• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 1,261 Views, 27 Comments

The Nature of Nurture - lola2901



Apple Jack is tasked by Princess Celestia with a difficult task; raising a baby siren.

  • ...
0
 27
 1,261

Chapter Two

A jolt of surprise hits me, but it’s obvious Twi’s reaction is far more shocked. Twilight sputters slightly, blinking. “He-what? Why would he ever do that?” she asks, staring up at her former mentor in utter shock.

Celestia sighs, bowing her head. “Not everyone in the history books has a good heart, Twilight.” She glances over her shoulder, levitating what must be the egg she spoke of out from the chariot. It’s oblong, and white with a couple faint ocean grey freckles-it could have been the egg from any old bird’s nest if it weren’t the size of a newborn filly. “This is the egg. I assume you’ve all guessed by now what I need you to do?” she asks, managing a tired smile.

Pinkie raises her hoof like a foal is class, looking perplexed. “If you mean an egg and spoon race, we’re gonna need a way big spoon!”

I take a deep breath, shaking my head. I really shouldn’t question her darned ways-after all, this is Pinkie Pie we’re talking about.

Fluttershy lifts her head, hesitant, but a faint glimmer of eagerness in her eyes. “Um, Princess Celestia? I know a lot about helping animal hatch from eggs. We could keep it at my house for now and-”

“I’m sorry Fluttershy, but just as I had you in specific mind for reforming Discord, I have another pony I’d like to be in charge of hatching and raising this siren,” Celestia says firmly.

Fluttershy’s eyes widen, and then she bends her neck slightly, taking a step back. “Oh, um, okay then,” she murmurs, managing a smile to try and hide her disappointment.

Celestia’s crimson eyes travel across each of us, slowly in turn, flickering across our faces. And then she pauses.

“Apple Jack,” she begins. “You have a strong loving family that you tie together and care for. Your family means so much to you-this sort of love is what I want this siren to grow up learning.”

She’s still speaking, but I’ve gone deaf. Me? She wants me to do this for her?

“I trust you to do your best, Apple Jack,” she says, levitating it towards me, so it hung in the soft summer air right before me, enveloped in her soft golden magic.

A moment pauses, and then I force a smile, tipping my hat to Celestia. “Well shucks Princess, thanks for the compliment!” I say brightly, careful as I set the egg on the ground. Getting it home is going to be gosh dang hard, but maybe I can get Twi or Rarity to help me out. “Uh, by the way Princess, when do you think it might be hatching?”

“It’s difficult to say-when he stole the egg he locked it in a magic container that slowed it’s development to nearly a standstill. The shell of siren eggs are naturally resistant to magic, and though I could probably cast an examining spell strong enough to learn, it could cause damage to the unborn siren, so I’m afraid it’s guesswork, really,” Celestia says, lifting a hoof to rub her forehead.

Glancing up, I notice for the first time dark circles beneath the Princess’s eyes like ripples in a dark pond. Her cheerful wisdom seems so tired, so subdued. I pause to ask her what’s wrong, but I pull back. It’s above my position to be asking any such questions.

“A month, at very least,” Celestia continues. “A year at most. You’ll have Spike send me updates regularly?” she asks Twilight as she steps up into the chariot. “Where is he anyway?”

Twilight pauses, jolting out of some sort of reverie she was caught in. “Hm? Oh, right! Of course I will, Princess Celestia. He’s sleeping-he was up late helping me organize my castle library in chronological order,” she says, nodding firmly.

The Princess smiles tiredly then nods, sitting down. “I trust you’ll all help Apple Jack the best you can. It will be a few years before this task will be complete, I’m afraid; but there are no other ponies who I trust with such. Good luck.”

With that, the pegasi guards gallop forward, then take off, guiding the Princess’s chariot off into the sky towards Canterlot and the royal duties await her.

I pause, then glance down at the egg, it’s cold shell pressed up against my fur. “Well,” I say, taking a deep breath, smiling reluctantly. “This dang sure is gonna be an adventure-just not the kind I expected.”

“Wow darling, it’s so fantastic that Celestia gave you such an important task!” fawns Rarity, beaming. “First Fluttershy, now you-you don’t suppose over time she’ll give us each important tasks? Oh, I wonder what mine could be!”

Pinkie bounces over, cheerful and bubbly as ever. “Oh my gosh! We’re gonna have a baby! We’re gonna have a baby! Do you think it’ll be super chubby chubs?” she asks, crouching down as if to get eye to eye with the egg.

“Since we’re all going to be helping you out darling, maybe I could make some baby dresses for her? Nothing is more adorable than a baby in little baby shoes!” Rarity adds.

Fluttershy hangs back, a bit cautious. “But aren’t sirens dangerous?” she asks, her voice coming out in a squeak.

“Whatever,” Rainbow huffs. “What does Celestia think, we’re her babysitters? Do we seriously-”

“Girls, quiet!” Twilight says loudly. We all jump a bit at this sudden outburst. She takes a deep breath to calm herself, then continues. “I know you’re all excited, but this is a siren’s egg. You didn’t go through the mirror-you didn’t meet the sirens. They aren’t anything like ponies. They feed of negative feelings-they ruin lives just to make themselves stronger! It’s part of their instincts! We can’t make a siren turn out right, but we’ll do what Celestia asked and take care of it until she’s ready to take it away. Alright?”

“Of course,” I say, nodding. I can’t help glancing back down to the egg. Hatch it. Keep it alive. Return it to Celestia. Sounds like a plan, I suppose.