• Published 27th May 2012
  • 2,999 Views, 36 Comments

Metamorphosis - Eneha



Queen Chrysalis will stop at nothing to exact vengeance upon the ponies that foiled her plans.

  • ...
2
 36
 2,999

Chapter 2: Opportunities

Chapter Two [Rework in progress]

The sun rose over Ponyville and the ponies—and other such creatures—went about their day. Twilight Sparkle and her friends arrived later into the morning, having spent the previous night in Canterlot celebrating the union of her brother Shining Armor (and his Princess Cadence) along with the defeat of the Changelings that had imprisoned the Princess.

When they arrived at Ponyville, the girls said their goodbyes and went their separate ways. Applejack escorted Apple Bloom back to Sweet Apple Acres, Rainbow Dash zoomed off to the clouds, Pinkie Pie bounced off, Fluttershy went along to check up on her animal friends, and Rarity lead Sweetie Bell back home.

“Well, Spike, let’s head home,” Twilight said with a proud smile. “I have so much to learn about protection spells, affection spells, googley-eye spells and real headache spells, and then I have to brush up on my Changeling history! ..We can stay up all night reading together, it can be like a slumber party!”

“Uhh, Twi, that totally sounds like fun and all, but when will you have time for all of that reading in between helping Cherilee and the birds?” the small, purple dragon replied.

“Oh no!” Twilight gasped as she put her hoof to her face in frustration, “This whole wedding through my entire schedule off. I was so busy worrying about my brother not telling me about the wedding and then the whole evil imposter thing—I didn’t even recheck the speech I had prepared for Cherilee’s class!”

“I’m sure it’s fine, Twilight. You would have caught any big mistakes the second time you read it. Or the third. …Or the fourth,” Spike muttered, recounting each read through by counting on his claws.

“No time to waste, Spike!” Twilight cried as she scooped Spike up unto her back with her magic and trotted off at a quick pace. “I have to check it a fifth time to make sure I didn’t mess anything up! If we hurry, I’ll have time to finalize the migration pattern with the pegasi before we meet with the birds this afternoon.”

“I can’t wait,” Spike groaned.

***

Deep in the Everfree Forest, the dark threat swarmed ever closer to Ponyville. Queen Chrysalis led her Changeling minions with their recently acquired strength; reaching their destination shouldn’t take much longer. Perhaps they’d even arrive before sunset, allowing them adequate time to sneak around and get in position. Chrysalis didn’t know what sort of ponies lived there, but she would start how she always started—by finding the strongest—or most loved—creature and making it disappear.

Someday soon, Chrysalis knew she would have the chance to crush the Princess and her new husband—no matter who or what she had to banish or impersonate, she would love nothing more than to crush the pair and take control of Shining Armor for good.

***

Zecora panted heavily, running over the aging tracks of the Changelings at full speed. Her suspicions were correct—they were headed straight for Ponyville as fast as they could, and once they swam in the essence of their leader, they were all able to take flight.

Even with her lean, conditioned muscles, she was simply incapable of keeping up with their flying. All she could hope for was that her message would not arrive too late.

***

After a full day of lecturing fillies over the wonders of dragons—which involved a lot of flattery for Spike and a less than ideal amount of audience participation for Twilight—she began researching aerial navigation and weather predictions with several pegasi. After that, Twilight had met up with Fluttershy to help convey those findings to the young birds of Ponyville. It was well past sunset before the pair had returned home; with an exaggerated sigh, Twilight collapsed onto her bed. “Another job well done, Spike,” she said tiredly.

“Gee Twilight, it was awful nice of you to help so many ponies out today, but you look exhausted. Maaaybe you should take a day off for yourself sometime, and take a break from saving the day and helping everypony and all that,” Spike suggested.

“Oh Spike, there’s no need for that. I mean, I would love to read up on those spells sometime, but being a good friend is what’s most important to me. I know everypony appreciates my help.” Twilight rolled onto her side, facing the wall. “But… maybe I will sneak off and catch up on some reading for a little while tomorrow,” she smiled, closing her eyes. “Goodnight, Spike,” she called as the small dragon nestled into his own bed, and she turned the lights off with a flash of pink magic.


“G’night, Twilight,” he said with a yawn.

***

Her?! She lives in Ponyville? Oh this is just too good. The stupid, purple unicorn would soon be at the mercy of the Queen, and we’ll just see how powerful her pathetic magic is without her brother’s love as a weapon. This time, it was going to be too easy—no pony noticed her replacement of the beloved Princess before; now, with Twilight out of the way, Chrysalis could easily work her way deep into the heart of the town and bleed them dry.


Oh, Twilight Sparkle, Chrysalis thought, smiling wickedly as she watched the pony trotting off to what had be her home. Soon you will lose everything. Once the Changelings get established, Chrysalis knew her best bet would be to banish Twilight the next time the foal was alone...

***

“Now you will pay, Twilight Sparkle,” a voice echoed tauntingly as Twilight drowned in a sea of emerald green light. The mighty and terrifying Changeling Queen had returned, and she stood over a cowering, shivering Twilight. “Now I’ll take you, and all of the love anypony has ever had for you!”


“No!!” Twilight cried, shivering—why was she unable to use any magic? Or for that matter, move? She looked up to face the sneering Changeling Queen. She looked distorted—the whole world did—as if nothing quite made sense. All she knew was that she was terrified and powerless.

“Stop right there!” an unfamiliar, male voice beamed as a tall, dark and presumably handsome stallion leapt out to Twilight’s aid. She had never seen him and although she couldn’t make out any distinguishable features, she swooned quietly. “My love for Twilight will stop you, Changeling Queen!”

“Nooo!” the Changeling hissed as she reared up and began slowly retreating.

“Twilight, you must run,” the mysterious stallion called, “Run— …up!

“O-okay,” Twilight agreed, dazed, “I’ll run—wait a second. Run where?

“My love will wake the power of this ancient spell, and I’ll be able to help save Equestria up!” he said, beginning to sound more and more distorted as the world spun around her, almost melting away.


The stallion turned to face Twilight and her heart skipped a beat—who was this heroic pony? But his features soon began to twist and change and Twilight was soon looking into the green eyes and purple scales of her companion, Spike—she was immediately jarred awake.

“…already, Twilight,” Spike said, shaking the unicorn. “It’s not like you to sleep in so late.”

“AH! Wait, what—Spike!” Twilight cried, exasperated. She shook her head quickly from side to side, trying to shake herself into reality. The dream—or was it a nightmare?—slowly began to bleed away and she began to get ahold of herself. “Sorry, Spike, I was in the middle of a really… weird dream,” she laughed shakily, “I wonder what it means.” She shivered as she thought of the menace of the Changeling Queen, but was greeted by pleasant warmth at the thought of her rescuer.

“Maybe you have a book on it,” Spike teased under his breath. “Speaking of books, I got out all the ones you asked for and your favorite saddlebag. Now you’re ready for some good R&R!”

“Oh, thank you, Spike,” Twilight said, jumping out of bed and brushing her mane with the usual magic. She continued to get ready and saddled up, gently putting a couple books on each side. When Spike left the room, she quickly dashed over to one of the bags she received at the wedding. She quickly tucked a small, rectangular shape into her saddlebag before calling out a quick goodbye to Spike. With that, she was on her way to a nice, peaceful spot where she could relax and read whatever she liked. After all, all of your worries melt away when you read a good book.