hooves on grass got her attention. Dispelling her sword, Morning Star turned towards the intruder.

“Greetings,” she said, eyeing Fluttershy with little interest. “Can I help you?”

“Your Princess Morning Star, correct?”

Morning Star nodded.

“I need to have a word with you.”

The bold tone in Fluttershy’s voice both perplexed and shocked the ebon mare. Here she was, standing before a being of overwhelming power and the light yellow pegasus looked as calm as could be. As a reward for the wisdom she sacrificed for courage, she decided to humor her.

This should be amusing.

“Oh? And what pray tell could a lowly peasant have to say?”

Fluttershy flinched, but otherwise held her ground.

“First, just because you’re a princess, doesn’t mean you can talk down to me. Second, you need to apologize to Twilight for all of the hurtful things you said to her.”

“And why should I do that?” she asked, walking towards Fluttershy.

“Because its not right!”

Morning Star laughed coldly.

“Sorry to be the one to break it to you Shutterfly, but that’s how the world is.”

At this point Morning Star stopped just a couple of feet away from Fluttershy, using her overwhelming size and presence to show the vast gap in power between the two mares.

“If one wishes to obtain anything, be it an apple or prestige, it always comes at the expense of another who is weaker than you. The same is said for what is right or wrong. Those who have the power to dominate and make the necessary sacrifices can push the prospects of morality in any direction they choose. And than, when somepony of greater strength arises, they change the flow of thought. In the end, strength is what truly rules this world, while weakness is destroyed.”

Fluttershy locked eyes with her, not showing even a spark of fear. Instead, calm resolve shined inside her teal eyes as she stared her down.

“Your wrong.”

“Excuse me?” Morning Star blinked, a slight edge in her tone.

“Your wrong!”

Morning Star leaned back slightly at Fluttershy’s sudden change in volume.

“Prove it,” she said with a venomous smile.

“Gladly. Together, my friends and I have taken on multiple dangers to Equestria; all of them several times stronger than us and we all made it out without a scratch. Nightmare Moon, Discord, Queen Chrysalis, King Sombra, the Equalist Cult, Tearek, all of them would’ve destroyed us if we faced them alone, but together we were able to defeat them.”

Morning Star did accept that Fluttershy did have a point. Her friends did overcome some fierce opponents, but that wasn’t the end of her tirade.

“Though I will admit, the six of you have done some impressive deeds for First Princess Celestia, I can not say that those are valid points against my claims.”

“How so?”

“In all of your battles, you had the assistance of either a magical tool or another Alicorn. The only conflict that you and your friends eliminated by your own powers was when you confronted the Equalist Cult. And even that was a narrow victory.”

Suddenly, countless orange swords appeared around Fluttershy, all of their blades pointing directly at her.

“I on the other hoof,” Morning Star continued. “Could end you at any time with my own power, but do you know what stops me?”

Ignoring the weapons, Fluttershy shook her head.

“First Princess Celestia. It is because she is infinitely more powerful then I that I won’t strike you down. Do you see? Strength yet again rules the world.”

For a moment, the two mares stood in silence. Then a calm breeze washed over the open field as Fluttershy broke the silence.

“You’re wrong.”

Morning Star raised a brow.

“You won’t attack me because you know I’m right.”

Morning Star’s eye narrowed.

“Because at one point you saw how powerful friendship can be. How opening your heart to somepony can give you the power to do amazing things. Things you didn’t know you yourself were capable of doing. How even when you’re pushed into the darkest pit of despair and fear, somepony would lend you a hoof and pull you out into a brighter future. Something horrible happened to you, making you close your heart. So now you hide behind a shell of hatred and trap yourself in an illusion of what you think the world is. But ultimately, Miss Morning Star, the biggest reason why you wont attack me is because you’re afraid of me.”

“Afraid? Me? What dribble!” Morning Star snarled. “What about a lone pegasus born in a pampered life of peace could I possibly find intimidating?!”

At that moment, Fluttershy gave off an aura of serene grace that for a moment made her resemble an Alicorn herself.

“Because while I can continue to move forward and grow with my friends, you will always be the same. Cold, bitter, and afraid.”

“I AM STILL STRONGER THAN YOU!” Morning Star roared, her magic blades jerking closer to the light yellow pegasus.

Without showing a trace of fear, she looked the raging Alicorn goddess in the eye and said, “No Miss Morning Star. Compared to my friends and I, you are weak.”

Morning Star’s eye widened with fury before narrowing. Her lips curled into a shaky and cruel smile.

“Weak am I? interesting. How about we TEST THAT THEORY!”

With that, she slammed a hoof into the ground. The impact sending an earth trembling wave through the clearing and surrounding forest. Immediately, the swords she conjured flew to the outer perimeter of the clearing before planting themselves blade first into the ground. As soon as the last sword was planted, an orange cord of magic lashed out to their neighbors until they formed a circle around the two of them. From this circle, more energy surged up into the air and merged into an enormous orange barrier.

“Now,” Morning Star growled, her mad smile turned predatory. “Let’s see just how strong you really are!”

Author's Note:

this chapter will probably make more sense in the future...........:trollestia: