• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 1,261 Views, 27 Comments

The Nature of Nurture - lola2901



Apple Jack is tasked by Princess Celestia with a difficult task; raising a baby siren.

  • ...
0
 27
 1,261

Chapter Fourteen

“We just need to check a few things, and then we can send you home,” Nurse Redheart says with an apologetic smile. “In the meantime, you have some visitors. Should I let them in?”

I rub at my forehead, forcing a smile. “Thanks, that’d be swell.”

She nods, then slips out of the room, opening the door behind her. A cyan blur zips in, nearly crashing into the wall. “AJ! I came as fast as I could-what happened?”

I lean back into the stiff hospital pillow as Apple Bloom and Big Mac come in behind her, followed by a concerned looking Fluttershy. “Peanuts,” I admit, closing my eyes.

Fluttershy furrows her brows in confusion, tipping her head to the side. “Um, peanuts?”

“I’m a mite allergic, nothing serious,” I say, brushing it off. Big Mac snorts, rolling his eyes sarcastically.

“A mite,” he echoes.

“You fainted because of a nut?” Rainbow asks, disbelieving. She snorts, shaking her head. “Seriously?”

My eyes flick back to Big Mac, and I sit up slightly. “Where’s Brio?” I ask, ignoring Dash.

“Out in the hall,” Mac said, flicking his tail at the door.

“By himself?” I ask, raising an eyebrow.

He shakes his head. “The fella who took you on the date offered to hold him while we came in.”

I relax into the bed, letting out a long low breath. “Alright. Thanks Mac.”

Apple Bloom drops something on my bed, a white bottle. “I brought yer allergy pills, just in case,” she says, the words coming out in a grumpy huff.

“And thank you, Bloom,” I say, grabbing her by the hoof and pulling her onto the bed in a hug. “Sorry to worry y’all. I’m fine. Hey sugar, you still planning on making your Nightmare Night costume this year?”

She pauses, then nods. snuggling closer. “I ain’t much with a needle and thread, but I’ll help you if you want it.”

She closes her eyes with a tired smile, and nods again. “Can I do the Running of the Leaves this year? Scootaloo says she’s gonna.”

“Course you can sugar,” I murmur, hugging her close.

“Is there anything I can do for you?” Fluttershy finally asks in a soft voice, shuffling her hooves.

I shake my head. “Thanks, but you get back to your animals and your home. It’s mighty late. You too, Dash-I’ll be fine.”

Rainbow frowns, then turns, tail lashing behind her almost defiantly. “Yeah, I guess I better get going. I have someone waiting for me anyway,” she says before disappearing in a flash. Flutters followed hesitantly after.

Big Mac gives me a meaningful look, glancing at the empty doorway. I sigh, pulling away from Apple Bloom. “Oh don’t look at me like that Mac, that was a long time ago. I’m sure Dash isn’t still upset about that.”

Apple Bloom looks up, frowning. “About what?”

I shake my head. “Nothing important sugar cube. It was a long time ago, and it doesn’t matter no more.”

“But I wanna know now!”

I glance at Big Mac, as if I didn’t hear Bloom. “Hey Mac? Can you go get Brio? Tell Trenderhoof thank you, and that I’m sorry things didn’t turn out so good.”

“Eeyup.”

Author's Note:

So guys, I was wondering; do you prefer these shorter chapters? Or do you like the longer ones better? Tell me what you think! :twilightsmile: