• Published 16th Oct 2015
  • 544 Views, 80 Comments

The Lonely Leader - Captain Whatever



A story about an alicorn not of royal heritage.

  • ...
50
 80
 544

Chapter 1

My name is Michael Griffon Hugheston. I was born in Scoltland to a green pegasus and a brown unicorn. I am an alicorn, one not of the royal heritage. Celestia and Luna were born into it. Cadence was adopted into it. Twilight Sparkle was chosen to be one. Me? I wasn't any of those. I'm just a normal pony, as far as popularity goes. I can cast magic, I can fly, I can perform hefty tasks...I learned to get used to it pretty early in life. I may not be a prince or anything, but I'm totally fine with it. My only problem is that I am, unfortunately, immortal. At around the age of sixteen, I was kidnapped by somepony whose identity is still foreign to me. He placed an immortality spell that he cleverly locked so that it couldn't be undone. Even Celestia's powers are useless against it. This took place about the time Nightmare Moon was banished to the moon.


I found myself at the Royal Castle speaking to Luna. This is the first time I have told anypony about my curse at all, and I'm very sure it won't be my last.

"All this is true?" I nodded, and she hung her head.

"I am sorry, Michael."

"Please just call me Mike. All my friends do it. Also, I have no friends." She giggled at my smartaleck statement. While I have lived in a constant nightmare, I still found time to be witty.

"Seriously, though, I prefer just 'Mike,' if you don't mind."

"Very well. So you say that you will live forever?"

I nodded. "Even Celestia can't kill me."

We sat in an awkward silence for a while.

"Luna?"

"Yes?"

"Did you forget your line?"

Thirty seconds later, she was gripping her sides, laughing like a...well...a crazy pony.

I guess I still have that touch, after a few centuries. I smirked, knowing my wit had lucked out again.

"Mike, you truly are a pleasure to have around. Why don't you visit more often?"

"I have no clue, to be honest. I can try to come here more often, if you want."

She smiled a little at that, and as I walked out the door, heading for my home in Ponyville, she said she hoped to see me next week. I walked out, bidding her adieu, and I headed towards my home. It was like this every week. I went to her bedchambers, and we spoke about something different each time. This time, she was curious about my past, so I spoke about it.

As I walked up to the Crystal Castle, I knocked. Spike answered, and he let me in. Princess Twilight was letting me stay with her until I found a permanent home. I walked up to my bedroom door (third door on the right), and opened the door, finding my room in shambles. Good thing Twilight didn't see it, or else I'd have nowhere to live.

I walked over to my bed, lifted my pillow, and grabbed my bit sack. I then headed to the candy store.

I saw Bonbon behind the counter, handing a small sack to Scootaloo. As I approached the counter, the young pegasus ran into my leg, and I learned right there what linoleum floors taste like. Fun fact: they don't taste good.

"Sorry, mister." She dashed out the door, not paying any attention to what she just did.

"Are you alright, sir?" Bonbon asked.

I lifted myself off the ground and saw two Bonbons. I shook my head, and my vision returned.

"I think I'll be fine."

"Good. What can I get you today?"

I looked around the counter, and saw many items. Gumdrops, hard candies, taffies, chocolate cherries, everything was available.

"I'll take a few of the suckers with gum in 'em. One in cherry, one in orange, and one in grape."

She grabbed them, handed them over, and rang them up. "Six bits please."

I levitated six bits from my sack and floated them over to her, which she took with a smile and dispensed into her cash register. I thanked her, bit into my sucker, and left. Yes, I bit into my sucker. With age and experience comes strong teeth. Ask Celestia.

As I walked home, I ran into Vinyl Scratch, and her earphones fell off. I awaited my impending doom.

"Sorry about that, dude." Wha...did I hear that right?

"Oh, no worries." I was puzzled beyond belief, knowing that that mare loved her music. However, I didn't question it, and went home. I went to my bedroom, and wrote in my personal journal.

September 13, 2015

Day #5,777,042

Today was a pretty great day. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. Unless it counts to buy something from the candy shop. I found out what linoleum flooring tastes like, and it is awful beyond belief. All thanks to Scootaloo, who should pay a little bit more attention to her surroundings. Anywho, my lonely life continues on, but I have come to believe that maybe it's not so bad. I know that I may never be mortal again, but I'm starting to enjoy it a little more. I know this seems like a preposterous notion, but maybe I'm not alone, and maybe I have a bigger purpose than endlessly wandering. Again, I know it sounds very unbelievable, but you never know.

Mike G. Hugheston

I usually wrote these journal entries as more of letters to Celestia. She had requested I do this so I can feel more alive. If you ask me, it was some therapeutic way to help me cope, and I must say, it has worked so far.

I lit a dragonbreath candle, and the flame glowed a vibrant green. Spike had given me one so I didn't have to ask him to send my letters frequently. I ripped my page from my booklet, dipped it in the tiny flame, and watched as it sailed through my window, through the air, until it was gone from my viewpoint. I decided to head to the local pizzeria and buy myself a small 6 inch extra cheese with a garlic stuffed crust. Contrary to popular belief, we ponies do actually have processed meat. We just never use it for anything because, well, we're herbivores.

I ate my pizza for a bit, before I got the feeling that I was being watched. As I glanced behind me, a pink blur whizzed out of sight. Maybe I'll ask her about it later.

I left, and headed to Sugarcube Corner. I asked for Pinkie Pie, and she-

"Hiya!" I nearly jumped a whole foot in the air.

"GAH! Pinkie, don't interrupt me while I'm narrating."

"Sorry. So how you doing?"

"Not bad. I was just wondering, we're you spying on me?"

She tilted her head. "What are you talking about?"

"Earlier, today, at the pizzeria? I saw something pink trying to watch me."

She shook her head. "Nope. Wasn't me. I work until 5:30 PM. Say, that reminds me, our clock broke, what time is it?"

"Time for you, my friend, to get a watch." I couldn't resist. We were both laughing our heads off for about a minute and a half.

"Seriously, Mike. What time is it?"

I looked at my hoof, which conveniently had a watch. "5:28. Two minutes until you're free."

"Okay. That's good. I'll just pack things up then."

"You do that. I'll head home. See ya tomorrow."

As I headed home, I glanced behind me, and the pink blur appeared again. This time, however I followed it. Long story short, I gave up after an hour of not finding it. I headed back to the castle, and my room was...clean. Everything was sorted properly, my bed was made, and my carpet was spotless.

I freaked out.

After about five minutes of having a breakdown, I collapsed on the carpet.