• Published 27th Aug 2015
  • 5,179 Views, 138 Comments

Castlevania: Moonlight Sonata - Stareyedwolf



When the son of Dracula awakens from his slumber in a new world, he tries to acclimate to the far more silly inhabitants of this new world than the last one he was in. With no Dracula to fight, what will he do now? More importantly, why is he awake?

  • ...
6
 138
 5,179

Tension on the Tracks

The train ride was smooth and he was told that it would be short, but it seemed to go on forever. The wheels clacked across the tracks and gave him all the time he didn't want to think about how thirsty he was. His throat burned and his eyes watered. He took a sip of the ice cold water in front of him. It soothed him, but it wasn't what he wanted. The small and colorful ponies were spread across the train. Twilight Sparkle was reading a book, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were bantering so loudly that he could hear them in the other car, Rarity had been sketching furiously while studying his own crude scrawls when he left her, Pinkie Pie was muttering about party arrangements and cake sizes, and Fluttershy had been studying him curiously.

Alucard sat in the dining car, and wondered when he would finally be able to indulge himself. As if she had sensed his thoughts, Fluttershy peeked her head through the door. She didn't come in any further, and seemed to be wrestling with what to do next. He turned toward her and stared at her patiently. This only seemed to make her more nervous.

Minutes passed, before the dhampir took the initiative. Any other time, he would have stubbornly stayed quiet until she worked up the nerve, but his mouth was a desert that scorched all the way into his empty stomach. “May I help you?”

Fluttershy gained some courage suddenly, and slowly walked up to his table. What Alucard didn't know was that she had remembered the Princess telling her that he needed help. Even if it was to hunt animals, the word ‘help’ rang out to her.

“U-Um… The Princess… told me…” She trailed off, lowering her head. Alucard resisted the urge to roll his eyes at her overly meek bearing.

“Would you like to sit down?” He waited until she took the spot across from him. “Now, I am not familiar with this land. If you could tell me the proper places to hunt, I would be most grateful.”

“O-Oh! Well… Ponies don't h-hunt, so I wouldn't really…” She visibly trembled under the weight of his stare. ‘His eyes are so cold…’ She thought feebly.

“Surely, there are predators living in this area?” He swallowed a few times, hoping to get some saliva down his throat, anything to clear the terrible burning. But he had none. He had slept for so long, the ages passing him by effortlessly. He had been running on empty for centuries, if not longer.

“Well, yes, but… They live in the E-Everfree… No pony goes in there. It's too dangerous…”

“Then that is where I shall go.” He looked out the window again, calmly taking a sip of water.

“You can’t! T-There’s manticores and… and timberwolves and cockatrices! Even hydras!” Fluttershy realized she was effectively yelling at him, looked at his annoyed face staring back at her, and shrank as low as she could into her chair. She cowered before him, hooves and mane in front of her face.

“I assure you, they are no threat to me. If it is my safety you are concerned about, then you have my thanks. But do not trouble yourself about it. However, if it is your safety that worries you, do not worry. I will not let them escape me.” His deep voice was rough with his hunger, barely more than a growl.

Fluttershy whimpered in her chair at the barely contained violence in his words and tone, not believing what she hearing. Was he actually planning on going after one of those deadly predators? She peeked out from behind her pink mane and spied him licking his lips. What she thought was anticipation of his kill was merely because of his chapped lips.

He was staring out the window, and saw a town on the other side. The train began to slow, so he quickly downed the rest of his water and stood up. “I believe we have reached our destination. Thank you for your insight.”

Fluttershy felt that the conversation had gotten away from her in no time flat. What she had been hoping to talk to him about was what was safe to eat, but had she inadvertently caused him to want to hunt fellow carnivores? Sure, they weren't quite sapient… So he was TECHNICALLY allowed to eat them…

Alucard pulled open the car door and ducked through it. Fluttershy followed him out, quietly trying to get his attention as they walked down to where the others were. He either didn't hear or was ignoring her altogether. The poor pegasus’s constitution was rapidly deteriorating and she began to sniffle.

‘Those poor animals… They probably only have a few foals a season and if he starts killing all the parents… No! I can't let that happen!’ She dove in front of him, making him stop abruptly. He stared down with a scowl.

“May I help you, Fluttershy?” He rumbled quietly at her. Like a storm in the distance, violence was distant but still a possibility.

“You can't eat those predators!” At her shout, her friends in the car who had been oblivious to them looked up in shock.

Alucard gazed down at her in silence. Her eyes were full of tears but fierce. He could sense magic coming from her gaze, compelling him to stand down. It enraged him. This frail little pony was trying to cast a spell on him!

“What do you think you are doing?” He asked, his tone louder than it had been the entire time he had been awake. His face was scrunched in anger, sharp teeth bared. He didn't have the patience or the presence of mind to realize what he was doing. All he knew was that he was hungry, his throat was on fire, this tiny creature was getting in the way of his relief by trying to cow him with her puny magic. The very thought offended him deeply.

Fluttershy weakened momentarily before she stared at him twice as hard.

“You think to use magic to bend me to your will? Very well. Let me show how it's done!” His eyes turned bloody red and glowing, and he loomed over her. Her eyes turned from angry to scared. His usually calm blue aura was turned as red as his eyes, and she could feel that that distant storm was now completely over her. Every pony in the car was transfixed and their coats stood on end. They could only watch as Alucard, the elegant Prince who had been cool as a cucumber and completely unmovable, hovered dangerously close to violence.

Her stare was broken, and the unshed tears fell from her eyes unbidden. She whimpered piteously, defeated in less than a second. Sensing the cutoff of magic, he instantly stopped his own. The storm had passed.

Everypony who had been consumed by his thrall was let go and yelling broke out. They all swarmed the now sobbing Fluttershy. Alucard took his leave in the chaos, walking out of the stopped train into the streets. Rainbow Dash was fixing to go after him, buzzing with energy and wanting vengeance.

“Wait! Let me talk to him!” Twilight Sparkle said to her friend, hoping to stall her. She ran out after the dhampir before Rainbow Dash could argue.

Twilight Sparkle saw him ahead of her, briskly walking through town. He didn't seem to care that everypony was staring at him in shock. She galloped full speed at him, and caught up a little too quickly. Her head smashed painfully into his legs.

“Ouch!” She rubbed her horn, looking up at him. He was frozen in the street. “Prince Alucard—“

“What?” He answered before she could finish. “If you come expecting an apology, then you are mistaken. I will not give one.” He turned around, looking at her with angry eyes. She gulped.

“Well… If you won't apologize, at least explain to me what that was all about!”

He paused for a moment. “Your friend tried to thrall me,” Alucard spat.

“Thrall? What is that?” Twilight watched him breathe deeply. ‘What the hay did Fluttershy do that caused this?’

“A thrall is a type of mind control. Has she ever stared at something or someone and they immediately bent to her?” Alucard was calming down slowly. Apparently, they had no concept of this type of mind control. He supposed if they had no idea, then it made sense that Fluttershy would show no etiquette. She probably used it all the time without realizing.

Twilight thought hard. In truth, she had seen Fluttershy do things like that with large and dangerous animals, but assumed it was because of her special talent with them. “Well… Yes.”

“She tried to do that to me, bend my will to her. Excuse me if I get a little offended at that. Not only is it dangerous to the person she is doing it to if she is unskilled, it is a cruel and cheap tactic to get your way when people disagree. Do you understand?”

Twilight understood perfectly. But still… “I get it, but you could have explained that to her instead of making her cry like that. She was probably just trying to help.”

Alucard’s expression clouded with disbelief. Was this pony trying to scold him? “Forgive me, I was distracted by her attempt to rape my mind. I will impart a saying that was common where I am from. ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ It means that the punishment is equal to the crime. She tried to thrall me, so I did the same to her.” He turned away from Twilight’s gaping mouth. “If you will excuse me, I require food.”

Twilight watched him walk away, toward the forest. She had a feeling that Fluttershy would be crushed when she learned what Alucard had told her: in that every time she had used the stare on an animal, she had been using mind control. No animal she had used it on became friendly of their own will. Fluttershy had imposed that onto them.

Twilight had also learned that Alucard was harsh in his judgements. His elegant and calm demeanor was hiding a terrible temper, waiting to lash out at those he was angered by. She stood by her earlier statement. If Alucard had just calmly explained instead of punishing Fluttershy, then her friend wouldn't be crying her eyes out.

The clop of many hooves filled her ears, signaling the arrival of her friends. Twilight Sparkle sighed, not thrilled that she would have to explain this debacle to not only her friends but also Princess Celestia. To think that this day had started so happy, only to end so terribly. And it wasn't even lunch time.

Author's Note:

EDIT: i may sprinkle some pictures that ive drawn into this, just for spice. they will be added out of order so if you reread a previous chapter down the road and there is one, THAS WHAT HAPPENED YO


Our resident bloodsucker doesn't pull punches, not even for Fluttershy. Usually in fics, the main characters are verrrry careful around her, but given hold cold Alucard is as a person, I'd figure he wouldn't care for hurt feelings.

Also, Alucard takes offense at small ponies trying to bully him into doing things their way, whether it be for a good reason or not.

I REALLY hope this didn't come off as forced or rushed. I had such a great time writing it! I hope people reading it have a great time, too. Let me know in the comments!