• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 1,261 Views, 27 Comments

The Nature of Nurture - lola2901



Apple Jack is tasked by Princess Celestia with a difficult task; raising a baby siren.

  • ...
0
 27
 1,261

Chapter Twelve

“And if Brio gets hungry, take him out to find some negativity somewhere in town. If he’s crying and you’re not sure why, try giving him the koala teddy Pinkie brought by. You sure you understand how to put on his diapers?” I ask Big Mac, carefully using my hooves to braid my mane.

He nods, leaning up against the doorway. “Eeyup,” he says casually, crossing his hooves.

“If you need anything, ask Granny for help-but use your better judgement, if she says something silly go ask the Cakes, or better yet, come find me at the restaurant,” I tell him, tying off the braid.

“Eeyup,” he repeats.

“And have you seen where Charlie’s got to?”

“That old scarecrow?” Big Mac says surprisingly. “I think Winona dragged it off to play with.”

Something is off. His forehead looks just slightly damp, and he’s chewing his lip. I could swear he’s lying, but Big Mac doesn’t lie. He was my role model as a kid; I wouldn’t be the Element of Honest if he hadn’t been my big brother. “Alright. Oh, and while we’re on the topic, when Apple Bloom gets home, don’t forget to tell her today’s her day to feed Winona. If she’s not home before nine, I want you to go get her, alright?” I say, looking over my reflection in Granny’s old full-length mirror.

Rarity dropped by a few hours ago, apparently to help me plan my outfit. I’d been planning on going just as I was, but apparently that wasn’t good enough for the restaurant she’s sending me and my surprise date to. Sighing, I reach behind my head, curling the braid into a fancy bun, like she showed me. She tried to get me to wear a velvety green dress the color of ferns, but it was just to done up for my tastes, so I got a pass to just wear my duds from the first Gala.

Leaving my Stetson hat on the bed, I pick up Rarity’s embroidered one, setting it on top of my mane carefully as not to mess it up. I look mighty fine, I suppose.

Letting out a long slow sigh, I give Big Mac a smile. “Thanks big brother,” I tell him as I walk over, snuggling into his shoulder. “I guess I could use a night to just have fun.” Maybe not my personal definition of fun, but maybe things will turn out alright.

He smiles, wrapping his hooves around me in a warm tight hug. “Take care of yourself,” he says in his familiar gravelly voice, his chest vibrating slightly as he speaks.

Bitting back tears, I pull away, nodding. He hasn’t talked that much in weeks. “Same to you, big brother,” I tell him.

Hesitantly turning, I trot past him, down the hall into my own room, approaching Brio’s cradle. He’s napping, apparently exhausted from today’s latest tantrum. Bending, I pull the apple quilt from the barn up over his shoulders, nuzzling him gently. “Never change,” I murmur in his ear. It flicks gently as he sleeps, hopefully dreaming beautiful dreams.

Turning, I shut the door softly behind me, meeting Big Mac by the stairs. We head down into the front room, where Granny Smith is sitting in her favorite chair, pouring over a scrap book.

“Hey Granny, my date will be here soon. You gonna be alright?” I ask, pausing by the closed door.

She looks up, offering a smile, her dentures reflecting the lantern light. For a moment I expect her to mistake me for my mother again, but Granny Smith simple rocks slightly in her chair. “You knock that stallion dead, girl,” she creaks, beaming. “Where is this mystery fella anyway? It’s not good manners to show up late.”

Stifling a chuckle, I sit back on the couch. “Whoever he is he ain’t late. It won’t be six for another twenty or so minutes. I’ve probably got enough time to grab a leftover apple turnover from breakfast and-”

“You’re on a diet and you’re eating at the restaurant,” Granny Smith reminds me, not hesitating half a second to reprimand me. “Do you want to lose those extra forty pounds?”

“It’s not forty, it’s fifteen!” I protest, my face flushing red. All the same I know she’s right. I really do need to get back in shape.

I glance at the door, shifting uncomfortably. It’s definitely been a while since I’ve been a date, and I’m nervous, to put it lightly.

We wait for about fifteen minutes before there’s the sound of a light tapping on a door, someone knocking.

I stride over to the door, pausing in front of it. Smoothing the collar of my Gala dress, I take a deep breath, steadying myself. Glancing over my shoulder, I smile at Big Mac, watching Granny snoring in her chair. “I’ll see ya’ll when I get home, alright?” Before he can respond, I pull the door open.

Using his magic, he pushes his thick glasses up his nose, the glass reflecting his purple eyes as he offers an awkward smile. “Ah, hello again Miss Apple Jack,” Trenderhoof says nervously. “My apologies, I wasn’t aware who this date was with and considering how our last encounter turned out-”

Doing my best to hide my frustration, I smile. “Nah, it’s all good. Maybe now you can actually get to know me instead of making some silly assumption about what I’m like,” I tease, sauntering past him. “Don’t worry, this is all just for fun and friendship anyhow.”

We head out across the path from Sweet Apple Acres out to Ponyville. As the sun starts setting over the orchard, I glance at the lanky brown stallion, trying to understand what it was that had gone through Rarity’s mind when she set this up.

I take a deep breath, trying to figure out how to get a conversation moving again. “So, how’s that journal you’re writing for?”

His eyes light up, and I can tell I’ve touched on a topic he cares about. “I’m actually finishing up an article on this year’s Gala. I’d have it out by now, but my husky Alexander chewed up my noted,” Trenderhoof chuckles.

I glance at him curiously. “I didn’t know you have a dog. Have I introduced you to Winona? She’s the family dog-a border collie, actually,” I tell him, smiling.

“I didn’t know you had a dog either,” Trenderhoof says, beaming. “Sometimes I take him traveling, but he gets sick when he rides the train.”

“You going to go to the Crystal Empire for your magazine one of these days? Out on the border, there’s lots of snow-your husky might like playing out there,” I mention.

He laughs, grinning. “I’ve actually never been there, but I’ve actually been trying to get the editor to send me there. If I get it I’ll see if I can take him. You really like dogs, don’t you?”

Nodding, I smile. “I love them. I’d probably get some more if the farm weren’t already so busy.” And if money weren’t so tight. “I think I’d get a tiny teacup yorkie.”

“You don’t seem like the yorkie type to me,” Trenderhoof says, eyes widening in surprise.

I chuckle. “Maybe not, but those little yappers make me laugh,” I admit, tossing my head to get a strand of mane from my eyes.

The conversation goes on for a while, mostly focusing on dogs, which seems to be our biggest common ground. Sometimes when he’s talking about himself, he’ll ramble on for a bit, but that’s nothing compared to how much he talks about Alexander. I don’t mind, not too much, because sometimes I just prefer to listen.

“Oh look, here we are!” Trenderhoof says in surprise, magically tightening his tie as we reach Misty Shores Grill. Magical unicorn lights hover near the windows and door, casting the building in dim colors. It’s a bit too fancy for my tastes, but I suppose I am getting mighty hungry.

He glances at me, then at the door, then after a half second pause, blinks as if remembering something. Magically, Trend grabs the handle, stepping back to pull the door open. “After you,” he says nervously.

I nod, smiling, then turn to step inside. I crash right into unicorn, who yelps in surprise, dropping her cup. Quick to my feet, I shake off the ice, shivering. “My mistake, sorry ma’am-”

“Watch where you’re going!” the pink haired unicorn snaps, flouncing past me. Trenderhoof abandons the door, hurrying over to help.

“Apple Jack, are you all right?” he ask, brushing my main from my eyes. “That was quite the crash.”

“No, I’m fine,” I sigh, brushing at my dress. It doesn’t matter-the red wine has already start setting into the fabric. Rarity is going to have a heart attack. “Come on, let’s head inside. It’s not like things are going to get worse, are they now?”

Author's Note:

In case you can't tell, the next chapter's going to be a chapter of date-gone-to-Tartarus shenanigans. :trollestia: