• Published 28th Aug 2015
  • 1,195 Views, 69 Comments

Dancing In The Shadows - Bluecatcinema



Echo and Sunset take a trip to investigate a troublemaking band of uniquely-powered ponies.

  • ...
4
 69
 1,195

Growing Shadows

Echo and Sunset settled into their new home as best they could. Sunset spent her days relaxing, as the foal grew ever bigger. At the same time, Echo continued training the Guards in their defensive dark magic usage. Things seemed quiet and peaceful, which was just how they liked it. Unfortunately, this turned out to be the calm before the storm...

One morning, Echo instructed his charges on the use of a new spell.

"Now then, this is known as the shockwave spell." Echo declared. "It creates a ripple of destructive force. In the wrong hooves, it can be a devastating weapon. But in the right hooves, it can be a force for good." Echo set up a plaster statue, intended to be used as a target. Who would like to try it first?"

"I would, sir." A bold new recruit by the name of Troy stepped forward. He was a young white-coated Unicorn with a yellow mane and green eyes.

"Good stallion." Echo smiled. "Now, all you have to do is focus. See the ripple in your mind's eye. Then use your magic to give it form."

"Okay, here goes..." Troy nodded. He screwed up his eyes in concentration. Slowly, his horn began to glow and pulsate, and wisps formed around his eyes.

"That's it." Echo nodded. "You're getting there. Now just let it out!"

Troy released the magical energy, creating a ripple of blackness that shattered the statue.

"I did it!" Troy yelled. "That was incredible!"

"Good work, Troy." Echo smiled.

"All that power..." Troy smirked. "I gotta try it again!"

"And you will." Echo nodded. "Just as soon as-"

Troy let off another ripple, damaging the wall of the castle.

"Okay, Troy, that's enough." Echo frowned.

"Enough?" Troy smirked, a mad gleam in his eyes. "I'm just getting started!"

Troy unleashed another ripple of dark magic, which tipped over a nearby produce cart.

"Hey!" The cart's owner yelled. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Troy, stop!" Echo yelled. "That spell is not a toy!"

"Then why am I having so much fun?" Troy sneered. He let off another ripple, causing some innocent bystanders to duck for cover. "Oh, yeah!"

"I won't tell you again, Troy." Echo said firmly. "Stop!"

"Why would I ever stop?" Troy cackled madly. "I've never felt power like this before. I won't give it up just like that!"

"Listen to him, Troy." One of the other Guards urged. "You don't want to do something you'll regret..."

"Butt out!" Troy unleashed a ripple that knocked the other Guards down.

"This can't be happening." Echo frowned. "I thought the spell was safe..."

Troy unleashed more ripples, creating more damage, and attracting attention from the citizens of the Crystal Empire.

"Look out!" A Crystal mare yelped.

"I knew it." A Crystal stallion growled. "Alchemy's training those Guards to attack us!"

"Mind your own business!" Troy fired a ripple towards the stallion.

"No!" Echo yelled. He unleashed his crystals. They formed a barrier in front of the stallion, holding steady against the ripple's force.

"Hey!" Troy snarled. "Who do you think you are, ruining my fun like that?"

"Your fun ends now." Echo growled. "If you won't stop of your own accord, then I'll make you stop."

"Bring it." Troy snarled.

Troy unleashed more ripples. Echo took flight, dodging them. He then unleashed a stream of crystals. They swarmed around Troy, trapping his legs and horn.

"Hey... let me go!" Troy yelled, his magic blocked. "Let me go!"

Using his crystals, Echo drew the dark magic essence from Troy, taking the madness along with it.

"What... what's going on?" Troy said weakly, as Echo released him. "What happened?" He looked around, taking in the destruction. "Did I...?"

"I'm sorry, Troy." Echo landed beside him. "I feared that the magic must have messed with your mind..."

"What?!" Troy murmured, "But... but I didn't mean to..."

"I know you didn't." Echo declared. "But I'm afraid you must answer for your actions."

"You mean like... I'm going to jail?" Troy gasped.

"Not exactly." Echo declared. "But until this blows over, perhaps you should be confined to your quarters for now. I dare say you won't be a very popular pony after today..."

"Okay." Troy sighed. "I guess it's the least I deserve, after..."

"Don't blame yourself." Echo told him. "It was my oversight that caused this, not you."

"I'll escort Troy back to the barracks." The lead Guard declared.

"Thank you." Echo nodded.

As Troy was led away, Echo saw the populace of the Crystal Empire glaring at him. Some were even muttering under their breath.

"That's what he's teaching them? How to destroy?"

"He's probably trying to gather an army of dark magic-using ponies..."

"Should've known he couldn't be trusted."

Echo turned away, trying not to let their words get to him.

That evening, Echo bemoaned those events to Sunset.

"I was sure that spell had no ill effects." He told her. "That shouldn't have happened..."

"You shouldn't blame yourself." Sunset consoled him. "Some ponies just let power go to their heads. And I should know..."

"The way all those ponies looked at me." Echo sighed. "I was finally making some leeway. I was starting to be accepted by them. And now, it's like I'm back to square one."

"It wasn't your fault." Sunset told him. "In time, they'll see that."

"I hope so..." Echo sighed, as Sunset held him.

The next day, Echo was summoned before Shining and Cadance.

"Echo." Shining said curtly. "Do you know why you're here?"

"I can hazard a guess." Echo frowned.

"We know what happened yesterday wasn't your fault." Cadance declared. "But the incident has attracted attention from the international senate...even more so than the last couple of incidents you had..."

"I was afraid of that...I'm guessing they are going to want another hearing about my 'project'?" Echo frowned.

"I fear that it's more serious than that, Echo." Shining decalred, "As it turns out, there has been constant reports of Nightcrawler activity as of late."

"More Nightcrawlers?" Echo mused.

"That's right." Cadance nodded. "The senate are holding a committee to decide what to do about it."

"They are requesting that the three of us attend." Shining announced.

"I understand." Echo sighed.

That evening, Echo relayed the information to Sunset.

"I can't believe there are so many Nightcrawlers all of a sudden." Sunset declared.

"Not quite all of a sudden, my love." Echo corrected her. "They've always been out there. But for some reason, they're more... active as of late."

"I just hope you can convince the committee not to do anything too rash." Sunset sighed.

"As do I." Echo sighed. "As it stands, our little foal will most surely be born a Nightcrawler. I won't let some paranoid fools ruin his future."

"That's my noble stallion." Sunset kissed him. "Good luck."

A couple of days later, Shining, Cadance and Echo travelled to Canterlot, where the committee meeting was being held. Delegates from all over were in attendance, such as Baron Broadbeak of Aerovis, Prime Minister Head Strong of Minostan, and Chancellor Cloven of Fetland. Even Princess Celestia was in attendance. But the most surprising members were ambassadors Hans and Olga Hubris, parents of Stolz Hubris, the stallion who had fallen under the sway of the Pride spell in King Sombra's book and met his demise because of it.

"Well, well." Hans glared at Echo. "Look who it is."

"I can't say I'm surprised to see you here." Olga added. "Messing with dark magic killed our son. It was only a matter of time before it exposed you as the trouble maker you are."

"Ambassadors, I am truly sorry for the loss of your son." Echo declared. "But he was corrupted by the magic of Sombra himself. You can't lump me in with that despot."

"Can't we?" Hans sneered. "Your little pet project caused quite a scene. And now the whole world will see you for what you really are."

"That's what I'm counting on." Echo retorted.

With that, the Hubris' left to take their seats.

"This is it." Shining declared.

"Good luck, Echo." Cadance smiled.

The delegates filed into the committee room, all taking their seats. Echo stood before them in the front. The proceedings were headed by Senator Malus, a gray-coated, red-maned, teal-eyed Unicorn stallion from Eurodeo. He was well-known for his determined, unflinching nature (reflected in his Cutie Mark, which was of a solid brick wall). Echo was well aware that he was in for a tough battle, even more so than before....

"Echo Alchemy, you are stood here before this committee because your actions led to a serious amount of damage to the Crystal Empire, and the endangerment of its citizens... once again..." Malus declared the last part with irritation, "These incidents seem to be happening with unsettling regularity..."

"With all due respect senator, my actions were meant to help keep the Empire safe." Echo declared. "True, the spell I was intending to teach proved a little... overwhelming, but it does not necessitate such recourse."

"Is that so?" Malus asked.

"Yes, it is." Echo declared. "We all make mistakes. It's better to move forward than to dwell on them."

"Really?" Malus challenged. "Is that how you see the past incidents in which we had discussed before? Your goal of teaching dark magic to guards has born... unsavory consequences. Need I remind you of the fire one of your students started?"

"In fairness, the hellfire spell is tricky to get a grasp on..." Echo frowned.

"Or when that other spell turned an entire street of houses upside down..." Malus continued.

"It was only a levitation spell." Echo declared. "It's hardly my fault one of my charges accidentally reversed the houses' position before they fell..."

"Or perhaps I could mention the time when that 'contortion' spell of yours almost snapped the poor Guard using in two." Malus spat.

"Now, that one was an accident, and the stallion wasn't hurt..." Echo cringed, "Much."

"But this further drives the point that Project Synchro is not only dangerous but completely unstable... not to mention that it is named after your terrorist of a brother..."

"You leave Synchro out of this!" Echo snarled, slamming his hoof into his desk. His outburst prompted disapproving murmurs from the crowd. "In spite of all he did, he was still my brother! And I really appreciate it if you would not drag him into this!"

"He dragged our son into this... when he killed him." Hans scowled.

"And let's not forget the trouble he caused on Minostan..." Head Strong added. "That brother of yours seemed to spread destruction wherever he went..."

Echo clenched his hooves, his crystals flowing more quickly under his suit.

"Are you alright, Mr Alchemy?" Malus asked condescendingly. "You seem rather upset."

"Of course I am upset." Echo growled. "I had apologized for all those incidents, and I had made reprimands and taken precaution to try and prevent them, yet here I am again, being badgered by bureaucratic buffons for another incident."

"Mind your words, Mr Alchemy." Malus glared. "You're already on thin ice around here."

"I'm sorry, senator, but I refuse to apologize when I had apologized enough. I had been summoned here so often, yet all the complaints I heard remain the same: 'Your research only causes trouble'. 'Dark magic is too dangerous to just teach to others'. 'You shouldn't be spreading this radical way of thinking around'. I grow tired of being brought here to be questioned every time something goes wrong. My story remains the same: I will do my best to try and make sure that it doesn't happen again. It doesn't make using dark magic a bad idea."

Several of the senators muttered their disapproval, rather peeved by his remarks.

"Well, that's where we beg to differ." Malus growled. "After all, dark magic has threatened the Crystal Empire time and again. And many other places in the world. And with yet another folly thanks to your project, we, the senate, believe the sensible thing to do would be to avoid all contact with it. For good, this time."

"Sensible, or fearful?" Echo shot back. "Dark magic can be a force for good. I should know. I've used it that way myself many times. Besides, as a Nightcrawler, I can no more avoid contact with dark magic than avoid contact with my own wings. It is in my blood."

"Which brings us to the most important part of this committee." Malus scowled. "After the incident with the 'terrorist', our eyes had been opened to a completely new threat, these 'Nightcrawlers'. They live among us, possessing unique, dangerous powers which we have no defense against. Left unchecked, they could pose a very serious problem."

"With all due respect, you're overreacting." Echo sneered.

"I find myself in agreement with Mr Alchemy." Princess Celestia declared. "One incident does not constitute a 'serious problem'."

"My thoughts exactly." Cloven nodded. "Need I remind you that the pony population in some countries isn't nearly as high as in others? The chances of a Nightcrawler popping up amongst them is low, to say the least."

"But still possible." Olga pointed out.

The delegates muttered amongst each other, debating the issue.

"Order, please." Malus declared.

"I stand by my point." Echo declared. "You're blowing this all out of proportion."

"What if there's a Nightcrawler out there who can... let's say walk through walls?" Malus asked. "What's to stop that Nightcrawler from robbing a bank?"

"The same thing stopping a pony with a crossbow from holding the place up." Echo retorted. "Namely, personal morality."

"But crossbows can be removed from the wielder." Olga pointed out. "It's not that easy to disarm a genetic ability. A Nightcrawler like the one my husband described could walk into our most secure government facility and take whatever they wanted. Surely you can understand why we're so worried?"

"Yes, I can." Echo nodded. "But your worries are groundless. Nightcrawlers who have their gene activated are rare and few inbetween, and their powers are entirely random. I highly doubt whether there is one who can walk through walls."

"But there are Nightcrawlers out there." Malus declared. "And we're receiving reports of their numbers steadily growing. These are potentially dangerous ponies, with unknown powers. It is for those reasons and more that I propose we put forth a Nightcrawler Registration Act, so that these ponies can be identified, their powers recorded, and their activities monitored."

"You can't be serious." Echo scowled.

"I'm dead serious, professor Alchemy." Malus scowled right back.

"Don't you think that's a little extreme?" Shining asked. "I've had some troubles with Nightcrawlers myself, but they were isolated incidents. We can't hold an entire species responsible for the actions of a select few."

"In an ideal world, we wouldn't." Malus declared. "But the painful fact is that some of these 'select few' possess power great enough to destroy entire cities... as you yourself can attest, after that Nightcrawler attack on the Crystal Empire."

"And what of those who refuse to be registered?" Cadance asked.

"If they will not register themselves, they will considered criminals, and highly dangerous." Malus spat. "They will, of course, have to be reprimanded."

A number of the delegates murmured among themselves, clearly not happy with that.

"So they are to be considered enemies of the state, simply because of some genetic quirk?" Celestia stepped up. "That is not justice, Senator Malus. That is persecution."

The crowd lapsed into frenzied muttering. Celestia held much sway over the senate, and Malus knew it.

"Your highness, I'm simply thinking about the safety of all us." Malus declared, trying to regain control.

"And you would ensure that safety by crushing the freedoms of a select group?" Celestia asked. "The Nightcrawlers have been living amongst us for some time, have they not?"

"Well, yes." Malus nodded.

"And in all that time, how many incidents have gone on record?" Celestia urged.

"We have no official log..." Malus muttered. "Though we have knowledge of three or four major incidents in the last five years."

"Precisely." Celestia smiled. "If there were three or four major incidents in the last year, I would say that was cause for concern. But isolated incidents do not call for such drastic measures. Whatever their powers, Nightcrawlers are still ponies. And in trying to control those who use their powers for evil, you may end up oppressing those who only wish to live in peace, or better still, use their powers for good. I urge the delegates gathered here today to reconsider this course of action."

More frenzied muttering followed as Celestia sat down. Celestia looked at Echo, sharing a triumphant smile.

"The, ah, committee will now vote on the matter." Malus declared, clearly flustered. "All those in favour of instituting the Nightcrawler Registration Act?"

A number of hooves, claws and talons rose up. It was clearly less than half the delegates.

"...Opposed?" Malus scowled.

A sea of appendages rose up.

"The motion is defeated." Malus snarled in defeat.

Echo grinned in victory.

"This is ridiculous!" Hans yelled.

"We're just going to let those monsters roam free?" Olga added.

"What part of 'defeated' didn't you understand, ambassadors?" Celestia asked. "Now please, calm down. You're making a scene."

The couple sat back down petulantly.

"The committee will reconvene in one week's time." Malus declared.

As they exited the senate building, Echo still couldn't believe their good luck.

"I'll admit, I was a little worried back there." Echo announced. "I really thought they were going to pass that ridiculous Act."

"Not as long as we have Celestia in our corner." Cadance smirked.

"If only it were that simple." Shining frowned.

"Cheer up, Shiny." Cadance urged. "We won."

"Today, yes." Shining nodded. "But the fear and paranoia of Nightcrawers is growing. Another incident could tip the balance against us. It won't be long before Malus and his bunch actually succeed."

"I hope you're wrong, your highness." Echo declared. "I really do."

"So do I." Shining admitted.

A couple of nights later, Malus was sat in his office at the senate building, still fuming over his loss. However, he wasn't as upset as the ponies he was speaking to over the phone.

"Yes, I know." He said irritably. "I'm sorry things didn't go as planned. ...No, I did not foul things up! I had things well in hoof before that blasted Princess turned the tide! ...Trust me, this is just a bump in the road. Things will be better next time...

Outside the office, a number of security guards were watching the halls. On the east side, the guard saw a pony in a black overcoat trying to walk by, with a hood over his face.

"Excuse me, sir." He stopped the pony. "Are you lost?"

As the pony looked at him, the face hidden, the guard saw the glint of metal under his coat. The guard became wary of the stranger. He pulled out his crossbow, pointing it at him.

"Okay, just back off..." He ordered.

However, the pony paid no heed as with a swing of his hoof, the guard was sent flying into a nearby wall. The guard let out a weak groan as the hooded pony darted into a sprint.

"Perimeter breach... ack... at security checkpoint." The guard spoke into his communicator, gripping his sore body.

Another guard raced onto the scene, crossbow drawn.

"Stop, or I'll shoot!" He yelled.

The stranger tilted his head mockingly. Suddenly, a plume of fire erupted from under his hood

"GAH!" The second guard screamed as he ducked under the fire.

This gave the pony enough time to quickly shove him hard into the wall, so hard in fact that it made an indent.

"Be advised, the hostile is packing heat!" The second guard groaned, as he then added. "LITERALLY!"

The other guards rushed to Malus' office.

"Sir, we have a hostile attacking the senate!" One declared.

"What?!" Malus gaped. He then said to the ponies on the line. "I'm gonna have to call you back." He quickly hung up, as he glared at the guard, "What is this about a hostile?!"

"Some unknown pony." The guard declared. "The others are saying he can... breathe fire."

"Seriously?" Malus frowned.

Outside, the intruder charged into a squad of guards. The guards fired their crossbows, but the bolts harmlessly bounced off him. One of the guards threw a punch, but caught it with a set of razor-sharp claws. With one swift twist, he broke the guard's leg.

"Ahhh!" The guard yelped, falling to the floor.

The Unicorn guards blasted him with magic, which had little more effect than the bolts. The intruder unleashed another plume of flame, scorching them.

Four guards leapt on him at once, trying to pin him down, but he threw them off him. One of the guards tried to grab him, only to pull off his coat.

The guards gaped in horror as the coat was pulled off. The overcoat wasn't the only form of clothing the pony donned, as he was clad in a odd looking armor of silver and blue. The helmet glinted in the light, the pony's cold eyes glaring at the guards. The intruder possessed a pair of leathery wings, similar to a Thestral's, yet larger, more robust. The wings spread out, free from the coat's confines.

"Oh, lord..." A guard murmured, "Not you... anypony but you..."

"You shouldn't have done that..." The pony whispered in a raspy voice, his wisps of his eyes visible from his otherwise hidden face. "Now I have to kill you."

Instantly, the intruder darted up to one, and touched the guard with his claw. The guard let out a gurgle, as around where the pony was touching him, black cracks began to form, and the guard becoming pale. The said guard tried to pull the claw away, but it wasn't long before all his energy was gone, and he grew limp.

"Oh, Lauren Faust!" Another guard screamed in horror.

The intruder pulled his claw away as the guard collapsed, dead.

"You... you killed him..." A guard whimpered.

"You son of a-" Another guard, angry at his comrade's death, roared as he began firing magical blasts.

The guards charged, but the intruder took the first wave down with one blow, his claws slicing deeply into their bodies. One was practically disemboweled, while another had his throat slit. As he grew tired of the conflict, the armored pony resorted to simply knocking the remaining guards away, his uncanny strength sending them flying.

As Malus stayed in his office, flanked by his guards, they heard the battle going on outside. They heard the sounds of beams blasting and crossbows firing and sounds of metal claws punching other ponies, as well as the screams of pain from their comrades. As the noise petered out, they pointed their crossbows at the door. For a few moments, nothing happened. Then the door was smashed open.

In the same instant the crossbows for fired, the stallion spread his dragon-like wings, as he charged at the nearby guard, sucker punching out a nearby window. The other guards attacked him together. Moving like lightning, the intruder kicked one, breaking his neck instantly. As another tried to get from from behind, he turned and impaled him with his claws. Before that guard could drop, the intruder took to the air to avoid two more, then breathing fire down upon them, incinerating their bodies. He dived down into another pair of guards, crushing their skulls in his claws. He then slashed another two as they charged him. A Unicorn guard jumped on his back, but he bucked him off with enough force to send him flying across the room.

One more guard stood between the intruder and Malus.

"Come on." The guard scowled, waving his crossbow. "Give it your best shot!"

"Gladly." The intruder sneered.

The guard fired his crossbow, but he may as well have been doing it in slow motion. The intruder easily sidestepped the bolt. The guard tried using the crossbow as a club, but the intruder sliced apart with a flick of his claws. Stubbornly refusing to give up, the guard threw a punch. The inturder grabbed his hoof, and used it to pull him closer. He then placed a claw on his forehead.

"No..." The guard croaked, as black cracks formed around his head.

"You said to give it my 'best shot'." The intruder chuckled, as the guard collapsed.

And just like that, the guards were all down. It was just Malus and the attacker.

"I don't know what you think you're doing here..." Malus trembled.

"Don't you?" The intruder asked.

"Wait..." Malus gazed at the intruder. He froze with fear as recognition flooded into him. "Y-you're..."

"Yes, I am." The intruder nodded.

Malus tried to flee, but the intruder tackled him, pinning him against his desk. Malus struggled but the pony's weight was enough to keep him pinned with 'one' claw. The intruder's other claw was beginning to glow.

"Your time is up, senator..." The pony taunted, as he readied his touch of death...

The Unicorn guard, having not been injured too greatly by being bucked across the room, got to his hooves and fired a blast of magic at the intruder. The blast penetrated the gap between the helmet and the suit, striking the intruder in the neck.

"Gaaah!" The intruder yelled in pain, as he fell through the office window.

The guard went to inspect the spot where the stallion fell, but he was gone.

"Are you alright, sir?" He asked.

"I'm fine, thanks to you." Malus frowned. "But this... this is the last straw."

"Sir?" The guard asked.

"Did you see who that was?" Malus asked. "Our mysterious intruder was a Nightcrawler, and a very bad one at that. This was obviously an assassination attempt. He and those foul creature knew what I was trying to do, so they tried to silence me! Well, too bad for them, their scheme failed. Once everypony finds out about this, the Nightcrawler Registration Act is as good as passed, and those monsters will finally be put in their place. They'll all see that I was right! That Nightcrawlers are a danger to us! Even Celestia won't be able to deny it once she hears about this..."