• Published 28th Aug 2015
  • 1,195 Views, 69 Comments

Dancing In The Shadows - Bluecatcinema



Echo and Sunset take a trip to investigate a troublemaking band of uniquely-powered ponies.

  • ...
4
 69
 1,195

A New Journey

The morning after the attempt on Malus' life, Echo was shocked to see the headline of the day's paper:

"Nightcrawler Assassination Attempt!

Senator barely survives unprovoked attack"

"What the-?!" Echo gasped. "'Late last night, Senator Malus was attacked by a Nightcrawler, believed to be the Great Gray Wolf, the leader of a terrorist group of Nightcrawlers. The Nightcrawler slaughtered several of the Senator's guards, and would have killed the Senator if not for the efforts of Pierce Point, veteran security officer'."

"This isn't good." Sunset frowned. "From what you've told me, Malus already had a grudge against Nightcrawlers. This assassination attempt can't have helped his opinion of them any."

"There's more." Echo said grimly. "'When questioned, the shaken Senator provided this statement: The attempt on my life is solid proof that we need the Nightcrawler Registration Act. Once we have identified all of these mistakes of nature, we can monitor their movements, thus ensuring acts such as the attempt on my life never happen again. Some bleeding hearts out there may call it oppression, but the Act will ultimately be for the good of all ponies. These creatures must be reined in, for the sake of every normal pony out there. Otherwise, more attacks of this nature could arise, and their next target might not be so lucky'."

"Unbelievable." Sunset scowled. "He's talking like all Nightcrawlers are monsters."

"Shining was right." Echo sighed. "He told me after the committee that it was only a matter of time before that ridiculous Registration Act got its second wind. That it would only take one more incident for ponies' fear and paranoia to take hold of them."

"Well, I for one, don't want to live in a world where my foal is treated like a criminal simply because of what he is." Sunset declared.

"Neither do I." Echo agreed. "We can only hope saner minds prevail."

"I know Celestia will do her best to keep that Act out of Equestria." Sunset smiled.

"As will Shining and Cadance." Echo nodded. "It helps to have friends in high places."

"Level-headed friends, especially." Sunset noted. "Still, what if it isn't enough? What if our foal has to grow up under that barbaric law?"

"I promise, Sunset." Echo said firmly. "I will not allow any harm to befall our foal. If those paranoid fools want to register our child, they'll have to go through me."

"Ooh, have I mentioned how much I love it when you get all gallant?" Sunset nuzzled him.

"Not recently." Echo chuckled.

"Well, I do." Sunset kissed him.

"It's easy to be gallant when you have so much to protect." Echo kissed her back. "And I will protect you. You have my word."

Just then, there was a knock at the door. Echo answered it to find a Crystal Guard standing before him.

"Mr Alchemy, Prince Shining Armor and Princess Cadance request the presence of yourself and your wife at the castle immediately." The Guard announced.

"I see." Echo shared a look with Sunset. "We'll be right with you."

"This can't be good..." Sunset frowned.

"Indubitably, my love..." Echo agreed.

Before long, Echo and Sunset were standing before Shining and Cadance in the throne room.

"Not to sound like a broken record, but I think I can hazard a guess as to why we were summoned." Echo declared.

"If it involves the attempt made on Senator Malus' life, then you're right." Shining said grimly. "The attack has seriously angered his constituents, who are calling harder than ever for the Nightcrawler Registration Act to be made law. "

"I wish I could say I was surprised." Sunset sighed.

"Just who is this 'Great Gray Wolf' fellow, anyway?" Echo asked.

"According to sketchy reports, he is an extremely dangerous assassin, allied to a group of Nightcrawler terrorists known as the 'Shadow Stalkers'." Cadance answered.

"Shadow Stalkers?" Sunset asked.

"A rogue group of Nightcrawlers who have been causing trouble down south lately." Shining replied. "They've been known to attack small towns out in the country. They assault those whom they believe are against them, all under the command of a the Great Gray Wolf himself, who has convinced his followers that he will lead all Nightcrawlers to prosperity, via crushing the normal ponies who persecute them. At least, that's what the rumors say. Details are thin on the ground. All we have to go on is this video..."

Shining inserted the video into the player, and security footage of the attack on Malus' office played.

"By Celestia..." Echo gasped. "Such savagery."

"Are those... wings and claws?" Sunset gaped. "And is he breathing fire?"

"Indeed he is." Shining nodded.

"I've never seen such callousness." Echo frowned. "He killed them all?"

"Most of them." Cadance grimaced. "One lucky guard survived."

They reached the part of the attack where the Great Gray Wolf used his "touch of death."

"Wait, what was that?" Sunset frowned, as the guard crumpled. "He barely touched him."

"That is the Great Gray's deadliest weapon." Shining declared. "It reportedly allows him to drain the life force out of others, killing them slowly and painfully."

"Inconceivable." Echo grimaced. "I never imagined such a terrible power could exist..."

They watched until the end of the encounter, when the Great Gray was blasted out of the window.

"Why would he do something like that?" Echo frowned. "To massacre so many, just to get to Malus..."

"He must believe that Malus is too much of a threat to the Nightcrawlers to be allowed to remain alive." Cadance mused. "I can understand why he'd think that way..."

"But still..." Echo frowned. "Surely he'd realise that such an act would only make things worse for his kind... Killing Malus would create a martyr, and push anti-Nightcrawler sentiment to new highs. Why would he risk such a thing?"

"It doesn't matter why this pony is doing this, what matters is the fallout of his actions." Shining declared.

"The public will start to resent Nightcrawlers even more for this." Cadance declared. "For all we know, this could be the start of ponies falsely accusing other ponies of being Nightcrawlers, lynch mobs, unfair trials... everything will just go to Tartarus. Until the Great Gray Wolf and his organization is stopped, I fear the paranoia will only grow."

"But how can they be stopped?" Echo asked. "We don't even know where they are."

Sunset suddenly hit upon an idea. It wasn't one Echo would be happy with, so she decided not to tell him.

"Echo, do you mind if I go now?" She asked. "I forgot I was supposed to meet up with a friend across town."

"Of course not." Echo smiled. "Their highnesses and I will continue discussing matters. I'll meet you back at the house."

"Great." Sunset smiled, kissing him on the cheek. "See you later."

As Sunset exited the throne, she turned, not in the direction of the outside, but towards the inner corridors of the castle.

Shortly afterward, Sunset descended into the dungeons, accompanied by a guard. Sunset knew that what she was doing was wrong. If her husband was to figure out, he would be furious. But whether it was the hormones, the looming threat of the Registration Act, or these Shadow Stalkers she heard about, there was only one pony she could talk to.

As Sunset walked by the cells, she passed by the sleeping Lunard Cloudskipper. Beside him was Silas Nekross

"Well, well." Silas sneered. "If it isn't the batpony's mistress."

"Zip it, Silas." Sunset scowled. "It's not you I've come to talk with."

"Oh, of course." Silas smirked. "You're here to talk to that arrogant buffoon again."

"That's Mr Arrogant Buffoon to you, pal." Sterling called from his own cell.

"Sterling." Sunset turned to see him.

Unbeknownst to Echo, Sunset had been visiting Sterling semi-regularly over the last couple of months. Though he had been manipulating her and Echo for months, she still felt a kinship with him. The betrayal had stung her, as it did with Echo, but she didn't think he was beyond forgiveness as her husband did. She had a feeling, a belief that she couldn't explain. Deep down, she know that Sterling wasn't the pony everypony else thought he was, that was still some good in him, beneath all the lies and manipulation. Which was why she had come to see him so often. But on this occasion, she had come for another reason.

"Well, this is a pleasant surprise." Sterling smiled. "Long time, no see, Sunset."

"Hello, Sterling." Sunset greeted softly, if not awkwardly, "...How are you holding up? I know it's been a while..."

"Well, I can't complain. I am in prison after all." Sterling shrugged. "But how about you? I hadn't heard anything about you since Echo last came by...I'm guessing he's still not talking to me?"

"Afraid not." Sunset shook her head. "The incident with Black Thorn has left a rather bad taste in Echo's mouth."

"Well, I'm just glad that you two are okay." Sterling sighed. Sunset glanced at him. "Yes, i know that's rather pathetic coming from me."

"A little, maybe." Sunset admitted. "But I appreciate your sentiments."

"So...how's the foal?" Sterling eyed her stomach. "He's growing big."

"He's doing fine." Sunset smiled. "I even though I felt his little wings flapping yesterday. I think he'll be quite a troublesome one."

"Knowing his father, I wouldn't put it past him." Sterling chuckled.

However, after that chuckle, things went silent between the two. This was an often recurrence whenever they spoke. Being together brought back all sorts of memories, both pleasant and vile. Their brief romantic entanglement, for example, and the moment when Sterling revealed his true nature. Such things were difficult to overcome.

"So... does Echo still have no idea of our little chats?" Sterling asked.

"What do you think?" Sunset frowned.

"I thought so." Sterling sighed, "I am not sure why you continue to come here every so often. I told you that I have no intentions of divulging information about the organization. And surely you can find better company than me and this buckhole right behind you."

"Hey." Silas snarled. "Buck you."

"Look Sterling, I still hate you for what you did and what you tried to do." Sunset admitted. "The pain of your betrayal still cuts deep. But unlike Echo, I believe the stallion she came to know and care about is still in there. Yes, you did betray them, but I like to think some ponies still deserve somepony who still care about them."

"What about me?" Silas asked sarcastically.

"You're not one of them, you second-rate schemer." Sunset spat.

"Why, you smug little harlot!" Silas growled.

"Quiet, you!" The Guard slammed his spear against the bars of his cell, silencing him.

"So... what brings you down here, Sunset?" Sterling asked, his voice growing serious, "Because I doubt you are just here to catch up on old times and give pep talks..."

"Right..." Sunset sighed. "There was an attempt on the life of Senator Malus."

"I heard about that." Sterling smirked. "The Guards were chatting about it earlier. So some suit is trying to get Nightcrawlers branded like cows for slaughter, right?"

"That is correct." Sunset nodded, "They say that the one who tried to kill the senator was one known as the 'Great Gray Wolf'. The head of some Nightcrawler terrorist faction called the 'Shadow Stalkers'. I came here, hoping that you might have something to say."

"Hmm, the names do ring a bell." Sterling mused, putting a hoof to his chin, "The Shadow Stalkers as a whole, I know little about. But the Great Gray... I heard that he is a twisted, merciless and demented psychopath. Rumors has it that he actually has the power to kill a pony by just touching them."

"Yes, I actually saw it happen." Sunset murmured, not liking Sterling's description. "Is there anything else you can tell me about him?

"Not necessarily." Sterling admitted. "To be quite honest, I'm surprised that the guy failed to kill this senator. He squashed his detail like bugs."

"Do you think he'll try again?" Sunset asked.

"Who can say?" Sterling shrugged. "I didn't think he'd try the first time."

"Do you know where we can find him?" Sunset asked.

"I'm afraid I can't say." Sterling declared.

"Can't, or won't?" Sunset frowned. "You're supposed to be an expert on Nightcrawlers, aren't you?"

"Expert, yes, but it's not like I keep tabs on every Nightcrawler I heard of." Sterling grunted, "For Faust's sake, Sunset, I've been trapped in this cell, next to a child-abusing thug, and that Sombra-wannabe-"

"Will you just shut up?!" Silas snarled.

"You shut up!" The guard banged the bars with his spear.

"I'm sorry, Sunset." Sterling sighed, "But given my current situation, I can't help you with anything. If I knew something, I'd tell you... trust me, I would..."

"I want to trust you." Sunset admitted with a sad frown. "...But I can't..."

"Sunset..." Sterling murmured.

"I should go." Sunset sighed, wiping her eyes of any possible tears as she turned to leave, "Echo will start wondering where I went...thank you for trying..."

"Sunset." Sterling repeated himself, though a bit harsher. "Please... I know I wronged you and Echo and probably a whole lot of other ponies... but I am still your friend. Out of all the lies I had told, what you and me had wasn't one of them. You gotta believe that."

"Sterling. You have no idea how much I want to believe it..." Sunset sighed. "But as of now... I don't know..." She then turned back to face Sterling. "Honestly, Sterling... why would you choose 'them' over us?"

"I don't take pride in what I did." Sterling admitted, "I hated lying to the both of you...and I really didn't want to kill Echo...but the ponies I work for..." He let out a small hiss. "Let's just say... if I didn't do it, somepony else would. The last thing I want is something bad to happen to you, Echo, or the foal, I swear..."

"I understand." Sunset sighed. "I don't have to like it, but I understand..."

Sunset turned to leave, then turned back.

"I won't give up on you, Sterling." She declared. "I know there's more to you than what Echo thinks. But you need to do some hard thinking of your own if there's ever going to be any trust or respect between us." She turned to the guard. "Let's go."

"Of course, madam." The guard nodded.

Sunset and her escort exited the dungeon.

"...It was nice seeing you again." Sterling sighed, as he laid back on his bed. As with his talk with Echo from a while back, he felt tears building up in his eyes, as he struggled to keep them in.

"This is why I don't date any more." Silas sneered. "Mares these days are always on your back about changing yourself.

However, a voice from the shadows suddenly echoed.

"Boy, I thought that chick would never leave. You really have a way with the mares, don't ya, Sterling?"

"What?" Sterling looked around. "Who's there?!"

"Yeah, who the heck said that?!" Silas glanced around as well.

"Why, me, of course..."

From the shadows came a gaunt stallion with a gray coat, white, straggly mane that was balding, yellow tinged glasses. His teeth was adorned with adult braces, and was wearing a fancy leather jacket with a red collared shirt, and the name 'Scalp' tattooed on his right hoof, and a Cutie Mark of a bloodied tomahawk emerged from out of the shadows.

"...Scalphunter? Is that you?" Sterling gaped.

"Scalphunter? You mean as in 'the noseplugger' Scalphunter?" Silas gasped. "The tonsil remover? The ear-slicer?"

"The one and only." Scalphunter grinned, his voice carrying a southwestern drawl. "How's it been hanging, pal?"

"Oh, boy..." Sterling mumured, still shocked to see him. "It's been a while, Scalp. We hadn't seen each other since-"

"That little fracas over in Trottingham." Scalphunter nodded. "I gotta say, when the Forefathers told me you were locked up, I had hoped that they meant you were getting some tail with some girl who was into Fifty Shades of Hay."

"Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but yes, I am serving time." Sterling admitted, "How about you? I hope business hadn't been too bad."

"Can't complain." Scalphunter shrugged, "I just got a hefty bonus from the Forefathers to go on this errand for them."

"Errand?" Sterling asked, "What kind of errand?"

"Oh, something about the 'Great Gray Wolf' and a bunch of 'Shadow Stalkers'." Scalphunter shrugged. "A whole bunch of Nightcrawlers, they say."

"Great Gray Wolf?" Sterling frowned, immediately remembering Sunset's discussion.

"That's right." Scalphunter chuckled. "Remember when you were trying to pick out the right Nightcrawler to carry that supersoldier foal? I wanted you to pick him, but you said, and I quote. 'He's too unpredictable, and besides, the way he is, he'd probably eat the foal'."

"First off, I still stand by that." Sterling grunted, "And secondly, what are you doing here? It's not like you to make pit stops when on the clock."

"What? Can't I visit an old friend?" Scalphunter mock pouted.

Sterling simply glared at him.

"Oh, fine, you got me." Scalphunter shook his head. "The big guys wanted me to check in on you in pony to see if you are doing alright...and that you hadn't said anything to Echo or to preggo a few minutes ago."

"I didn't." Sterling growled, "And I am not appreciating the lack of faith they have in me. I've given them no reason to not trust me."

"Hey, I didn't say anything." Scalphunter held up his hooves in defense, "But rumors has it that you've been showing great interest in these two ponies from your somewhat failed project. So much in fact that they think you are actually buying into your own lies."

"Well, those rumors are false!" Sterling snarled, "I haven't said a word about us to them ever since I got locked up! It's the only way that they would be... would be..."

Sterling trailed off, looking away in shame.

"Attaboy, Sterling." Scalphunter sneered. "Keeping the little mare and her dark magic toting hubby out of harm's way by keeping your mouth shut. So noble of you... could it be you still have feelings for Sunset?"

"That's none of your business, Scalphunter." Sterling spat.

"My, so touchy." Scalphunter clicked his tongue. "You know, I also came here, hoping to bust you out. So we can go hunting for them together. Surely, the Forefathers wouldn't care about your loyalty if they just had you back, y'know."

"I appreciate the offer, but no thanks." Sterling scoffed. "I'll leave when I'm ready to leave. Just tell the Forefathers that my loyalty has always been to them! I just don't want Echo and Sunset involved in any more of their schemes, is that clear?!"

"Crystal." Scalphunter nodded. "However... that last part might be a little hard for me to fulfill."

"...What do you mean?" Sterling glared.

"Well, after stopping here, I'm going to meet with some very important ponies for debriefing on finding those Shadow Stalkers and the Great Gray Wolf, and chances are..." Scalphunter gave a snide grin. "I might be crossing paths with them very soon."

"No!" Sterling spat. "You leave them alone!"

"Hey, I'm getting paid a crap ton of bits for this mission." Scalphunter scoffed. "I can't promise that your friends won't get involved in this, nor will I hold back. My clients are promised efficiency and professionalism."

"I swear to Faust, if you hurt any of them..." Sterling growled.

"You'll what?" Scalphunter smirked. "It's not like you can do anything to stop me. Don't worry, though. I'll tell your friends you said 'hi'."

"I'll bet you will." Sterling scowled in defeat. "It's just the sort of twisted thing you'd do."

"Oh, I almost forgot." Scalphunter tossed Sterling a magic mirror. "A little something to help you contact our colleagues. Don't let the Guards see it, though."

"I won't." Sterling frowned, still angry.

"Catch ya later, buddy." Scalphunter slid back into the shadows.

"That's some friend you've got there." Silas snorted.

"'Friend' would be stretching it." Sterling declared.

Suddenly, Lunard bolted awake.

"Did I miss anything?" He asked.

Some time later, Sunset returned to the estate. Echo was in the drawing room, looking over the footage of the attack, hoping to find something that could prove useful.

"I'm back." Sunset smiled.

"Ah, welcome home." Echo welcomed her with a hug and a kiss. "You were gone a while. Where were this friend of yours, on the other side of the Empire?"

"You could say that." Sunset shrugged. "Still looking over the tape?"

"Yes." Echo nodded. "As unsettling as it is, its our only lead."

"Yeah, it is..." Sunset sighed, remembering her conversation with Sterling. "And it could be our only chance of straightening this mess out."

"It very well could be." Echo sighed. "As long as the Great Gray Wolf is out there, fear of Nightcrawlers will only grow more and more, and everything you and I had worked for will all be for naught."

"We can only hope he's found and brought to justice then." Sunset remarked.

"Yes." Echo nuzzled against Sunset. "Hope..."

The next morning, Echo went about his usual morning routine; After taking a shower and making himself and Sunset breakfast, he went to check the mail. As he looked through the letters, he noticed one that was hoof-written, the ink spattered in places. The envelope held his name, and the word "URGENT!!"

"What's that, Echo?" Sunset asked as he sat back at the breakfast table.

"I'm not sure." He frowned.

Echo opened the envelope, and he and Sunset read the letter:

"Dear Echo Alchemy,

Your reputation as a crusader against evil, and the one who defend Nightcrawlers is well-known to us. You probably don't know who I am, but I feel it's better that way...at least till we meet face to face. No doubt you had probably heard of the Nightcrawler group known as the Shadow Stalkers. That is why I am writing to you. My family is in need of help. Bad things are going to happen, and we lack the strength or knowledge to face the monsters that are upon us. But I know you, Echo Hyperion Alchemy, have both the power and experience to repel these fiends. I humbly ask that you come to my home, and help make things right. Me and my family live in the woods not far from Daleshire. I hope to see you soon..."

Echo inspected the letter a bit more and then the envelope.

"Hmm, no name for the sender." Echo murmured.

"The poor thing seemed scared." Sunset frowned. "The Shadow Stalkers must be terrorizing them. This is not going to go over well with the Nightcrawler haters. This is going to be horrible..."

"No, this is actually quite good." Echo smiled. "If I can stop the Nightcrawlers, or better yet, talk them down, it will mean the end of their attacks, and no more bad publicity."

"You really think it'll be that easy?" Sunset asked.

"Well, it wouldn't make things any worse." Echo shrugged. "I'll have to talk to Shining and Cadance about this first..."

Not long after, Echo was standing before Shining and Cadance.

"You know where the Shadow Stalkers are?" Shining asked. "Where? I'll send a platoon of my best Guards to apprehend them."

"With all due respect, your highness, I doubt your Guards will be able to handle the Shadow Stalkers." Echo declared. "Considering what one did by himself, I imagine your Guards would be greatly outmatched."

"So what do you suggest?" Cadance asked.

"Allow me to go." Echo implored. "I'll talk with them as only a fellow Nightcrawler can. I may actually be able to defuse the situation."

"And if you can't?" Shining asked.

"Then I'll use my own abilities to contain them." Echo declared. "I doubt they'll be so hostile after I drain their magic."

"Are you sure about this, Echo?" Cadance asked. "It sounds risky. And you have others who depend on you. A foal on the way..."

"Exactly." Echo nodded. "Unless the Shadow Stalkers can be assuaged, their terrorists acts will continue, and anti-Nightcrawler sentiment will rise. I only ask that your majesties try to buy some time for me by slowing down that Registration Act and the military any way you can. I'm sure I can do this."

"Well..." Shining frowned. "It sounds impossible. But if memory serves, you've done the impossible before... Okay, you have my permission."

"Thank you, your highness." Echo smiled.

"Good luck, Echo." Cadance declared.

That afternoon, Echo began to pack for the journey.

"I take it the royals went for your suggestion?" Sunset asked.

"Indeed they did." Echo nodded. "I'll head out to Daleshire first thing tomorrow."

"Don't you mean 'we'll depart'?" Sunset smiled. "I'm coming too."

"Out of the question." Echo shook his head. "It's far too dangerous. And besides, you could go into labor any time now."

"Which is exactly why I'm coming." Sunset declared. "I don't want to be alone in this big empty house when the foal comes. Besides, you might need some help out there."

"But Sunset-" Echo pleaded.

"No 'buts', or I'll kick yours." Sunset glared. "We're a team, remember? We do this together."

"...I almost forgot how charmingly stubborn you can be, my love." Echo sighed.

"Besides, you owe me after that stunt you pulled in Cairode." Sunset scowled. "Thanks to you pinning my hooves to the floor, I missed out on all the action!"

"How many times do I have to apologize for that?" Echo groaned.

"Well, you're not leaving me behind this time." Sunset said firmly.

"Okay." Echo smiled. "I know it would be fruitless to argue... and that you would most likely pull my wings off if I stuck you to the floor again."

"For starters." Sunset smirked.

"So we'll go together." Echo declared. "Just try to stay away from any major trouble, okay?"

"Okay." Sunset kissed. "This'll be just like old times."

"I hope not." Echo cringed. "The old times were quite troublesome."

The next morning, Echo and Sunset moved out, taking a royal carriage down south to Daleshire.

"Here we go then." Echo declared.

"Yep." Sunset grinned. "Next stop, adventure."

Meanwhile, in a bunker not far from civilization...

There were ponies of all kinds mulling about, donning spec ops uniform without their coats and masks, simply kicking back and resting after their last 'mission'. Suddenly, the door opened, as two hooded figures walk in. Unlike the more regal robes of the Forefathers, these two were wearing drab cloaks made out of cotton threads.

A Griffon came out to meet the visitors. He was a bulky, muscular creature, with black feathers and long, sharp talons. His eyes were a piecing red, and his beak was large, and covered in scratches (a result of many brutal battles).

"Can I help you?" He growled.

"Hello, Fury." A male voice issued from under the first hood. "Kindly take us to your superior."

"We need to speak with him... immediately." A feminine voice emanated from the second hood.

"...Right this way." Fury nodded.

The soldiers watched them as Fury leads them towards the end of the bunker, where the iron-masked stallion was seated on a throne-like chair, cleaning and sharpening a bloodied knife, still wearing his mask. The two stopped in front of him, and one of them, the taller one, cleared his throat.

"Sir, our employers wish to speak with you." Fury announced.

The stallion paused, placing the knife down.

"Very well. You are dismissed." He said bluntly.

Fury stepped back, leaving the two to talk with the mysterious stallion.

"What do you want?" The masked stallion asked, leaning closer.

"We are here to discuss your next assignment..." The hooded male declared.

"We were.. disappointed that Quicksilver was unable to give you any information pertaining the whereabouts of those wretched Shadow Stalkers." The hooded female added.

"I tried reasoning with him... but he was a little punk." The masked stallion shrugged. "But I took care of him."

"That is good." The hooded male nodded. "We were afraid that this 'freak's' speed would be too much for you.

"Get to the point." The masked stallion snarled. "What is it you want to discuss?"

"Well, while you had no luck in finding the monster's nest, we actually might have your ticket to finding them." The hooded male declared.

"Oh? And what makes you say that?" The masked stallion asked.

"Last night, senator Malus, the creator of the Nightcrawler Registration Act, was almost killed by the infamous Great Gray Wolf." The female hooded figure announced. "He and the supporters of the Act are rallying up military support to rid the world of this monster and his 'pack', and you will be leading the charge."

"And how is this going to help me?" The masked stallion asked.

"We have it on good authority that the major opponent of the Act and the freak lover of the Nightcrawlers, Echo Alchemy-" The male hooded figure started.

"Echo? As in a Thestral?" The masked stallion interrupted.

"The very same." The hooded female nodded. "He and his wife, Sunset Shimmer, had set off to find the Shadow Stalkers, presumably following a letter they received to their home.

"Your mission? Follow them to the nest, and..." The hooded male stomped his hoof. "...Eliminate every single Nightcrawler you see there.

"And what of Echo and Sunset?" The masked stallion inquired.

"It is important that Malus's plans go through." The hooded male declared. "It brings us one step closer to ridding this world of those freaks. Echo Alchemy is the only obstacle that stands in our way of achieving that goal. He and the Shadow Stalkers."

"And Sunset must be killed so that spawn of his she's carrying dies with her." The hooded female spat. "That abomination is rumored to be a powerful Nightcrawler that must not see the light of day!"

"Say no more." The masked stallion nodded. "I assure you, The Great Gray Wolf, Echo Alchemy, this mare and her foal, and the Shadow Stalkers are all good and dead. I promise you that."

"Excellent, but to ensure you don't fail, we decided to hire an expert to accompany you." The hooded male declared.

"Expert?" The masked stallion asked.

"He means me."

Scalphunter suddenly appeared, leaning against the wall.

"And who are you?" The masked stallion inquired.

"This is Scalphunter Insidious." The hooded female revealed. "Mercenary for hire, just like you. He has been hunting Nightcrawlers and the like for many years, and we believe that he will be of great assistance in killing these freaks once and for all."

"And you think me and my crew can't handle it?" The masked stallion growled.

"Not at all, but this is the Great Gray Wolf." The hooded male pointed out. "He has the power of death and the strength of a dragon. And he has followers who are just as strong, if not stronger. And Echo Alchemy himself is not a easy target. We just want to ensure that these Nightcrawlers die. You understand?"

"...Yes." Frankensteed nodded. "Just so long as Mr. Scalphunter remembers who's running this operation."

"Of course. Scalphunter smirked. "And I hope that these two remember to pay me."

"Of course." The hooded female echoed.

"Good." Scalphunter smirked. "You know what I always say; If you want me to spill some red, ya gotta gimme a little gold."

"Excellent." The hooded male declared. "Soon, there'll be a few less freaks running around."

"And the world will be a better place for it." The female added.

"Of course, there's no harm in examining them before killing them." The masked stallion smirked under his mask. "They may be freaks, but we could learn a lot from them. Especially Echo... Oh, I can't wait to meet him in pony. What an educational encounter that will be..."